Menu

"Positive" c-section stories :)

So…. the littlest guy in my sig is going to be born soon, via c-section for a variety of reasons. I've never had this done before and it's a little scary - although honestly, I do appreciate the fact that I'll *know* when things are going down. Or rather, coming out. ;)

What I'd really like is to hear from some of you ladies who've had a c-section that went along just peachy - okay so maybe peachy is kinda pushing it (ha) but you know what I mean. If you ended up with some nasty infection or they left a surgical tool in your abdomen, don't tell me --- actually wait. That second one could be a wild story.…just save it for a couple weeks 'k? :p

:bigear: <--- given the medium, this should be a smiley with giant EYES.

My SIL, who is a big wimp, and my friend, who is also a wimp, both had them and were totally okay. They said it wasn't bad at all! I have never had one but my other friend has had 2 and done 3 VBACS and said that the c-sect was a more manageable and predictable pain(in recovery) than the pain if labor. Hope that helps!:grouphug:

I had to have them due to prior uterine surgery that left me susceptible to rupture if I went full term and into labor.

Honestly, I loved the predictability of the birth - the hospital actually asked me what time I would like to deliver. No midnight hospital runs. And for me, the recovery was very easy. I can't compare to a vaginal birth, but both times I was up and doing things within 2 days. (I was walking the hospital the evening of #2.) I was quite worried about the rules I was given beforehand - "Don't lift more than 10 pounds." "No driving for 2 weeks." Well, I was careful, and was more than happy to accept the help of others, but I didn't actually follow those rules, especially after #2. I remember driving my older DS to our mom-and-tot class 6 days after #2, lugging the infant seat and diaper bag.

I think it depends so much on your own body, but with a planned (versus emergency) c-section and an otherwise healthy mom, things are likely to go well for you. Best wishes!

2 c-sections - one planned and the other one not really emergency per-se - just had to be done, or maybe that is called an emergency.

I love c-sections :), at least for me.

What really, really helps is to start moving gradually and as soon as you can - after the surgery. The more you lie down and the more inactive you are, the longer it will take to heal. Moving around helps. I used to walk around the hospital floor pushing dd in her crib or whatever they call it. I got up every hour and did this. Recovery was a breeze.

I had 2 scheduled c-sections the first one was done due to complications (large uterine fibroid), so that was a little more involved and the recovery was longer too. I'll spare details, but unless you have a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe, no worries there. :D

But the 2nd was done just because of concerns of scar tissue. That recovery was a breeze. I was getting up and down to the floor and handling my 3 year old quite quickly after my daughter was born. Don't be afraid to use their pain killers afterward if you need them.

I had an emergency C-section after going through 8 hours of labor. That was exhausting. The doc did a good job though. Recovery wasn't bad, I was up the next day walking. The hardest part was breastfeeding for the first several days. I just couldn't find any position that didn't hurt. I had a hemotoma (sp?) that looked scary and was a pain in the neck to get the packing redone every day or 2, but it didn't hurt. I walked a bunch up until the day I went into labor. I only gained about 8 lbs and I am sure both of those helped things as well.

"Don't lift more than 10 pounds." "No driving for 2 weeks."[/b] Well' date=' I was careful, and was more than happy to accept the help of others, but I didn't actually follow those rules, especially after #2. I remember driving my older DS to our mom-and-tot class 6 days after #2, lugging the infant seat and diaper bag.

[/quote']

They told me the same thing (both my OB and my midwife) after each of my (vaginal) births. That's not c-section specific. It has to do keeping the bleeding to normal levels.

I never understood the driving one. I guess if you start bleeding heavily and pass out, they would be liable.

I was also specifically told not to vacuum. I would think that goes double for recovery from surgery.

