Menu

Missing KC,MO baby

I don't think I would ever agree to a polygraph-- I'm pretty certain I would fail it if the questions were emotionally fraught. I'm a very emotional/ anxious person even under normal circumstances. I also have VERY vivid dreams (when I was a kid I would mix up my dreams with reality) and if the question reflected anything I've dreamed about, I'm not sure my emotional response would reflect reality.

I am not sensing the parents are criminally involved here, and if the police are accusing her of hurting her abducted child I don't blame her if she does stop cooperating. I've watched a lot of true crime TV and the police often want to blame anyone as quickly as possible because it reflects poorly on their job performance if cases-- especially high profile cases-- go cold.

I've taken them twice -- to be bonded -- I failed both times because I was scared beyond belief -- and I was that nervous and the appointments had been set up in advance, it was not adversarial or anything.

I was hired and bonded both times despite the polygraph results.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that except that the dad usually worked this shift, didn't he? So maybe the mom just got used to it?

An article I read after the last time I posted said that was the the first time the father worked overnight:

Irwin said that this was the first night he had ever worked the overnight shift and Bradley said it was the first night she had ever left the door unlocked.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14688581&sid=81&p=2

If it was the first time my husband was gone overnight, I'd have triple checked every door and window. :confused:

Well I could see 15. Tops. Dh comes home, checks on baby, baby not in crib, goes to bedroom, baby not with wife, goes to check with siblings and in living room, goes back to wife to wake her up and ask wth is baby, wife gets up and repeats dh's search - then it hits them. OMG. Call the police.

All except the last step happened to us. It was heart pounding terrifying! Turns out our 12 month old had fallen out of his bed and didn't even wake up - just rolled under his bed still with a death grip on his buzz lightyear doll and stayed asleep there the entire time. It wasn't until we pulled on the buzz from half under his bed that we saw his fingers. He had scooted all the way to the wall. I literally had phone in hand to 911 and we were both a freaking hysterical mess when dh picked up that doll to hold.

Same thing happened here, except we found dd in the closet. We had a pond and were TERRIFIED she had gotten out. I had the phone in hand getting ready to call 911 when ds found her. Another time I "lost" my now 13yo, but when I went back in the house to get the phone to call 911, I realized he was asleep on the couch under some clothes. Both times it was probably 10-15 minutes before we were ready to call the police.

Lots of people have a "charging station" type area. For some it's the kitchen counter, for some it's an hall entry table,..

Many people cannot sleep with the phone on the room. My dh has his cellphone set to ping/vibrate for emails, FB updates, texts, calendar, and so forth. And of course it lights up each time too. He doesn't want to turn it off bc then he forgets to turn them back on. But neither of us can sleep through the noise, vibration sounds/sensation, or flickering light. So dh doesn't sleep with his phone near the bed. It's on a shelf next to the key hooks so he doesn't forget it on his way to work.

I sleep with mine next to the bed and a packed diaper bag/purse. But I don't have my phone set for any notifications to annoy me all night either.:)

This is what we have had in the past, except now dh uses his as an alarm, so it is on his nightstand.

ETA: We do not have a landline, but even when we did there was no phone in our room.

I wondered about the cell phones too. Unless they are pay as you go, disposable type, can't they check the records of the phones, to see if they were calling each other? And totally trivial, but why 3 phones?

Cell phone records can be subpoened so destruction of the phones or stealing the phones accomplishes nothing.

According to what the mom said during their new conference yesterday, two of the phones were cell phones, the third was a house phone (she did not elaborate) that she had left with the other two b/c it didn't work/she was going to re-program it. I found that odd because she was so distraught that she could barely get a sentence out BUT she was able to articulate that one of the phones needed to be re-programmed. But, that's just me - I am suspicious by nature.

Cell phone records can be subpoened so destruction of the phones or stealing the phones accomplishes nothing.

According to what the mom said during their new conference yesterday, two of the phones were cell phones, the third was a house phone (she did not elaborate) that she had left with the other two b/c it didn't work/she was going to re-program it. I found that odd because she was so distraught that she could barely get a sentence out BUT she was able to articulate that one of the phones needed to be re-programmed. But, that's just me - I am suspicious by nature.

