Menu

What were YOU fed as a baby?

When my first child was just under a week old he did not sleep really well so dh's grandmother said "It's time to start on orange juice!". We (dh and I) were :001_huh:. My mil said we should put cereal in his bottle. :confused:

Obviously to us he was a week old, brand new baby. I just figured that's how it goes sometimes. We did neither of course but what the heck? Can you imagine what OJ would do to a babies tummy?? When we asked her if she really gave my mil OJ as an infant she said of course! :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sisters and I (born 1978-1988) were all breastfed for a year. DH's baby book records that he was first fed rice cereal at 6 weeks and who knows what else after that. I was mildly horrified upon discovering that, but I guess rice cereal sure beats canned milk mixed with corn syrup!!!

I was born in "63. My mom tired to nurse me in the hospital, had no help or support and was told by the doc that she "could not" nurse me. :glare: So I went on formula then baby food, rice cereal, etc. I grew up with all sorts of allergies and have asthma, etc.

My kids were all nursed and thankfully none of them seem to have inherited my asthma or allergies! :D

Edited by jelbe5

My mother nursed all of us for between 9 months and a year, and then switched to whole milk. We were started on solids at about 4 months or so, but no baby foods--my mom, like me, had a baby food grinder.:001_smile: but I have to laugh at all the ladies who are horrified at canned milk and corn syrup; what do you think is in formulas? :lol:

Similac, for instance, has these ingredients:D Nonfat Milk, Lactose, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Less than 2% of: C. Cohnii Oil, M. Alpina Oil, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Bitartrate, Magnesium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Taurine, M-Inositol, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, L-Carnitine, Mixed Tocopherols, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin and Nucleotides (Adenosine5 -Monophosphate, Cytidine 5-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5-Monophosphate)

Enfamil GentleEase Lipil contains: Corn syrup solids, partially hydrolyzed nonfat milk and whey protein concentrate solids (soy), vegetable oil (palm olein, soy, coconut, and high oleic sunflower oils), and less than 2%: Mortierella alpina oil,# Crypthecodinium cohnii oil,** vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, vitamin E acetate, vitamin K1, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin B12, niacinamide, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, biotin, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, inositol, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, potassium chloride, sodium selenite, taurine, L-carnitine.

ETA: just want to say that my twins were bottle fed, so this is not a slam on FF moms; I just think the outrage is pretty funny.

Edited by Caitilin

The potatoes were to make it so you could go for longer between feedings. My aunt recommended rice cereal. You know... whatever you need to do for sleep. Anyway...

Lack of sleep can be a very serious thingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ the first week that our newbie was home, I was throwing up and seeing things because I wasn't sleeping hardly at all. I didn't add anything to his bottles, but after that experience.. I can understand why someone may (believing it to be safe, as other generations have done it and some docs still suggest it) try those things.

I am pretty sure I was fed warm milk in a bottle. I was adopted so I know I wasn't breastfed.

My father said something about formula being a new concept back then, and by 9 months old we lived in Africa where it wouldn't have been available then anyway.

Dawn

My mother nursed all of us for between 9 months and a year, and then switched to whole milk. We were started on solids at about 4 months or so, but no baby foods--my mom, like me, had a baby food grinder.:001_smile: but I have to laugh at all the ladies who are horrified at canned milk and corn syrup; what do you think is in formulas? :lol:

Similac, for instance, has these ingredients:D Nonfat Milk, Lactose, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Less than 2% of: C. Cohnii Oil, M. Alpina Oil, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Bitartrate, Magnesium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Taurine, M-Inositol, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, L-Carnitine, Mixed Tocopherols, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin and Nucleotides (Adenosine5 -Monophosphate, Cytidine 5-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5-Monophosphate)

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a bottle versus boobs argument. ;) Moms who use formula (hi!) make their choices for their own reasons (which are nobody else's business unless they choose to share) and are capable of reading the ingredient lists on the cans.

