Menu

Trendy words and phrases that grate - just for fun

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, no one has yet mentioned how preteens and teens are using literally to mean...not literally! I had one girl in my Sunday School class say "I literally died!" and I am blinking my eyes in incredulity because she, of course, is standing right in front of me very much alive.:confused::tongue_smilie:

And it "drives me up a wall" (does that bother anyone?) when my sister says, "OK, hope that works for ya" if she believes it will not.

Lakota

OK, no one has yet mentioned how preteens and teens are using literally to mean...not literally! I had one girl in my Sunday School class say "I literally died!" and I am blinking my eyes in incredulity because she, of course, is standing right in front of me very much alive.:confused::tongue_smilie:

And it "drives me up a wall" (does that bother anyone?) when my sister says, "OK, hope that works for ya" if she believes it will not.

Lakota

My pastor once used literally to mean not literally - can't remember the context now. I almost fell out of the pew. Dh and I glanced at each other wide-eyed and smiled. I do give Pastor a little room for those kinds of mistakes, though, because it's easy to trip up like that when you're speaking for a long time. He really does know what the word means.

as for "hope that works for ya" - I hear ya.:D

"my bad"

First of all, bad is NOT a noun people! My inclination (which I don't actually do:tongue_smilie:) is to snigger and say, "Your bad what?"

As if this silly phrase didn't bother me enough, both boys went to camp this summer and started using it.

And even worse than that, is if I hear something like this enough (I mean too much) then it creeps it's way into my head and wants to come out.

"my bad"

First of all, bad is NOT a noun people! My inclination (which I don't actually do:tongue_smilie:) is to snigger and say, "Your bad what?"

As if this silly phrase didn't bother me enough, both boys went to camp this summer and started using it.

And even worse than that, is if I hear something like this enough (I mean too much) then it creeps it's way into my head and wants to come out.

I think this is a very common phenomenon. I know it happens to me. Again, federal grant money needed here.:D

Hmm, I thought this phrase came from Robert's Rules of Order where a topic can be tabled (deferred).

I'm pretty certain it does. I remember this from FFA.

ETA: I would table a discussion, or making a decision, but shelve an idea or project (I'm shelving my plans to re-do my family room until I'm done with the kitchen/dining area.).

Edited by darlasowders

I'm pretty certain it does. I remember this from FFA.

It most certainly does. And shelve something means something way different than table. When you table something, you are coming back to it later most often. The connotation with shelving something is that you are done with it, it is being forgotten at least for the foreseeable future. It is "off the table".:001_smile:

I'm guilty of using this quite often, and "Seriously?" follows close behind. :blush:

Oh my, I am guilty of this too. With 12 kids, and seeing sometimes the things they do all I can think of to say is, "Seriously?" or, "Are you for real, tell me you didn't just do that." Again, having older kids in the house I think some of this rubs off on me! But the one that I cannot tolerate is, DUH!! My kids don't even try that one!:tongue_smilie:

"What does that LOOK LIKE?" as in "Non-physical punishment. Can you tell me what that looks like?" "Can you tell me what unschooling looks like?"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I was at a homeschooling seminar a couple of years ago (never went back) and apparently the word "paraclete" was VERY popular. "God wants to paraclete with you......you need to paraclete with your kids.....you need to paraclete, I need to paraclete, he/she/it needs to paraclete". I kept saying, "is this the new Christian buzzword?!"

Count me as a hater for the aforementioned:

Literally when used incorrectly. (someone said on TV recently that they made so many of something that "we literally had them coming out of our ears". DD and I just stared in disbelief!

"pick your brain" about something. Eww and EWWWW!

"Shoot me an email".

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I've noticed a few words and phrases that seem to be overused any more and I was just wondering if anyone else out there found them grating as well.

Unpack - as in "Let me unpack this idea for you."

Cobble together - as in "I cobbled together a history program."

carve out - as in "be sure to carve out some mommy time" or some other such thing.

I don't know why - when I first read these I thought they were nifty ways of putting things, but now they just grate. Perhaps it is the overuse. Perhaps it is the feeling I get that the user is trying to be trendy - trying to appear to be on the cutting edge when, in fact, these words/phrases have been around for several years now.

Maybe I'm just grouchy because I stayed up all night listening to rain and wind wondering when the power was going to go out (which it never did, thankfully). Which, of course, begs the question, "Why be grouchy then?":D

Awesome and Amazing. Everything is now awesome or amazing. How do we now describe something that really is awesome or amazing?

"Seriously" comes out of my teens' mouths way too often. Lately, when I counter with an irritated stare, they come back with, "No. Really. Seriously?!?" *grrrr*

Also, as a transplanted northerner, a few southern expressions make me chuckle.

"might could" as in "I might could do that."

Also the phrase usually used when someone mentions depressing news or a set back, "Oh, I hate that for you."

The one that's been bugging me lately (probably because my 9 year old says it at least 10 times a day) is when people use the word "literally" and don't actually mean "literally."

For instance, my son told me that his friend "literally has a million pokemon cards." :001_rolleyes:

OK, no one has yet mentioned how preteens and teens are using literally to mean...not literally! I had one girl in my Sunday School class say "I literally died!" and I am blinking my eyes in incredulity because she, of course, is standing right in front of me very much alive

Yes, this is mine, too!