My first was a C-section. I was up and walking later that day and each day was better and better. The hospital I was in would not leave my dd alone with me if I could not get up to care for her so I was motivated. I think getting up and about as soon as possible is really helpful. I healed quickly, no complications. I don't like to take medication for pain and I found I only needed to occassionally. One tip; apply pressure (a pillow is good) on the incision when you laugh, sneeze or cough for the first few days. That helps manage discomfort! ;-)

I had an emergency C-section with my third. After the first day, the recovery was no worse than a vag delivery. We even went to church when she was 4 days old. If I'd had a 4th, I probably would have elected a repeat C-section over a VBAC.

I have had 4 c-sections. After being in labor with my first son for 12 hours things started to go wrong and I had to have an emergency c-section. I was scared to death, but all went well. I had to have a c-section with all of my pregnancies after because of my pelvis. The recovery time really depends on the person and their tolerance of pain. I was up walking the next day with each one. I found that keeping a pillow on the abdomen helps tremendously. Make sure your hubbie brings a pillow to the hospital so you can hold it over your abdomen on the way home. I also used a pillow whenever I held the baby to protect the incision.

C-section babies are so beautiful! Their heads are perfectly shaped and they really have very little stress compared to being delivered the other way. The c-section takes very little time to be performed. Once my doctor began the c-section, I usually was holding my baby within 15 minutes. Remember to take advantage of the down time after the c-section. You will need someone to help you for a while. Just sit down, love your new little baby and follow doctors orders. You deserve a much needed break from dishes, housework, cooking and cleaning! So line up some help now if your hubbie can't take time off work. I wish the best for you and your new little one.

4 here for me and I wouldn't have it any other way. First was an emergency but not really, ds hand came down before head so nerve damage was a risk. Easy recovery no problems. I was up and around in a few days, even left the hospital a day early.

Second was a true emergency 2 true knots in cord and wrapped around neck, he was born with-in one minute of the time they told me they were taking him, I felt a large majority of that surgery. Recovery was long and painful but his delivery was harsh to say the least.

Third was a planned c/s no more trying to VBAC. Easy recovery no problems again home and doing normal things with in a few days.

Fourth same as third.

As far as infection just keep the site clean and dry like any other owwie and it will be all good.

I have never had a vag. delivery and I think they both have their drawbacks and bonuses that can be listed but given my choice I would have a C/S over a vag. delivery any day.

No worries it will all be worth it when you are holding that new little wee one.:001_smile::001_smile:

\ I found that keeping a pillow on the abdomen helps tremendously. Make sure your hubbie brings a pillow to the hospital so you can hold it over your abdomen on the way home. I also used a pillow whenever I held the baby to protect the incision.

I forgot this!! This was super important for me and didn't learn about it till second son.

My oldest was born via c-section after 24 hours of labor.

My recovery wasn't too bad. I tried to keep moving as much as I could (though I did learn the first night I was home that sleeping flat in my bed was a bad idea when I had difficulty getting up to take care of the baby), but that only lasted a couple of days. I actually went with my parents to an outdoor mall and shopped (though I was walking slower than normal) less than a week after the c-section.

First was emergency c-section, 2nd was planned. The planned one was much easier to recover from! :tongue_smilie:

No problems at all with the 2nd one and recovery was fine. I went home the next day.

Dawn

I've had two (pre-eclampsia and three weeks early). I'm a huge wimp (pass out all the time at the doctor, dentist, eye doctor). Besides getting my wisdom teeth out, it was the only surgery I've had. But it was a total breeze. I didn't take pain meds after my first and after my second, I took one dose. I was up walking (sure, it hurt, but not unbearable) the following day. Good luck!

Check out the ican website. They have white papers on how to have a family centered, positive cesarean birth, as well as information on how to speed recovery.

Ask your doctor and hospital things like, can I hold the baby in the OR while i'm stiched up? Can I have the baby in recovery?

I had to have a c-section as my only birth because I had placenta previa and my little buy was transverse breech. My partner birthed five children vaginally--she said my c-section looked much easier.

I had waited my whole life to have a baby, and when my c-section was planned, I cried for hours because I wanted to do everything as "naturally" as possible. But, then, I went into action to make sure it was the best birth it could be.

