Menu

Missing KC,MO baby

I was really glad, when kiddo was little, to have 90 lbs of Shep-X ready to go off like an alarm at the first footfall. We lived down a dirt road next to dark park, and she took her job very seriously. One windy nights I'd wake to see her at the sliding glass door, sitting and watching, ??because the roaring trees interfered with her hearing.

Yes, there is something about a large dog. My female mastiff was like that. They would have had to shoot her first before any harm came to us.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could totally see myself flipping out on police if they were containing their search to woods near my home. It would be so very hard to not get angry at the police for not widening their search and I would want them to stop focusing on us.

I was thinking this too. I'd be livid if someone suspected me of harming my own child.

Yes, there is something about a large dog. My female mastiff was like that. They would have had to shoot her first before any harm came to us.

It doesn't even have to be big dogs. We have small dogs and they are fiercely protective. They bark at everything (you'd never be able to sneak in my house) and if you knocked on my door, you'd think I have a pack of Rottweilers behind it. True, if someone got in the house, they don't have the advantage that big dogs have, but when our oldest dog (who passed away last year at 14) was young, I was attacked outside our apartment while walking her at night. She was only 10lbs, but she want all kinds of crazy on the guy. She made a ton of noise and kept going after him. He had his hand over my mouth, but because of her intervention (she kept biting his legs), he loosened his grip on me and I was able to scream. Between the 2 of us, there was a lot of noise and lights that started flipping on in other apartments and he took off. The police caught him at a different apartment complex 2 nights later trying to attack another woman, but some men nearby saw it and tackled him and held him until the police came. He had bite marks all over his lower legs. I honestly believe she saved me from something very serious.

I was thinking this too. I'd be livid if someone suspected me of harming my own child.

I think this too. If the police weren't doing more than searching around my house, I'd likely go crazy all over them. This doesn't mean they shouldn't search that area, because the parents could have something to do with it, but if they don't, think of what's being lost if the police aren't searching elsewhere.

this is so sad.

kinda o/t but she is the biggest baby i've ever heard of! a 28lb 10-month old! she doesn't look fat in the pictures at all?? plus the pics they are releasing are sooo old!

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who was disturbed by the fact that the photos appear to be months old. Babes change so fast, current pictures are vital in recognizing abducted children.

Making a point to snap some pics of my own today...

this is so sad.

kinda o/t but she is the biggest baby i've ever heard of! a 28lb 10-month old! she doesn't look fat in the pictures at all?? plus the pics they are releasing are sooo old!

I wondered about this, too. And 30" tall? :001_huh: Am I the only one who thinks that's extremely tall for a 10-month old? She doesn't look that tall in the pictures.

This. And one tip they gave on the news was to take a picture of your kids with your phone as soon as you arrive somewhere that's busy and crowded, such as the zoo or Disney World. My 16yo and I were discussing this... because we see each other all the time, it's easy to forget what one another is wearing that day. We might know what pants and shirt the other has on, but we might not have noticed which shoes, socks, earrings, etc.

Okay, update on local news (NBC) right now. Parents are no longer talking to *local* media. Will only talk to national media.

Police have torn down their command center and scaled back on the search. While that sounds disheartening at first, they HAVE searched *very* extensively at the local level. They've used the dogs, horses, scaled down hillsides and over cliffs, looked inside manholes underground, searched the neighbors' houses (all of which -- apparently -- have been very cooperative).... not sure what else they can do at the local level. :confused:

The news from this case is not looking good. Both this article and the video attached to it have information that does not make the parents look innocent. More recent pictures were released by not immediately I will link those too. I have to agree she seems like a BIG 10 month old, but my kiddos barely hit the 20 lb mark at a year. One was only 17 lb the other was 26 in tall. Neither were very big at all, but I have seen 4 month old out weigh my 12 month old son.

News article and vid:

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-lisa-irwin-no-new-clues-in-search-for-missing-baby-20111006,0,2371703.story

Pics:

If you can get into facebook, this page and its content are set up by Seeking The Lost. Seems to be a non-profit trying to help spread the word.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=126817880757489&set=pu.125929840846293&type=1&theater

this is so sad.

DS3 was 31 inches and 26lbs at his 1yr appointment. He was HUGE when breastfed, then slowed down around 9-10 months when we switched to formula (I was pregnant again). If she's closer to the 11-month mark than 10, she's not that big. And I was really bad about taking frequent pics of my second child. And all of the recent ones would be on my cell phone, which the parents say are missing.

Something is still really off.

Oh, and it was noted that there are 16 registered s*x offenders living within a mile of this family's home.