Breastmilk for a year, then transitioned to table food. My mother was also nursed (her mother would have seen it solely as a matter of being practical / economical, I'm pretty sure). Dh, on the other hand, was given pineapple at 10 days old and meat at 6 weeks. :eek:

but I have to laugh at all the ladies who are horrified at canned milk and corn syrup; what do you think is in formulas? :lol:

)

I don't see corn syrup listed in the ingredients of formula. Regardless, According to this, Similac has 2.5 g of sugar per serving of formula. Contrasted with Carnation sweetened condensed milk which has 166 g sugar per cup, or 20 g sugar per fluid ounce.

Sweetened condensed milk is made by boiling away the water and adding a giant proportion of sugar. I just don't think this is an ideal baby food.

Anyway - when I expressed shock at that (and told her that the current recommendation is no cows milk until one year old - at which SHE was shocked) she then told me that she and her four sisters were raised on canned milk as babies! (she was born in '53 and is the 2nd oldest of four)

I have no idea what I was fed as a baby. I know my mom breastfed, but she also told me that she wasn't able to bf exclusively after about 3 months--for any of her 5 kids. She just ran out of milk.

My sil was born in the mid-50's and mil wasn't able to bf her--no milk. Mil was advised to feed sil a formula made of equal parts cow's milk, corn syrup, and water. Sil was a colicky baby, but they realized many years later it was probably lactose intolerance. Dh and both his sisters have it, though neither of their parents did.

I don't see corn syrup listed in the ingredients of formula. Regardless, According to this, Similac has 2.5 g of sugar per serving of formula. Contrasted with Carnation sweetened condensed milk which has 166 g sugar per cup, or 20 g sugar per fluid ounce.

Sweetened condensed milk is made by boiling away the water and adding a giant proportion of sugar. I just don't think this is an ideal baby food.

Are you suggesting that the canned milk/corn syrup formulas were made using sweetened condensed milk? My mother fed us the above formula made with evaporated milk, and my understanding is that that was the standard.

My mother's family breastfed as standard, but even though she attempted to BF all 5 of us, she never made it past 3 weeks (supply/latch issues). Back in 1959, when I was born, the doctors were definitely not in favor of BFing, as others have mentioned. Three of mother's sisters breastfed their 23 collective children through the late 50's, 60's and early 70's.

My mother fed me canned milk and corn syrup. It didn't sit well, so she tried goat's milk, but that was too hard to find and she didn't think it tasted good, so she used milk and rice cereal in the bottle. She said I had colic and needed solid foods to get rid of it, so she started feeding me rice cereal (on a spoon!) at 2 months. She fed my brother store bought formula.

My grandma and mother were not pleased when I was going to nurse my babies. When they found out that I was going to nurse, my grandmother was horrified that I would "do that to her grandson", and my mother was shocked, but cautiously and hesitatingly said, "well, a lot of women do that these days, so I guess it's all right as long as the doctor gives his permission."

I thought their arguments against nursing were funny when they tried their best to convince me to change my mind. It's hard to believe that they actually believed the reasons they had been told that nursing was bad. They told me that they could pay for formula if I couldn't afford it because it is so much better for the baby, and only women who are extremely poor nurse, and their babies will suffer because of it. They didn't want people to think I was poor. (Uh, no, we could afford formula, but I didn't want to use it because nursing is healthier for the baby, and I doubt anyone would think I was poor because I nurse, and I don't care if they do.) They told me that nursing would give the baby every illness and allergy I have ever had so the baby will be sick all the time. (No, the baby gets help for his immune system by nursing.) They told me nursing is inconvenient and bottle feeding is much easier. (What? I don't have to buy, wash and sterilize bottles, don't have to buy formula, don't have to carry it around, and I can nurse anytime and almost anywhere, immediately. Much more convenient than bottle feeding.) They were very concerned because they were certain that my baby would be underweight because there is no way I would be able to know how many ounces he is drinking at each feeding. They thought it was essential to know exactly how many ounces he drinks. ( I don't need to know. He will nurse until he is full, then stop. The number of ounces he is drinking is not important.) They finally accepted that I would not change my mind. My mother eventually admitted that nursing was probably easier and since my babies were healthy, it was okay for the baby. My grandmother never really accepted my decision, thought it was inappropriate and it bothered her and she didn't want her friends to find out, but she never tried to change my mind again. She still loved her grandchildren to pieces, even though I "did that" (she couldn't bring herself to use the name). Ha Ha

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a bottle versus boobs argument. ;) Moms who use formula (hi!) make their choices for their own reasons (which are nobody else's business unless they choose to share) and are capable of reading the ingredient lists on the cans.

