Menu

I guess all Christian wives should keep doing those crossword puzzles

The saddest thing about Pat Robertson is that he doesn't seem to have anyone in his life who truly loves him.

If they did love him, they would cancel his TV and radio contracts, obtain P.O.A. if necessary and find a good doctor for him, and take a few other measures to get him entirely out of the public eye.

He's obviously gone 'round the bend. At the least, he has lost his filter. This isn't the first time he has been totally outrageous in recent years. Why aren't they protecting him from himself? Why are they letting these ridiculous episodes become his legacy, when he'd enjoyed decades of respect in his community?

The saddest thing about Pat Robertson is that he doesn't seem to have anyone in his life who truly loves him.

If they did love him, they would cancel his TV and radio contracts, obtain P.O.A. if necessary and find a good doctor for him, and take a few other measures to get him entirely out of the public eye.

He's obviously gone 'round the bend. At the least, he has lost his filter. This isn't the first time he has been totally outrageous in recent years. Why aren't they protecting him from himself? Why are they letting these ridiculous episodes become his legacy, when he'd enjoyed decades of respect in his community?

Maybe he has alzheimer's and his family moved on to bigger and better things??

I don't know...I would think he needs some medical attention...and you are probably right about his family pulling him out of the public eye. BUT, it is the outrageous that sells ad space...sigh.....

:iagree:

And I find it rather ironic that one of the early warning signs of Alzheimer's is that "loss of filter."

Wow. What a gross idea. :(

I lost my sweetheart of a grandmother to Alzheimer's six months ago. Her decline started ten years before that. She lived at home with my grandpa until a few weeks before she died. My dad and his siblings moved her to a home because my grandpa was in the hospital with pneumonia. It's a painful way to lose a loved one, but I'm sure my grandpa never even considered divorcing her! It probably helped that she was devotedly in love with him. Even though she forgot her grandkids and children, she didn't forget him. Every time she saw him she smiled and said how glad she was to see "her Tom." :)

I am not at all convinced he ever had an appropriate filter.

Pat Robertson says that it's OK to divorce your wife if she has Alzheimers and cannot perform her wifely duties.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44530424/ns/health-alzheimers_disease/

astrid

Maybe he's getting Alzheimers; I can't imagine that is a popular opinion. It's surely not for my family... parents... and community!! I'm sure glad my mom and dad stuck together... even though my mom got cancer!! That's not "fun" either!

I wasn't ever a fan or follower of PR so I don't know much about what he used to be like. I only know that people now say, "What happened to PR?" So probably he held some of these offensive beliefs in the past but was able to couch them in Christianese or something.

It does seem like early stages of Alzheimers or dementia to me.

Pat Robertson says that it's OK to divorce your wife if she has Alzheimers and cannot perform her wifely duties.

astrid

Pat Robertson really was an intelligent, thoughtful, very successful business person, with a wide range of experience in a variety of endeavors, including some that were centerd around putting hands and feet to compassion.

His decline is a sight that is very sad. The grace and compassion of his earlier years is no longer evident.

That's why I'm thinking about what kind of a great-granny I want to be, and trying to cultivate those habits now. Lord, help me!

I wasn't ever a fan or follower of PR so I don't know much about what he used to be like. I only know that people now say, "What happened to PR?" So probably he held some of these offensive beliefs in the past but was able to couch them in Christianese or something.

It does seem like early stages of Alzheimers or dementia to me.

some forms of alzheimers can totally change a person, all depends upon what area's of the brain are most affected. I observed a woman who was absolutely foul-mouthed and insulting of her son. I was *amazed* at how patient he was with her. I've a friend who cared for her mil who also had the "bad kind" of alzheimer's.

that said - I think he's always thought these sort of things, just did a better job filtering himself.

Those are the repercussions for surrounding yourself with yes men.

I lost my sweetheart of a grandmother to Alzheimer's six months ago. Her decline started ten years before that. She lived at home with my grandpa until a few weeks before she died. My dad and his siblings moved her to a home because my grandpa was in the hospital with pneumonia. It's a painful way to lose a loved one, but I'm sure my grandpa never even considered divorcing her! It probably helped that she was devotedly in love with him. Even though she forgot her grandkids and children, she didn't forget him. Every time she saw him she smiled and said how glad she was to see "her Tom." :)

:001_wub:

That's what I was going to post. I hope the world doesn't think most Christians align with him!

:iagree:

astrid

PR needs a keeper. He infuriates me. I keep hoping that whatever idiocy he has come out with lately will be the one that finishes him off.

Our well-loved pastor resigned our church years ago, when his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, in order to spend the rest of the time she had left caring for her ad her needs. The way he cares for her, changing her diapers, feeding her, and remembering their anniversary every year is one of the most touching and inspiring things I've ever witnessed. What a privilege to be loved like that.