The delivery experience could have been better (don't worry--it's still safe to read!). In my group practice of five ob/gyns, there was one dr. I really liked and one I really didn't like. I was scheduled with my favorite--woohoo! Then, when I got there, I found the one I really didn't like waiting. Turned out she was working as his "assistant." Oh, well.

But, the recovery. Seriously mine went so easily. I don't know why. I was very out of shape from bedrest, and I really liked the morphine pump they had me on the first 24 hours. I was up, showering, walking, wearing my own clothes the next day, and I went home after 48 hours. I couldn't lift over 10 lbs.--that they were firm about. But as far as stairs and driving, they said if it didn't hurt, I could do it. And it didn't hurt. I slept upstairs in my own bed the first night I got home, and I drove after six days.

I found using a pillow against my belly when I coughed really helped a lot. I also used it to protect my belly when I breastfed. I think homeopathic Arnica helped a lot with my healing.

I've had 2, one emergency and one scheduled. With the emergency, dear baby's heart dropped very suddenly, very low. Turned out his cord was wrapped around his little chest. I honestly didn't mind at that point, we'd had hours of back labor! I was up and about the next day and went on just fine. Steps were difficult for a time and getting up from sitting down was not easy, but that is about all I recall from that one.

The 2nd was scheduled. I confess to being a bit scared at first. I had a vbac inbetween the 2 and the idea of major surgery was not pleasing to me. I cannot stand IVs or needles in general. The surgery was fine, the recovery was good. I was off pain meds the next day, up and about, and discharged on day 3. I did get stuck in the lazy boy and dh had to help me out of it a few times! But, it went just fine, no problems.

I, too, had c-sections with all of mine. My first was not planned but my oldest ds' heart rate bottomed out a few times so they needed to get him quickly. My recovery time was a piece of cake for all of mine and I didn't even fill my pain pills for 2 of the 3 births.

The recovery time is easy if you follow the instructions from the nurses about getting up and walking around. You will have just had your abdomen cut open so there will be some pain but it won't be unbearable. I also had a pain pump for the night of my surgeries as well.

Maybe it's because I never had a vag birth or because I was so euphoric about having my baby, but the birth - to me - was still an amazing experience!

Oh, and line up a REAL lactation consultant, one that is board certified. You may not need her, but breastfeeding after c-section is often more difficult. The baby is being born earlier than it would otherwise an may not have as good of a suck reflex, you will have trouble getting into a comfortable position, your hormones may be at different levels than after a vag birth, etc. The football hold was really helpful for me after my c-section.

My c-section was 11 years ago, and I've had a VBAC since, and even back then I didn't have any complications really. It hurt, sure, but that was bearable if I took the meds. DO TAKE THE MEDS if you need them, you heal faster if you are not stressing your body with pain hormones. However, also ask for stool softeners, as the pain meds can really bind you up. The other thing I wish I had known was that they wouln't leave the baby in the room with me if there wasn't another adult present, as I was not able to tend to the baby.

I had a VBAC the next time, as it turned out my c-section was totally unneeded, but if I had to have a c-section again I wouldn't be afraid of the recovery, just bummed about the down time. What I would want to do is wait to go into labor if at all possible (as long as it wasn't previa) to give the baby a chance to fully mature, then have the c-section. That way baby gets to chooses her birthday. Then I would ask to keep one hand free during surgery so I could hold the baby on my chest while they sewed me up. And would insist on nursing in recovery. I'd also ask them NOT to bathe the baby without me, that bummed me out that I missed the first bath.

Here is some info on planning a c-section: http://www.ican-online.org/pregnancy/family-centered-cesarean

And of course, it helps you to recovery emotionally if you are sure it was the best choice. If you have any doubts that a c-section is needed you should explore that before the surgery, with another doctor, an ICAN support group, etc. (or feel free to PM me)

Katie

My first was an emergency after being in labor for two days! I was so tired that I s'mores on the operating table! My recovery was so easy! I was off pain killers n the hospital, because they made me hallucinate.

Next baby, new dr. wanted me to try a v-back. K held my ground and stuck with a c-section (my family just ca t deliver babies!), and this recovery was even easier because of no prior labor!

