Menu

Here was dh's FB post today. Thoughts?

Confessions of a Homeschool Dad:

#1 - Fundraisers

Being accosted by multiple little salespeople from a wide array of school backgrounds, my little mind has been kicking this topic around. Since my kids are homeschooled I wondered, is it wrong to jump on this bandwagon and ride it too? I mean my kids can be very pursuasive and can flash the sad eyes on demand. Maybe we should hook up with one of these fundraising outfits and send our kids to the streets - or at least to dad's office or our church. I mean let's face it, if there's a school in America that is suffering from budget cuts and over-worked teachers a case can be made for the homeschooling family. I mean we don't get paid by anyone to school our children. I have yet to open my mailbox to find a check from uncle sam to help cover some of the costs of our textbooks and materials. We could send the kids home with a 'school supplies' list but guess what, that comes from the same pocket. So if my kids were to come up to you with candy bars, miscellaneous food items, candles, etc would you buy one?

Just a funny (yet somewhat serious) idea that's been bouncing around my head lately.

;)

I have thought about it for a specific class - a rather expensive one, but a great opportunity. Ds isn't old enough for it yet, but if we are in the same financial situation when he is...I think of it as sort of like raising money for a band trip. The ps kids do that all the time.

I'm not sure if I would actually do it though.

I wouldn't do it, but those thoughts have crossed my mind...and I feel no guilt politely declining to purchase the various fund raiser stuffs sold door-to-door.

In fact, I'm relieved we don't have the expectation of selling candy or wrapping paper....

That said, I do put some schoolish stuffs on Christmas wishlists every year when Grandma's and Grandpa's ask what the kids would want/need for Christmas.

My neighbor homeschools and they do fundraisers to help pay for extras like gymnastics. Very common around here for kids to do fundraising for camp, extra curriculars, etc.

I'm not opposed to participating in a fundraiser if it is something I'll actually use. They tend to do those script cards and I just buy a bunch for places we actually shop on a regular basis.

Ugh! That reminds me. I have to pick up fundraising packets this afternoon for band. We haven't really done much of this at.all. But things are tight and if this is a way to get a tuition break, we really need to put forth some effort. I'm REALLY not looking forward to it. I think we're selling Little Caesar's pizza kits, cookie dough etc. (I'm not sure what all is on the list) and Key cards (those discount coupon books) I HATE those things! Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

I hate, hate, hate fundraisers. I would rather give a donation.

My boys have to sell popcorn for scouts.

This year we are selling in front of a store. Whatever quota we don't meet there, I will donate.

I REFUSE to go door to door!

Dawn

PS: At our last popcorn sales "pep talk" it was presented as a great opportunity to introduce the boys to the real world of work. REALLY???? I would starve if I had to sell crap. Door to door sales in no real world work in my book.

AS YOU CAN TELL, I HAVE NO STRONG OPINIONS ON THIS! ;-)

I hate HAVING to buy wrapping paper/stale popcorn/inferior chocolate/etc. etc. for the PS kids so if a homeschooler approached me about it, I wouldn't LIKE it but I'd probably chuckle about it and mentally high five him or her for doing the same to everyone else.

But no, I wouldn't do this personally. Then my argument for handling the kids' education on MY own would be weakened.

I hate that fundraising stuff. When ds was in private school we were asked to do it too. It made me angry because we already paid huge tuition. I used to buy the junk from the neighborhood kids just to be nice. But now I don't even know these kids and the only time their parents want to talk to us is when the kid wants $ for fundraising. Last time I paid for a pie I never got! Now I don't buy any fundraising stuff. Yeah-I'm still bitter about that pie. Really wanted that darn pie! What a ripoff. :glare:

I have a friend that basically does this for any extras her children participate in. I asked her how she comes up with thousands of dollars to do this or that and she answered "fund raising". That just seemed "off" to me. My oldest didn't go to Mexico this summer because we didn't have the money ($1k). There is no way I would go around the church and beg for that. Going to Mexico is optional. I figure, if there is a scholarship, there is a scholarship. If not, then not. I've offered to actually sell stuff and it seems people respond less to a person actually trying to EARN money than to people just asking for money (backwards, imo).

I've heard of people putting up blogs and FB pages and such to raise money. Kind of like "I need XXX amount for school books (or to visit my girlfriend or to buy Christmas presents) this year. Please help" There is no candy bar or popcorn exchanged. And people send money. Boggles my mind.

Fundraising homeschoolers--no. :glare:

Industrious homeschoolers producing a product or offering a service that is a good value for the money? :thumbup1:

So, teach your dc to bake a really really good loaf of homemade bread, then come by my house every Friday and deliver it to me freshly-baked, and I'm *totally on board!* In fact, if they can get it here in the next 5 minutes or so, I'd pay a completely exorbitant price for that. :D

This year we are selling in front of a store. Whatever quota we don't meet there, I will donate.

Dawn

PS: At our last popcorn sales "pep talk" it was presented as a great opportunity to introduce the boys to the real world of work. REALLY???? I would starve if I had to sell crap. Door to door sales in no real world work in my book.

My husband sells his services door to door. It is a VERY real job. He goes door to door to do bids for window cleaning. Before starting his very successful business, my dad was a door to door salesman - to businesses rather than homes. Just pointing out, that there are still jobs that require this skill. Most jobs do require some level of salesmanship, to get the job and to perform well. It is a valuable skill to learn. BUT, there are other ways to learn it.

Unless your family is a nonprofit charitable organization, it wouldn't really be fundraising, it would be a business (a taxable business.) You would need to let people know that their contribution would not be tax deductable.