Did you not read the rest of her post?

I know my grandmother fed her babies sweetened condensed milk.....not evaporated milk.

Are you suggesting that the canned milk/corn syrup formulas were made using sweetened condensed milk? My mother fed us the above formula made with evaporated milk, and my understanding is that that was the standard.

I was born in 1969 -- my mother tells me it was standard practice to make a formula w/ evaporated milk, corn syrup, and water.

I had tummy troubles so she switched me to homogenized milk at SIX WEEKS OLD. :001_huh: (evidently mine weren't lactose issues!) Anyway - when I expressed shock at that (and told her that the current recommendation is no cows milk until one year old - at which SHE was shocked) she then told me that she and her four sisters were raised on canned milk as babies! (she was born in '53 and is the 2nd oldest of four)

Generation really changes things. in the 50's and well into the 60's, canned milk was seen as superior to breastfeeding. in '57 my sister was put on soy milk because she didn't tolerate the cow's milk. i still read about people putting rice cereal into their six-week old babies bottles. (even though recommendations are do not introduce solids until four - six months)

I don't know what I was fed, something based on cow's milk, just not bf. My mil started giving 1dd canned milk with added sugar when she was taking care of her (it was good enough for her kids. yeah, so were no seatbelts . . . .) - mil does what she wants, so it meant I had to keep dd away from her. I had a good formula on hand for when it was a non-breatmilk feeding.

My mother nursed me for a few months before switching me to Carnation sweetened condensed milk diluted with water (and I was born in 1980, so we're not talking the old days here). I seem to have turned out okay, thank goodness! ha ha :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Actually, some infant formulas are made with corn syrup as the primary carbohydrate source. I'm too lazy to look them up right now, but I've been reading up on formulas and ingredients since we have a little one due in October.

Edited by Pretty in Pink

I had breastmilk.

MY mom was given evaporated milk with corn syrup. :svengo:

Same here, well after 10 months I was on formula for 2 months, since my Mom had to wean me because she was pregnant with my sister. I know she didn't actually have to wean me, but considering it was the late 70s I think she did fairly well. She also tandem nursed my twin brother and sister for 13 months.

I believe we started with basic baby cereal and homemade baby food around 6 months. My Mom was apparently following the 2000s recommendations even back in the late 70s.

Home-made formula... I know it had Karo syrup and evaporated milk in it, but I'm not sure what else..

She refused to cut the nipple and put cereal in the bottle, which she was told to do all the time to make us sleep better.

(Posting tentatively, as I fear this will go the way of "those bad formula-feeding parents!"... it always seems to... :glare:)

:001_huh: Doesn't breastmilk have a HIGHER fat percentage than whole milk?

And anyway, babies are SUPPOSED TO BE FAT!!!!!! (Unless there's a genetic reason or something else medical going on.) Sorry for the yelling, but it makes me sad when I hear people worry that their little babies will get fat. They're growing! Their nervous systems need fat!

*takes a deep breath and climbs down from soap box*

ETA: I'm not arguing with the poster I quoted, if it seems like that. I thought I was also quoting the poster she was responding to.

I was breastfed until I was 15 months old. My mother usually weaned at about 10-11 months, but she knew that I'd be facing surgery shortly after I turned one and she wanted to be able to nurse me for comfort.

This was 1973. And no, my mother was not a hippie AT ALL. :lol:

I had such severe allergies that my father had to pick up special formula at the pharmacy for me every night for 6 months. I could eat no wheat, milk, corn, rice, beans, or fruits. I ate communion wafers and potatoes for a while.