It also allowed for me to plan when my family should come from out of town to help! Best wishes on your delivery.

I've had two sections and both were very good experiences. Dh was at my head, we met our babies as soon as they were out and I was nursing both within the first hour. It is key to get up and about as soon as you can, you'll feel better and recover faster.

Guest momk2000

I had 2 C-sections, and all went well for both. I was actually relieved the first time around to have the C-section, and of course opted to have the elective surgery the 2nd time around. :)

I had an unplanned C sec, required only one or two percosets TOTAL for pain control, have tiny thin scar, and think nothing of it. My friends wife had a baby the same week and tore into the anal sphincter. 9 months later, she was still saying it hurt.

I've had 3 unplanned c-sections (3rd was a preemie). Honestly, I've had a worse recovery from a root canal, although I think that's more of a comment on the root canal than on the c-sections. Try to get up and get moving, if you have a morphine pump use enough so that you can rest but not so much that you can't feel if something hurts, and keep your incision clean. I hope you have a lovely delivery.

I had two planned c sections and they were both easy (truly easy).

In both cases I was up and walking around the room by dinner the same night and out of the hospital with nothing more than motrin after 48 hours.

The key is to keep moving. You will be somewhat stiff and sore but as long as you get up and walk around every hour or so it won't get too bad. The more you lay around the worse it will be.

There are benefits as well. I bled less than all of my friends who delivered vaginally and it was kind of nice to know when the baby was coming.

Also, one of my big concerns was scarring. If you are worried about it you can request that the surgeon use internal stitches and steri strips rather than staples. I insisted on this and have only the faintest flat white line where the incision was.

My first was a c-section because he was breech. The surgery went really well. From what I understand, spinals are easier for the anesthesiologist to do, so that's a plus! I just wish I had known more about the procedure before hand. My husband and I went to a class at the hospital, but they just glanced over c-sections. I thought it was a little weird having my arms tied down(it's so you don't accidentally move during surgery, which is a good thing!). It didn't bother me too much, I just would've liked to know that. Also, you might want to ask about your hospital's policy about the father returning to the room. My husband went out with our son and was unable to return to the operating room because of that. Those are just some things to think about. Overall, it was just as easy for me to recover as my three VBACs though. The pain was just in a different location. And definitely try to move as much as you can the next day, that is really supposed to help! Good luck and everything should be just wonderful!

I had 2 emergency Cs for different reasons. 1st to save my life and the 2nd was to save my son's. I can honestly say that the recovery was a breeze. I have had some nasty medical surgeries that were much worse to recover from, so by comparison a C-section was nothing! You have gotten excellent tips. Pillows are KEY! Don't sneeze, cough, laugh, ride in a car or try to nurse without one. Gently pressing on the pillow will do amazing wonders for any of those situations in which you start to feel discomfort. I had a cough at the time of my 2nd C, without a pillow, things would have been quite unpleasant. Once you are home, use caution when getting out of bed or out of a chair. If you can have your husband or someone else give you a hand (quite literally help pull you up), you will have no problems. If you do wind up using your stomach muscles too much getting out of bed or whatever, your incision will bark. But the good news is, if you stop that movement, the pain will ease and be gone within just a few minutes. The best thing about a C-section is that you can use the bathroom without fear. No tearing or episiotomy for you (yuk!)!!!!

Remember the most important thing, no matter how your baby is delivered, all that matters is a healthy baby and a healthy mommy. Congratulations and Good Luck!

:grouphug:

I had an emergency C-section with my oldest, my DD.

If you get one of those self-administering pain relief pumps, use it to stay ahead of your pain. It is much easier to stay ahead of the pain than to catch up once you are hurting.

also, take colace or a stool softener, starting in the hospital. IMO, constipation is another thing to prevent rather than deal with when you're recovering from the birth.

Enjoy your little one.