You shouldn't have to program a home phone. We do have a new type of phone, it's not a land line, but you can program you cell phone to it, like forwarding. Dh's mom gave it to us and we never use, but it allows you to save battery life on your cell phone apparently. It looks just like a regular cordless phone.

Latest on local radio is that a police source is saying there was a call made "from the home" at 2:30am. No details were given as to who was called or whether it was a cell or land line.

Also, there is now a search underway in an undeveloped area off a main highway loop around the metroplex. The local radio talk host said this is the second search of that area, which is interesting because I don't think there were any reports of the first search of this new area.

(ETA - This search area is the land fill of the the article Donna linked in her post below.)

It's totally dominating the local news. I cannot predict how I'd behave under similar circumstances, but these parents are very much on the defensive. Looks terrible.

Edited by AuntieM

This is confusing. They also said at one point that one of the cell phones "didn't work". :glare: I suppose that could mean the same thing as "she was going to re-program it", but they've stated 3 cell phones, and now saying 2 cells and a house phone? Can't seem to keep their wording straight.

In other updated news, apparently they've searched a landfill based on a tip. :sad: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_missouri/northland/Tip-Johnson-County-landfill-search-tied-to-Lisa-Irwin-case

This is confusing. They also said at one point that one of the cell phones "didn't work". :glare: I suppose that could mean the same thing as "she was going to re-program it", but they've stated 3 cell phones, and now saying 2 cells and a house phone? Can't seem to keep their wording straight.

In other updated news, apparently they've searched a landfill based on a tip. :sad: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_missouri/northland/Tip-Johnson-County-landfill-search-tied-to-Lisa-Irwin-case

i would imagine that messing up what to specifically call a phone at a traumatic time like this is perfectly understandable -- and it may merely be a case of semantics -- I watched the video, the mother made a clear delineation between the fact that two of the phones were 'cell' phones and the other phone was a phone that did not work and she was going to re-program it. That's what she said -- one of the phones didn't work...I think she then said that it wasn't a cell phone and she was going to re-program it. I would have to say that what I heard points to there being 2 cell phones and a house phone. Not keeping wording straight is something that 'bothers' me -- but that is me.

Everything you wrote above makes perfect sense to me. I am just now hearing about the landfill -- the fact remains that the baby is still missing and the search continues rather close to the family home relatively speaking.

An article I read after the last time I posted said that was the the first time the father worked overnight:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14688581&sid=81&p=2

If it was the first time my husband was gone overnight, I'd have triple checked every door and window. :confused:

Zuzu, you're a good investigator!!

Ok, I'm having a really hard time with this statement by the mother. That was the first time her DH was ever gone overnight and it was the first time she ever left the door unlocked??? That's CRAZY.

I have a hard time with stuff like this. I so want to believe that the police are doing their jobs correctly but well, sometimes they don't. Maybe it's ultimately for the best that we know police/labs/FBI/whatever can screw stuff up but it makes life harder!!!

If the family is truly innocent, can you imagine how frustrating it would be to have the police keep searching your backyard over and over and over again?? Wouldn't you just want to scream at the police to do something, anything to find your kid??

I also cannot imagine waking up at 4:00 in the morning and finding a child missing. Wouldn't your brain just fritz out? That's just unimaginable. You'd keep searching in closets and drawers and cars, etc. etc. But I think after 20 minutes of searching, wouldn't you take the risk of looking like a fool and just call the police???

The lawyering up thing... ack. You lawyer up, you look guilty. You don't lawyer up, you look like an idiot. Either way, you lose.

If the family is truly innocent, can you imagine how frustrating it would be to have the police keep searching your backyard over and over and over again?? Wouldn't you just want to scream at the police to do something, anything to find your kid??

I think you've made excellent points - I've quoted you above b/c if you were innocent, wouldn't you right back there with them searching or watching them search if you weren't permitted to join them. If you didn't like the way they were searching, why not call a Private Investigator. I have screamed those words at the police, they told me to hire a PI -- I did. The PI found her.....in a matter of hours.

