Menu

Never been so upset to get good news...

I've been struggling for months with a slew of miserable symptoms including very irregular periods, weight gain that will not budge no matter how little/what I eat, severe PMS, greasy hair/skin + breakouts, total exhaustion (I'm usually a night owl and I can't stay awake for anything in the evenings.), etc...

All my friends have insisted that I get my thyroid checked and I put it off for months, but after a particularly miserable week, I bit the bullet and made an appointment. My OB/Midwife's office was concerned about a number of things so they drew 5 tubes of blood and tested me for a slew of issues including thyroid problems, hormonal imbalance, PCOS, anemia, etc...

I just got the call that there is absolutely nothing wrong with me... physically. Apparently I'm just profoundly depressed... and since I've obviously made up all of these symptoms in my head, completely insane as well. :001_unsure:

On one hand I totally dreaded the idea of being on Synthroid for the rest of my life, but on the other, knowing that whatever is wrong cannot be fixed with one little pill is upsetting.

I feel like such an idiot that I don't even know myself well enough to know what's real and what's made up in my head.

I talked to my mom about it and her sage advice was "The question is whether your marriage is making you depressed or whether you being depressed is messing up your marriage." Great. Now I have that on my shoulders too. She ended the conversations by suggesting that it would be good for me and the kids if they went to school. :sad: (She was not trying to discourage me at all.... She was just worrying about me and trying to love me in her own way... but, ouch.)

I've been depressed in the past and during those times, I was secluded and things around the house fell apart. Right now, I'm keeping up with everything and adding to our schedule... outings, swim lessons, picnics... The laundry is done, the meals are cooked the organizational stuff is getting plowed through, curriculum is ordered, charts are checked off and I'm still working with the music team at church on an active basis, plus I added voice lessons for myself which start on Wednesday. So what is this? "Walking Depression"?

*If you wouldn't mind not quoting as I may feel the need to erase this after today?

My dh had a bunch of weird symptoms, one of which was exhaustion. Our family doc told him there was nothing wrong and he was nuts. He had lyme, and now he's going good again. Just a thought.

:iagree:

Also, food allergies. I actually had every single symptom on your list, I felt much better after my elimination diet. You feel worse for the first week, then a lot better!

There are a lot of weird things it could be, your doctor does not know everything, there are a bunch of weird possibilities. :grouphug:

I don't know about the depression; perhaps someone else will speak to that, but I will say that a so-called normal thyroid reading is often not normal at all.

Can you get a copy of the results and seek a second opinion? A good endocrinologist is worth his or her weight in gold because a good endo considers more than just a lab report.

Your symptoms certainly indicate something.

I can't agree with this more! My thyroid reading was find supposedly, TSH was 3.39, in the normal range. But I knew something was wrong! I finally got in to see a new doc that is more homeopathic and specializes in hormone and thyroid issues. They put me on NatureThroid and my TSH is now 1.9 and I feel WORLDS better.

I would get to an endocrinologist with your lab results. You won't have to redo them, but get in to see someone who knows this stuff. It sounds to me either hormonal or thyroid related, and depression is a symptom of both!

Hugs for you! The PA at my doctor's was telling me the 30's is a tough time for women. (I was wondering which decade isn't tough, but depression and periods are big here)

I just had bloodwork done last week for fatigue, pms that is too long, and similar symptoms to what you said. I was soo pleased that I had a Vit D deficiency b/c I didn't want to face the possibility that I might be depressed. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks, but I'm feeling a lot like you. Is it "walking depression"! I love that. I wonder that too b/c i'm still doing so much; just inside I feel sad and lonely. But my body is showing it a little, kind oflike yours. You're not alone. Chin up, and i hope you can find a way to feel better.

I didn't quote you by pushing the button, but this part caught my attention:

"since I've obviously made up all of these symptoms in my head". I truly hope that you don't feel this way!

The physical symptoms of depression are quite real. They are no less real or true or irritating just because they stem from depression.

Three years ago I had an MRI and a slew of other medical tests. Wanna know what the root cause was of my headaches, sleeplessness, inability to take a deep breath,etc. ? Anxiety due to grief. We had a death in the family and instead of taking the time to grieve I jumped right back into life thinking,"THIS is how I will deal with it!", but instead I just got 'stuck' in that phase of the process.

:grouphug: It's not all in your head. Those physical symptoms are REAL and dealing with the depression can very likely mitigate the symptoms and their hold on you.