I really don't know what to think at this point. If that baby was in fact kidnapped sometime between 10:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. (remember the mysterious man carrying a baby on the street about midnight, according to the neighbor), the perp could've been long gone out of the state by the time dad got home. And yet, there are some very strange tellings and behaviors by the parents since Tuesday. I realize they're distraught.... whether they had anything to do with Lisa's disappearance or not, I'm sure their emotions are all over the place. Some of the oddities can be explained away, such as the lights being on. Maybe one of the boys sleepwalked that night. Or maybe one of the boys is a troublesome handful and gets up and messes around during the night. Maybe Mom took a sleeping pill and was in too deep of a sleep to hear anything. Maybe Dad forgot to take his phone with him that night, and the missing phones belong to other family members.

But as a mom whose dh either worked nights or was gone (deployed or training) for many years of our marriage, I can't imagine not having one ear tuned in for strange noises while he's away at night. I don't have that other set of ears there to catch what I don't, so the responsibility falls entirely on me to pay attention and keep those babies safe. I'm not so naive as to think that someone couldn't or wouldn't break into our home, whether it be to steal my cell phone or my child. Even if I was sleeping good, it seemed like the smallest thing out of place snapped me right out of it. And as someone else mentioned, baby monitors work, too.

And I'm NOT suggesting we should blame the mom for not hearing something and getting up that night. I'm just saying that that's one part of the story that doesn't add up for me.... one more thing to add to the list of details which cast doubt on it being an unknown intruder.... :confused1:

DS3 was 31 inches and 26lbs at his 1yr appointment. He was HUGE when breastfed, then slowed down around 9-10 months when we switched to formula (I was pregnant again). If she's closer to the 11-month mark than 10, she's not that big. And I was really bad about taking frequent pics of my second child. And all of the recent ones would be on my cell phone, which the parents say are missing.

Okay, maybe my kids are a little shorter than some. I'm only 5' 2 1/2" and dh is only 5' 6". We're not a tall family. :tongue_smilie: Though my oldest was always at the top of the charts... both tall and big for her age. At 16, she's taller than me and just a hair shorter than her dad. But I still don't think she was 30" at 10 months, and I think now that she's full grown, I'd just call her "average". (My point being that even though she was big for her age while she was young, I still think 30" at 10 months is unusual... though obviously possible. :D )

Yes.

I wonder if she did do something, if they got the idea of having someone break in and steal the baby from all the coverage just a couple weeks ago about that Sparwood boy?

Hmmmmmm.

I don't put much stock into polygraph results -- I do not understand why the parents haven't retained an attorney. That being said, I find that it still all sounds rather 'odd.'

So very sad.

Unfortunately, in the vast majority of these cases....the guilty party is a family member. If the police have scaled down their search and oddities are occuring that are inconsistent with the parents' original reports...something is up. The police never say as much as they really know. But their actions speak louder than words.

Unfortunately, in the vast majority of these cases....the guilty party is a family member. If the police have scaled down their search and oddities are occuring that are inconsistent with the parents' original reports...something is up. The police never say as much as they really know. But their actions speak louder than words.

:iagree: - Totally agree. And, I said as much in an earlier post. The public may not like it, but that is the way it is.

I haven't kept up on this baby because well, it depresses me to hear such things. I was just kind of skimming when the post made me laugh! If you saw pics of my "baby" at 14 you would never believe that at 10 months she weighed close to 46 lbs. lol Babies can be that big. She was a monster and not very long either by the time she was a year she wore 18 month to 24 month by the time she was 2 she was wearing 12-18 months. She started running a bit after a year and all that baby fat dissapeared now she is just a stick! The baby might be that big but I would be amazed at any parent who does not have pictures. I have tons of all 4 of mine.

I haven't kept up on this baby because well, it depresses me to hear such things. I was just kind of skimming when the post made me laugh! If you saw pics of my "baby" at 14 you would never believe that at 10 months she weighed close to 46 lbs. lol Babies can be that big. She was a monster and not very long either by the time she was a year she wore 18 month to 24 month by the time she was 2 she was wearing 12-18 months. She started running a bit after a year and all that baby fat dissapeared now she is just a stick! The baby might be that big but I would be amazed at any parent who does not have pictures. I have tons of all 4 of mine.

46 lbs?? Wow!! My 10 year old son hasn't even hit 60 yet.

The pics I saw originally were said to have been taken in the last couple weeks. I haven't paid all that much attention to notice her size but it wouldn't have surprised me.

My daughter was 26pounds at 5months old, 32 pounds at 12mo and 47 pounds by 2yrs. Past that, she was a perfectly average sized child until she got sick at almost 15yrs old.