So…. the littlest guy in my sig is going to be born soon, via c-section for a variety of reasons. I've never had this done before and it's a little scary - although honestly, I do appreciate the fact that I'll *know* when things are going down. Or rather, coming out. ;)

What I'd really like is to hear from some of you ladies who've had a c-section that went along just peachy - okay so maybe peachy is kinda pushing it (ha) but you know what I mean. If you ended up with some nasty infection or they left a surgical tool in your abdomen, don't tell me --- actually wait. That second one could be a wild story.…just save it for a couple weeks 'k? :p

:bigear: <--- given the medium, this should be a smiley with giant EYES.

I had 3 C-Sections and all were fine. Each hospital stay was about 3 days, there wasn't much pain afterward, and everything always healed up fine. I prefer them, actually. :)

I've had 2 c-sects and I can't imagine doing it the other way! I'm terribly modest and probably would have died if I had a BM while pushing! Everything went fine with both my surgeries.

My first c-section was during Christmas and the nurses just simply were not on top of my pain mgmt. I had never had surgery before so I was not experienced enough to know I needed to keep up with the pain meds and demand more when I got uncomfortable. No one ever explained the pain scale to me - you know the #1 is no pain, #10 is AGONY. So with #2 I tried to be more proactive and everything was GREAT.

I do agree that the faster you start moving the faster you start feeling better. I tried to drive at 10 days after #2 and I could not do it. My incision kept pulling when I would turn the steering wheel! So be careful when you DO feel fine, you might need to be aware of the potential to pull and get a sting! Good luck!!

Both of mine were c-sections. I tried really hard to have a VBAC with my second, but she was 9 days late and had no amniotic fluid and her placenta was calcifying and she was hardly moving, so we decided to go ahead and do another c-section. All the rest of mine will be c-sections now too, because my husband feels strongly about me not attempting a VBA2C.

The second one was definitely a faster recovery than the first, I don't know why. I don't mind them at all. Obviously they don't feel great, but they aren't the end of the world. The predictability of it all is a definite plus. I do have some nerve damage around the scar area that feels uncomfortable but not painful if my clothes rub against it too much, but other than that, the c-section is just fine by me. The only reason I tried so hard for a VBAC was because I didn't want to limit the number of children we would have because of health. Now it's looking like I probably won't have more than 4, and possibly only 3, depending on how my next pregnancy and delivery go.

I've had two c-sections... My poor malformed uterus just could never open my cervix enough. I went through labor with both, the 2nd for 3 days! My sections were quick and easy, nothing scary. Try to have the doctors/nurses do an epidural for your first day of recovery, vs. meds (they just make you sleepy, and make breastfeeding harder, if that's what you choose).

My best at home recovery advice is to either sleep the first few nights, after coming home, in a recliner or with lots of pillows and bolsters, so you are almost sitting up. Getting up from lying flat is very painful at first. I was actually driving 4 days after my second (I know I was being bad, but I heal very fast).

I will add, I would rather have had vaginal births. I'm a bit shocked to see people preferring major abdominal surgery.

Edited by Jenny in Atl

One c-section due to breach child. I was very nervous (don't like the idea of a needle in my spine)- my husband and I looked at each other and talked. Less than five minutes later everything was done and we had a "chunky" baby girl. Had little to no pain and was alert. 2nd child was VBAC and everything went well there too.

I don't blame you for being nervous though.

My best at home recovery advice is to either sleep the first few nights, after coming home, in a recliner or with lots of pillows and bolsters, so you are almost sitting up. Getting up from lying flat is very painful at first. I was actually driving 4 days after my second (I know I was being bad, but I heal very fast).

I 100% agree with this advice. I slept on our love seat with 5 pillows supporting me and I could actually get comfortable for the first several days I was home. On the bed it was just way to uncomfortable.

Also, I don't know about at your hospital, but at mine for my second, they kept the baby in the room while they were sewing me up and took care of her there. Then they actually gave her to me to hold while they wheeled me to my room. It was awesome. With my first they took her away and I didn't see her for about an hour and a half. Definitely see if you can keep the baby in the room with you, assuming no complications.