I think you've made excellent points - I've quoted you above b/c if you were innocent, wouldn't you right back there with them searching or watching them search if you weren't permitted to join them. If you didn't like the way they were searching, why not call a Private Investigator. I have screamed those words at the police, they told me to hire a PI -- I did. The PI found her.....in a matter of hours.

Mariann, you lost a child and your PI found her? Am I reading that correctly??

Latest on local radio is that a police source is saying there was a call made "from the home" at 2:30am. No details were given as to who was called or whether it was a cell or land line.

Also, there is now a search underway in an undeveloped area off a main highway loop around the metroplex. The local radio talk host said this is the second search of that area, which is interesting because I don't think there were any reports of the first search of this new area.

(ETA - This search area is the land fill of the the article Donna linked in her post below.)

It's totally dominating the local news. I cannot predict how I'd behave under similar circumstances, but these parents are very much on the defensive. Looks terrible.

:crying: Oh, ugh. That's BAD about the phone call from the house.

I normally wouldn't be following a case like this (I'm positive it increases my overall anxiety), but we lived in K.C. for 9 years and it all seems so familiar to me.

I just can't think what would have happened. If the mom did something to her, when???? They think she took the body to the landfill? Wouldn't that be 30ish miles from their house? In the middle of the night? Leaving the boys at home?

:crying::crying::crying:

Mariann, you lost a child and your PI found her? Am I reading that correctly??

My dd was 15 at the time and she rigged the security system in the house,l climbed out a window and vanished into thin air in the middle of the night. I jumped up from a sound sleep, looked at the security panel near the master bedroom door and it indicated that everything was okay --but I KNEW something was wrong.

I ran into her room and her window was open -- dh took a closer look (this all took literally two minutes) and we saw how she had rigged the security thingies on the window -- she was a difficult teen - but not a stupid one.

DH jumped in the car (so maybe now we have been awake 5 minutes) and sped off to look for her - and he actually did see her walking along the side of the road - I mean, it was like 4 in the a.m. -- who the heck else was out. She saw the headlights (we drove a red BMW - not exactly inconspicuous) and she took off into the woods.

I was at home calling the police. At this point I had not screamed at the police yet -- I think I did that at approximately 6a.m. They told me to hire a PI if I didn't like the way they were doing their job -- btw, important to articulate here that it was clearly a runaway situation -- not an abduction.

At about 6:01am, I called our attorney, he put us in touch with a PI -- he was at our door in an hour - at dd's high school questioning kids as soon as he could get there - interviewing parents of her friends, back to the high school, he met with the police, while he was doing this we were printing and distributing flyers with dd's photo all over - and I mean ALL OVER - we covered two large counties in NJ.

At 6pm or so, I was distraught beyond belief by this time - the PI told us that his job was done and he expected we would get a call from him and a visit from the police in a couple of hours -- that was all he said. He told me not to worry - she would be found that night and she would be okay.

At 9pm a police cruiser pulled into our driveway and the PI called - simultaneously. He told us where she was and that we should go to the local police station -- the police officer said that she had been picked up and he was there to take us or follow us to the police station. We did that --

She had been hiding in the woods all day and came out to go to a deli that was at the edge of the wooded area where it met with civilization so to speak to get a sandwich (I kid you not). She phoned a friend from a pay phone to see if she could 'hide' at their house for the night. An older sibling listened in on the call, heard where she was, called the PI (who had given the kid his card), the PI called the police.

I cannot say more here except that as scared to death and distraught as I was, I am thankful that I was able to keep my wits about me and be pro-active. I am happy to say that while dd's teen years were a nightmare, things settled down and she is a wonderful young adult.

No, not the same as a helpless infant being missing, but we deal with what we have been given.

OMG Mariann, I cannot believe what moms have to go through. :grouphug::grouphug: I think you and your DH are just amazing. Oooo... and you also called your lawyer for help. Are you sure you weren't guilty??? (Sarcasm! Sarcasm, people!)

