Menu

Raising Funds for Homeschooling?

Do you do anything creative to raise money for your homeschool?

Do you feel tacky asking relatives to donate?

Do you use any typical "group" type fundraising programs without the group? Is that even possible? (like flowers, knives, cookbooks, etc.)

It just seems that this should be ok if it is ok for ps. Heck, it is ok for ps to forcibly remove your money.

I think on this every year, especially around this time. Now on my mind because of Box Tops issue detailed in an email I received from CLA

http://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/hla/viewOnlineEmail.jsp?emailId=638a010185db040cf125421906d6ea3f6m846073638

Lakota

Years ago before we homeschooled, our hs group did a fundraiser painting house numbers on people's curbs for the ease of emergency people finding their homes. They charged $5 for each number they did, but also made a small contribution to the public library out of what they raised.

I don't see why it can't be done.

Years ago before we homeschooled, our hs group did a fundraiser painting house numbers on people's curbs for the ease of emergency people finding their homes. They charged $5 for each number they did, but also made a small contribution to the public library out of what they raised.

I don't see why it can't be done.

I love this. A few stencils and some paint. What kid wouldn't enjoy this project? We just might try this :)

If you mean for a homeschool group, to help with funding major events or some such, then I would have no problem taking part in something like that. But if you mean for my personal family homeschool, no, I would never fundraise for our family. That would seem... odd, to me.

That said, if my kids wanted to set up an entrepreneurial endeavour to raise funds for something, I would encourage and support them with that because I think it would be a fabulous educational opportunity in and of itself. But I'd likely require a charity component as well, and it would have to be something much more involved than simply asking people for funds.

I would not be comfortable asking people to fund our homeschool or even doing a typical "fundraising" project for it. However, I do not think it is odd to set up a little business of sorts to help fund a homeschool. All of my sewing and ebay money go towards ours. My dh was also looking at a vending machine route/business someone was selling. We thought it would be something the kids could do --with our help, of course. It would not only earn some money to offset homeschool costs, but it would also teach them about running a business.

:) Beachy

My kids are in public school, and every time a fundraiser comes up, I think longingly of the year we home schooled. I avoid as many fundraisers as I can by just donating the equivalent amount of money to the school. ($ goal of fundraiser divided by # of kids in school * number of MY kids in school = check)

I would rather work extra hours at my job than participate in a fundraiser. I loathe them.

I think that would strike people as different. I know that the schools do it, but I don't think you'd get much response. In my neighborhood, we're considered extremely odd for homeschooling, and I can't imagine how the neighbors would react if mine showed up selling wrapping paper.

You'd do better anyway starting a business. Selling wrapping paper doesn't really make much at all.

I have no problem asking relatives to donate, at least not the grandparents. In our case, they're thrilled to help, especially if it's something we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

I agree with other posters -- I think starting a small business would be better than fundraisers.

No way. If we choose to homeschool, we choose to pay for it. (Of course, I don't agree with fundraising for sports trips and the like.) We do fundraising for charities, but that's it.

There are tax implications to "fundraising" for your homeschool. You are liable for taxes on the money, and you'd need to be honest with people about the fact that they could not deduct the amount as a charitable contribution. I have seen a few local homeschool groups do fundraisers, and I have avoided them because they never take any of this into consideration (as well as the bad image I think it gives -- "they don't want to use our schools, and now they want us to pay for their stuff?")

I've found that the best way to have more money is to spend less money. I'd first look for ways I could save money around my own home to put towards homeschooling before I'd ask others to support it for me.

If you do want to start a tiny kid "store," you might try getting your kids involved with making something for a farmer's market. My niece made 1K for a Haitian charity by selling baked goods and homemade bookmarks. She's 9.

You could do something like that, and say 25% or so would be donated to a charity. People like buying from kids, and like giving to charity, and I've found people at farmers' markets seem to be open to ideas like that.

Go for a no-cost market where you can just set up a table with a pretty checked cloth and some chairs. Have your kids make a poster of something related to the charity (I think my niece found and printed pictures of the Haitian disaster and put some facts around the poster). You can wrap baked good cheaply on paper plates with plastic wrap and ribbon, all from the Dollar Store. I don't think you need a food license for something like that. (But check.)