I suggest getting a copy of the blood tests and do some research online about thyroid levels. I went to one dr. he said they were normal, I went to another and they said they were borderline. Put me on an allergy elimination diet...and within a months time I felt better. Had all the above symptoms that you listed. Now 5 months later my thyroid levels are completely normal and I am back to normal as well. I am allergic to wheat.

Lynda

I've been struggling for months with a slew of miserable symptoms including very irregular periods, weight gain that will not budge no matter how little/what I eat, severe PMS, greasy hair/skin + breakouts, total exhaustion (I'm usually a night owl and I can't stay awake for anything in the evenings.), etc...

Just a thought. I'd drop eight loss to the bottom of the list of things to address. I'd concentrate on getting enough to eat, even if it meant eating more, and making sure you're getting the proper nutrition and energy to see you through the day. The others have great advice too.

Don't trust one simple thyroid result. It sounds like you really need a series. When my thyroid issues were diagnosed, I had a really low result the first time, and then an amazingly high result the second time. The ended up diagnosing me with Grave's, but I think that was wrong, and it's more like Hashimoto's. Anyway, the point is, the thyroid is a REALLY funny thing, and I agree with finding a really good endo. :grouphug:

Are you confident they did a full panel for PCOS? I was originally tested by an OB/GYN who insisted my bloodwork was normal. I had several "higher end of normal" results that in light of my symptoms, were most definitely NOT normal. He was missing the big picture. Symptoms plus higher end of normal was not normal for me.

He also only tested *some* of the things that are helpful in diagnosing PCOS. For example, he tested my total testosterone, when for women w/ PCOS, testing for free testosterone is much more telling. When I pressed and got in to see an RE, I was diagnosed right away. They did a more thorough, more accurate panel.

I have less experience w/ thyroid but many women are only given a TSH test. I think ideally (especially if one is having symptoms) need to test free T3, free t4, and test for antithyroid antibodies. I'm sure I'm missing some of the recommendations there but if you are having symptoms, I'd be sure they are really looking closely, and not just doing a few of the tests. Without all of that info, they may not be able to catch something like PCOS or thyroid.

eta: I fully agree w/ getting your own copy of your results. That's how I figured out I had PCOS. I was told "normal range" when I really had "higher end of normal" results. On one of the measures, my RE said he had never seen a lab set such a high "normal" range. No wonder I came back in range! That way you can also figure out whether they really tested everything they should have in order to rule in/out PCOS and thyroid. It isn't uncommon for them to not really do all of the testing they should for those two conditions (and you have symptoms that could be consistent with those).

Edited by Momof3littles

I had very different symptoms but after some "oh no, we think you have x or x" and some pretty invasive tests for such I got the nothing is wrong except in your head speech too. It took a long time to figure out the many and mostly correctable medical problems I had. I feel for you. :grouphug: Don't give up searching a true diagnosis.

If you are open to suggestions I would first get copies of all those levels. Some of what the lab calls normal may not be normal at all. Thyroid levels are actually something that is often off in reality and called normal on a lab. It wasn't my issue so I can't tell you exactly what you want to see on that lab slip but hopefully others will. I do hope they tested the whole thing including your T3 and T4 levels. Further, they may have not run all the labs they should in various areas (both the thyroid and hormonal) to really rule out issues.

I would make suggestions on direction but reading your symptoms does scream thyroid or hormonal. I don't know if you're also depressed but, in my mind, depression can't be responsible for all you mentioned. Further, some of your possible medical issues could have depression as a symptom.

I'd probably suggest seeing a Naturopathic or Integrative Medicine or similar doctor. They often have more knowledge and look beyond lab numbers to the person.

:grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Just a thought. I'd drop eight loss to the bottom of the list of things to address. I'd concentrate on getting enough to eat, even if it meant eating more, and making sure you're getting the proper nutrition and energy to see you through the day. The others have great advice too.

I'm in ED recovery so just conceding to weight gain is a huge trigger that reasserts my need for control.

That said, I am definitely struggling to get the nutrition I need. The panel said that I am not anemic but I have the little white lines under all my fingernails (All have appeared within the last few weeks.) and I'm just foggy and have no energy.

In order to get what I need nutritionally, I have to eat more than my body wants to tackle right now.

I bought some protein/nutrition bars to start with so I can get something in that will make a dent instead of empty calories.

*ETA: DH has been carrying on, worrying that I am relapsing with my ED, but I am only gaining. There has been no binging whatsoever and I've cut out any "filler" foods except coffee and still I stay the same (10 lbs over my normal at present) or continue to gain and I'm bloated and backed up most of the time.