5mo

2815751694_f37f1f3c32.jpg

15mo

6219934865_c2e5b958d4.jpg

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have a 10 month old, and I just can't stand to think about this. He co-sleeps, but I've been obsessively checking on my older boys at night. Ugh.

I, too, am praying so hard she's being taken care of, if she was taken, but I'm beginning to wonder. :(

But I still don't think she was 30" at 10 months, and I think now that she's full grown, I'd just call her "average". (My point being that even though she was big for her age while she was young, I still think 30" at 10 months is unusual... though obviously possible. :D )

On a lighter note, I'm only 5'3" but my husband is over six feet. All our boys are tall. I can't remember the exact stats on the older two, but they've all followed generally the same pattern, and my current little one was 30.75" at nine months (but only 22-23lbs). Yikes! I'm going to be passed by all of them well before their teenage years, I suspect.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who was disturbed by the fact that the photos appear to be months old. Babes change so fast, current pictures are vital in recognizing abducted children.

If our phones were taken, so would ALL of our pictures! We have iPhones and I have over 400 pictures on mine alone, not including dh or the two oldest boys phones. We don't even own a regular camera anymore. However, I have many of those pictures on FB or downloaded to the main computer about once a month or so.

As for the size, meh. Several of my babies have been that near or bigger than that. Not that you can tell now. They all convert to twigs by the time they are 5.

Still the story is weird. Of course most abduction stories are weird bc only a loon would do it!

I don't know. I'm a deep sleeper most of the time. Except when it comes to the sounds of my children. I hear every little whimper and every snore they make. I have since my son was born... AND I still have a audio/video monitor in their room. (Go ahead. Call me paranoid...) Point is, I can't imagine not hearing someone coming into my home and taking one of my children from his or her bed.

That's what gets me in the story is that she didn't hear anything. If my DH is out late for whatever reason I can't sleep until he gets home because my ear is just "on". Any noises in the house. Any noises coming from Little's bedroom. Anything.

We were staying a week with my parents in Pennsylvania and about 4 am I hear someone get out of bed. I assume it was either Little Librarian or my niece and they're going to be confused because it's early and it's a different house. So I jump out of bed and right onto my glasses on the floor. Ugh. I was so disgusted with myself. And the noise? Yeah, my dad thought he had heard the trashman at 4 am and was running to get the trash out. It was chaos. But the second I heard any noise I was up.

If our phones were taken, so would ALL of our pictures! We have iPhones and I have over 400 pictures on mine alone, not including dh or the two oldest boys phones. We don't even own a regular camera anymore. However, I have many of those pictures on FB or downloaded to the main computer about once a month or so.

As for the size, meh. Several of my babies have been that near or bigger than that. Not that you can tell now. They all convert to twigs by the time they are 5.

Still the story is weird. Of course most abduction stories are weird bc only a loon would do it!

Hmm, wonder what kind of phones the parents had. A person who was abducting a baby for the purpose of having a baby might have thought to steal phones for pictures, so they could show "their" baby at different stages. :001_huh:

Beyond that, I know it's likely that a family member had something to do with it, but on the off chance it wasn't and the police are now focusing on her....well, not talking to them and getting a lawyer makes sense.

Size differs so much for kids that I don't put much thought into that. My 2 year old is just 29 pounds, but is 38-39 inches tall. People tell me he's too skinny, but his Drs say he's healthy. *shrug*

That's what gets me in the story is that she didn't hear anything. If my DH is out late for whatever reason I can't sleep until he gets home because my ear is just "on". Any noises in the house. Any noises coming from Little's bedroom. Anything.

We were staying a week with my parents in Pennsylvania and about 4 am I hear someone get out of bed. I assume it was either Little Librarian or my niece and they're going to be confused because it's early and it's a different house. So I jump out of bed and right onto my glasses on the floor. Ugh. I was so disgusted with myself. And the noise? Yeah, my dad thought he had heard the trashman at 4 am and was running to get the trash out. It was chaos. But the second I heard any noise I was up.

I could see that except that the dad usually worked this shift, didn't he? So maybe the mom just got used to it?

I could see that except that the dad usually worked this shift, didn't he? So maybe the mom just got used to it?

That would make me even more tuned to what was going on in the kids room. Even with DH home I'm usually the one up when I hear a kid heading to the bathroom to throw up in the middle of the night. Or worse. Just throwing up on the carpet in their room.

Mom tells about the time my Dad arrived home late one time. He didn't work the night shift. He was gone and came home in the night. He came in and was clomping around getting ready for bed (my Dad is NOT quiet). He was in the bathroom, lights on in the house, moving around in their bedroom, etc. Mom slept through it all. My sister, a baby at the time, rustle around in her crib and made a small noise and Mom shot up wide awake. Dad couldn't believe it. Her ear was tuned to the baby but she was, like this mom, raising a baby and pregnant. She was dead tired and slept through everything else.

