Menu

s/o going in the room with your kids for physical

WHY do kids have to have their genitals checked? Once boy's testicles have descended, why check genitals every year? And why do this for girls? I know that sometimes sexual abuse is a concern, but to put kids through that type of an exam is, to me, a violation. My girls HATE it, as did my boys. I'm at a point for my girls where I'm considering leaving a pediatrician and going to a family practice. I've been told that they don't do that there.

If there's a reason to check there, as in symptoms of some sort, that's different. I just don't understand why it has to happen every year.

And I'm with Keptwoman. I don't think yearly physicals are necessary. If there's an issue, you go to the doctor. I feel like I take my kids every year and a half or so (*definitely* stretch it out now) and it's for no other reason than to have a public record of their height and weight.

I also hate the yearly exams and admit I'm even further behind on mine. It's THE day I dread of the year (or two!) and I just don't think it's necessary for kids At All.

Annual exams revealed my dd's scoliosis, and my ds's amblyopia. I think annual exams are extremely important for issues the doctor can spot that we are so used to as parents that we just don't notice, or know enough to notice.

Boys and genital exams - hernia check.

Girls...dunno...my dd was never checked like that. We see family docs, not peds.

My boys don't care, I don't care, so it gets done. The only reason we go for annual check-ups for older boys is for Boy Scout physicals. We also do them to keep in touch - without an annual visit we may end up "inactive" as my dc RARELY have a sick visit. Then, when they did need to be seen because they were sick, we wouldn't have a regular doctor anymore!

My dd hasn't had hers checked since she was an infant.

I think there is something specific they are testing for (hernia?) when the boys have to "turn your head and cough."

I can't fathom why girls would be checked past toddlerhood.

I don't get this either.

I know my dh does the coughing thing, but I don't think my boys did until they got much, much older. Late teens. They also *hated* their yearly exam, and my girls don't want to go to the dr. for a physical.

I don't think yearly physicals are necessary. If there's an issue, you go to the doctor.
My son has been very healthy the past few years, so we only go in for the yearly well-child exam. DS was a preemie, though, and has had a lot of health problems over the years. Now that he is healthy and we are not in the office a dozen times a year w/breathing issues, I feel like I need to be up-to-date with the doctor - just in case. This week, I am actually glad that I have been steady with taking DS in. We are getting ready to fly internationally and I realized that his emergency breathing med prescription was out of date and I didn't want to leave the country w/o having it on hand. I was able to call in and the doctor phoned something in to the pharmacy, without question. If it had been more than a year, I doubt they would have.

We go to a family practice and they do check my boys, but not my girls. I can't think of a good reason why a girl's genitals would have to be checked unless there was a problem.

My boys don't like it, but it isn't a great big deal to them. They have to have yearly physicals to play sports. If they didn't, I'm sure it would happen less frequently.

I don't get this either.

I know my dh does the coughing thing, but I don't think my boys did until they got much, much older. Late teens. They also *hated* their yearly exam, and my girls don't want to go to the dr. for a physical.

Maybe it depends on the doc. It has been a while since I've had a IRL friend with boys between 5-12 but for some reason I thought it was about age 8 when that started.

I know this question was asked before and someone, a doctor? gave a very detailed answer. Hopefully someone well informed will chime in.

Personally were we live the waiting list for a family doctor is 5 years :glare: so this isn't a 'worry' I have.

Sheesh! I thought things were bad around here having to wait for a dentist for 2 years.

Maybe it depends on the doc. It has been a while since I've had a IRL friend with boys between 5-12 but for some reason I thought it was about age 8 when that started.

for all four of my kids, it has been at every single exam. Somehow as my girls get older, I feel bad because they are VERY embarrassed and don't like this At All. For two years now they absolutely DREAD their physicals. I really need to get them out of the pediatricians offices altogether. Maybe at a family practice we won't get drilled so much about SOCIALIZATION.:glare:

Sheesh! I thought things were bad around here having to wait for a dentist for 2 years.

We do have a walk in clinic. What is nice about it is if we do walk in we usual only have to wait for about 45 minutes for a doctor. But I do miss having a family doctor. I can drive back to where we use to live, but that is about 1 hour. This one area just happens to have none. :glare:

In later teen years, besides hernias, a doctor might also check for testicular cancer. Here's some info about both:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/guys/testicles.html#

A younger teen whose foreskin has not retracted might also get a look over.

Grown men get their prostates checked out, but that does not involve touching the testicles. My husband hates that exam with a passion.

Am I missing anything? Maybe some of the guys will dare to respond. :D

I went with my boys to get their physicals (which they need for camp.)

My 13 year old asked me to GET OUT when the doc asked him to drop his drawers! :lol: But other than that, I was in there. My 11 year old didn't care at all that I was in there.

Dawn

In later teen years, besides hernias, a doctor might also check for testicular cancer. Here's some info about both:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/guys/testicles.html#

A younger teen whose foreskin has not retracted might also get a look over.

