Menu

Update on my dd's allergic reaction

Hi everyone. I just wanted to start a new thread to give an update. I called first thing this morning and got Anna an appointment with the allergist for Friday. This morning Anna started out with pretty bad GI distress. She has had diarrhea all day. This afternoon she broke out in hives which got really bad by 7pm. I called the pediatrician. We decided to try hard not to give her Benadryl because that could prevent her from having allergy testing on Friday. She got in a cool bath and then I covered her in Calamine, but the hives got worse. By 8 she started complaining of racing heart, chest heaviness, and itchy throat. I broke out the Benadryl, and when I gave it to her, I noticed the inside of her mouth was swollen. So we called 911. We spent 3 hours in the hospital, received horrible care that I won't even get in to, and got an rx for an Epipen. So we are now home and equipped to deal with this...whatever it is.

I hope and pray I NEVER have to call 911 for any of my children again. It was a surreal and crazy experience. Anna handled it like a champ. Emma freaked out. Cora couldn't wait to see all the firemen and the firetruck, but she was disappointed because only the EMS came. The whole way to the hospital, I was thinking about how Anna could have died. She could have DIED! I don't know what I would do without my babies. I am in a daze right now. I am shaken to the core, but so thankful to God that my girl is okay.

:grouphug:

The good news is you noticed the swelling before things got worse and got her prompt medical help. Do not let yourself play the what if's in your head, or focus on the fact she could have died, focus on the fact she is okay and you now have the epipens. OF course that is easier said than done, I still get hit with the what ifs, and the the thoughts ds could have died in that car accident. There is something about calling 911 that makes me even more shaken during an emergency. WHile I know they are there to help, for me it's that feeling of helplessness. That there is nothing you can do on your own to protect your child in that moment, you have to put that into the hands of another. It is a very surreal experience for sure.

Edited by swellmomma

We rode there in an ambulance, and the put us in the WAITING ROOM! It was beyond ridiculous. I really wanted to slap the RN and the PA. They took her vital signs once, and then I had to ask for them to be taken again, two hours later. Seriously. Idiots. We will never set foot in that hospital again. They acted like the whole thing was no big deal because "she looks great!" Of course she looks better after having meds, goofball. They talked to me like I was an idiot. I finally looked at one of them and told him that I'm a nurse. That surprised him, I guess, since I haven't had a shower today and look like something the cat drug in. And the PA told me Anna wouldn't have any more problems before her appointment on Friday. I guess he thought he was psychic or something. I was pretty unhappy, and they knew it. I didn't hold anything back. I am planning to file a formal complaint. Oh, I said I wasn't getting into all this, huh? LOL! I'll stop now before I make myself furious again.

We honestly have no idea what she could be allergic to. She has never had any allergic reactions before. We have gone through every thing she has been in contact with and still can't figure it out. Here is the original thread from yesterday.

As of now we are still planning to have allergy testing on Friday. That seems so far away. :(

Edited by Nakia

Oh before I forget, have her tested for Mono as well as allergies. When I had mono everytime I was physically active at all I broke out in hives, and swelled right up. I ended up in the ER getting adrenaline shots two nights in a row because of this. In the end I did not have allergies I had mono and the hives/swelling etc was a reaction. I couldn't tell you if I had GI issues from it as I have IBS so I always have GI issues. Just a thought if her allergy testing doesn't show a clear cut severe allergy OR if you end up back in the ER between now and Friday. I don't know how I had caught mono, I had not been kissing anyone for nearly a year at that point etc. So it is not just from kissing

Oh before I forget, have her tested for Mono as well as allergies. When I had mono everytime I was physically active at all I broke out in hives, and swelled right up. I ended up in the ER getting adrenaline shots two nights in a row because of this. In the end I did not have allergies I had mono and the hives/swelling etc was a reaction. I couldn't tell you if I had GI issues from it as I have IBS so I always have GI issues. Just a thought if her allergy testing doesn't show a clear cut severe allergy OR if you end up back in the ER between now and Friday.

My middle dd had mono about 4 weeks ago...very interesting!

My middle dd had mono about 4 weeks ago...very interesting!

I would definitely get her tested then. You never know and it would heap a huge relief on you knowing she was not facing a life threatening allergy for now on.

ETA: at first the ER nurses/DR's thought I was allergic to shellfish because I had been eating my favorite snack, crab meat on a toasted croissant with mayo. My GP was the one who figured out it was mono, because I was eating imitation crab meat, not the real thing. On a hunch he ordered the test and viola, no allergy just mono. It took me a long time to get over it, nearly a year, but I am so glad it was not a major allergy like we first thought.

Edited by swellmomma

Nakia, just out of curiosity, has she had a series of antibiotics in the last few months?

I had an experience not long ago with something similar is why I ask.

