Menu

As a hs mom, I have taught ___ students at once.

How many kids have you hs'd at once? (k-12 only; in a single year)  

1. 1. How many kids have you hs'd at once? (k-12 only; in a single year)

• 10+

Five.

When teaching music or science in school, my largest class was 72. That was a 4th and 5th grade choir and I didn't have a teacher's aide. Didn't need one either! They were a great bunch of kids!!!!

At the time that I was teaching five (niece was with us for six months temporary custody), they were pre-k (but, he is the math and science gifted one so we studied math, astronomy, and physics every day), K, 2nd, 7th, and 8th.

Faith

I've got 2 & 2 that are hit-or-miss for pk stuff. I was just looking at all the balls I feel like I've got to juggle w/ THIS set & realizing that next year, #3 can't really be quite as hit-or-miss. #4 is only a year behind. So...double the balls? And then I thought about the really big families. :svengo:

Do y'all do anything differently from the rest of us? Like lock them in closets/use only textbooks? (J/k)

Five.

When teaching music or science in school, my largest class was 72. That was a 4th and 5th grade choir and I didn't have a teacher's aide. Didn't need one either! They were a great bunch of kids!!!!

At the time that I was teaching five (niece was with us for six months temporary custody), they were pre-k (but, he is the math and science gifted one so we studied math, astronomy, and physics every day), K, 2nd, 7th, and 8th.

Faith

Yeah, I taught ps, too. My biggest class was only about 40, but I went home on the weekends w/ over 200 essays to grade.

This is different. They're all doing different things in most subjects (except hist & science). And there's more than one subject (like...7-10).

It's not that I'd say it's harder, but...I don't get health benefits or a planning period. :lol:

I'm teaching 2, but since you specified K-12 only, I voted only 1 since DD4 is in preschool. Next year it will be two. Eventually, in 5 years, it will be 3.

Yeah, I've got a 4yo, & I do a SL core w/ her & 3yo, phonics & math w/ just her, & a smidge of Bible memory w/ both. But I didn't count either one of them, either because...I just do so much more from prep work to revisions w/ the bigger two, & then of course, there are the state requirements & the fact that I let 4yo go when she's "done." Unlike 10yo who I sit on & stare down. :lol:

4 this year, plus a 4yo boy :smash:

One has LDs, 2 are ADHD, one's gifted... it feels like 10 most days.

Dh thinks it's funny that my job as an SLP in a school for kids with severe emotional problems seemed much easier to me than my "job" now as homeschooling/homemaking mom of 5 kids with their own set of special needs. :tongue_smilie:

I voted 4 although this year I added some pre-K for my 4yo. She gets an hour of school all to herself. So next year it will officially be 5. When my youngest is in kindergarten, my oldest will be a senior in highschool. EEK!! Seven at one time. Then, it will slowly go back down. :D

ETA: So my brain is totally fried. I have 5 in school, plus my pre-K girl. Woops!! I just skewed your poll. Maybe I don't have enough brain cells left to even BE homeschooling! :blink:

Edited by silliness7

I said 10+ but they were not all mine. They all came to my house, and I taught them all. I designed the curriculum etc... it was much more like teaching in a one room school house (although we used every room in the house) and then I did hire a helper. It was a lot, but my kids had fun; I made a lot of money; I grew tremendously. I currently teach 7 girls two days a week in the same format. I have two of my own at home.

I can only imagine the chaos and stress that year must have been for you. *shudder*

Fortunately, "chaos" and "stress" are not the first words that come to mind when I think back on that year. It was crazy, as in insanely busy, but it was a happy time for us. This was an interesting poll. I had never thought about the actual numbers.

Wow, you know, I really always think I'm the norm, until I read polls like this. :001_huh:

11 that schooled 6? Only 11? But I guess adding the others, it's 16? Still...

Sigh.

I had to vote 2, which kind-of surprised me to *see,* but I've got plenty coming up behind. Just have to catch up to you. ;)

Two. Unless teaching a co-op class counts. That was 14.

I was thinking FT, all classes. I really meant kids living w/ you, so that daily life/chores are a part of it, too, but I didn't actually specify that.

Like I said in a pp, I taught ps & had a couple hundred. That's just a different thing. Apples & oranges, kwim?

In nearly a decade of hsing, I've never done it all myself. There might have been 4 kids hsing (3 of mine, plus another), but I never did all the education/teaching part alone. (My oldest never hs'd, if anyone knows the math. lol)

I do have to honestly answer O.

Edited by LibraryLover

The most I have homeschooled at once is six in grades 9, 7, 5, 3, and 2 in K. The next year my two oldest went to public school. I've been teaching 4 since then. I sent a few more off to public high school and gained a few more as they grew. Next year, I will only be homeschooling 2. That will be strange after teaching 4 or more for 12 years.

Susan in TX

I have 4 this year, I can't imagine adding another. It has been hard this year feeling like I am giving them all enough teaching time. I have had a lot of doubts this year that I haven't had in years. I think it's a combination of adding in youngest ds, who did all hands on learning last year, and my oldest being in 6th. Hard to balance the needs of the older 2 with the needs of the younger 2.

I've got 2 & 2 that are hit-or-miss for pk stuff. I was just looking at all the balls I feel like I've got to juggle w/ THIS set & realizing that next year, #3 can't really be quite as hit-or-miss. #4 is only a year behind. So...double the balls? And then I thought about the really big families. :svengo:

Do y'all do anything differently from the rest of us? Like lock them in closets/use only textbooks? (J/k)

We have had to go to textbooks only simply because I was not able to teach them all otherwise. I know some can do it with no problems, but I was not able to determine how to do a WTM education with 5 dc, 3 of whom have learning issues of various severities.