Back to the Lisa case, I don't know if I the 2:30 a.m. call is all that significant. When DH goes back to the hospital on call nights, I frequently talk to him while he's there. If I'm not zonked out, that is. But if I can't sleep because there's a weird noise or whatever, I'd page him and chat until I calmed down or the zombie finally killed me.

If this was the first night the mom was home alone, I could totally see that happening.

I think it's strange that something happened the first night the mom was home alone too. Did she snap or something and accidentally kill the baby? Did someone close to them know she would be home alone and know she's a heavy sleeper?? I think about the times I've randomly let slip to a stranger that I would be alone that particular night.

It seems like either scenario is plausible in our whacked out world. :001_huh:

OMG Mariann, I cannot believe what moms have to go through. :grouphug::grouphug: I think you and your DH are just amazing. Oooo... and you also called your lawyer for help. Are you sure you weren't guilty??? (Sarcasm! Sarcasm, people!) Definitely explains all my gray hair!

Back to the Lisa case, I don't know if I the 2:30 a.m. call is all that significant. When DH goes back to the hospital on call nights, I frequently talk to him while he's there. If I'm not zonked out, that is. But if I can't sleep because there's a weird noise or whatever, I'd page him and chat until I calmed down or the zombie finally killed me. It has taken me years to get accustomed to being in the house alone at night when dh travels.

If this was the first night the mom was home alone, I could totally see that happening.

I think it's strange that something happened the first night the mom was home alone too. Did she snap or something and accidentally kill the baby? Did someone close to them know she would be home alone and know she's a heavy sleeper?? I think about the times I've randomly let slip to a stranger that I would be alone that particular night.

It seems like either scenario is plausible in our whacked out world. :001_huh:

It is just not looking good, imo.

Yes, the teen years with dd who is now 31 were, um, challenging to say the least. My sister and I laugh and say that our family performs unbelievably well in a crises -- it's everyday life that we s*ck at. :lol::lol::lol:

It is just not looking good, imo.

Yes, the teen years with dd who is now 31 were, um, challenging to say the least. My sister and I laugh and say that our family performs unbelievably well in a crises -- it's everyday life that we s*ck at. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think so either. I'm afraid this story is going to have a gruesome ending. :(

But I still have doubts about the family being guilty. When the mom said her DD was like the anchor for the brothers... Oy. How could you say stuff like that if you killed her?!?!?

I don't think so either. I'm afraid this story is going to have a gruesome ending. :(

But I still have doubts about the family being guilty. When the mom said her DD was like the anchor for the brothers... Oy. How could you say stuff like that if you killed her?!?!?

OR maybe there was a terrible accident and one of the boys was involved - you know - supposed to be watching the baby in the tub. I don't know - one would need ALOT of letters after their name to answer what I highlighted in red. so sad.

OR maybe there was a terrible accident and one of the boys was involved - you know - supposed to be watching the baby in the tub. I don't know - one would need ALOT of letters after their name to answer what I highlighted in red. so sad.

I was wondering about that too. But darn, you'd think in today's day and age if something like that did happen (what if one of the boy's accidentally played too hard with the baby?) that the parents would just come out and state what happened. The fake kidnapping stuff...Oy. Look at us analyzing just what we're getting through the media. The police are getting this information even faster than we are and have more training to see/hear the weird stuff. If something accidental and horrible happened in the house and the family is trying to cover it up, how could anyone think that will work?!?!?

I thought this odd as well... THREE phones on the counter right next to each other? :confused: Occasionally I forget and leave mine on the counter, but normally I would plug it in next to my bed at night. Dh's is in a different location, but not on the kitchen counter.

Good point, though, that someone made re: a person wanting a baby also wanting pics of that baby.

We usually have the regular phone, dh's cell phone, and my cell phone on the kitchen counter. It's scary that people would find that suspicious if anything happened to one of our kids. OTOH, I do wonder if the mom did something to the baby. I still remember Susan Smith going on TV and crying for her boys after she killed them.

I think this statement analysis is pretty interesting:

http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/

I both love and hate those analyses. They make me hyper analyze everything I read/hear for the next few days!!!

The cops/police debate, for instance. Don't some people just say, "cops" and others say, "police?"