When I was two, my sister and mom were eating at an ice cream parlor and I had my communion wafers. The waitress said a blessing over my head and the next day at the doctors' office I was allowed to start trying some of those foods and could! I love milk still.

My grandma and mother were not pleased when I was going to nurse my babies. When they found out that I was going to nurse, my grandmother was horrified that I would "do that to her grandson", and my mother was shocked, but cautiously and hesitatingly said, "well, a lot of women do that these days, so I guess it's all right as long as the doctor gives his permission."

I thought their arguments against nursing were funny when they tried their best to convince me to change my mind. It's hard to believe that they actually believed the reasons they had been told that nursing was bad. They told me that they could pay for formula if I couldn't afford it because it is so much better for the baby, and only women who are extremely poor nurse, and their babies will suffer because of it. They didn't want people to think I was poor. (Uh, no, we could afford formula, but I didn't want to use it because nursing is healthier for the baby, and I doubt anyone would think I was poor because I nurse, and I don't care if they do.) They told me that nursing would give the baby every illness and allergy I have ever had so the baby will be sick all the time. (No, the baby gets help for his immune system by nursing.) They told me nursing is inconvenient and bottle feeding is much easier. (What? I don't have to buy, wash and sterilize bottles, don't have to buy formula, don't have to carry it around, and I can nurse anytime and almost anywhere, immediately. Much more convenient than bottle feeding.) They were very concerned because they were certain that my baby would be underweight because there is no way I would be able to know how many ounces he is drinking at each feeding. They thought it was essential to know exactly how many ounces he drinks. ( I don't need to know. He will nurse until he is full, then stop. The number of ounces he is drinking is not important.) They finally accepted that I would not change my mind. My mother eventually admitted that nursing was probably easier and since my babies were healthy, it was okay for the baby. My grandmother never really accepted my decision, thought it was inappropriate and it bothered her and she didn't want her friends to find out, but she never tried to change my mind again. She still loved her grandchildren to pieces, even though I "did that" (she couldn't bring herself to use the name). Ha Ha

Wow! And I thought dh's grandma was off-base when she kept telling me that our first dd was spitting up because my milk was too rich for her! :lol:

ETA: Actually, some infant formulas are made with corn syrup as the primary carbohydrate source. I'm too lazy to look them up right now, but I've been reading up on formulas and ingredients since we have a little one due in October.

The one that we have to use right now is made that way - it's the Similac Sensitive Lactose-Free. There's actually only two lactose-free formulas available here and they both have that in them.

Our little guy is coming right along though - healthy and gaining, bright eyed and energetic. :D

edit: whatever the fuss about corn syrup is, i'm glad that this lactose-free formula exists.. it made a HUGE difference for him.

Edited by LidiyaDawn

I was breastfed to 9 mo. and my younger sisters were formula fed because they were c-sectioned under general anesthesia and were twins...mom had enough on her plate without trying to establish a milk supply under those conditions!

Milk, Money, and Madness is a good read on the history of the formula industry. Existing formulas are basically refinements of the old condensed milk, karo syrup, and vitamins formula.

Human milk has more sugar (in the form of lactose) than cow's, hence the need to add sugar.

Depending on what stores a baby had and how quickly their gut matures, it is certainly possible for them to survive or even thrive on the old formulas, but they're far from ideal and babies who didn't take so well to them mostly aren't around as adults to complain about it. The store bought formulas are a LOT better and at times necessary, so I really scratch my head at people who reject them in favor of super early solids or homemade formulas.

My SIL started feeding her DD cereal in her bottle at like 3 mos. I've learned not to argue; people will do what they're going to do. Trying to come up with a tactful way to tell DW#2 not to prop a bottle for DS ever again, though. I do understand why she did it; it took her 45 min. to get him to sleep and he won't take a paci so she couldn't swap the bottle out for one. Off to explain how it's not the same as falling asleep at the breast...

