Menu

Missing KC,MO baby

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night the news reported that they called off the Amber alert and that mom had been in interrogation for several hours. The video footage showed the police looking through brushy areas along highways and railroad tracks. :( I still pray that baby will be found alive and well, but things don't look very promising right now.

When I first read the story yesterday evening, my first thought was that the people who have the most access to the child are typically the people who are questioned and looked at FIRST. I am so sorry to read that this is the case -- not that any other scenario would be better -- it's just so tragic and heartbreaking -- I am praying this little one is found safe.l

One of the articles we read said something to the effect of them questioning the mom, but that she was very cooperative and that they are still looking for the baby and want people to keep watching for her. Regardless of what has happened this is a tragic event that is rocking our area.

http://livewire.kmbc.com/Event/Live_Blog_Amber_Alert_Issued_For_Missing_10-Month-Old?Page=0

Usually these cases are involving a custody dispute or an infant. The story seems so bizarre to me - can't find how the person entered the home and are searching the woods around the home. Sad and bizarre.

Usually, they don't put out Amber Alerts unless there is a suspect or vehicle description. The electronic highway billboard last night said "Child Abduction - Call *511 for info". Not really helpful, and we're on the other side of the state.

I know statistically, family is usually involved, but we just had a case in our state where a 3-year-old girl was kidnapped and murdered. The parents failed a polygraph, but they were innocent. A neighbor (predator that just hadn't been caught yet) confessed and told authorities where the body was. Sick and sad. I hope this case turns out better.

Amber Alerts always expire after 12 hours. It doesn't mean they have any new information. The info I have (which isn't anything special except that I have friends and family within blocks of the house so officers have interviewed them) is that they have absolutely no leads. It really is tragic.

When I first read the story yesterday evening, my first thought was that the people who have the most access to the child are typically the people who are questioned and looked at FIRST.

Very true, and sadly more often than not it is someone with familial access to the victim who is the perpetrator-- but there have been any number of cases that were botched because the focus was first on family members.

I don't know what is worse. The child being possibly killed by her parents or by some anonymous random monster. I hate the way these stories usually unfold. I'm going to end up co-sleeping with my kids until they are 18. :(

I know. I always go thru that "what is worse" feeling when someone is missing.

A few years ago a nun (Sister) whose mission was working in a halfway house disappeared. I kept praying that maybe she needed a break from being a nun and had "run away" (for lack of a better phrase) because I couldn't bear to think about what might have happened to her otherwise.

It turned out:

She had come upon one of the residents trying to steal from her room and he killed her and then hid her body. :angelsad2::crying:

I kept thinking I wish she had run away.

Very true, and sadly more often than not it is someone with familial access to the victim who is the perpetrator-- but there have been any number of cases that were botched because the focus was first on family members.[/QUOTE]

Sad and true.

All around it unfortunately seems to be 'lose-lose.'

:sad:

I don't know what is worse. The child being possibly killed by her parents or by some anonymous random monster. I hate the way these stories usually unfold. I'm going to end up co-sleeping with my kids until they are 18. :(

:iagree: Every time I think I'm ready to let my dd sleep in her own bed (which she's perfectly willing to do) there's another story like this in the news. That poor mother- she must be insane with worry. :crying:

Amber Alerts always expire after 12 hours. It doesn't mean they have any new information. The info I have (which isn't anything special except that I have friends and family within blocks of the house so officers have interviewed them) is that they have absolutely no leads. It really is tragic.

Yes - it wasn't cancelled because they don't believe the babe was abducted, it was "cancelled" because it expired. Our local authorities have clarified this point over and over, because folks (general public) are assuming things they shouldn't.

They did question the parents until about 10:30pm. That seems like a long time. But if the parents are extremely distraught, maybe it took more time to lead them in thinking through all possible avenues as to who may have taken the child.

At first I thought it odd that a missing child report would come in at 4am. However, I learned that the father is a night shift electrician who just checked in on the kids upon arriving home, so the timing makes more sense.

It is very sad. I have been praying that she was taken by someone (albeit wrongly) who just wants a baby to love, and not by someone who means to harm her. May she be quickly found!