Now I'm trying to back analyze how I refer to them to my kids...

Oh no. Landfill... Might it have water it? If the mother did something, they should look where there is water.:(

Idk. Everyone is so different. Some would want to search too. Some might not. I can tell you my dh would do everything he could to keep me from searching the woods. (And I would feel the same about him.) And the police too probably. Finding my 10 month old baby's dead body in the woods is likely a vision no parent should have to endure in their mind for the rest of their life. :(

I think this statement analysis is pretty interesting:

http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/

But whoever this blogger is made the same analysis about the parents of Breann Rodriguez - that they were lying. These parents also failed the polygraph.

Except they were innocent. A neighbor, father of three, confessed to killing the girl after he said she wandered into his backyard. If I'm remembering right, he was also found with child pornography.

Unfortunately I think this story will end terribly, with the family being involved somehow (as that seems to be the way). But I don't see anything weird about their stories. We have numerous cell phones (one for my business, 2 personal). I frequently make calls in the middle of the night...either to check in on DH (when he worked nights) or to talk to clients. The thing about the this being the first time she left the door unlocked, well..she may leave it unlocked all the time, but not realize it until it was brought to her attention.

I'm hoping for a happy ending and I'm praying for strength for this family.

But whoever this blogger is made the same analysis about the parents of Breann Rodriguez - that they were lying. These parents also failed the polygraph.

Except they were innocent. A neighbor, father of three, confessed to killing the girl after he said she wandered into his backyard. If I'm remembering right, he was also found with child pornography.

I agree and noticed the same.

I could see switching back and forth between past and present sense, between "I" and "we/our", cops/police, pausing midsentence or leaving sentenses unfinished, I say I set the cell phone in its charger or on the counter all the time and many other things the blogger says is suspect. Yes, many infants and toddlers would freak about a stranger, but many infants and toddlers also seem to be born never knowing a stranger too. I have some of both, neither of which are neglected.

The cell phones, the lights, the front door... Any of those things can happen to anyone. Sometimes those are the moments bad people take advantage of. I remember once double checking the locks. Well I think I did lock it the first time. The second time I thought I locked it, I actually unlocked it. Probably 360 nights of the year we make sure the cars are locked. Sure enough it only takes a crook one of those forgetful nights.

But I have a bad vibe about this.

Unfortunately I think this story will end terribly, with the family being involved somehow (as that seems to be the way). But I don't see anything weird about their stories. We have numerous cell phones (one for my business, 2 personal). I frequently make calls in the middle of the night...either to check in on DH (when he worked nights) or to talk to clients. The thing about the this being the first time she left the door unlocked, well..she may leave it unlocked all the time, but not realize it until it was brought to her attention.

I'm hoping for a happy ending and I'm praying for strength for this family.

Or she may never lock it at all. If Dh usually locks it and this is his first time working nights.... My Dh locks up at night. I don't even think about it. I also leave my cell phone wherever I've used it last. I don't regularly keep it by my bed at night.

I have no opinion on the family's involvement, but some of the things other people find odd are not so odd to me.

The local news mentioned a lead in California. I don't know how credible. The location of the house is literally minutes from two major interstates and the MO river.

I hope the family isn't involved, and just comes across differently under the stress.

UGH! Here's the latest story on the landfill search. http://www.kctv5.com/story/15642798/authorities-search-joco-landfill-for-missing-baby-lisa

The local news mentioned a lead in California. I don't know how credible. The location of the house is literally minutes from two major interstates and the MO river.

I hope the family isn't involved, and just comes across differently under the stress.

UGH! Here's the latest story on the landfill search. http://www.kctv5.com/story/15642798/authorities-search-joco-landfill-for-missing-baby-lisa

In red -- I agree. I haven't read the landfill story yet but I will now.

