Menu

Movies that made you cry? Top recommendations?

Departures was a very cool film- wonderful music too.

I can't believe it took 40 posts for someone to mention PS I love you. I went through half a box of tissues, and normally I can pull myself together during a movie.

Eight Below is another, we used to have huskies. I can never watch that movie again. I warned my mother never to watch that movie.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Different sort of movie, but I am guaranteed to cry exactly four times when watching Mr. Holland's Opus. It doesn't matter how many times I've watched it or that I know what's coming, I still cry at exactly the same spots every time. My oldest dd's college music appreciation class watched it and I challenged her to figure out where I cry. She nailed every one of them; I guess she knows me well :001_smile:

Mary

Atonement

The Time Traveler's Wife

P.S. I Love You (even dh got a bit misty eyed with this one)

The Man in the Moon. I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix streaming right now. I saw that in the movies with my mom and sister when I was in high school, and all three of us were weeping.

I can't think of anything more recent, but Terms of Endearment always made me cry.

These are the movies I was going to suggest. They are all great movies, but will make you cry buckets.

P.S. I Love You (even dh got a bit misty eyed with this one)

:iagree:

My DH cried buckets the first time he watched that movie.

I cry every. single. time.

That scene where she keeps calling his phone to hear his voice mail? Yeah, I lose it. Because I can totally see that being me.

Other movies that make me cry:

The Notebook

Marley and Me

A Walk to Remember

Schindler's List

RENT

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest, most heart-wrenching movie I have ever seen. I start sobbing near the beginning and don't stop for days. If you check into this, don't be put off by the fact that it is animated. This is like no other animation. Here are the first two paragraphs from Wikipedia:

Grave of the Fireflies (火垂るの墓 Hotaru no Haka?) is a 1988 Japanese animated war drama film written and directed by Isao Takahata. This is the first film produced by Shinchosha, who hired Studio Ghibli to do the animation production work. It is an adaptation of the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Akiyuki Nosaka, intended as a personal apology to the author's own sister.

Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made. Animation historian Ernest Rister compares the film to Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List and says, "it is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen."[

Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest, most heart-wrenching movie I have ever seen.

I couldn't sit through it again, but I'm not sorry to have seen it. It's not just "sad," it's devastating.

There are some on this thread I definitely cried while watching, like Up--especially when she's in the garden with the sun on her face after having gotten the news from the dr., makes me tear up just thinking about it.

I always tear up at certain points during The Family Man no matter how many times I've seen it (I watch it every couple of years--at Christmastime).

ETA: Thanks to those who posted about Grave of the Fireflies. My son and I have seen many Studio Ghibli films and it's good to know we may want to wait on this one for awhile (he's 10). Princess Mononoke and Pom Poko remain two of his favorite movies, but this one sounds sadder and more intense than those.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

oh why am i here?! i am emotional enough and don't need any help!!

lots of good suggestions here that I'm going to avoid:tongue_smilie:

I can't remember it very well but what about What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams? I thought there was some sad parts in it.

I agree with the Life is Beautiful recommendation too.

ETA: Thanks to those who posted about Grave of the Fireflies. My son and I have seen many Studio Ghibli films and it's good to know we may want to wait on this one for awhile (he's 10). Princess Mononoke and Pompoko remain two of his favorite movies, but this one sounds sadder and more intense than those.
Much. That it was originally shown on a double bill with My Neighbor Totoro in Japan blows my mind.

One I haven't seen mentioned is Marley and Me. If you are an animal lover, it will make you bawl!

I was on an airplane a while ago and this was the inflight movie. I wasn't paying attention, but I certainly noticed when every single person around me (including the house-sized rugby player squished beside me in his "I eat my enemies" tee shirt) was sobbing openly. I thought I'd missed an announcement that we'd lost engine power, or something.

Also... I'm not partial to it, but apparently The Champ contains the saddest scene ever (measured :tongue_smilie:):

The Saddest Movie in the World

How do you make someone cry for the sake of science? The answer lies in a young Ricky Schroder

When I asked dh for his recommendations he said he's heard (but hasn't seen it) that The Champ is the best crying movie ever. For him, there's a scene in The Patriot that he can't even talk about without getting teary-eyed.

Edited by Alphabetika

There are some on this thread I definitely cried while watching, like Up--especially when she's in the garden with the sun on her face after having gotten the news from the dr., makes me tear up just thinking about it.

I always tear up at certain points during The Family Man no matter how many times I've seen it (I watch it every couple of years--at Christmastime).

ETA: Thanks to those who posted about Grave of the Fireflies. My son and I have seen many Studio Ghibli films and it's good to know we may want to wait on this one for awhile (he's 10). Princess Mononoke and Pom Poko remain two of his favorite movies, but this one sounds sadder and more intense than those.

:iagree:with last paragraph - we're huge Ghibli fans and have all the Miyazaki movies, but this one we haven't had the guts to try yet.

It's interesting to see the variety of movies that make people cry. I'd totally forgotten that Fiddler on the Roof makes me cry, even though I've seen it probably more than 20 times. (It's not until the end where I see the old lady being carried out on the bed.)

I'm probably a dork, but I always cry at the end of Rocky. (Adrian!!!!)

Shadowlands

Cast Away. They played a scene from this in the movie Bridesmaids and I actually started bawling (Bridesmaids is a really raunchy comedy :lol:). It was the part where Tom Hanks loses Wilson. That part gets me every time.

The Remains of the Day

My Girl

Toy Story 3....I cried almost the whole way through!

Fiddler on the Roof, as many have said, always makes me cry. And cry.

Not sure if you're looking for chick flicks ... these two definitely are "guy" flicks, with shocking violence that I can't watch directly, but both make me laugh out loud and also cry like a baby (sometimes simultaneously ...):

In Bruges (Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson)

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood and Hmong neighbors)

Both are dark and gritty, but with beautiful themes of redemption, courage, survival, etc. Amazing.

so you love animals? Andre makes me cry STILL, and I've seen it over 30 times. Also, Old Yeller, Where The Red Fern Grows, Haichi. I just saw Haichi recently and MAN did I cry like a blubbering idiot. Andre and Haichi are true stories but you probably need to be an animal lover to get all emotional over them.

Up Close and Personal

Terms of Endearment

Driving Mrs Daisy

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

drawing a blank right now but those will get you started.

An Unfinished Life

One True Thing

Legends of the Fall

Australia

Cinderella Man

I cried so hard at the beginning segment of Up that we had to stop the DVD and let me compose myself. I was totally caught off guard. I also cried a lot watching Toy Story 3. One scene was especially tearful.

:iagree:with last paragraph - we're huge Ghibli fans and have all the Miyazaki movies, but this one we haven't had the guts to try yet.

Yes, that's it precisely. We haven't had the guts yet to watch Grave of the Fireflies. Our time will come.

Shadowlands

Oh my gosh, Shadowlands! How could I forget?