The whole thing is jsut heartbreaking. After that little 3 year old was stolen from the bc home and now this. According to one of the reports I watched today a neighbor says her husband reported seeing a person carrying down a neighboring street in the middle of the night.

I wonder if there is a babysitter or something they have used recently that perhaps was a bit off her rocker. I would rather think that someone stole that baby because they desperately wanted one of their own, and that she is being well cared for, not someone doing it for nefarious reasons. Last I heard the police keep saying the parents are not suspects or even persons of interest at this point.

:iagree: Every time I think I'm ready to let my dd sleep in her own bed (which she's perfectly willing to do) there's another story like this in the news. That poor mother- she must be insane with worry. :crying:

I was really glad, when kiddo was little, to have 90 lbs of Shep-X ready to go off like an alarm at the first footfall. We lived down a dirt road next to dark park, and she took her job very seriously. One windy nights I'd wake to see her at the sliding glass door, sitting and watching, ??because the roaring trees interfered with her hearing.

Parents no longer cooperating, and the officer who gave the press conference update said he's not sure what the cell phones have to do with the missing baby... IF in fact there even ARE 3 cell phones missing.

Another part of the story is that now the dad is saying that when he came home at 4 a.m., he found "most of the lights on" and the front door unlocked. Who comes in to steal a baby and turns on all the lights, takes 3 cell phones, and goes out through the front door? (A window was tampered with as well... that part was mentioned right away on Tuesday, but the other stuff just came out today.) And how could neither the mom nor the boys hear anything if all that took place? It's not a very big house. Just a small ranch from what I can see on the news clips.

There's definitely more to the story. :( Of course, I know they only release bits of information at a time as they strive to get more leads. But the front door being unlocked and the lights being on (if that's even true) seems significant to me.

The officer wouldn't say whether dad passed the polygraph test or not. :glare:

I don't trust the polygraph at all. It was just a few months ago a little girl went missing and they said mom failed the polygraph. A neighbor had killed the girl and later confessed and told them where to find her.

I really hope the parents didn't have anything to do with it. The police and FBI have said since the beginning that they have nothing so I'm sure they are turning more toward the parents. That might have led to them stopping their cooperation. My bil is a prosecuter and says he is always boggled by parents in these situations talking without an attorney.

"The parents had told reporters that three phones, including cell phones, were taken from their home by the kidnapper. They said this meant a delay in notifying authorities about the kidnapping."

Very fishy

"The parents had told reporters that three phones, including cell phones, were taken from their home by the kidnapper. They said this meant a delay in notifying authorities about the kidnapping."

Very fishy

I think so too. :(

I kind of hope we're wrong, although like I said before a random monster is horrifying too. But with this mother being pregnant right now, if something did happen to her DD it would seem more horrifying if it happened by her hands.

Edited by Jennifer3141

I don't know about it being a bad sign... not cooperating with the police doesn't mean much to me, especially after they were interrogating the mother for several hours into the next evening, when I assume she was beyond distraught and exhausted. Cops of course want to look to the parents first just based on statistics, but if they are being overly zealous toward the parents and not looking elsewhere, I too would stop cooperating and get a lawyer.

I really think if they were hiding something, they would have waited and called later around breakfast time, not 4am when the dad got home from work.

Phones... if they have no land line, just cell phones and they were taken, that would cause a short delay in getting to the neighbors. But then again wouldn't the guy have his at work? That is a little confusing but probably nothing.

Ugh that precious baby, just makes me sick to think she is not safe.

Now see, I hadn't heard anything about there being a "delay" in calling. That quote in the KCTV article is the first mention of it I've heard or read. (And I live local.) I've mostly been watching NBC updates, though.

Even more troubling to me than the missing phones was the claim that "most of the lights in the house were on" and the front door was unlocked. Who breaks into a house to steal a baby, and on their way out takes 3 cell phones, turns on all the lights, and goes out through the front door? (Though it's possible that Mom just forgot to lock the front door. I've done that before.) And why would neither Mom nor either of the boys have heard anything if all that was going on during the night? Unless one of the boys had gotten up during the night....