I never would have thought anybody attempts this. I had to ponder it for a minute before replying.

Students at "outside schools" have no choice about fundraising, other than non-compliance. I'll omit my sour remarks about why fundraising becomes necessary for those schools.

Homeschooling is a choice made by parents to enjoy greater independence from . . . well, from whatever fits the individual family. I don't think that asking other people to assist monetarily with my family's choice to educate our children ourselves is right. If anybody were to offer, with no strings attached, I would discuss it with them, I guess.

In a broader context, I consider homeschooling a "personal income management" decision, influenced by a family's set of values. Similar to: Organic food versus agribusiness food. Alternative medicine versus Big-Pharm. Off-the-grid living versus on-grid. Etc.

Edited by Orthodox6

I would not be comfortable asking people to fund our homeschool or even doing a typical "fundraising" project for it. However, I do not think it is odd to set up a little business of sorts to help fund a homeschool. All of my sewing and ebay money go towards ours. My dh was also looking at a vending machine route/business someone was selling. We thought it would be something the kids could do --with our help, of course. It would not only earn some money to offset homeschool costs, but it would also teach them about running a business.

:) Beachy

:iagree:

I hinted to my mom this past week that I had never asked her to pay for wrapping paper or candles or whatever they sell at school. I said I may auction up the kids art work or videos of their music to all the grandparents to raise funds for school. Highest bidder gets something from the grandkids :lol:

She did not offer me any school supply money so I guess at this point I shouldn't expect any :tongue_smilie:

If you do want to start a tiny kid "store," you might try getting your kids involved with making something for a farmer's market. My niece made 1K for a Haitian charity by selling baked goods and homemade bookmarks. She's 9.

You could do something like that, and say 25% or so would be donated to a charity. People like buying from kids, and like giving to charity, and I've found people at farmers' markets seem to be open to ideas like that.

Go for a no-cost market where you can just set up a table with a pretty checked cloth and some chairs. Have your kids make a poster of something related to the charity (I think my niece found and printed pictures of the Haitian disaster and put some facts around the poster). You can wrap baked good cheaply on paper plates with plastic wrap and ribbon, all from the Dollar Store. I don't think you need a food license for something like that. (But check.)

Are you suggesting keeping the other 75% for homeschooling?

Yeah - I think fundraising in the sense I believe your asking would be,,,, um,,, odd I guess. I would feel very uncomfortable.

But like the others - selling things on ebay, sewing for money, etc., even the kids starting their own little business (I have no ideas or help there.....) - all of those are legitimate.

I think if you have a skill or product that people actually want and will use - it will come off as a real service rather than a "buy our candy/wrapping paper/cookie dough" that you don't really want to buy type of thing.

No way. If we choose to homeschool, we choose to pay for it. (Of course, I don't agree with fundraising for sports trips and the like.) We do fundraising for charities, but that's it.

There are tax implications to "fundraising" for your homeschool. You are liable for taxes on the money, and you'd need to be honest with people about the fact that they could not deduct the amount as a charitable contribution. I have seen a few local homeschool groups do fundraisers, and I have avoided them because they never take any of this into consideration (as well as the bad image I think it gives -- "they don't want to use our schools, and now they want us to pay for their stuff?")

I've found that the best way to have more money is to spend less money. I'd first look for ways I could save money around my own home to put towards homeschooling before I'd ask others to support it for me.

I have no problem with kids doing jobs to earn money if they are doing work. I would not ask for $$ for homeschooling though. I would just call it a sale or a job.

However, I LOATHE fundraisers where a $1 box of cookies is $4. I hate popcorn sales every year for scouts.

I would much rather cut costs in other areas or sell things on ebay or have a yard sale.

DaWn

I am with the crowd that loathes fundraisers after many years of having my arms twisted by the ps.

It feels as if everytime I answer the phone, open my mailbox or in-box, or drive up to a corner someone has their hand out. Finding something entrepreneurial to do is a much better way to convey the "difference of homeschooling".

