Menu

My ds was in an accident last night.

He called me about 3:45am to tell me (from the accident scene.) He was coming back from his gf's college to his own and fell asleep while driving. He jumped a ditch and hit a telephone pole (I think - the details were a little sketchy to me at that hour!)

The car is totalled, but he is okay. He said the air bag burned his arm. He also said that standing there, talking to me, and looking at his car, he doesn't know how he walked away from it. I think it really, really scared him, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are 18 and don't have a firm grip on the reality of your mortality.

The consequences of his mistake (driving at 3am while tired) are no car and higher insurance rates. I don't know if he got a ticket yet because he got off the phone with me before the police were done. He's going to have to find a way to get a job so that he can replace his car - I am going to suggest a bike or even walking (his college is only a mile or two from the main commercial area of town.)

I'm glad he is okay and that he didn't hit anyone else. I told him to go back to his dorm, get some sleep, and then go to the infirmary to get checked out and get some ibuprofen. He asked why, since he felt fine. I just told him that he wouldn't feel so fine after the adrenaline wore off.;)

I am sitting here trying to decide if I should call the Dorm Manager to go check on him. I think I will wait until noon - if I don't hear from him, I'll call her and get her to go check on him.

He'll be mad, but worse would be for me to drive 1.5 hours there to check on him myself!:tongue_smilie:

I am sitting here trying to decide if I should call the Dorm Manager to go check on him. I think I will wait until noon - if I don't hear from him, I'll call her and get her to go check on him.

He'll be mad, but worse would be for me to drive 1.5 hours there to check on him myself!:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: Thank God he is ok. 1.5 hours? If it were me I would drive there and give him a hug and check on him myself. He's probably very upset over the whole thing right now.

My son messed his car up when he was 18 when he hit a palm tree. He didn't get hurt, but it taught him to be more careful. I was just so thankful that he was alright, especially after seeing the car.:sad:

That's one of the reasons I'm glad my dd doesn't have her car yet. She'll be getting it in two months. Right now I worry about her a lot. I'll worry even more then. She's in a bigger city with worst traffic than she's used to driving in. At least she is nervous about driving there and has no intention of being out in the car except between 10am and 3pm or 8pm and 9pm when the traffic is lightest.

Do you have a phone # for any of his dorm-mates? Or FB friends with any of his dorm-mates?

:grouphug: Thank God he is ok. 1.5 hours? If it were me I would drive there and give him a hug and check on him myself. He's probably very upset over the whole thing right now.

My son messed his car up when he was 18 when he hit a palm tree. He didn't get hurt, but it taught him to be more careful. I was just so thankful that he was alright, especially after seeing the car.:sad:

I just talked to him - he decided to go to the beach with the rest of the freshman anyway. He is sore and very sad, but doing okay.

He didn't get a ticket - the police officer was REALLY nice to him and told him that it's called an accident for a reason. Then he drove him to his dorm so he wouldn't have to figure out how to get there on his own. He told ds that he only gives tickets for one car accidents if there is alcohol involved.

His insurance will pay for the power pole and I helped him figure out a realistic plan for getting another car. He has a couple of friends that have said they will help him get around as they can until he gets another car.

So, he'll be stronger for it.;)

Oh, Renee, how scary!!! You have remarkable impulse control that you haven't gone to check on him. I am glad he's okay!!

I would have gone immediately if not for the other 6 and the $50 in gas to get there.:tongue_smilie:

Do you have a phone # for any of his dorm-mates? Or FB friends with any of his dorm-mates?

I'm not friends with any of them and don't have numbers, but I am going to make sure to get at least his roomates number. His college is really small, though, and they have a lot of personal service. I am pretty sure if I called the police substation there that they would make sure that someone checked on him.

But, he's on his way to the beach, so he is okay and with a bunch of other people.

:grouphug: I am so glad he is okay. My uncle died at 19 when the driver of car he was in fell asleep at the wheel driving through the mountains and hit one. My uncle went through the windshield. I never met him because he died so long before I was born (like 7 years or something like that). Thank God your ds is safe and all that happened is a totalled car. I can imagine how you must have been feeling when you got that call. I know when I heard my ds was in a car accident last month my heart was in my throat for a very long time. I still have bouts of "what ifs"

:grouphug: I'm glad he's ok. How scary.

I was that stupid when I was in college. The number of times I went off the road almost into the ditch (which was the middle of the highway) is frightening. If it wasn't for those ruts in the side of the road I would have flipped my car. College kids are not capable of common sense. Their brains are too filled with other stuff.

I'm so glad he didn't get hurt. I hope he feels ok when he wakes up later today.

:grouphug: I thought of you this morning. :grouphug:

Yes, I think a lot of us did. (((Kari)))

Renee, I'm glad you have heard from your son and that he's doing okay. From what I've heard of car accidents, tomorrow may be the day he needs that ibuprofen. I'm glad he's safe at school now, and hope he has a great semester. And may the rest of your weekend be less eventful!

Wow, you sound calm. I would have been shaking.

I am SO glad he's OK. :grouphug:

I am not calm at all, trust me. When I see pictures of his car, I will probably fall to pieces. Dh thinks ds's arm may be broken from the airbags - we're going to get him to go get checked out when he gets back to college later tonight.

I'm just glad he's okay. I keep saying that over and over.

:grouphug:s Renee, I'm so glad that he' okay. It's so scary when our kids get in accident. The first thing I remembered when elder ds had his first wreck was that he was the one calling me. What wonderful police too, not something you hear about often. Cathie

:grouphug:s Renee, I'm so glad that he' okay. It's so scary when our kids get in accident. The first thing I remembered when elder ds had his first wreck was that he was the one calling me. What wonderful police too, not something you hear about often. Cathie

The police officer really went out of his way for him. I think that I will get the officer's name and write a letter to his department about his professionalism and care.