I suppose it's also possible that whoever took Lisa *knows* this family, and knows that they ONLY have cell phones (if that's the case), so took them in order to cause a delay in calling police. OTOH, those phones allegedly were taken (along with Lisa) before Dad got home, so where was his phone? I suppose it's possible he doesn't have one, or that he'd forgotten to take it with him that night.

The no one hearing anything has got me puzzled too, but some people sleep much deeper than I do and if the Dad worked the late shift the mom and older kids could just be used to tuning things out.

At 10 months my DS was either in the room with me or I had a monitor on at night and during naps, so I could specifically hear him.

That said, I'm not them. Someone who knew them or was watching them seems possible. And Dad could have forgotten his phone.

Ugh!

Parents no longer cooperating, and the officer who gave the press conference update said he's not sure what the cell phones have to do with the missing baby... IF in fact there even ARE 3 cell phones missing.

Another part of the story is that now the dad is saying that when he came home at 4 a.m., he found "most of the lights on" and the front door unlocked. Who comes in to steal a baby and turns on all the lights, takes 3 cell phones, and goes out through the front door? (A window was tampered with as well... that part was mentioned right away on Tuesday, but the other stuff just came out today.) And how could neither the mom nor the boys hear anything if all that took place? It's not a very big house. Just a small ranch from what I can see on the news clips.

There's definitely more to the story. :( Of course, I know they only release bits of information at a time as they strive to get more leads. But the front door being unlocked and the lights being on (if that's even true) seems significant to me.

Nothing else in the house was disturbed, according to the father. That means whoever took the baby knew exactly where to go; they knew where the baby was in that house. Why, then, would they turn all the lights on and leave through the front door.

Doesn't add up. The conclusions I'm left with just make me sick....

Doesn't add up. The conclusions I'm left with just make me sick....

yes - same here.

I watched the video of the parents earlier today -- it was difficult to hear everything that was said by the mom as she was so upset and the dad didn't speak up loudly enough most of the time. HOWEVER, that being said, and I will likely go back and listen to it once more when the baseball game is over, there were two places, I think, where the mom said he/she or they (when referring to whomever might have abducted their baby) and it was odd -- just odd. But I have to go back and re-watch.

The dad never lifted his head to look straight ahead - I found that odd.

The phone thing is 'odd' -- I am not aware of any comment(s) made questioning the amount of time it took the parents to contact authorities. Why explain that it took X amount of time because the phones were missing -- odd.

I hate to Monday morning quarterback, and I am praying this little baby is found safe or is brought to a police station or a hospital or church and is safe. I cannot imagine going out in front of television cameras and going through everything that has already happened -- it would seem to me that the parents would want to go out there and make it very clear that if someone out there has their baby, they should feed the baby, change diapers, and then PLEAD with them to bring the baby to a hospital or church or police station so the baby can be re-united with her family. To me, THAT message would be the most important message to get out there -- not going through what transpired when they discovered she was missing.

Usually, they don't put out Amber Alerts unless there is a suspect or vehicle description. The electronic highway billboard last night said "Child Abduction - Call *511 for info". Not really helpful, and we're on the other side of the state.

I know statistically, family is usually involved, but we just had a case in our state where a 3-year-old girl was kidnapped and murdered. The parents failed a polygraph, but they were innocent. A neighbor (predator that just hadn't been caught yet) confessed and told authorities where the body was. Sick and sad. I hope this case turns out better.

Any idea how the neighbor got his/her hands on the 3-year-old? People are always telling me that kids are safe playing in their neighborhood. But, are they? I still watch mine.

Now the parents have a family member who made a statement that they are cooperating with the police and never stopped. According to the family member the parents will be releasing a statement tomorrow.

Bizarre!

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_missouri/northland/aunt-of-missing-10-month-old-lisa-irwin-speaks-for-family-after-police-news-conference

Edited by MrsBasil
Adding link

The no one hearing anything has got me puzzled too, but some people sleep much deeper than I do and if the Dad worked the late shift the mom and older kids could just be used to tuning things out.

At 10 months my DS was either in the room with me or I had a monitor on at night and during naps, so I could specifically hear him.

That said, I'm not them. Someone who knew them or was watching them seems possible. And Dad could have forgotten his phone.

Ugh!