Grown men get their prostates checked out, but that does not involve touching the testicles. My husband hates that exam with a passion.

Am I missing anything? Maybe some of the guys will dare to respond. :D

ok, so I can understand some checking for boys. I had a boyfriend diagnosed with testicular cancer in his teens, and he did die from it. Also, I can understand about the foreskin. Still, EVERY year?

And girls?

thanks. This was helpful!

Our kids go for a well visit every year and the doctor has never checked their genitals.

Anyway, I can see where there may be some benefit to it as a first grader in my husband's class last year was diagnosed with testicular cancer over the summer. :(

Edited by Daisy

ok, so I can understand some checking for boys. I had a boyfriend diagnosed with testicular cancer in his teens, and he did die from it.

Wow. That is sad.

Also, I can understand about the foreskin. Still, EVERY year?

I think if it hasn't retracted, some might check it out. Peds in the U.S. are not too familiar with dealing with intact boys, so that could have something to do with it. I don't know, though.

And girls?

From my understanding, they don't need as thorough of a checkup until their later teen years.

We've never done yearly physicals. The one that stirred up the ruckus on the other thread was required by my son's Boy Scout troop. I knew they'd be checking down there because there was a box to check for it! We were prepared (hey, it's the Boy Scout motto!) and that's why my husband was going to go with him. Up until this point, no doctor has even peeked down there since he was a baby.

I was actually glad to have it done today, since I really had no point of reference, and I now know he's developing appropriately.

My daughter has never had anything checked and I think she'd be positively mortified to have it done. The last time she was in doctor's office was 2 years ago for exercise induced asthma.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but we do see a family doctor.

I know this question was asked before and someone, a doctor? gave a very detailed answer. Hopefully someone well informed will chime in.

Personally were we live the waiting list for a family doctor is 5 years :glare: so this isn't a 'worry' I have.

:svengo: Seriously?! I had heard there was a shortage due to med students going into specialties to pay off their student loans, but I really had no idea it was that bad! I actually went to high school with our family doctor. We both moved "back home" to our hometown. At least the cost of living is cheap here.

My girls have been checked when they were seen by a new doctor. The last time was age 3. They didn't have to go through that this year (age 4). I hope you all are right, that they won't do that any more. It's embarrassing.

I don't remember ever being looked at down there (including by a ped) unless I was at the doc for a specific issue down there. That said, my parents didn't take us for "well child" visits, only when we were sick. I had my first "physical" at age 18 for a job.

I do take my kids to annual "well child" visits, as their daycare requires it (per state law). I don't see continuing this once I have a choice in the matter.

For boys we are looking primarily for whether or not the testicles are descended and hernias. It's not uncommon (I'm guessing off the top of my head we have about one a year) where we find an undecsended testicle in a boy where we previously recorded it as descended. This can be for a couple of reasons: the doctor messed up previously and the testicle was never there, the doctor felt a fat pad before instead of a real testicle, or a testicle which had been retractile but able to be brought into the scrotum is now fully in the canal. Testicles develop in the abdomen and descend into the scrotum. There are true undescended testicles, which means they never left the abdomen or canal. There are testicles that are retractile (spending most of the time in the canal but can be brought down into the scrotum) and then there are testicles in the normal position. The age of the boy also dictates what is normal. It's normal for a 5 year old to have retractive testicles it is not normal for a 14 year old. However, because sometimes the exam changes or another doctor has done it previously, I dont' like to assume that "it's ok because it was ok last year".As a boy gets older, I can often just see by visual inspection if the testicles are in the scrotum.

We also check boys for hernias, which are very important to know about, especially in the case of sports. Finally, we check for masses, although that's much less common. In our practice we have had two kids diagnosed with serious illnesses during the exam of the inguinal area.

For girls, we check for labial adhesions in younger girls.

In both boys and girls we check for pubertal development. I once had a baby brought in at 4 months who had very elevated testosterone that we discovered because of abnormal genitalia size. More commonly we have older kids who are showing signs of early puberty (or delayed puberty).

Other points:

Sometimes older kids and teens have concerns about the genital area that they are not going to ask about and parents are not seeing. I've seen STDs and folliculitis and abcesses and acne. None were asked about when I asked if they had any concerns. I saw the issue and asked, the teens were then relieved to be able to address it.

I think examination of the genital area is important, just as I think examination of the rest of the body is important for a physical. I try and be sensitive to the kids (and parents). I try to explain what we are looking for and why it's important (in general age appropriate terms "I need to make sure your whole body is healthy".) Still, I know some kids who are very embarrassed or outright refuse. I would never force anyone and if they are really sensitive we just let them waive the exam. It is their right.

I have boys, but I always remember my pediatrician checking when I was a kid. He was a very dignified guy who had only recently immigrated from India (we were among his first patients) and I clearly recall him saying in that accent, "Excuse me, now I must check your genitals," and then he would quickly peek in. I don't remember it being terribly embarrassing, though.

