Menu

When you meet another homeschooling mom or dad, do you

ask them if they come to this forum? Do you tell them your board name or ask them yours?

I've told people mine (or been introduced to people by my board name) but I don't ask for other people's board names. I wait to see if they will volunteer it. Often they do not.

I was just wondering this in light of the "who do you know irl" thread.

No, I don't ask. I don't want to out myself, this place is my haven. There are only a few people on here that know my real first name, I like to keep it that way. :D

:iagree:

If they want to know who I am, they'll have to figure it out. It's not that hard if you know me even a little bit.

No, I've never asked, but only because it's never crossed my mind. I already know that there are two people here I also know in real life (from my homeschool meetup group) and we do know each other's board names and have PM'd a few times here. No idea if there are others, I've never asked. It doesn't bother me either way.

I've also met people in real life because of a yahoo email list for homeschoolers in my state. When it's come up that they live somewhere near where I live, I've invited them to my meetup group, and a few have joined.

I've asked the two homeschooling parents I'm in contact with (one relative, one friend) if they go to this - or any - online forums. Neither seemed interested, so I didn't press. If they had been, I imagine I would've blurted out my username and asked for their's. But in a "just meet" situation? No, I wouldn't bring it up.

I know some really cool IRL homeschool Moms. I've told them who I am on here, and they still talk to me. ;) But, the two in particular that I've invited to drop by, aren't heavy internet users. So, I wouldn't be surprised that they have never made it "over here."

Nope. Though I do know a few people IRL who come here some.

I feel like I have the experience where I meet another homeschool parent and I'm like, ooh, cool, let's talk about homeschooling! And the other parent clearly thinks I'm a freak. :blushing:

I ain't tellin' no one nuttin'!!! Not anymore, anyway. :lol:

I don't talk to too many homeschoolers...heck, I don't talk to too many people since moving up here.... but we were visiting with a homeschooling family from our church and I asked what curriculum/books/method/whatever he was using (he was the teacher). He went absolutely ballistic on me! He was ranting about how it was nobody's business how he taught, what he taught, what books he used.... spit spraying, wild gestures....

I just kind of stepped back and wandered away to find hubby and get the hell out of there... :lol:

I ain't tellin' no one where I am. :D

we were visiting with a homeschooling family from our church and I asked what curriculum/books/method/whatever he was using (he was the teacher). He went absolutely ballistic on me! He was ranting about how it was nobody's business how he taught, what he taught, what books he used.... spit spraying, wild gestures....

Crazy!!! Can you say "defensive"? Yikes. I think your questions were totally normal/expected. That is just bizarre.

I don't tell people I'm on here or who I am. I like the privacy of anonymity.

No, I don't ask. I don't want to out myself, this place is my haven. There are only a few people on here that know my real first name, I like to keep it that way. :D

Yep, that's me. Even if I refer someone here for advice or to read a particular thread, I don't tell them who I am. One friend figured me out but I don't mind that she knows. It's those other people LOL.

No....when I've had opportunity to sit and chat with other HS'ers, I tend to keep things general, like what curriculum or interests of kids, activities or programs in the area that look interesting - I've yet to meet another HS'er in my area who is following a WTM/classical approach. I'm sure they exist, I just haven't met them!

I don't ask, but I frequently suggest people come here. If they seem at all interested in curriculum or have questions about it, I recommend this site.

I do have an acquaintance who homeschools who was telling me the other day she is switching to FLL and WWE and that they are going to try Latin this year. Then she asked if we were still using MUS for high school. I thought she sounded suspiciously like someone who had been hanging out here and I was tempted to ask but didn't. :lol:

SWB did 10 hours (or more) of sessions at our homeschooling convention in 2010 (yes I was in every one!). It has really caused a major shift in the local homeschooling community, a very needed one if you ask me. I think there are probably quite a few people I know that are here now. I think anyone who knows me could figure out who I am pretty quickly by reading my posts and I do have my state listed. I still haven't actually told or asked anyone though.

ask them if they come to this forum? Do you tell them your board name or ask them yours? .

No. None of the homeschoolers I know in real life is leaning towards a rigorous classical education. I would be extremely surprised to meet one of them here.

Because of the extremely different motivations and styles, I don't even mention what we do curriculum/philosophy wise.

ask them if they come to this forum? Do you tell them your board name or ask them yours?

I've told people mine (or been introduced to people by my board name) but I don't ask for other people's board names. I wait to see if they will volunteer it. Often they do not.

I don't ask directly, but I listen for clues and may ask leading questions :lol:

Nope.

Haa haa. I feel the SAME way.

What happens on the WTM, stays on the WTM.

Some IRL friends probably know but we don't ever discuss the internet when around each other. It just doesn't come up. I frequently meet local people who read my blog though. That weirds me out a bit. They know me better than I know them.

:iagree:Although, I thoroughly enjoyed purposely meeting up with a board member and her lovely family in real life and there are "friends" on here that I would get on a plane (funds permitting) to meet IRL.:D

Obviously if I saw someone such as Mrs Mungo who posts her photo, I might say something, but I've never asked...Then again, I've never suspected anyone was on here. Like one hsing mom I know doesn't use the internet ever. I have a lack of hsing moms in my life.

No. I like to be able to post and not feel like someone I know IRL is reading details about me I may not want them to know.

I try not to post to much personal information anyway, but I still prefer to keep things private. If I want someone IRL to know something, I will tell them. I don't want it being read by them on a forum.

Sometimes I will mention "my boards", but unless they ask for more info, I don't offer anything else up.

I used to think it would be nice for some of the homeschoolers I know to post here, and then the HS group I was in imploded. I was very thankful that I had a place where I did not have to "see" the people who were literately making my real life h#$*.

Even though all that drama is long gone...I still like this to be my little HS haven!

I haven't met any other homeschoolers who follow WTM, which is shocking since I'm in a heavy homeschool state. I'm grateful to have found these boards and the WTM books. It's exactly the education I felt I missed and my children were missing in PS. So, if I bump into any of you IRL, please excuse me if I trip over myself in excitement. It can be a bit lonely.