(We don't do fundraising in general - I give a donation instead - though.)

Sometimes they are considered gifts. But it depends on how it is done.

Fundraising homeschoolers--no. :glare:

Industrious homeschoolers producing a product or offering a service that is a good value for the money? :thumbup1:

So, teach your dc to bake a really really good loaf of homemade bread, then come by my house every Friday and deliver it to me freshly-baked, and I'm *totally on board!* In fact, if they can get it here in the next 5 minutes or so, I'd pay a completely exorbitant price for that. :D

I'm on board for this! Fresh bread right about now would be so good.

I distinctly dislike knocks on my door from school kids asking me to buy something I do not want so they can get a paltry percentage of the proceeds.

If I wanted to buy high priced crud I don't need, I have a number of stores at the mall to choose from at my own convenience and far more selection. :D

I know, I know....I'm a curmudgeon!

Faith

So, what kind of responses did he get on the FB post?

Well, he had taken a FB break recently, so most of the response was, "So, glad your back!" With a supportive innuendo. Then his note got picked up by a handful of other friends and reposted (all of whom have kids in PS).

I hate fundraising. I hated fundraising when ds was in a certain private school, especially since pratically everyone we knew had a kid there. I have been tempted to go stock on those M&Ms, the fundraiser kind, and go around and sell them. But I hate fundraising.

I do have some nice fresh from the trees pears I'll sell. Don't think they'd ship well though. Hm, Pears for Books program. May have to think about that one.

Confessions of a Homeschool Dad:

#1 - Fundraisers

Being accosted by multiple little salespeople from a wide array of school backgrounds, my little mind has been kicking this topic around. Since my kids are homeschooled I wondered, is it wrong to jump on this bandwagon and ride it too? I mean my kids can be very pursuasive and can flash the sad eyes on demand. Maybe we should hook up with one of these fundraising outfits and send our kids to the streets - or at least to dad's office or our church. I mean let's face it, if there's a school in America that is suffering from budget cuts and over-worked teachers a case can be made for the homeschooling family. I mean we don't get paid by anyone to school our children. I have yet to open my mailbox to find a check from uncle sam to help cover some of the costs of our textbooks and materials. We could send the kids home with a 'school supplies' list but guess what, that comes from the same pocket. So if my kids were to come up to you with candy bars, miscellaneous food items, candles, etc would you buy one?

Just a funny (yet somewhat serious) idea that's been bouncing around my head lately.

;)

No way would I do it and if a kid came to my door bearing "fundraisers" for homeschool (as opposed to the kid's private business) I would be irritated. We are not rolling in dough either--I'd consider it begging.

We are anti childrens fundraisers. My kids are not peddlers.:lol: Just one more reason to keep them home.

I gave him a firm "NO. We are not doing that." Mostly because he wanted to "fundraise" for an iPad for the kids.

This reminds me of something I saw on the news. Some school was issuing I-pads to Kindergarteners to improve test scores.:001_huh: Just one more colossal waste of tax payer funds.

No way would I do it and if a kid came to my door bearing "fundraisers" for homeschool (as opposed to the kid's private business) I would be irritated. We are not rolling in dough either--I'd consider it begging.

How is PS fundraising not begging? They already take money from everyone to fund public schools.

There was a family (not homeschoolers) who for years organized a golf tournament for the youth sports league in the community. When their own son became a contender to win state for wrestling, the family organized a golf tournament for their son's wrestling costs! :svengo: It was so gauche I was embarrassed for them, and I barely knew them.

I did hear of someone around here doing a fundraiser for their own personal homeschooling. Tacky. I also can't really imagine who would sympathize - the other homeschoolers would sympathize, maybe, but they have their own costs to pay. The public schoolers clearly would be apt to say, "I do pay taxes. You would not need materials if you would come down to our lowly level and send your kids to the paid-for school."

The FB post would be good for a laugh, maybe even a "like," but the truth of it is that I don't ever want to be caught complaining to non-homeschoolers about the expense of materials. Sure, I might murmur to my fellow homeschoolers if our favorite materials raise their rates or if I can't find a particular book to flesh out our history study, but I consider the subject of homeschooling expense as not for public knowledge.

Lastly, I hope it never does come to the possibility of getting a check from the government for homeschooling. I shudder at the thought. I won't trade liberty for a meal ticket.

Dawn

If it makes you feel any better, some of the very few folks I buy from are the Boy Scouts. I'd rather have a bag of popcorn to pop than magazines, candy or wrapping paper. Oh, and Girl Scouts, I just can't resist the Samoas!

I'll also consider Band organizations since I want to support music education.

well, our homeschool group DOES fundraise. Last year, the group sold coupon books (great savings, we bought one ourselves) and little Ceasar pizza kits. The proceeds go towards the end of the year trip. Schools do it for trips, why not homeschoolers? People have been quite supportive. Now, selling something is not the same as standing outside the grocery store with a bucket... :tongue_smilie:

well, our homeschool group DOES fundraise. Last year, the group sold coupon books (great savings, we bought one ourselves) and little Ceasar pizza kits. The proceeds go towards the end of the year trip. Schools do it for trips, why not homeschoolers? People have been quite supportive. Now, selling something is not the same as standing outside the grocery store with a bucket... :tongue_smilie:

I think this is a bit different from a homeschool family doing a fundraiser for their own costs. What you're talking about is just like any other group--sports, orchestra, scouts, whatever. Not the same as fundraising for books and other homeschooling materials, which is what the OP's husband's post was joking about and what most people here have an issue with.

I don't have any issue with that at all.