I am not at all convinced he ever had an appropriate filter.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And his comprehension skills need some work, too. What part of "in sickness AND in health" did he not comprehend? :001_rolleyes:

I don't know that much about Pat Robertson because I don't waste time watching "Christian" shows on TV. :glare: However, he must have had some credibility at some point, because I had to show my husband the quote to prove that he really made the statement. DH was still worried that it might have been taken out of context.

He gave truly sick advice, and if he's supposed to represent mainstream Christianity then I wish they would shut down his show. I don't need that kind of representation. Not that I would consider myself "mainstream" anyway.

My mother stuck by my father in his last days as he succumbed to dementia, and he was often verbally abusive, physically violent and downright dangerous because of his size alone, even in his emaciated state. Still, she stuck it out with an integrity I hope I can copy and she loved him till the very end. I can't imagine her moving on and "starting over" simply because he could no longer be her husband in any sense of the word.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And his comprehension skills need some work, too. What part of "in sickness AND in health" did he not comprehend? :001_rolleyes:

I'm just sick that there are people who might actually take his words to heart. And this is not a Biblical stance on divorce by any means! My grandfather had a head injury that caused Alzheimer's like loss of faculties for the last 10 years of his life. My strongly Christian grandmother would not think of divorcing him even though he was in a nursing home with around the clock care starting at age 55. My grandmother was only in her early 50's/ She did remammary in her mid 60's, but not until my grandfather died. I admire the fact that she was willing to abide by her marriage vows even when her husband was not even able to know who she was.

So by his logic, should a woman be able to divorce her husband if he's impotent and can no longer perform his "husbandly" duties?

Oh brother.

It seems to me his misses the message that living with one who is suffering, one who can't love you back, changes you more to the image of the Suffering Christ than many things.

I think he is out there but wasn't his response to a situation where the husband was already cheating on his wife? Isn't that a little different than just saying, "Go and divorce your sick spouse b/c they are sick." Seems more like a well "if you are not going to honor your vows by being faithful than you should divorce her first."

I think he is out there but wasn't his response to a situation where the husband was already cheating on his wife? Isn't that a little different than just saying, "Go and divorce your sick spouse b/c they are sick." Seems more like a well "if you are not going to honor your vows by being faithful than you should divorce her first."

It seemed more like he gave the husband an excuse. ...to just consider the Alzheimer's to be like a "death" and therefore fulfilling the idea of "til death do us part." It comes across to me as, "Your wife is dead already, so moving on with another woman is no big deal."

Pitiful advice. I hope he's fired. Probably won't be, though, considering the whackadoodles that fill Christian television and to borrow Audrey's term.

"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part..."

Well, now that there is a line item veto on "in sickness" --- why can't any other line be vetoed?

What would be the point of marriage vows in the first place? :banghead:

It seemed more like he gave the husband an excuse. ...to just consider the Alzheimer's to be like a "death" and therefore fulfilling the idea of "til death do us part." It comes across to me as, "Your wife is dead already, so moving on with another woman is no big deal."

Pitiful advice. I hope he's fired. Probably won't be, though, considering the whackadoodles that fill Christian television and to borrow Audrey's term.

What would he be fired from, exactly? :lol:

Doesn't he pretty much own most of that stuff? (the 700 club, etc...did he say this on the 700 club?)

That's a little harshly put, but I think you are onto the problem. My son asked me about this yesterday when he read it in the paper, and my first response was that he is pretty old man and just blurts out things he may not have said or thought years ago. Judge not, lest you be judged and all that. That's how I explained it. I also speculated whether he may be having this issue himself and is telling his wife what he wants. Who knows?

That's a little harshly put, but I think you are onto the problem. My son asked me about this yesterday when he read it in the paper, and my first response was that he is pretty old man and just blurts out things he may not have said or thought years ago. Judge not, lest you be judged and all that. That's how I explained it. I also speculated whether he may be having this issue himself and is telling his wife what he wants. Who knows?

But he is a person of authority. It's not like grandpa sitting around in his living room spouting off information.

It's not judgment to oppose what someone states in a public format. Many people are avid followers of Pat Robertson. I would speculate, because of the years he has been on TV, that many of those followers are elderly and perhaps dealing with ailing spouses. His comments could create a crisis of faith and loyalty to marriage for those who embrace his viewpoint.

I sent my Christian friend a crossword puzzle book this week and she left me a bag of dog poo on my door step. I wet my pants laughing so hard, the kids though I'd lost my mind. :lol::lol::lol:

When I called her, she told me in her sweetest voice ever, "Don't worry! I'm not that kind of Christian!" And that made me laugh even harder. :D

So I've had a lot of fun with Pat Robertson this week. The freaking maniac...

Our well-loved pastor resigned our church years ago, when his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, in order to spend the rest of the time she had left caring for her ad her needs. The way he cares for her, changing her diapers, feeding her, and remembering their anniversary every year is one of the most touching and inspiring things I've ever witnessed. What a privilege to be loved like that.

what a wonderful example of loving your spouse. thank you for sharing.