I did a ten day course of Ciprofloxin which totally and completely whacked me out and left me with allergic reactions to about everything in the universe.

I am so sorry about the distress during the visit. Try to get some rest ..real rest..so you can do the charting and observation for the allergist.

Ya, I know, you'll be sleepless and checking on her every five seconds as well as sleeping on her floor and having nightmares when you do nod off..but do try.

I missed your original thread so I'm off to read it.

I'm, sadly, not surprised the ER handled it so poorly. Many times ER docs mishandle anaphylaxis. I'm (happily) surprised they gave you an epi prescription. I'm glad for that.

The body can keep reacting after an exposure. My son has needed steroids to stop that cycle.

I went to read the thread. The allergist should be able to do blood testing with the benadryl. I hope he/she will. Big, huge, hugs to you. I know this is scary. Thinking--how many hours was the second reaction post first? Any medications recently?

Edited by sbgrace

So sorry, Nakia!

I've been there, done that. Molly started launching into hives over her chest, back of neck, scalp, and face a few months ago. Two trips to the ER for swelling throat and tongue, etc. The hives would tend to appear late at night, waking her up. I washed her bedding, bought a new pillow and mattress pad, scrubbed her room, nothing helped. We kept food diaries, watched her like a hawk, tried to think of ANYTHING that changed in her environment or diet and came up with nothing. She even had a couple of bouts of internal hives which are scary-- severe cramping and diarrhea (which makes me think of what your dd was experiencing yesterday) and pale, clammy skin. Dr. later said those are internal hives, on the epithelial tissue that lines her GI tract.

Called the allergist, held her off the benadryl and had her tested for over 100 substances/allergens. NOTHING reacted. NOTHING. She is allergic to NOTHING. Disappointed, in a way, because if we could at least pin it on a cause. So the next thing Dr. did was blood work, testing for Lyme and a variety of autoimmune disorders.

Turns out she's missing a protein enzyme that makes her immune system attack itself. She's probably been like this since birth, but has NEVER had any sort of reaction before. It may be triggered by stress, but it may just be haywire and do its own thing. Dr. said that she could continue like this indefinitely or it could be gone in six months, they just. don't. know.

Knock on wood, she's been hive-free for a month or so, so we're hoping she's coming out of it. She's on a maintenance dose of Zyrtec to try and head off any reactions before they go full-blown. Nothing to do but treat the symptoms.

Anyway, that's our hive story-- I"m sure hoping your dd is feeling better soon. Hives, especially the internal ones, are NO. FUN.

Sending love and hugs,

astrid

I'll keep you all in my prayers. I know how scary that is from being a school nurse. I can't imagine being the mom. Yes, march in and tell them you are an RN. It does wake them up a little. I noticed at the hospital they have it written across my chart. ?? I guess we have to take every advantage we can with our kids. The allergist should be able to sort this out. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Yikes Nakia! Swollen mouth, 911, a ride in an ambulance, and horrible ER care....girl, you need a rest after all that! I'm glad your DD is okay. I'm sure that Friday cannot come soon enough for you.

Can you just quit feeding her until then? ;) Okay, okay, you can't (but I'd seriously want to!).

Hi everyone. I just wanted to start a new thread to give an update. I called first thing this morning and got Anna an appointment with the allergist for Friday. This morning Anna started out with pretty bad GI distress. She has had diarrhea all day. This afternoon she broke out in hives which got really bad by 7pm. I called the pediatrician. We decided to try hard not to give her Benadryl because that could prevent her from having allergy testing on Friday. She got in a cool bath and then I covered her in Calamine, but the hives got worse. By 8 she started complaining of racing heart, chest heaviness, and itchy throat. I broke out the Benadryl, and when I gave it to her, I noticed the inside of her mouth was swollen. So we called 911. We spent 3 hours in the hospital, received horrible care that I won't even get in to, and got an rx for an Epipen. So we are now home and equipped to deal with this...whatever it is.

I hope and pray I NEVER have to call 911 for any of my children again. It was a surreal and crazy experience. Anna handled it like a champ. Emma freaked out. Cora couldn't wait to see all the firemen and the firetruck, but she was disappointed because only the EMS came. The whole way to the hospital, I was thinking about how Anna could have died. She could have DIED! I don't know what I would do without my babies. I am in a daze right now. I am shaken to the core, but so thankful to God that my girl is okay.

I am so sorry! I am glad things are a bit more stable.

I'll be praying for no more episodes and answers from the allergy testing!

I would definitely get her tested then. You never know and it would heap a huge relief on you knowing she was not facing a life threatening allergy for now on.