I was wondering about that too. But darn, you'd think in today's day and age if something like that did happen (what if one of the boy's accidentally played too hard with the baby?) that the parents would just come out and state what happened. The fake kidnapping stuff...Oy. Look at us analyzing just what we're getting through the media. The police are getting this information even faster than we are and have more training to see/hear the weird stuff. If something accidental and horrible happened in the house and the family is trying to cover it up, how could anyone think that will work?!?!?[/QUOTE]

In red, I don't know. It is sad, isn't it. And, gosh, yes, here we are like homeschooling sleuths trying to be a step ahead of the police.l:tongue_smilie: Human behavior is fascinating though.

Sad, sad, sad. Hopefully the parents weren't involved. I don't read too much into the mom failing the polygraph, though. DH said once that if anything ever happened in our family neither one of us would ever be taking a polygraph. They are so unreliable and yet can ignite a storm of bias.

The cops/police debate, for instance. Don't some people just say, "cops" and others say, "police?"

Now I'm trying to back analyze how I refer to them to my kids...

I tried to figure that out, too, and gave up. I think I use both.

These analyses interest me, to a point, and then they become tedious. I would probably use words that would arouse suspicion, were I involved somehow with a crime (as victim or witness, not perp). I don't want to find out.

That gave me a shiver!

I swear Mariann, we need to grab your PI and just go solve this!!!

If I had any energy, I'd go ask dh what the PI's last name was -- I remember his first name but not his last name. He was a retired police detective -- he was great. Granted, he had TONS of leads -- he said he had never worked with a family like ours before -- my mom had coffee for him and a fresh baked cake while he made phone calls. My sister had access to anyone he needed to speak with. DH spent the day with him directing him to every friend's house and then back again. Believe me, I do not ever want to go through anything like that again.

We usually have the regular phone, dh's cell phone, and my cell phone on the kitchen counter. It's scary that people would find that suspicious if anything happened to one of our kids. OTOH, I do wonder if the mom did something to the baby. I still remember Susan Smith going on TV and crying for her boys after she killed them.

If the missing phones part of the story were the only oddity, I'd agree with you. I've been falsely accused of things in the past (nothing as serious as a missing child) because of silly things like why were there 3 cell phones on the counter together, so I wouldn't want to go there. It's that AND everything else that makes me go - Huh? And like you, I have a replay of Susan Smith crying on television running through my head over and over again. :sad:

Oh no. Landfill... Might it have water it? If the mother did something, they should look where there is water.:(

They've checked in the water areas near the family's home. Did that on Day 1. The landfill is 23 miles from their home... but in Kansas City, where it's pretty normal to drive 20-30 minutes to get *anywhere*, it's not a far leap to drive 23 miles to dump a body if you think that's the easiest place to hide it.

IF that is indeed what happened to Lisa, I wouldn't expect the mom to have gone out and done it herself (leaving the boys at home alone). I would expect her to have -- maybe -- CALLED somebody at 2:30 a.m., perhaps? -- to come help her out.

Speaking of sleuthing.... :tongue_smilie: So it's been said that a phone call was made from the family's home at 2:30 a.m. In the article linked, it says that the dumpster fire was reported at 2:27 a.m.

"Joe Vitale, a spokesman for the Kansas City Fire Department, said the dumpster fire was reported at 2:27 a.m. Tuesday. The fire was at an apartment complex at 4897 NE 37th St.The dumpster is less than a half mile from the missing baby's home."

OTOH, that article also says that the boys are 6 and 8. Previous news reports have said they're 8 and 10. Even the media can't keep it straight. :glare:

They've checked in the water areas near the family's home. Did that on Day 1. The landfill is 23 miles from their home... but in Kansas City, where it's pretty normal to drive 20-30 minutes to get *anywhere*, it's not a far leap to drive 23 miles to dump a body if you think that's the easiest place to hide it.

IF that is indeed what happened to Lisa, I wouldn't expect the mom to have gone out and done it herself (leaving the boys at home alone). I would expect her to have -- maybe -- CALLED somebody at 2:30 a.m., perhaps? -- to come help her out.

They checked that landfill because there was a dumpster fire in an apartment building not far from the residence. That dumpster is maintained by a company in KS, on the other side of KC, hence the reason for the mileage. They don't think the body was dumped there, but the garbage from the dumpster was.