Edited by Stacie Leigh

I would get a second and even third opinion until you find out whats wrong. Once upon a time I had panic attacks and was on Prozac. Recently I was ill for 6 weeks and my doc couldnt figure out why, even swore I had bronchitis when in fact I never had a cough. She finally came to a "your depressed and making up your symptoms, time to go back on prozac" decision and we come to find out I was severly allergic to our Christmas tree and I had been sleeping on the couch right next to the darn thing for 6 weeks. I was exhausted, couldnt breathe, chest pains....

I only figured out what was wrong after we went to visit family for Chrsitmas and I was immediately better and got sick as soon as we got back home. My doc had totally written me off.

If YOU know that you are having symptoms and feel it is something then keep going until you find out what it is. Trust your gut and dont settle for a depression diagnoses just because you were depressed before.

Another thought in addition to making sure you got a full thyroid and PCOS/hormonal panel-

have you had your D level tested? Low D levels have been linked to PCOS issues and can be tied to metabolic/hormonal issues. It can also impact depression.

Many women are D-deficient. I was deficient even after supplementing for a few years at 2000+ iu/day, and I lived in a sunny state at the time. I was also tested coming off of summer, when my levels should have been their highest. And I was not a daily sunscreen user.

D is also important to bone health, and with your history of ED, it may be worth looking at no matter what. Even if it isn't the cause, it would be good to get tested and addressed.

I had very different symptoms but after some "oh no, we think you have x or x" and some pretty invasive tests for such I got the nothing is wrong except in your head speech too. It took a long time to figure out the many and mostly correctable medical problems I had. I feel for you. :grouphug: Don't give up searching a true diagnosis.

If you are open to suggestions I would first get copies of all those levels. Some of what the lab calls normal may not be normal at all. Thyroid levels are actually something that is often off in reality and called normal on a lab. It wasn't my issue so I can't tell you exactly what you want to see on that lab slip but hopefully others will. I do hope they tested the whole thing including your T3 and T4 levels. Further, they may have not run all the labs they should in various areas (both the thyroid and hormonal) to really rule out issues.

I would make suggestions on direction but reading your symptoms does scream thyroid or hormonal. I don't know if you're also depressed but, in my mind, depression can't be responsible for all you mentioned. Further, some of your possible medical issues could have depression as a symptom.

I'd probably suggest seeing a Naturopathic or Integrative Medicine or similar doctor. They often have more knowledge and look beyond lab numbers to the person.

:grouphug:

Thank you for your kind words...

Depression is a way of life for me and my DH has a tendency to make remarks that make me feel crazy and stupid so that is the primary reason I put off seeing the doctor. I would not have gone if I hadn't had highly irregular periods because otherwise I would have assumed I was nuts. That was my one "real" fallback symptom that kept telling me things weren't right. Then my PMS went just haywire. My impulse control dipped and would find myself getting overly chatty and glib and feel like I was watching it from the outside, totally humiliated then I'd swing to hysterical... also feeling totally not like myself and again, humiliated.

I kept telling myself that it was just my emotions, but after a surprise pregnancy in the fall that ended in early miscarriage (exactly as a previous miscarriage had occurred) I started to think that maybe something was physically off.

I asked the doctor about the periods when she said that my results were normal and she said it just must be from stress. :001_unsure:

we come to find out I was severly allergic to our Christmas tree and I had been sleeping on the couch right next to the darn thing for 6 weeks. I was exhausted, couldnt breathe, chest pains....

Now that's amazing, someone allergic to something more bizarre than the things I am allergic to! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm glad you found out, it's hard to track these things down, it took me months to figure out I was allergic to polyester.

I encourage you to explore food allergies as well.

Is your primary care doctor traditional medicine? Have you ever seen a naturopath before?

I do both traditional medicine and naturopath. I go to my naturopath when my traditional kicks me out the door with "everything is fine" (when it's not) or suggests drugs (which I avoid if I'm uncomfortable).

I have experienced great healing with the naturopath through alternative focused therapies such as food, vitamins, lifestyle changes. I had explained just a moment ago the healing a friend of mine experienced from her naturopath for depression.

Her naturopath tested her for MTHFR, came back as positive and she corrected for it. The depression along with fibromylgia disappeared into thin air.

And believe me, I'm not a granola mom by any stretch, just very open minded.

If one were to ask a traditional doctor for the MTHFR test, they will look at you like you have three heads.

But, a naturopath, it is one of the first things they check for with symptoms such as yours.