We've changed "Are you serious?" to "Are you serial?" just to change things up a bit. (Oh, no! - change things up grates me too.):D

I do that, too, except in my head I'm seeing "cereal." :lol:

But "change things up" is slightly irritating.:D

I was at a homeschooling seminar a couple of years ago (never went back) and apparently the word "paraclete" was VERY popular. "God wants to paraclete with you......you need to paraclete with your kids.....you need to paraclete, I need to paraclete, he/she/it needs to paraclete". I kept saying, "is this the new Christian buzzword?!"

I have never heard that word before in my life.:confused: In fact I had no idea what it meant until I just now searched for it online.

"Really?" is the new one that slightly bothers me and yes, I have caught myself saying it. The one that has grated on my nerves more than any and always has from the very first time I ever heard it is, "my bad." I can't stand that for some reason. I have had professional people use it in conversations when I have been handling business and I think it sounds so unprofessional and even uneducated. My kids know not to say it! And, I have never said it.

My biggies are:

at the end of the day

in a heartbeat

it is what it is

not so much

I mean (DH starts most sentences with that and interrupts each sentence at least once with "like")

When people say or write "think" to to tell me what I should be thinking (think pure white-hot loathing).

I can't believe I just wrote an example of that. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by cani e porci

"My bad." I HATE that! My bad what? Attitude? Body odor? Attention span? What? What is bad because you can't just leave it hanging there.

That's the only one that really bothers me. I cringe when I hear it.

My teenager could not have a conversation without the aforementioned epic, fail, seriously?, random, and literally that doesn't actually mean literally. None of it bugs me. I'm just glad he never says, "my bad". :D

That doesn't even make good walking around sense.

Another that bugs me is "own it" As in owning one's emotions or problems or other inanimate objects.

It most certainly does. And shelve something means something way different than table. When you table something, you are coming back to it later most often. The connotation with shelving something is that you are done with it, it is being forgotten at least for the foreseeable future. It is "off the table".:001_smile:

Which might actually be the case with my family room project. :tongue_smilie:

That's the cat's pajamas!

Holy Atomic Pile, Batman!

Have a nice day!

The internets

To be or not to be (STFU already, Bill! We know!)

Without these, how do I know where I am and where I've come from?

None of these phrases bother me, however. :)

LOL

Edited by LibraryLover

I haven't read every page, but I hear over used, trendy ways of talking and it grates:

It is what it is. . .

At the end of the day. . .

And the latest thing I hear a lot. Let's say I ask, "do you have your car keys?"

"I do." Instead of whatever we used to say like, "yes, I do" or "I have them" or whatever.

I hear, "I do" a lot lately.

I would say that yes, "cobble together" bugs me, but I hadn't thought about it until now.

And this "random" thing is entirely new to me. Why are the teens saying this? Is it like "rad" used to be??

I have to add one more! It's become fashionable for room designers (on TV -- I'm not lucky enough to see one IRL) to say, for example that the wall "really pops" because of the color or whatever. The "pops" thing is getting on my nerves.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64

Obsessed. As in, "I'm just obsessed with this lip gloss right now." And a few sentences later, "I'm obsessed with side buns. It's all I want to do with my hair lately." And again, "I'm like, totally obsessed with big earrings."

I don't know if this is local, or if teens everywhere say it, but I'm obsessed with this trend coming to an end very soon.

"One of the only."

As in, "Smith Park is one of the only parks in the city to have a fountain."

I see/hear this on the news all.the.time from people who should know better. DO THE RESEARCH!!! Either it is "THE ONLY", or it is "one of the few". If you don't know which, then change the wording to avoid quantifying it.

:rant:

Obsessed. As in, "I'm just obsessed with this lip gloss right now." And a few sentences later, "I'm obsessed with side buns. It's all I want to do with my hair lately." And again, "I'm like, totally obsessed with big earrings."

I don't know if this is local, or if teens everywhere say it, but I'm obsessed with this trend coming to an end very soon.

No, you are not alone... we are hearing this quite a bit up here, and yes, it is annoying.

I just have to add:

- "That's FABULOUS!" - apparently everything is fabulous lately:glare:

- and I have started hearing the word "BUFF" again... as in, "That guy is totally buff!" or, "He works out all the time. That's why he is so buff and hot." (actual sentence out of a teen's mouth). ewwww.... I thought we got rid of that word a long time ago. Now my kids have started saying it - WHY????????? It is so annoying!!!!

- "On account of the fact that......" again, ewwww... Seriously :tongue_smilie:

I have to add one more! It's become fashionable for room designers (on TV -- I'm not lucky enough to see one IRL) to say, for example that the wall "really pops" because of the color or whatever. The "pops" thing is getting on my nerves.

Alley

:iagree: One of the most overused words today on TV design shows.

In reference to something that is really fantastic, "That's made of win!"

"SRSLY" when used outside of texting; for example on a message board. I understand the usefulness of contractions while texting, but really now, how hard it is to type a full word?

"That's golden." Again, in reference to something really fantastic.

This.

"This." is not a sentence. What about "This."? ...and why not just :iagree:

My 8yo says, "literally." Literally, he says it all the time.

Oh, and the dot.between.every.single.word. (Literally, I think that one is more cute than annoying...but I digress...)

:D Funny, ladies...

Here are a few:

No offense, but.....:glare: (typically followed by something offensive!)

Let's table this for later (it is SHELVE!)

I agree with the first, but for the second item, I think it refers to a parliamentary procedure where a pending question is "tabled"--I think it means to set it aside with the option to take it up in another session.

ETA: Sorry, I missed that other posters already saw this...

This is probably just me, but I can't stand the word "modernity". I heard it endlessly in college classes and can't stand it anymore. Ugh!

Edited by sgo95