I'm another who wouldn't dream of asking family for money for homeschooling. If some catastrophe happened and I couldn't feed my kids, then I'd ask for help with groceries, but not until then! However, when grandparents ask for Christmas gift ideas, I do suggest a family membership to the zoo or children's museum, etc. Or kids' magazine subscriptions. Something that enhances our learning and doesn't add to the mountain of toys I'm trying to weed through.

I agree with the previous posters that it's my children, my choice, and my responsibility.

I'm another who wouldn't dream of asking family for money for homeschooling. If some catastrophe happened and I couldn't feed my kids, then I'd ask for help with groceries, but not until then! However, when grandparents ask for Christmas gift ideas, I do suggest a family membership to the zoo or children's museum, etc. Or kids' magazine subscriptions. Something that enhances our learning and doesn't add to the mountain of toys I'm trying to weed through.

This is what I've done over the years; asked for zoo memberships & such from the grandparents. So I guess Christmas is a homeschool fundraiser. :)

We've been in a couple of homeschool activities that have done fundraising, but we've never participated. I hate being asked to buy over-priced wrapping paper, so why would I try to sell it to others?

Since everyone is so against this, I will tell the OP that I seriously considered doing some type of fundraiser to benefit our homeschool years ago but never followed through. I did not realize that there might be tax implications, but I personally don't see anything wrong with the idea in general.

I have not asked family to pay for homeschool things, but MIL has offered and paid for some math things for us.

Selling last years curriculum to pay for this years curriculum is my usual "fundraising". I buy used as much as possible which also saves some money.

Nobody in my family pays for anything we do for homeschooling.

Same here! Except that I've gladly received contributions from close family members who wanted to take part in covering the cost of books for the upcoming year. (I'm fortunate to be in a situation where relatives are very supportive of our decision to homeschool.) This amount has ranged from $100-250 per year, and is usually given for a specific subject's books, i.e. "Here, this is to go toward (dd)'s math books this year". But the biggest fundraising has come in selling our used curriculum. I feel good about it too because it helps us, and it helps the buyer save money as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you mean for a homeschool group, to help with funding major events or some such, then I would have no problem taking part in something like that. But if you mean for my personal family homeschool, no, I would never fundraise for our family. That would seem... odd, to me.

Yeah, I mean just for your own personal family school. I know it sounds tacky, feels tacky, but why? That's what I puzzle over. Even I would feel like a bit of a beggar doing it, but why? The public schools don't even bother to ask-or I mean the govt. robbing you on behalf of the public schools. So theft is ok for them, but asking nicely is taboo for us-that's the ethical paradox here.

That said, if my kids wanted to set up an entrepreneurial endeavour to raise funds for something, I would encourage and support them with that because I think it would be a fabulous educational opportunity in and of itself. But I'd likely require a charity component as well, and it would have to be something much more involved than simply asking people for funds.

See, that's what I mean by saying we hs are made to feel like we are creeps unless we have the kids asking for money and then giving it to a "charity". Supporting the education of our future leaders is not enough-we have to tell people we're also giving some to the local homeless shelter?

Lakota

I think responding to some of your claims would violate the political discussion rules.

Wouldn't getting a part time or short term job take care of homeschool costs? That seems more reasonable than asking for funds.

When my dc were in ps, most families did not participate in fund raising.

I dislike fundraising. Ds was in private school for 2 years, he was too young to ask others on his own, so it all fell to us. Where everyone else we knew was doing the same fundraiser. :001_huh:

If I wasn't against fundraisers in general I don't know if I'd want my kid out selling typical fundraiser materials. I don't know why, really. I can see bulk candy bars selling well.

My parents have done something every year to support homeschooling. Some years it has been to write a check. This year my dad gifted me with several books I picked out when Borders was going out of business.

Part of the mentality may be that if I do fundraising I might be releasing some of the control I feel. Maybe they would feel like they bought into my school and have the right to tell me how to school. Just speculation.

Personally I think that asking family, friends or strangers for money for my homeschool needs is tacky. I choose to homeschool, so I need to pay for it. I use what we get back at income tax time to pay for all of our supplies and curriculum. But I also buy things throughout the year that we may need. Public schools do fundraisers because they aren't budgeting their money well. We do. So no, I would never, ever ask anyone for money.