They are very different approaches to medicine and health.

Edited by one*mom

I had those exact symptoms and actually got yelled at by my primary care dr. for not exercising more because he thought it was all caused by overeating and weight. Even my showing him a food journal in which I was actually UNDEReating did not phase him. Needless to say, I changed doctors. I found a naturopath who had training in both naturopathy and modern medicine and went to her. I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, low vitamin D, and taught how and what to eat that would keep my blood sugar stable--it was going low (which I knew), then spiking and I was on a bad roller coaster (no, I am not diabetic). I felt like a new woman after starting on the supplements and new eating schedule--and no, I had not been overeating...just discovered that even foods I thought were healthy were not necessarily good for ME, if that makes sense. I was actually on anti-depressants for PPD when I went to see her, and am now off.

The symptoms are NOT your imagination--even if "all" that's wrong is being depressed. Find a dr. who will listen to you.

I encourage you to explore food allergies as well.

Is your primary care doctor traditional medicine? Have you ever seen a naturopath before?

I do both traditional medicine and naturopath. I go to my naturopath when my traditional kicks me out the door with "everything is fine" (when it's not) or suggests drugs (which I avoid if I'm uncomfortable).

I have experienced great healing with the naturopath through alternative focused therapies such as food, vitamins, lifestyle changes.

And believe me, I'm not a granola mom by any stretch, just very open minded.

I'm really struggling here in Pgh. I just posted the other day that our pediatrician kicked us out of the practice for delaying vaccinations. It's hard to find a doc that isn't medically aggressive or completely alternative and I really do not want either. I suppose that means dealing with both, lol...

Amen Kertie. You've gone through it also!

What I see as vital in the post by Kertie is the word: listen

Find a doctor that will listen to you.

My initial interview with my naturopath was over two hours long...TWO HOURS.

There is no stone left unturned with a naturopath. None.

Kristin, do you remember your initial interview with your naturopath? Was it incredible like mine?

edit: Yes, I deal with both types of doctors depending on my needs.

Edited by one*mom

I found a family practice that does both conventional western medicine and alternative. It is nice to discuss both options for situations with them and not feel judged either way. Perhaps you can find a practice like that. [of course, my guess is it would be much easier to find a practice like that out here in tree-hugger land. :tongue_smilie:]

I am sorry things are rough right now. When I get in these kind on places, [whether it is physical, emotional, or spiritual] I try to think about the other side. I always [so far] get there and manage just fine. So I tell myself [i know it's silly really] that this time next month or 6 months or next year it will all be a memory. I will have gotten through it. It doesn't solve anything at the time, but helps me to look beyond a bit.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am making light of your situation. I'm not. :grouphug:

Poor girl. :( I thought for sure you were going to say you are pregnant!

Just double checking....did they check your hormone levels? Much of what you describe was me during my perimenopause.

She did check my hormone levels... She was really being thorough so I feel nuts.

I'm only 28 so I'd be stunned it if was perimenopause.

My dh had a bunch of weird symptoms, one of which was exhaustion. Our family doc told him there was nothing wrong and he was nuts. He had lyme, and now he's going good again. Just a thought.

I was just going to say this...and you did. It sounds like Lyme! My son's was in his head, my gf's was in her head...and mine was in my head...UNTIL the titer came back...after many false negatives...positive. Go figure!

Faithe

WOW! You sound JUST LIKE I DID 4 months ago. "I've been struggling for months with a slew of miserable symptoms including very irregular periods, weight gain that will not budge no matter how little/what I eat, severe PMS, greasy hair/skin + breakouts, total exhaustion (I'm usually a night owl and I can't stay awake for anything in the evenings.)" I had the EXACT same symptoms. Previous to visiting the doc, I had micromanaged my life just to function. I have always eaten organically. I had even become vegan for about 4 months prior to my doc's visit. I took up running. I was barely keeping it together, and if anything messed up my early to bed, early to rise routine I was in a tailspin for days. I thought they were nuts for wanting to put me on depression/anxiety meds. I thought for sure I had thyroid problems, hormone issues, early menopause, ulcers, etc etc. Then I decided to bite the bullet and try the meds just for a trial run. I wish, wish, wish I had done this much sooner. I wouldn't have described myself as a depressed person at all, more anxiety than depression, but it made all the difference in the world. I am on the lowest dose, and suddenly, my stomachaches, exhaustion, and anxiety were gone. My kids are happier because I am not at the end of my rope constantly. My hubby likes it because I am back to wanting to do things (other than just planning on how to survive the next day!) Don't be afraid just to do a trial run. I could have swore they were wrong with the diagnosis. Now I swear they were deadly accurate! Hope this helps.

