Menu

How do you grate cheese politely?

How do you serve grated cheese politely?  

1. 1. How do you serve grated cheese politely?

• Whole piece of cheese held in bare hand at table
    • Whole piece of cheese wrapped in some way for grating at table
    • Cheese grated at table in 'hands-off' grater
    • Cheese grated in advance and served with spoon
    • Other

Also, I must confess, that when I read the title, I was thinking...hmm...does she mean how to cut the cheese politely :confused:. With all the bOOks and teA abounding on this forum, one can never tell. :lol:

:lol: That's good. I wonder if I can get my family to start using grate the cheese...

You still have to touch the cheese to put it in the grater.

You don't touch it at the table though :lol:

No one wants to see you eat, use a napkin, blah blah and then handle the cheese. We assume that you will wash your hands before reloading the grater, LOL.

I think we need a book on table manners!:D

Edit: There are cheese cloths too for the harder cheeses. You set those with a hand-held mini grater on a block of bamboo (moisture thing).

I have one like this for parmesan at the table ... http://www.amazon.com/Enrico-1006-Cheese-Grater-Bamboo/dp/B001HBIO1I/ref=pd_sbs_k_6

Edited by ChrissySC

Depends on what type of cheese :) But cheddar is fine when you grate and then have in a bowl with service something... (tongs?) Parmesan seems fine either way, but I can see grating it at the table... I'm not sure "gross" is what I'd think... now... when I see someone tasting the food out of the pot before serving it... that's gross to me.

I don't mind seeing my host touch the food in some way. I figure she has had her hands in it all afternoon, preparing it. But I'm earthy like that.

However, I voted served at the table with a spoon because that's the way I do it. For me, it's just easier with the dishes of so many little ones to prepare.

I'm not sure "gross" is what I'd think... now... when I see someone tasting the food out of the pot before serving it... that's gross to me.

:confused: Don't all real cooks taste their food before serving it? Why is that gross? I use a fresh spoon just for tasting, and if I adjust and need to taste again I wash it.

Also, I must confess, that when I read the title, I was thinking...hmm...does she mean how to cut the cheese politely :confused:. With all the bOOks and teA abounding on this forum, one can never tell. :lol:

That is totally what I thought!!! I thought, "the one cheek sneak"?

I voted "cheese grated in advance" but none of these sound particularly offensive to me.

I wasn't aware there was an icky way to grate cheese :D

Ditto. But if guests would prefer to have food with the illusion of being untouched by human hands - what? divine intervention? - then served in a bowl, pre-grated would be the way to go.

I think we need a book on table manners!:D

Or maybe just the understanding that we're each picturing the scenario differently.

My assumption was that the hostess, with clean hands, grated cheese over a dish before the dinner began.

My assumption was that the hostess, with clean hands, grated cheese over a dish before the dinner began.

That's what I was thinking too. If The cheese was passed from one person to the next, I think I'd opt out of the cheese. Especially if certain relatives were at the table. :ack2:

If I felt the need to grate at the table, I would use my pampered chef rotary thingie that is hands off.

But, I almost always let my food processor grate for me ahead of time. So quick and easy. ;)

:iagree:

It would not occur to me to grate cheese at the table. Just because restaurants do it does not mean that it should be done, KWIM?

In my Italian-American family it was always served in a hunk with the grater. That was the case whether only family was being served, or family and friends. I never thought that method was icky or impolite. So, if any of you ever come to my house when I'm serving Italian, I'll be sure to grate the cheese before serving. :001_smile:

And Mrs. Mungo, I do the clean spoon tasting thing too. Tasting is the only way to really know if you got the seasonings right. But I do use a clean spoon and wash it before tasting again.

In my Italian-American family it was always served in a hunk with the grater. That was the case whether only family was being served, or family and friends. I never thought that method was icky or impolite. So, if any of you ever come to my house when I'm serving Italian, I'll be sure to grate the cheese before serving. :001_smile:

It wouldn't bother me. My family is not Italian, and I've never visited any, so I did not know it was common to grate cheese at the table anywhere except restaurants. :001_smile:

In my Italian-American family it was always served in a hunk with the grater. That was the case whether only family was being served, or family and friends. I never thought that method was icky or impolite.

When I was small we spent our summers in France. My parents were impressed by French style - which seemed very exotic to Brits in the '60s. We used French manners at home; for example we ate with our forearms on the table (not elbows, but forearms) which was the norm in France but considered rude in Britain. I think we passed cheese from person to person to grate because that was the continental European habit.

Laura

Some of the clumsier among us would prefer that pre-grated option no matter what. Visions of bloody knuckles or a flying cheese grater hitting the hostess in the head would cause us to mumble "no thank you" even when we really, really want some fresh cheese :D

I think we passed cheese from person to person to grate because that was the continental European habit.

:blink:

On what kinds of food did y'all grate the cheese individually? Pastas?

I can tell you that in Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina, there would never have been a meal that included people grating cheese over their own food.