Here's my situation, for background purposes.

We are below the poverty line and are about to run out of money. I have tried reselling curriculum, but the market is slow these days, I guess, because I'm not getting many nibbles. I normally do that and buy used. Also, we try to budget wisely and don't have much in the way of luxury spending-unless you count the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper (awful, I know!).

No tv, cable, iphones, not even caller id on my landline. The kids' clothes are hand-me-downs and yard sale. So, we're doing all the things mentioned. I help with our market garden, but so far, that is not profitable. Still, it uses up time that I suppose would be better spent on a profitable business endeavour. So maybe the issue is not having found a profitable business endeavor that fits my interests?

I have asked my sisters to help a year or two ago by sending links to stuff online around Christmas time. I think one of them bought one book. Sometimes my artsy sister buys them art stuff, which is great, and I am appreciative. My MIL bought us a globe two years ago, which they promptly tore up (It was one of those cheaper Wal-mart ones-we've been through two so far $&^*#@#!)

So I am at a frustrating crossroads here, where food expenses are too high (about $400/month for family of five-we have allergies) and it may come down to food or homschooling...and I don't wanna choose! WAH!:crying:

Any suggestions?

What about a Facebook fundraiser? I like the auctioning off the kids art and music idea, maybe something like that? Trying to be creative and quick (running out of time here).

Lakota

If I were in your situation,, I would use all free curriculum available online. You can print out everything you need and keep it in 3 ring binders. A lot of the things I use now is free actually.

This is all entirely free curriculum that is awesome. Most better than what you would pay for.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109114

If I were in your situation,, I would use all free curriculum available online. You can print out everything you need and keep it in 3 ring binders. A lot of the things I use now is free actually.

This is all entirely free curriculum that is awesome. Most better than what you would pay for.

I would (and do!) use free curriculum before asking for $ from friends/family.

I am also trying to figure out a business endeavor I can take on - but we have $0 start up money for anything at this time.

But until such time as I have a real homeschooling budget, we use as much stuff free as I can find. The library is a huge help. And we do pretty good between Paperback Swap and local used book stores for things we actually want to own.

You could also look into Samaritan's Purse (I think that's what it's called) ETA looks like I was too slow, the person above provided the link for the Book Samaritan. :) - they help provide homeschool curriculum to people who can't afford it. Someone else might be able to give you a link.

Here's my situation, for background purposes.

We are below the poverty line and are about to run out of money. I have tried reselling curriculum, but the market is slow these days, I guess, because I'm not getting many nibbles. I normally do that and buy used. Also, we try to budget wisely and don't have much in the way of luxury spending-unless you count the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper (awful, I know!).

No tv, cable, iphones, not even caller id on my landline. The kids' clothes are hand-me-downs and yard sale. So, we're doing all the things mentioned. I help with our market garden, but so far, that is not profitable. Still, it uses up time that I suppose would be better spent on a profitable business endeavour. So maybe the issue is not having found a profitable business endeavor that fits my interests?

I have asked my sisters to help a year or two ago by sending links to stuff online around Christmas time. I think one of them bought one book. Sometimes my artsy sister buys them art stuff, which is great, and I am appreciative. My MIL bought us a globe two years ago, which they promptly tore up (It was one of those cheaper Wal-mart ones-we've been through two so far $&^*#@#!)

So I am at a frustrating crossroads here, where food expenses are too high (about $400/month for family of five-we have allergies) and it may come down to food or homschooling...and I don't wanna choose! WAH!:crying:

Any suggestions?

What about a Facebook fundraiser? I like the auctioning off the kids art and music idea, maybe something like that? Trying to be creative and quick (running out of time here).

Lakota

We too are very very very low on income. Honestly, this wouldn't be my first choice to raise money, but I would say... You Gotta Do, Whatcha Gotta do! Go for it and don't feel guilty!