As for what they are checking for, I'm no doctor, but I'd assume rashes, infections, and signs of abuse, for starters. I had melanoma in my twenties and now even my dermatologist looks in there -- you can get melanoma on your mucous membranes -- but I'm not sure if that's relevant for kids or not.

ETA: x-posted with Dr. Alice. Interesting info -- thanks!

Edited by JennyD

I can't imagine HOW you check genitals on a 9 year old girl. Do they have to spread their legs? Does the doctor touch them?!?! Even on my baby/toddler the doctor never ever touched, just peeked quickly then put the diaper back on. Heavens, do little girls have to get naked for exams?? I never did that, and wouldn't allow it for a girl out of diapers.

I can't imagine HOW you check genitals on a 9 year old girl. Do they have to spread their legs? Does the doctor touch them?!?! Even on my baby/toddler the doctor never ever touched, just peeked quickly then put the diaper back on. Heavens, do little girls have to get naked for exams?? I never did that, and wouldn't allow it for a girl out of diapers.

yes, they do have to get naked and yes, the legs are FULLY spread.

I have five dds and two step-dds. They never had their genitals checked past diaper age until they were ready pap smears. I can't think of a single legitimate reason to do this to all girls nor would I have allowed it. My famiy doctor would not even allow my dd a pap smear and BCP until she had firms plans to have sexual relations. My dds are all very healthy and I can't see where this has adversely effected their health in any way. But I can guarantee that my dds would never have willing went to another appointement if that had happened just once. I simply can not imagine that dr. would find enough problems to justify doing this to every young girl. I would be finding a new dr.

In both boys and girls we check for pubertal development. I once had a baby brought in at 4 months who had very elevated testosterone that we discovered because of abnormal genitalia size. More commonly we have older kids who are showing signs of early puberty (or delayed puberty).

Other points:

Sometimes older kids and teens have concerns about the genital area that they are not going to ask about and parents are not seeing. I've seen STDs and folliculitis and abcesses and acne. None were asked about when I asked if they had any concerns. I saw the issue and asked, the teens were then relieved to be able to address it.

I was also told by a doctor he was looking for signs of sexual abuse?

I am an FNP and I don't routinely do genital checks on any kids older than 3 or 4 as a part of a well child exam. I do an exam in their underwear, and I talk to both them and their parents about problems that they should watch out for and ask if everything seems normal. I will do a genital exam if there is an indication. To me, it has been more important that I gain a family and child's trust and am not too invasive, rather than screen normal kids for a not incredibly common problem. My son refused to go back to the Dr. he has had since birth after she did a scrotal exam that he wasn't comfortable with (he was about 7) and that definitely made me rethink the issue. In general, parents are usually alert to problems with their kids and report them to me.

Our ped checks them every year during their physical. He always asks their permission first and if they refuse(as my dd did last year) he doesn't do it no problem. He told me he is checking them for the same reasons Dr. Alice said above. He was more concerned about checking ds than about checking dd. DS had issues with his foreskin and infections as a toddler. He was unretractable until about 6 weeks ago, around teh same time he finally hit stage 2 of pubertal development. The ped wanted to ensure he was healthy as well monitor his onset of puberty. With dd he was less concerned since she never had any problems down there, same with my other kids.

The peds we've had have not asked our dds get naked nor do they have to spread their legs. They were in normal clothes and the ped would do a check. I never liked their answers as to why and it seemed ridiculous so we switched to a family practice dr who has never felt a need to do a check at all.

yes, they do have to get naked and yes, the legs are FULLY spread.

My kids were never fully naked, nor were the legs fully spread. The ped had them pull their pants down just enough to check them and offered them a sheet to cover up from the rest of us. For the boys their legs are never spread more than they would naturally be when laying down. For teh girls they are spread just enough to check, much like when you spread the legs on a little one to change a diaper. It was checked quickly and underpants and pants pulled back up. and teh rest of the exam continued. (he always started at the head and worked down). My kids have not been naked at a well child check up since they were 1 yr old.

I have three girls, and have had various doctors over the years. No doctor has ever checked genitals past diaper age unless there was an issue. I know they would be horrified at their current age if they had to do that.

Same with DD. That has not happened to her. Even the gyn she goes to for birth control pills (she has severe anemia without them) is up a creek -- DD refuses to have that kind of exam unless *she* agrees it is necessary. I support that, and so does the nurse midwife she got shuffled off to when she disagreed with the doctor.

I don't know about for girls out of diapers, but I will have ds checked every year. Dh's younger brother had testicular cancer that was, fortunately, caught early and he has recovered well. But having that family history and seeing first hand how young it can hit...yep, every year.

Me either. My kids go for vaccines when they need them as babies, toddlers, etc. After that we go when they are sick. None of them have any significant issues though so it just hasnt been necessary.

We go, partly, to stay on as patients. My kids often go a year or more between needing to be seen for illness.