Edited by kalliemorgan

Some thyroid issues will only show up on the TPO test, I think.

Anyway, the tests are TSH, thyroglobulin antibody, and thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody. If you didn't get all of the tests I would go ask for the ones you didn't get.

Just another vote for not just taking the diagnosis of "oh, it's nothing; you must be depressed" for an answer. The symptoms you are describing do not sound like "just depression" to me.

Take charge of your medical care. Get copies of your lab results and start looking into possibilities yourself. But yeah, at same time, do what you can do to keep yourself from falling into a deep depression. Get the best nutrition you can, given your ED, get good rest, take a walk every day, in as much sunshine as possible.

But seriously: taking charge of your medical needs is an empowering and necessary next step.

(((((hugs)))))

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. One thing I'll tell you is that even if your thyroid levels had shown "off," that one little pill isn't always the answer as so many people seem to think. In fact, I still felt terrible while on thyroid meds, and after over 10 years on them, I weaned myself off them (after making a lot of other changes).

Despite what a lot of conventional doctors like to say, depression isn't the cause of your other problems. It's a symptom of your other underlying issues. If you can afford to see a naturopath, I think that's an awesome idea (I couldn't afford to see one, so I had to tackle problems on my own).

I do think diet could be a big part of your problem. Food allergies and sensitivities can cause all types of symptoms that don't seem obvious when you're eating the foods. (I'm to a point where I think that gluten is bad for most people, but especially for people who have mental health symptoms.) Also, environmental factors like chemicals (including fragrances, cleaning products, and more) can cause some of the problems you're having.

I hope you're able to find answers, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

If you ever get really bored, you can check out my blog. I'm not very good about keeping it up, but I have good intentions. LOL

So depression causes greasy hair? :confused: I would look into this further. Your life sounds exhausting to your doctor, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean depression has caused all of these symptoms. :) Now sending your kids to school might cause you some trouble. Why is that always the answer? It could be a combination of things. :grouphug:

Having dealt with PCOS since I was 18 (33 now) and insulin resistance I can tell you that what you described sounds exactly like what I have dealt with.

Did they check your LH? FSH? Androgen levels? Have you looked up insulin resistance and checked symptoms? I would start there. None of which you described sounds like depression, although having BTDT all those things you are going through (and without a diagnosis!!) can CAUSE depression if someone doesnt LISTEN to you!! ;) BTW My thyroid is also wonky, but not enough so for my endo to do anything about it :001_huh: I have an enlarged thyroid that drives me nuts, but he just doesnt think it should be since my numbers are "normal"......sigh.

I'm in ED recovery so just conceding to weight gain is a huge trigger that reasserts my need for control.

That said, I am definitely struggling to get the nutrition I need. The panel said that I am not anemic but I have the little white lines under all my fingernails (All have appeared within the last few weeks.) and I'm just foggy and have no energy.

In order to get what I need nutritionally, I have to eat more than my body wants to tackle right now.

I bought some protein/nutrition bars to start with so I can get something in that will make a dent instead of empty calories.

*ETA: DH has been carrying on, worrying that I am relapsing with my ED, but I am only gaining. There has been no binging whatsoever and I've cut out any "filler" foods except coffee and still I stay the same (10 lbs over my normal at present) or continue to gain and I'm bloated and backed up most of the time.

You've got a lot on your shoulders at the moment. I hope some of the advice you get here helps. :grouphug:

Now that's amazing, someone allergic to something more bizarre than the things I am allergic to! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm glad you found out, it's hard to track these things down, it took me months to figure out I was allergic to polyester.

ElizabethB-

To be honest, you were the first person I thought of when I figured it out :lol: I think it may have been the spray they use to preserve the tree because I have had a real tree my entire life and had no problem and my mom had a real tree at her house, but they went to a farm and cut theirs down.

We refer to this past Christmas as the year the tree tried to kill mommy :)

I'm praying for you that God give you His divine clarity and wisdom to know what is really going on with your health and that He will guide you as to what steps to take to handle your situation. "In quietness and trust is your strength." I also pray that He will help you to still the voices that are not from Him...all the thoughts that may be circling and causing you confusion, even words from others that were meant in love but have caused more burden.

Don't think you're crazy at all!!! I think it is metabolic/diet/exercise/hormonally/environmentally connected... I am 43, my cycle is fine..a bit heavier than I remember, but okay...