:iagree: Completely. I use a lot of free resources and exclusively used Ambleside Online for 2 years without purchasing a thing. I think anyone that takes the time to actually utilize the free resources available on the internet could gain a wonderful education without spending a dime. Twenty years ago, you wouldn't be able to take courses at MIT unless you attended. Look what you can do now: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Yeah, I mean just for your own personal family school. I know it sounds tacky, feels tacky, but why? That's what I puzzle over. Even I would feel like a bit of a beggar doing it, but why? The public schools don't even bother to ask-or I mean the govt. robbing you on behalf of the public schools. So theft is ok for them, but asking nicely is taboo for us-that's the ethical paradox here.
Well, I don't believe the government is robbing me on behalf of public schools, and we are happy to support our local schools through our taxes even if we don't personally use them. This viewpoint has nothing at all to do with my thought about fundraising for my family, so I'm not sure what else to say to that.
See, that's what I mean by saying we hs are made to feel like we are creeps unless we have the kids asking for money and then giving it to a "charity". Supporting the education of our future leaders is not enough-we have to tell people we're also giving some to the local homeless shelter?

Actually, I have no problem with my kids earning money through their work and not telling people about the charity component; I wouldn't feel like a creep at all. We just happen to have a viewpoint that it is important for our kids to approach money in terms of saving, spending and sharing, so that's why I said I would include a charity component for them. Part of this is age specific, as my kids are quite young and therefore I'd be helping them a great deal with something like this right now. If they were older and completely running their own show, it might be approached differently. Though I would still hope they keep up the same approach, to an extent at least.

These are just my opinions for my family. I have nothing against anyone else doing a fundraiser for such a thing, and depending on the approach I may or may not support the efforts. After all, people ask for money for mission trips and such that amount to little more than youth vacations, so this doesn't seem so different than that to me.

I do think there are lots of ways to approach homeschooling that don't cost a lot of money. There's so much available out there for free these days! Certainly I believe it's possible to homeschool for less than it would cost to send my kids to public school, which is certainly not without expense.

Any suggestions?

Lakota

I second what everyone else has said. My only issue with free online books is the printing. My dh has been underemployed for over a year, I've slashed our budget to bare bones. Sometimes you have the weigh the value of "free" if you end up needing to print a lot to make it work.

Book Samaritan would be my next option. I'd also pare down what I was using. We're fortunate that I was able to build up a stash of supplies over the last few years. Thrift stores have been a real benefit to us.

I would also get creative in what you're using. Perhaps you could tell us what subjects you need material and we could scout for you.

ETA: Looking at the ages of your dc, I would focus the bulk of expense on your 14 year old (high school? I'm assuming) and then use more freebies, etc for the younger two.

Edited by elegantlion

Online "freebies" that end up with high printing costs definitely are a deterrent! I use my Kindle -- a one-time investment (unless it croaks) -- for no-cost, public domain texts. It also supports PDF files which, I suppose, encompasses some of the free educational materials available.

Online "freebies" that end up with high printing costs definitely are a deterrent! I use my Kindle -- a one-time investment (unless it croaks) -- for no-cost, public domain texts. It also supports PDF files which, I suppose, encompasses some of the free educational materials available.

Yes, printing does get to be a pain in the butt. But there are ways around that too. Don't use a lot of worksheets. Write things out and read off of the computer. Might be a PITA, but it's cheap.

And now is the time to get cheap paper. You can find reams of paper for free or next to free this time of the year. Math can be done by copying problems off of a computer onto either paper or a white board. (Again, buy dry erase markers now while they are super cheap.)

I do print our math, but I use the fast-draft setting in B&W to save on ink. (And double sided to save on paper!). And I only print the pages I need, the lesson plans I read off the computer. One full year's worth of MEP (what we use) would only cost about a quarter for paper (when bought on sale for a $1/ream). The ink would be a little bit more, but I'd say only a couple bucks really, as it doesn't really take up that much. So maybe $5 for math for the year, is pretty good. Not free, but very cheap.

Just giving options. I know what it means to do homeschooling on $0 budget. Honestly, I do. We have absolutely $0 income right now. We are living off our savings (and food stamps :blushing:). We are making do with the school supplies we already have (luckily we managed to over buy last year) and I'm slowly collecting the books I want to use from PBS and used book stores in town (using credits we got from trading in books we no longer wanted). Anything that will only be used once will be got from the library or just not used.

Any suggestions?