I love you all so much, I dug my baby book out of a box in the basement. My mom saved all kinds of notes, including the formula recipe given to her by the doctor at birth:

12 oz. can Pet Evaporated milk

10 oz. water

2 oz. Karo syrup

The doctor had her change the recipe 2 weeks later:

13 oz. Pet milk

13 oz. water

1 T. Karo syrup

This recipe was written on a pamphlet that included instructions for sterilizing the formula by boiling it for "EXACTLY 25 MINUTES BY THE CLOCK". There were also instructions for scrubbing hands, clipping nails, measuring accurately, bottle prep, and a reminder to "wear a clean apron, and cover your nose and mouth with a soft cloth if you have a cold" before feeding the baby.

In addition, Mom was instructed to give me 1 tsp. oatmeal "juice" (?), one egg yolk (RAW, you suppose??!) and 2 tsp. rice formula each day starting at a week old.

My poor mom. That pamphlet would've scared the tar out of me, it was so complicated.

I was born in '77 and she said it wasn't very common then either.

Maybe not where y'all lived, but in my neck of the woods (So Cal) everyone I knew nursed their babies, for at least a few months. My first baby was born in 1975. Yes, I'm old. :D

I was having severe allergic reactions to foods through breastmilk, so they tried me on soy formula and goat's milk. It was just as bad with both of those and out of desperation my mom tried Carnation dried milk powder, as she's heard through word of mouth of moms in similar situations having success with it. I know it sounds like a nutritionally horrifying solution but I was covered in exzema in high summer temps in California so she did what she had to do.

It turns out she was right on target--I can tolerate some milk products but those that are high in butterfat like homemade ice cream or whipping cream are the most likely of all to trigger asthma and really bad sinus congestion.

Too bad no one suggested that she watch her own diet. :-/

Remember, the way cows were housed, their health, and their milk product were all different back then. I would expect that the milk was much healthier and free of various antibiotics, etc. that could cause allergic reactions in babies. It's not the milk itself that causes problems for most folks, I think, it's the superfluous stuff in the milk....

I believe that I was given cow's milk pretty early on, too.

I was born in '77 and she said it wasn't very common then either.

Maybe not where y'all lived, but in my neck of the woods (So Cal) everyone I knew nursed their babies, for at least a few months. My first baby was born in 1975. Yes, I'm old. :D

A small town in eastern CanadaĂ¢â‚¬Â¦about as far as you can get from California without getting very wet. :p

My mom was given a shot when I was born to "dry up her milk". It was given without her consent. I was given formula but became very sick so my mom switched me to soy formula. I was always a sickly baby. As an adult, I'm allergic to corn, soy, wheat and tree nuts. I bet that is probably why I was so sick as a child. After the formula, I was fed table food.

I know my mom tried to breastfeed (this was '79) but she never produced enough milk (per what she says anyway - and back then they wouldn't have encouraged her). So I believe I was put on formula within a few months. She also mentioned putting baby cereal in the bottle to fill me up and get me to sleep through the night.

I don't know at what point I started solids, but I'm sure I was pretty little.

My Mom couldn't nurse me so in the 70's she fed me canned evaporated milk w/ water & karo syrup. Rice cereal in the bottle at 6 weeks.

When my now 12 yo was having problems digesting formula, she made it for him too :eek: I wanted to vomit but he actually liked it. He would up being on 1/2 formula & 1/2 whole milk mixed together.

AnywayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦do you know what YOU were given as a baby?

My mother wanted to breastfeed me, but the doctor said it wasn't worth it since she had to go back to work (as a nurse).

So, I was bottle fed, but I despised milk and she had to spend a long time at each feeding coaxing me to eat anything. When I had my first juice (in a cup, at 4 months), I refused to take another bottle. I ended up on baby food/table food plus water and juice from a cup at 4 months. Not at all what would be recommended now (or even then, probably), but I managed okay.

Since two of mine had trouble with milk (one who got an asthma attack the first time he drank milk, one who cried continuously and got severe diarrhea if I ate any milk products while she was breastfeeding), the reason she had so much trouble getting me to drink milk was probably some kind of milk allergy/sensitivity. However, in the late 1960s soy formula was only given to babies with obvious allergic symptoms--breathing trouble, rash, etc.