I am so glad to read that others have had positive C-section birth experiences. In my circle it generally seems that I'm the only one who feels positive about my sections.

My first was a section because he was a footling-breech. I remember when the Dr. told me that he still hadn't turned and if he didn't by his due date I'd need a C-section. I cried all the way home because I just kept hearing my child-birth instructor's comments of how horrible c-sections were and not to let them do a c-section and if you really try and want it you can have a natural delivery. I spent weeks doing all the supposed exercises, tricks to get him to turn. I even let them try a version --most painful thing ever - but he was content right where he was. He came three weeks early and since he was still a footling they delivered him by c-section. I was terrified --but it was easy and I was up walking that afternoon. Back then you had to stay in the hospital 5 days and they wouldn't leave a c-section baby w/ the mom unless someone else was in the room. Needless to say, I alwas kept someone w/ me. I left the hospital and was shopping w/ my little guy at the malls the next day and never slowed down.

I went on to have 2 more c-sections and 1 VBAC (which was a terrible experience and took about 8 weeks to recover from bec she should have been a c-sections). My other two sections were just as easy as the first despite my increasing age (there is 15 years bet/ my first and last.) Recovery was never a problem for me and I was generally at the ballpark or shopping within that first week after delivery.

2 c-sections here. 1st was after several hours of labor and baby had low heart rate, 2nd was scheduled. I got to choose our me-maw's birthday for my daughter, so she shares names and birthdays with all her great grandmas.

My recovery went well with both. Definitely use a pillow, and definitely get help to stay w/ you in the hospital those first days and at home for a day or so. Also, do not neglect the pain med schedule the first day or two while you're in the hospital; if you do, you will have to endure some pain while you wait for the next round of meds to kick in. I switched to ibuprofen once at home to avoid the drowsiness of prescription pain meds. While in the hospital w/ my 2nd, I had my (sleepy) husband stay w/ me one night. He would get her out of the bassinet for me when she was crying, but then go back to sleep. In hindsight, I would rather have my mom, who stayed awake w/ me until baby was back in her bassinet. At one point, I was nursing and fell asleep w/ my daughter in the bed with me, due to the fog of the pain meds. A nurse came to check my vitals and work me up, thankfully. Not that I could have rolled much probably due to the incision, but it was still a little unnerving.

My incision didn't stay stapled together well on one side with my 2nd c-section. My doc wasn't concerned, but it was weird. I think it happened because I was getting out of our (tall for me) bed on my own several times a day. I will ask for help more or just keep the next one in a basket on the bed w/ me next time probably.

And my doc recommended that I not drive until I felt I could make an emergency stop w/o pulling my incision open - which was a little over a week for me.

I've had 4 c-sections. The first was scary, but not bad. The next two were fine. I was up walking around, not a lot of pain, easy recovery. The last was harder, but I am certain it's because dh was deployed the whole pregnancy, came home for the birth and left again for 6 months. Recovery was harder, but I was at home alone with 4 kids.

The biggest difference I was aware of was Toradol was available with my 2nd and following c-sections. It's a miracle drug as far as pain relief goes (for me). I hate narcotic pain relievers - all they do is make me less able emotionally to deal with the pain. Toradol got rid of the pain and didn't make me sleepy. Ask your dr. what you will have for pain after the sx.

My sister had 3 c-sections since her first child was traverse when she went into labour (they did a T shaped cut on her for the first). She was fine all three times. The two planned ones were much easier than the first emergency one.

My first was an emergency c-section too, but I had a v-bac for the other two. When the nurse told me to get up out of bed and walk within a few hours of "being cut in half" (my feelings at the time) I could have slapped her, but she was experienced enough to stay out of my reach. :) I was fine, and so was my ds. Do plan to give yourself more time to recover. And do try to arrange some extra help around the house for a few weeks. Back twenty-something years ago, I was not allowed to drive for 4 weeks, but I don't know if that is still the rules.