Lakota

I would put the kids in ps and get a job. (Meaning, that's what I would do) How can kids learn if they are hungry? Or at least look for part time employment.

:grouphug:

I completely understand what you are getting at here. My sister was the president of her dd's PTA last year. What a year! I wasn't just asked about fundraisers every other week, I was pressured to participate. It was expected that I would buy candles, wrapping paper, candy, and cookies, as well as attend spaghetti dinners that seemed to take place about once a month. I always got the story line about how I didn't care about other people's kids if I wouldn't just give a little.

I am a single Mom. My kids and I live with my parents and survive on a bit of child support. I really struggle to buy homeschool curriculum every year. Early last spring, I reached the point that I finally couldn't take it anymore. When my sister hit me up for another fundraiser, I smiled at her and politely asked her to contribute towards my children's curriculum. I really enjoyed watching the emotions on her face change from shock, to anger, to confusion, etc.

She brought up all the same reasons not to contribute that have been listed here. (It was my decision and she shouldn't have to support it, the public school would lend me books for free, etc.) I brought up quite a few of the reasons she should contribute. She started to ask some serious questions and I think she would have actually contributed. I finally laughed and told her I didn't actually want her to give me money. I just wanted her to see how this felt from my point of view. It was quite the learning experience. She hasn't asked me to participate in a school fundraiser since then.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with asking family to help out with homeschool expenses. My parents help me regularly. We couldn't make it without them. God has really humbled me through my years as a single parent, and I have learned a few things the hard way. The hardest lesson I have learned is to ask for help when I need it. I still struggle with that. But, nobody is going to be able to help you if they don't know there is a need. In your position, I would ask with a humble heart, without getting my hopes up, and see what happens.

Yes, printing does get to be a pain in the butt. But there are ways around that too. Don't use a lot of worksheets. Write things out and read off of the computer. Might be a PITA, but it's cheap.

And now is the time to get cheap paper. You can find reams of paper for free or next to free this time of the year. Math can be done by copying problems off of a computer onto either paper or a white board. (Again, buy dry erase markers now while they are super cheap.)

I do print our math, but I use the fast-draft setting in B&W to save on ink. (And double sided to save on paper!). And I only print the pages I need, the lesson plans I read off the computer. One full year's worth of MEP (what we use) would only cost about a quarter for paper (when bought on sale for a $1/ream). The ink would be a little bit more, but I'd say only a couple bucks really, as it doesn't really take up that much. So maybe $5 for math for the year, is pretty good. Not free, but very cheap.

Just giving options. I know what it means to do homeschooling on $0 budget. Honestly, I do. We have absolutely $0 income right now. We are living off our savings (and food stamps :blushing:). We are making do with the school supplies we already have (luckily we managed to over buy last year) and I'm slowly collecting the books I want to use from PBS and used book stores in town (using credits we got from trading in books we no longer wanted). Anything that will only be used once will be got from the library or just not used.

Yes, I also ONLY print everything on fast draft printing. I also refill my print cartridges myself using this ink.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D7VRKE

It has lasted me a year, seriously. I'm sure that someone can come up with 15 bucks for a one time thing. Walmart multipurpose paper is also REALLY cheap! I use duplex printing and use both sides of paper also. There are ways to make printing costs dirt cheap.

Any suggestions?

Lakota

Hugs. I am sorry your family is facing this situation. I would be grasping at any straw I could think of too. :grouphug:

If it truly comes down to food or homeschooling, not wanting to choose doesn't mean the choice doesn't exist. You have to feed your family. Public school may not be the very best choice, and may not be the choice you want to make, but it is still a choice. We pay taxes to support the schools, whether you want to use them or not, so that that all children can have access to an education. Even if it's not the very best education, still it's an education. Because your children have access to an education that you're choosing to opt out of, I don't believe that trying to fundraise for your homeschool (in the sense that you're soliciting donations or selling overpriced items so that the extra $ will go to your school) is appropriate. Please understand, I support your desire and right to homeschool, so I'm not trying to be unkind. I'm just not sure that a school-style fundraiser is the way to go.