ETA: at first the ER nurses/DR's thought I was allergic to shellfish because I had been eating my favorite snack, crab meat on a toasted croissant with mayo. My GP was the one who figured out it was mono, because I was eating imitation crab meat, not the real thing. On a hunch he ordered the test and viola, no allergy just mono. It took me a long time to get over it, nearly a year, but I am so glad it was not a major allergy like we first thought.

Just so people reading this know, imitation crab can be made with flavoring from real crab, either the actual crab or by extracting flavoring from the shells.

If someone has a true allergy to shellfish, avoid imitation crab.

Glad that you are home and resting. Our son has secondary reactions about 6 hours after the initial one. But, when he did go into hives coming and going and spreading and giving us one horrible week from he!!, there was nothing we could do but wait it out. My ER visit with him back then sounds a lot like yours, except I was not a nurse. The staff thought it was no big deal at all that these hives were popping up and swelling him up horribly (even parts of him were looking quite disfigured!)... just sent me home, telling me to wait it out and it's a horrible feeling, I know.

So, not only are there initial reactions (I have learned to not try to evaluate those too much and use the epi pen, cause I err on the side of "this doesn't seem too bad, then it escalates fast and it's too late!), we have the secondary reactions about 6 hours later (not as bad if the epi pen is used), then a couple times in his life (he is now 18), hives for days on end....

:grouphug: and lots of prayers for you and your days ahead with your girls!

:grouphug:What did she eat that day? I would still be suspicious of food allergies. Our allergist said anything more than hives requires epinephrine. Both reactions you described requires epinephrine which I would not hesitate to use. I also know that an RN friend has a son who is allergic to milk with anaphylaxis reactions whose skin test became negative even though he was still allergic.

IMHO I would consider avoiding whatever food she ate on both days until she sees an allergist.

:grouphug: I was thinking and wondering about her and was sorry to hear the update was a scary one. Friday needs to come a bit faster this week. I sure as heck am hoping it IS mono instead of an allergy!

When you see the allergist, ask for RAST testing and not just skin testing. You will get more accurate results. http://foodallergies.about.com/od/diagnosingfoodallergies/p/rasttestprofile.htm

Edited by Alyeska

Thanks everyone, for your prayers, concerns, the private messages, etc. It means so much to me. I don't really have any friends IRL with food allergy kids, and if that's what we're dealing with, I'm going to need all the help I can get from you all.

The only food/drink she had both days was milk, so needless to say, we are staying away from dairy until we see the allergist. I am actually going to keep her off all the high allergy foods until then. She has really bad diarrhea, so she doesn't feel like eating anyway.

The allergy appt has been postponed until Monday, unfortunately. I hate that, but with her receiving so much Benadryl last night, we just can't take the chance of getting a false negative on anything. We will just have to watch her like a hawk until then.

I would like to ask for you all to pray specifically for Anna to not have anymore reactions, that we find out what is causing the reactions, and for peace in our home. I feel like we are in a whirlwind right now. I am on high alert constantly. She is scared too. God bless her.

Edited by Nakia

Thanks everyone, for your prayers, concerns, the private messages, etc. It means so much to me. I don't really have any friends IRL with food allergy kids, and if that's what we're dealing with, I'm going to need all the help I can get from you all.

The only food/drink she had both days was milk, so needless to say, we are staying away from dairy until we see the allergist. I am actually going to keep her off all the hive allergy foods until then. She has really bad diarrhea, so she doesn't feel like eating anyway.

The allergy appt has been postponed until Monday, unfortunately. I hate that, but with her receiving so much Benadryl last night, we just can't take the chance of getting a false negative on anything. We will just have to watch her like a hawk until then.

I would like to ask for you all to pray specifically for Anna to not have anymore reactions, that we find out what is causing the reactions, and for peace in our home. I feel like we are in a whirlwind right now. I am on high alert constantly. She is scared too. God bless her.

:grouphug:You could try rice milk and other rice products possibly in the meantime such as gluten free stuff just to be safe.

The only food/drink she had both days was milk, so needless to say, we are staying away from dairy until we see the allergist. I am actually going to keep her off all the high allergy foods until then. She has really bad diarrhea, so she doesn't feel like eating anyway.

Can you get the mono test earlier or is that affected by Benedryl also? You might be able to get your gp to just order the blood draw.

Praying in Jesus' name.

We rode there in an ambulance, and the put us in the WAITING ROOM! It was beyond ridiculous. I really wanted to slap the RN and the PA. They took her vital signs once, and then I had to ask for them to be taken again, two hours later. Seriously. Idiots. We will never set foot in that hospital again. They acted like the whole thing was no big deal because "she looks great!" Of course she looks better after having meds, goofball. They talked to me like I was an idiot. I finally looked at one of them and told him that I'm a nurse. That surprised him, I guess, since I haven't had a shower today and look like something the cat drug in. And the PA told me Anna wouldn't have any more problems before her appointment on Friday. I guess he thought he was psychic or something. I was pretty unhappy, and they knew it. I didn't hold anything back. I am planning to file a formal complaint. Oh, I said I wasn't getting into all this, huh? LOL! I'll stop now before I make myself furious again.