I watched them on the Today show this morning, something is off to me. It just seems like they are holding something back in a weird way-I certainly don't judge them for any reactions and I'm sure the police questions are exhausting but there's something just unsaid/unknown about all this. She is so upset but she sounded like she knew something that she wasn't saying, maybe they know who has the baby and don't want to turn them in. Husband is very quiet.

I don't understand the delay issue. If they lived out in the country, yeah.

But in less than a minute, I could be banging down the neighbors door for help.

What? Did they spend 30 minutes searching for phones when their baby was missing?:confused:

Absolutely. A minute into the ordeal the whole stinkin' neighborhood would have been awake.

Who sleeps with all their phones on the kitchen counter? Mine is right next to my bed, especially if dh isn't home.

We do. Sometimes on the counter and sometimes on the table. I don't have my phone next to me at night.

In cases like this I always suspect the parents and am surprised when everyone else doesn't. I hope I'm wrong but it seems like it is usually one of the parents.

We do. Sometimes on the counter and sometimes on the table. I don't have my phone next to me at night.

In cases like this I always suspect the parents and am surprised when everyone else doesn't. I hope I'm wrong but it seems like it is usually one of the parents.

Do you have a land line though? It sounds like those were the only phones in the house.

Who sleeps with all their phones on the kitchen counter? Mine is right next to my bed, especially if dh isn't home.

Mine is usually in my purse- in another room. Dh keeps his beside the computer- also in another room. But if he worked nights, I'd have it with me.

These days, my phone is usually on my nightstand, but only because I use it as an alarm. Before I got this one, my cell phone was always on the kitchen counter plugged into the charger while I was home, even at night.

My husband leaves his phones plugged in, too. In the current house, his charger unit is on his nightstand. But at the old house, it lived on a bookshelf in the living room.

Neither of us makes a point of keeping a cell phone close at night.

Absolutely. A minute into the ordeal the whole stinkin' neighborhood would have been awake.

Well I could see 15. Tops. Dh comes home, checks on baby, baby not in crib, goes to bedroom, baby not with wife, goes to check with siblings and in living room, goes back to wife to wake her up and ask wth is baby, wife gets up and repeats dh's search - then it hits them. OMG. Call the police.

All except the last step happened to us. It was heart pounding terrifying! Turns out our 12 month old had fallen out of his bed and didn't even wake up - just rolled under his bed still with a death grip on his buzz lightyear doll and stayed asleep there the entire time. It wasn't until we pulled on the buzz from half under his bed that we saw his fingers. He had scooted all the way to the wall. I literally had phone in hand to 911 and we were both a freaking hysterical mess when dh picked up that doll to hold.

Lots of people have a "charging station" type area. For some it's the kitchen counter, for some it's an hall entry table,..

Many people cannot sleep with the phone on the room. My dh has his cellphone set to ping/vibrate for emails, FB updates, texts, calendar, and so forth. And of course it lights up each time too. He doesn't want to turn it off bc then he forgets to turn them back on. But neither of us can sleep through the noise, vibration sounds/sensation, or flickering light. So dh doesn't sleep with his phone near the bed. It's on a shelf next to the key hooks so he doesn't forget it on his way to work.

I sleep with mine next to the bed and a packed diaper bag/purse. But I don't have my phone set for any notifications to annoy me all night either.:)

I didn't see this before I posted my other reply.

We do have a land line. However, we do not have an extension in the bedroom. If any of the phones ring, I wake up and go answer.

This is us too. We don't have any phones next to us at night. Even with a landline they could take the phone out if they wanted us to not be able to call someone. Like other posters have said, I would have the neighborhood awake quickly.

Kelly

Do you have a land line though? It sounds like those were the only phones in the house.

MANY people do not have a phone in the bedroom at all. Until about a year ago, we had never had a phone in our bedroom, land line or cell. If the phone rings, we get up and go answer it. If there is an intruder, the phone would be the second thing I grab, not the first.

I don't think I would ever agree to a polygraph-- I'm pretty certain I would fail it if the questions were emotionally fraught. I'm a very emotional/ anxious person even under normal circumstances. I also have VERY vivid dreams (when I was a kid I would mix up my dreams with reality) and if the question reflected anything I've dreamed about, I'm not sure my emotional response would reflect reality.