I do think if your family is supportive of your efforts to homeschool, it's ok to ask for their help with books and supplies. (I also think that it's ok to ask for a grocery gift card.) I would be happy to help my family with homeschooling or food if they needed my help. And it sounds like you're exploring your options for making money *and* continuing to homeschool. What about in-home child care? After-school tutoring or child care? Part-time evening work so that you can be home with your children during the day? Lawn care? (Your high schooler could help with some of this.) Sounds like you are pursuing home business opportunities so that may pan out if you are able to get something up and running. Get the word out with fellow homeschoolers...I know many families who are willing to go a little out of their way to give business to fellow homeschool families for pet-sitting, produce, lawn care, handmade items, etc. in order to help another homeschooler.

:grouphug:

Cat

I consider homeschooling a personal choice and our family responsible for financing it- I would not feel comfortable askinga nybody else to contribute. I work 25 -30 hours per week.

Still, it uses up time that I suppose would be better spent on a profitable business endeavour. So maybe the issue is not having found a profitable business endeavor that fits my interests?

Not just your interests - you also need to think about your qualifications. What CAN you do? How much time woudl you be able to spend working?

Would you be able to work outside the home?

Is you are trying to work from home, different friends of mine do the following:

translations

web design

grahic design

language lessons

instrument lessons

tutoring

babysitting

sewing

birth preparation courses

pet sitting

What is your area of expertise?

Edited by regentrude

Having spent the year 2010 unemployed, Hubby and I struggled with the option of me going to work.

Truthfully, I applied EVERYWHERE, and NOBODY was interested in a gal that for the last 12 years has been a sahm. The local video store put a help wanted sign in our neighborhood and had OVER 500 applications. for part time.

Putting the kids in PS would have (to me) been the worst thing I could do-- based on our experience with our local PS and my kids' needs. So it was a very difficult situation. Yes, we would have done it if it were our only option, but I really struggled with that possibility.

I totally understand your situation!

My kids tried to start a pooper-scooper business, but after sending out 200+ fliars, and telling everyone they know... they had 0 customers. What feedback we got was that people are doing it themselves to save money. (and our kids were super-cheap on prices, so it wasn't a price thing either).

My oldest son tried to mow lawns to make himself some money, but nobody could afford. He was willing to do as low as $10-15 a yard (front and back), including weedeating and edging, using OUR equipment. And nobody wanted it.

I tried ebay and etsy, but after fees and time, I lost money.

I'd love more ideas. Hubby is not making near what he used to and we are still tight. Paying close attention to this thread.

Are you suggesting keeping the other 75% for homeschooling?

Yes, of course.

You make it sound like I'm suggesting robbing a charity.

I'm simply saying make it clear to customers that 25% (or whatever amt) of the profits from the business goes to the charity.

Think Ben and Jerry's. :D

One thing I do is online surveys and I use swagbucks. I use all my points for Amazon gift cards.

I wouldn't ask for money for school, from family, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to suggest Amazon GC's or art supplies.

I haven't read all of the replies, but what about a charter school? It would be a bit of a compromise (state testing, turning in samples, meeting with your assigned teacher every so often). There are two charter schools I am considering in my area. They give $900/yr or $1600/yr respectively toward curriculum. As long as I do not buy "religious" curriculum with their $ (state $) my choices are pretty wide open. I will be using EPGY for LAW & Math, Song School Latin, Explode the Code Online, Headsprout, IXL, and HWT to name a few. Plus, I can use those funds for computers, school supplies, and skill lessons like guitar, piano, martial arts, ice skating, or dance. :001_smile:

What about the kids getting chickens and selling eggs? (Mine are doing that for the first time this year.)

Our home school co-op uses the Box Tops for Education for group-collective equipment - it's been a pretty good thing for us, I know.

I would have a REALLY hard time asking family or ANYONE for home schooling $, but my kids are currently "fund-raising" for a new swing set, and DH and I gave them permission to offer their "services" to their Grammy and Grandpa. (Grammy hires them to pick up sticks her her yard, LOL. Like $5 max, but the kids are learning the slow-but-sure lesson.)

DH just passed the 1-year-mark of unemployment, and - we have been hurting, too. :grouphug: I know it is so hard.