But the past two years has been sooo hard! Some days I feel that I wake up with energy and can knock out some things...2 hours later, I honestly could take a nap!! My mom swears that B12/B6 any B vitamin really is at fault...either the body is not metabolizing it, we're not getting it naturally in our diet, we'er not absorbing it..who knows? But she says her energy returns when she gets a B12 shot...I haven't gone that route or tried the sublingual ones either..but may one day.

What I have done is really focus on what I can control...no preservatives, avoiding sugars/white flour processed foods...I also believe that with all the filtered water out there that we're losing some minerals and such that are naturally found in our water...so I try to drink from the tap- drink organic milk and avoid sodas..

I've also really worked at working out..I'm halfway through p90x, do treadmill, swimming and work out with our animals (horses need running)...as tired as I am some days, I firmly believe the more I do, the more energy I get and the better food I crave....

I've just learned to deal with it, hoping this hormonal/environmental etc. wave will pass...but i don't fret or get depressed about it, I try to be proactive and have a good outlook..some days are better than others, but I've definitely noticed a difference! :)

I'm going to suggest two books, both of which were at my library:

"Your Symptoms Are Real: What to do when your doctor says nothing is wrong", Benjamin H. Natelson and

"From Fatigued to Fantastic", Jacob Teitelbaum

These (and my husband) are what kept me sane and engaged in demanding answers this spring when I was told there was nothing wrong with me, having largely the same symptoms. I went through a family doctor, an endocrinologist, and finally landed with the internist who took the torch when Dr. Teitelbaum retired.

It turned out, my thyroid is iffy but it seems I am thyroid resistant (like insulin resistance, just a different hormone), my adrenals are fatigued, and I'm celiac or at least gluten intolerant.

One thing I wasn't: depressed. I was frustrated, defeated, and angry though.

Btw, both of these books deal with chronic fatigue and the many underlying causes associated with it. The symptom arrays can help you figure out which direction is more likely than others.

Also, if you use Quest labs, you can go on their website and get access to your own results, keep health information, etc. Those results belong to you.

I agree something is wrong - they just haven't done the right test or interpreted the results right.

Age really doesn't matter when it comes to menopause/perimenopause. It could be. It could also be some other hormone issues. It could be a lot of things from allergy to autoimmune disease. It could also be effects of the ED. Sometimes it takes the body a long time to recover from an ED, and sometimes when you are getting better you feel worse. My sister has struggled with an ED.

You need a more thorough work up.

Look for a Functional Medicine doctor. You can find a practitioner and learn more at this website. There are quite a few in PA.

Just wanted to give you some :grouphug:

I have been battling much of the same symptoms as you for the past 7 years. I have had blood tests, which always come back fine. I can't get any of them to listen to me, despite both of my parents being hypothyroid.

Just keep making yourself be heard. Definitely request the lab results and ask for more testing if possible. I wish our insurance would allow for me to be more of a thorn in their side to find out what exactly is going on.

I would at the VERY least try a gluten free diet. It isn't as hard as it sounds, and it might make a huge difference. They recently did some studies where up to 1/3 of the population has a gluten sensitivity of some sort. (not all celiac). Get rid of grains for a few weeks and see if that doesn't help.

If it doesn't, go to another doctor.

I didn't know that there was a simple test for that. But your issues sound like more than depression. :grouphug: Don't give up looking for an answer. It still could be PCOS or your thyroid or something else.

I think the elimination diets sound like a decent place to start. I hope you find a doctor who will work with you until you find an answer.

I am another advocate of doing an elimination diet for food allergies. I too could have written this message six months ago. I got the same "go home. You are fine"' message. After dwelling on it a bit and researching a lot I decided to try out food allergies even though I didn't think I reacted to anything. Low and behold, I am gluten, dairy, egg, and corn sensitive. I feel so much better having taken those foods out of my diet. I am no longer freezing all the time, I am losing weight, I am in such a good mood, I sleep through the night, I only need 6 or 7 hours of sleep and feel full of energy all day... I could go on and on. Starting out was the hardest for me but once I started to see such profound results ( and some of them were immediate) there was no question about continuing on.

Good luck.

Some thyroid issues will only show up on the TPO test, I think.

Anyway, the tests are TSH, thyroglobulin antibody, and thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody. If you didn't get all of the tests I would go ask for the ones you didn't get.

You actually want TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and the Antibody tests. There are others as well but these are the main ones.