I am not sensing the parents are criminally involved here, and if the police are accusing her of hurting her abducted child I don't blame her if she does stop cooperating. I've watched a lot of true crime TV and the police often want to blame anyone as quickly as possible because it reflects poorly on their job performance if cases-- especially high profile cases-- go cold.

That would make me even more tuned to what was going on in the kids room. Even with DH home I'm usually the one up when I hear a kid heading to the bathroom to throw up in the middle of the night. Or worse. Just throwing up on the carpet in their room.

But everyone is different. I am a HEAVY sleeper when I am exhausted particularly. DS once crawled out of bed before he was a year old (and he slept NEXT to me!!) and got into some serious kitchen hijinx before I woke up. So it has got to be different for everyone.

I do think a complete stranger would have a hard time in my house; the 2 rabbits, the 4 cats, the 2 DOGS might cause him a problem or two but depending upon my exhaustion level, I might not. :D

I am one of those people who can sleep very deeply and NEEDS her sleep. DH is not as much.

The cell phones? We deliberately don't keep phones in our bedroom if DH is not on call. Here's our thinking: if there's a health emergency in the middle of the night with our parents or whatever, we are 120 miles away from them. They need to call an ambulance and we realistically aren't going to be able to do anything for anyone until the morning anyway. We have kids and pets. We can't just dump them and go if someone dies. And our hearts won't be better breaking at 3:00 a.m. than they would be at 7:00 a.m. It drives my family nuts but that's the way we do it.

I thought this odd as well... THREE phones on the counter right next to each other? :confused: Occasionally I forget and leave mine on the counter, but normally I would plug it in next to my bed at night. Dh's is in a different location, but not on the kitchen counter.

Good point, though, that someone made re: a person wanting a baby also wanting pics of that baby.

But everyone is different. I am a HEAVY sleeper when I am exhausted particularly. DS once crawled out of bed before he was a year old (and he slept NEXT to me!!) and got into some serious kitchen hijinx before I woke up. So it has got to be different for everyone.

I do think a complete stranger would have a hard time in my house; the 2 rabbits, the 4 cats, the 2 DOGS might cause him a problem or two but depending upon my exhaustion level, I might not. :D

I am one of those people who can sleep very deeply and NEEDS her sleep. DH is not as much.

The cell phones? We deliberately don't keep phones in our bedroom if DH is not on call. Here's our thinking: if there's a health emergency in the middle of the night with our parents or whatever, we are 120 miles away from them. They need to call an ambulance and we realistically aren't going to be able to do anything for anyone until the morning anyway. We have kids and pets. We can't just dump them and go if someone dies. And our hearts won't be better breaking at 3:00 a.m. than they would be at 7:00 a.m. It drives my family nuts but that's the way we do it.

Well, my phone is in the kitchen, too. However, I am VERY glad that my 8yo heard the phone and woke up the night that my ds totaled his car at 3am. No, I couldn't do anything for him physically, but I was able to get him calmed down and help him think through what he needed to do to get back to school. He was in shock and really wasn't thinking rationally.

ETA: Yes, I realize this was a TOTAL rabbit trail.:tongue_smilie: As to the original topic - I understand leaving phones elsewhere in the house. Only dh keeps his by the bed, but that is because it is his alarm, too.

Well, my phone is in the kitchen, too. However, I am VERY glad that my 8yo heard the phone and woke up the night that my ds totaled his car at 3am. No, I couldn't do anything for him physically, but I was able to get him calmed down and help him think through what he needed to do to get back to school. He was in shock and really wasn't thinking rationally.

ETA: Yes, I realize this was a TOTAL rabbit trail.:tongue_smilie: As to the original topic - I understand leaving phones elsewhere in the house. Only dh keeps his by the bed, but that is because it is his alarm, too.

And when my kids are someday out of the house, we'll probably do the phones differently. But right now, at 7 and 6 - they are still in bed with us. :001_smile:

I thought this odd as well... THREE phones on the counter right next to each other? :confused: Occasionally I forget and leave mine on the counter, but normally I would plug it in next to my bed at night. Dh's is in a different location, but not on the kitchen counter.

If dh and I aren't using ours, then they are usually with our keys, on the kitchen "desk" counter. So in our house, at night, there would be two, together, on the counter. We can charge both of them right there, which is often done at night. I don't see that be abnormal at all.

We have our phones plugged in next to each other on the kitchen counter. Our land line is in our bedroom.

So was this purple shorts/kitten shirt what she wore to bed?

Edited by Trish

A heavy heart here. The one hopeful thing I did here was that out of 278 stranger obductions of an infant all but 12 were returned. I am not getting any feeling that the parents were involved so that gives me hope that the baby will be returned.

266 returns? I wonder what that procedure looks like.