Menu

Your favourite "comfort food" meal

When I was a student and had no money, I ate a lot of beans and rice. I think it's funny how my favourite comfort meal still is:

Pinto beans - made in the crockpot and just salted, no other seasoning, topped with a wee bit of finely shredded old cheddar cheese, with plain white rice, and steamed broccoli tossed with chunks of pineapple.

My dh thinks this is the single most boring meal he's ever seen, and although he will eat it, and he says he likes it, he cannot imagine why it would be anyone's favourite comfort food.

So... do you have a favourite comfort food/meal that no one else really understands?

saurkraut, mashed potatoes & ribs

The ladies in my family get it, but the men all hate it.

This is what my MIL makes me for my birthday dinner each year. LOVE it.

Are you a northerner? I always liked sauerkraut, but my MIL introduced me to the rib/mashed potatoes addition. She's from Pittsburgh.

Beef brisket, shredded on my plate and mixed with lots and LOT of taters that were peeled and cooked with the beef to get nice and beefy-brown, the entire plate then covered in the broth from cooking.

A big bowl of fried-up hash made of leftover taters and meat also very comforting.

A bowl of rice noodles topped with grilled strips tofu, shredded carrot and lettuce, sprouts, basil shreds, toasted peanut with a light peanut sauce. Around here this is called Vietnamese Salad, but I put a bit of peanut sauce on it instead of the fish sauce.

A bowl of rice noodles topped with grilled strips tofu, shredded carrot and lettuce, sprouts, basil shreds, toasted peanut with a light peanut sauce. Around here this is called Vietnamese Salad, but I put a bit of peanut sauce on it instead of the fish sauce.

That sounds really, really good.

Beans and greens: lots of garlic cooked in butter, top with swiss chard or kale until wilted, with cannellini or other white beans and broth added. Sometimes I make it with lots of broth as a soup.

Marc hates it. :-(

:drool:..I actually make this, but always as a soup.

Edited by Geo

When I was a student and had no money, I ate a lot of beans and rice. I think it's funny how my favourite comfort meal still is:

Pinto beans - made in the crockpot and just salted, no other seasoning, topped with a wee bit of finely shredded old cheddar cheese, with plain white rice

So... do you have a favourite comfort food/meal that no one else really understands?

I think dh and most of my dc would call this meal their favorite comfort food (except I make mine in a pressure cooker & we skip the cheese.) It has become my comfort food, too. When my dc are away at university, this is what they say they miss.

DH grew up on rice and beans. We ate rice and beans all the way through medical school, and then ate more rice and beans while living in Brazil. I still fix it two or three (or more) times a week because it's so simple and we love it.

Edited by Luann in ID

I'm a potato junkie, so anything with potatoes; scalloped, mashed with lots of butter, fried, baked, hashbrowns...aahhh, potatoes make me happy :).

But the one dish, if you can call it that, that I absolutely love that my family just doesn't understand is baked beans and potato chips. Give me a can of Bush's baked beans and a bag of Lays potato chips and I'm in heaven. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, daily. Love it!

Seems like there are a lot of faves that involve beans! I'm surprised! I thought I was the only one (it sure seemed like it anyway). I wonder what it is about beans that are so comforting?

And this. And sometimes, I put together a plate of olives and some great old parm on the side...oh my.

I hate olives (they feel like little greaseballs in my mouth but everyone else in my family loves them!!) but I'm with you on good cheese. I subscribe to a magazine that has a cheese centerfold and I swear, I salivate while I read it and fantasize about cheese and fresh bread. :D

Well, it used to be Mashed Potato Buds (it's a travesty, but it's MY family of origin's travesty).

But now it's clam dip. With Laura Scudder's or Kettle Crisps barbequed potato chips.

Or Oscar Meyer Braunschweiger spread on saltines (another family of origin special).

Or glop, which is a pasta dish in which you cut little strips of cream cheese, put them in a wide bowl, sprinkle heavily with garlic powder, add a little olive oil, and dump hot, freshly made pasta on top and toss so that the cream cheese melts in and distributes. (Sauteed alliums are good in this, as are sauteed wild mushrooms, and freshly shredded parmesan is good on top, but those are really not the essentials.)

Growing up in Newfoundland, it was common to have what we called "cold plates", which consisted of mashed potato salads (plain, mustard, beet), coleslaw, turkey or ham, dressing (what most people know as stuffing). Sometimes people would come around selling these door-to-door for fundraisers, and it was always a major treat if the opportunity came up and we had funds to purchase.

I also love plain potato chips and french onion dip. This was a favourite snack food when I was a kid and even though it doesn't quite agree with me to eat it now, I can still wolf down a whole lot of it.

Oh, and homemade french fries made in a deep fryer with good potatoes, lots of salt and ketchup. Again, childhood favourite. Yum!

My favourite comfort food that I actually make regularly (unlike all this stuff that I just remember fondly lol!) is spaghettini or angel hair pasta with a tomato basil and veggie/meat sauce. Lots of fresh pharm on top. Tomatoes are giving me heartburn this pregnancy, so I'm really looking forward to enjoying this dish again regularly in a couple months.

rice with hamburger gravy, along with sides of English peas and stewed tomatoes.

Or lima beans and hamhocks in that big red pot on the stove with corn muffins.

Or corn chowder (she baked as a casserole with onions, potatoes, and the crispy topping of crumbled saltines).

I sure miss my mom. Funny how favorite foods take my memory back home.

Baked potato soup with bacon, chives and cheddar cheese. I had this after my wisdom teeth were pulled. It is too hot outside for me to eat soup now while I recover from ankle surgery; maybe I will have to turn the air down a little.

Potatoes and Weiners. It's something my mom made when I was little, with cut up hot dogs, onions, paprika, and chunks of potatoes. You cook it till it gets mushy. I long for it at least once every winter. I haven't had it in years, my family isn't impressed with it.

Biscuits with country gravy (made with bacon, not sausage)

Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup (made with 1/2 can milk) with toast torn up and mixed in it.

Chocolate pudding (Jello cook 'n serve) with pecans in it, very cold, skin on.

Kielbasa, sliced and fried, with barbeque sauce, over mashed potatoes (my mom's concoction).

Edited by RoughCollie

I hate olives (they feel like little greaseballs in my mouth but everyone else in my family loves them!!) but I'm with you on good cheese. I subscribe to a magazine that has a cheese centerfold and I swear, I salivate while I read it and fantasize about cheese and fresh bread. :D

You know, maybe you just haven't tried the right ones. I spent the first 35 years of my life hating olives, too. Hating them! But then I was at a local fromagerie (not a typical northern cheese store ;), although I love to go in those and die a little as often as possible, too) and they had bulk bins of different olives. The little spanish olives and the big, black kalamatas are so very, very different than the green pimento stuffed ones or the canned black ones (ick, ick, ick!). And even those vary from region to region - kind of like wine grapes.