I don't know. I'm a deep sleeper most of the time. Except when it comes to the sounds of my children. I hear every little whimper and every snore they make. I have since my son was born... AND I still have a audio/video monitor in their room. (Go ahead. Call me paranoid...) Point is, I can't imagine not hearing someone coming into my home and taking one of my children from his or her bed.

Any idea how the neighbor got his/her hands on the 3-year-old? People are always telling me that kids are safe playing in their neighborhood. But, are they? I still watch mine.

I read things saying she was riding bikes in front of her house with her older brother. He ran inside for a minute (mom was inside) and when he came back out she was gone.

Now the parents have a family member who made a statement that they are cooperating with the police and never stopped. According to the family member the parents will be releasing a statement tomorrow.

Bizarre!

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_missouri/northland/aunt-of-missing-10-month-old-lisa-irwin-speaks-for-family-after-police-news-conference

NBC news in kc says that an 'animated' conversation took place with the police and the baby's parents today in the afternoon when the police began (for what I believe is a third time) to search a wooded area near the family home. The NBC reporter said that the discussion was 'very' animated as in lots of hands and arms being used during the discussion. He goes on to say that the parents then got in their car and 'sped' away -- he made it a point to emphasize that they were speeding away. It was shortly after that the report came out that the parents were no longer cooperating with the police. And, I too read the statement from a member of the family saying that yes indeed, the baby's parents were of course cooperating with the police.

You know, let's be honest, alot of times the police are of course looking for the missing child or in this case infant, but they are also observing the parents -- they have seen his kind of thing enough to know that if the parents have a hand in this crime, they are going to slip up soon enough.

I could totally see myself flipping out on police if they were containing their search to woods near my home. It would be so very hard to not get angry at the police for not widening their search and I would want them to stop focusing on us. I read that a neighbor saw someone walking late with a baby in a diaper. If someone stole the baby, the police would not be looking in the right spot. As a parent I would need to assume my child was ok and want the police to truly be searching.

DH and I were just talking about the case, about this "animated" conversation. I told him that I bet they've just been asked to disclose their financial records.

I am heartbroken for this baby and her brothers. Something is very, very wrong with this picture. I am still hoping for the best, but starting to cringe when I hear the bumper music for local news updates, as I anticipate evil tidings.

NBC news in kc says that an 'animated' conversation took place with the police and the baby's parents today in the afternoon when the police began (for what I believe is a third time) to search a wooded area near the family home. The NBC reporter said that the discussion was 'very' animated as in lots of hands and arms being used during the discussion. He goes on to say that the parents then got in their car and 'sped' away -- he made it a point to emphasize that they were speeding away. It was shortly after that the report came out that the parents were no longer cooperating with the police. And, I too read the statement from a member of the family saying that yes indeed, the baby's parents were of course cooperating with the police.

You know, let's be honest, alot of times the police are of course looking for the missing child or in this case infant, but they are also observing the parents -- they have seen his kind of thing enough to know that if the parents have a hand in this crime, they are going to slip up soon enough.

The dad never lifted his head to look straight ahead - I found that odd.

:iagree: I found the dad's behavior very strange.

That poor little girl. I hope she was abducted. By someone who just wanted a child. I don't want to consider the alternative.

DH and I were just talking about the case, about this "animated" conversation. I told him that I bet they've just been asked to disclose their financial records.

I am heartbroken for this baby and her brothers. Something is very, very wrong with this picture. I am still hoping for the best, but starting to cringe when I hear the bumper music for local news updates, as I anticipate evil tidings.

:iagree: I found the dad's behavior very strange.

That poor little girl. I hope she was abducted. By someone who just wanted a child. I don't want to consider the alternative.

It is a horror -I do agree that something is very very wrong. I also would much prefer that this child were safe and being cared for than even consider the alternative.

I thought some more about the cell phones being missing -- it strikes me as rather key that the phones are 'missing' IF the parents are involved in the baby's disappearance and IF they called each other on their phones during that window of time when the mom says she was asleep and the dad came home. They might think that just getting rid of the phones would erase any evidence of commnunication between them during this time period. Like AuntiM said, 'something' is wrong. And, the dad's behavior was strange.

So sad.