The news report this evening had the police Captain (is that the right title) saying the door was open (door of communication). IMO it sounds like there was a fight between the police and the family, and the family has opted to step back from the investigation. I can imagine there might be words between family and the police if either one felt like they weren't doing all they could.

The family needs a spokesperson from within the family to handle the media and be a mediator with the police department. I don't know if anyone has fully assumed that role yet.

Mom did say tonight that there was a baby monitor in the room, the only time she woke up was when the baby cried, and she did not hear her cry that night.

Speaking of sleuthing.... :tongue_smilie: So it's been said that a phone call was made from the family's home at 2:30 a.m. In the article linked, it says that the dumpster fire was reported at 2:27 a.m.

"Joe Vitale, a spokesman for the Kansas City Fire Department, said the dumpster fire was reported at 2:27 a.m. Tuesday. The fire was at an apartment complex at 4897 NE 37th St.The dumpster is less than a half mile from the missing baby's home."

OTOH, that article also says that the boys are 6 and 8. Previous news reports have said they're 8 and 10. Even the media can't keep it straight. :glare:

I don't like the local media coverage on this. It really seems to be all over the board between the 4 local stations, abc, nbc, cbs, and fox.

I really believe there is some major detail we're not hearing. The media seems to be stumbling to get new information.

They checked that landfill because there was a dumpster fire in an apartment building not far from the residence. That dumpster is maintained by a company in KS, on the other side of KC, hence the reason for the mileage. They don't think the body was dumped there, but the garbage from the dumpster was.

I know. I live there, and dh worked at that landfill for a short time. ;)

The family needs a spokesperson from within the family to handle the media and be a mediator with the police department. I don't know if anyone has fully assumed that role yet.
Yes, they do.

That and I'm not sure the media is actually helping, KWIM? There are so many versions of stuff that I'm not sure posting a ton of disinformation actually helps.

I know. I live there, and dh worked at that landfill for a short time. ;)

Yes, they do.

Cool, I didn't notice your location. I didn't realize until I read the story that Deffenbaugh took MO trash to KS either.

I hope there is a resolution of some sort soon, this whole thing is so heartbreaking.

I wouldn't. My husband has traveled to conferences, and I really don't change anything, safety-wise. Home invasions/child abductions are just honestly not on my radar of things to worry about.

I don't think their having the cell phones on the kitchen table is weird. I don't think her not triple-checking locks when her husband is gone is weird. I just find it suspicious because it is incredibly, incredibly rare for toddlers to be snatched from their cribs by strangers, so I'll always assume it's the parents or somebody else very close to the child when something like this happens, unless there's very compelling evidence otherwise.

Cool, I didn't notice your location. I didn't realize until I read the story that Deffenbaugh took MO trash to KS either.

Oh yes, Deffenbaugh works both sides of the line. But there are other companies who pick up (on both sides) and deliver to the Deffenbaugh landfill for dumping. In this case, I believe it was Town & Country Disposal, which is actually located in Harrisonville, MO but has contracted pickup areas all over the metro.

To go wildly off topic, I couldn't believe Larry Moore was still at KMBC. He's been there since I was a kid.

Back on topic, I saw a video earlier(that I can't find now) that said that the mother was stating she did have a monitor on and still didn't hear anything.

Another video had an interview with a neighbor who says their dog(German Sheppard) didn't bark that night.

Did anyone else see those?

Not that I believe everything I hear on the news. But if it's true that this happened on the very first time her husband had to work at night, that seems too convenient to me. How would a kidnapper happen to bust in on that particular night? Unless the kidnapper had something to do with the fact that the dad had to work.

That said, I could understand leaving the door unlocked, to help dad get back in in the wee hours. If you're in a safe neighborhood, what are the chances that you're going to be robbed on that one random night?

Then again, isn't it possible that the intruder came in through the window and left through the door? Makes sense since he's carrying a baby on the way out, but not on the way in. Would it not be easy to quietly unlock the door from the inside?

But mostly, I just think the whole thing is too much of a coincidence. Maybe they did something to the baby before the dad went off to work and then reported it later, to make it look like dad had an alibi. Meanwhile mom's alibi was that she was with her other kids the whole time.