We honestly have no idea what she could be allergic to. She has never had any allergic reactions before. We have gone through every thing she has been in contact with and still can't figure it out. Here is the original thread from yesterday.

As of now we are still planning to have allergy testing on Friday. That seems so far away. :(

I'm sorry. :grouphug: I missed the original thread.

After my hideous experiences with the ER and my allergy I've come to the conclusion that unless one is actually in full blown anaphylaxis it isn't an emergency and one need not bother the ER because they could care less. The last ER doctor I saw flat out told me that since my airway wasn't compromised I wasn't truly an emergency. What was easy to read between the lines was, go home until your airway is closing. They they will give some medications.

I'm glad you got an epi-pen though. That will give you a lot of reassurance.

Sure thing. I really hope finding her trigger is an easy process.

Hugs and prayers, Nakia. Hope you get answers soon.

This may have been said, but this page on FAAN's site has some good info.

My last round of tests showed negative blood tests but positive skin tests (they are very sensitive but some allergies cause symptoms in only in the gut). Due to my history and the way the allergist interpreted the results, she said to stay off the foods that my skin test and history were positive for even when the blood test was negative.

After my hideous experiences with the ER and my allergy I've come to the conclusion that unless one is actually in full blown anaphylaxis it isn't an emergency and one need not bother the ER because they could care less. The last ER doctor I saw flat out told me that since my airway wasn't compromised I wasn't truly an emergency. What was easy to read between the lines was, go home until your airway is closing. They they will give some medications.

At our local ER, the EMT and nurse were taking action but getting frustrated with the doctor during my anaphylactic reaction. The doctor was taking his sweet time trying to figure out if I really was struggling to breathe or not. The people surrounding him (my dh and other staff) were ready to give him some breathing problems.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I thought you only had to be off antihistamines for 48 hours before an allergy test?

Depends on the drug, I think. But it's been a year since our last round of tests, so I could be wrong, but I think one of the drugs took longer to clear.

We rode there in an ambulance, and the put us in the WAITING ROOM!

That's astounding. I had an allergic reaction where my tongue and lips were swelling, and as soon as dh and I got to the ER and said what was going on, they rushed me in ahead of everyone. An allergic reaction is nothing to mess with. I'd stay far away from that hospital too!

Glad Anna is okay! :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I thought you only had to be off antihistamines for 48 hours before an allergy test?

When we did the allergy testing, DS had had a very severe reaction on a Sunday night and we got scheduled into the allergist on Thursday morning. The allergist said it *might* be too soon due to the antihistamines we administered on Sunday night...so he did a histamine challenge before moving forward with the full panel test - that was negative, so he said the drugs had cleared DS's system and the test should be valid. It was.

My allergist requested 4 days if it was at all possible.

At our local ER, the EMT and nurse were taking action but getting frustrated with the doctor during my anaphylactic reaction. The doctor was taking his sweet time trying to figure out if I really was struggling to breathe or not. The people surrounding him (my dh and other staff) were ready to give him some breathing problems.

Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Hi there! I'm a mom of a very allergic child, dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, garlic, white potato, peas, barley, chickpeas, I could go on and on.

I'm sorry you have had such a scary experience. :grouphug:

We had an experience like this when my DS was 9 months old. We had an epi pen, but the 911 operator instructed me not to use it. The paramedics blew us off, but took him in on my insistence. They gave him three doses of benadryl and a dose of steroids before his eyes unswelled enough to open them. :(

The follow up with the allergist was two days later, and she said next time give him the epi pen, and don't listen to anyone else. Allergies are still relatively new, and there are lots of medical professionals who aren't completely educated on the subject. I've heard of kids needing the epi pen, and by the time the paramedics get there, they are fine, and they think the parents are crazy. Hello, that's what the epi is for!

As for your DD, I would recommend just giving her very bland, and low allergenic things until Friday. Rice, plain chicken, pears, apples, etc. The good thing is you have an epi pen, but i'm sure you don't want to use it.

I would also recommend a skin test and a rast (well, most places use the immunocap now) so you can compare notes between the two. The allergy tests are estimated to be 50% accurate, so having two tests to compare is helpful, especially in the beginning stages when you are figuring it all out.

Kidswithfoodallergies.org is an excellent resource. There are lots of forums, and recipes, as well as advice on how to keep you FA kid safe.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I've been doing this song and dance for almost 5 years. :)

ETA: our allergist only requires 48 hours of no antihistamines as well.

Edited by Runningmom80