I had five c-sections. I went into labor with all but two, though one of those two was an emergency c/s, and had very easy recoveries with all but one. That one was a littl harder but nothing awful. My advice would be to stay ahead of the pain by taking your meds regularly. Don't stress out your body with pain, and do take it easy when you get home. The more you overdo it, the longer recovery. Really, there is a balance, because if you are sedentary, you'll take longer to recover as well. So try to listen to your body's cues. Also try to get up as soon as the nurse/doctor gives you the okay. And remember that you don't have to stay in bed. It took me a couple of babies before I realized that the arm chair and rocking chair were comfortable places to sit with the baby too. Best wishes to you and your baby.

My twins were a scheduled C-sect. It was the easiest delivery and recovery. Dh thought it was absolutely the coolest. He got to watch "smoke" coming out of my abdomen.:lol: The only time I was in pain from it (I can't take pain meds other than over the counter strength) was on getting in and out of bed in the morning/night. Once I was up, I was fine. My other two wre traditionally delivered. Much more painful delivery;) and surprisingly more painful during recovery.

I've had 4 c-sections: 2 emergency then 2 scheduled. All 4 babies had cords somehow knotted or wrapped around their bodies multiple times (apparently I make really long cords:001_huh:).

You're received great advice so I'll just add one thing:

Buy yourself a girdle!! It will "hold everything in" while you walk, laugh, cough, sneeze, etc. Much more effective than a pillow, and it gives the added benefit of helping your skin go back to where it's supposed to be instead of being stretched out so much (so says a irl friend who worked for a plastic surgeon). Yes, I felt like an idiot buying it at 23yo but it worked like a charm!!! I got a new one with all 4 kids!:lol:

I never understood the driving one. I guess if you start bleeding heavily and pass out, they would be liable.

I was also specifically told not to vacuum. I would think that goes double for recovery from surgery.

The doc explained this to me that if you had to suddenly slam on your brakes you could rip the stitches on the inside of your body which would require being opened up again:scared:. Vacuuming is also something that can easily rip your inside stitches.

DO TAKE THE MEDS if you need them, you heal faster if you are not stressing your body with pain hormones. However, also ask for stool softeners, as the pain meds can really bind you up.

:iagree:

Both of my girls were born C-section.

The first was after several days in the hospital after twice inducing...and still no baby.

The spinal block didn't work for me, so I was knocked out with no notice, and I have no memory of dd4 being born.

The anesthesiologist came to visit me in the hospital afterward to check on me. I told him that "remembering dd's birth would have been a wonderful memory, but it would have only been icing on the cake. The goal was a healthy baby, and that is what we got. I have no complaints."

For dd(infant), we did a C-section because the local hospital no longer does VBACs. I'm not sure we would have done a VBAC anyway. With an older child for which to plan childcare, and Loverboy's work schedule, the C-section was the most practical.

I encourage you to stay in the hospital as long as you can. We left after only 2 days (rather than the recommended 3, or the potential 4 that my healthcare would provide) because we wanted to be home by Thanksgiving. I should have taken that extra day or two.

I've had 3. The last two were scheduled. The best part of scheduled c-sections is that you go in well-rested and you leave somewhat rested. You don't have to recover from hours of labor and pushing!

Be sure to have someone spend the night with you. It is difficult to move that first night and lift a baby. If the nurses in the nursery get busy - they won't be able to help you - ask me how I know!!

Within a week - I was feeling much better physically. It looks like you'll have lots of help at home. For lifting and moving baby the first few days.

(And make sure they all pamper you!!)

DD was a scheduled CS due to complete placenta previa. Other than being completely petrified, the delivery was a breeze. I was never separated from DD the entire time I was in the hospital. She was with me in delivery, recovery, and on the ward. Once the spinal wore off, I didn't use any pain meds stronger than alternating 800mg ibuprofen and Extra-strength Tylenol. I was home within 48 hrs of the delivery (at my request because I HATE hospitals), moving a little slowly but on my own with my 2 youngest kids and doing OK. Of course I followed doctor's orders and refused to do the laundry or any lifting heavier than the baby for 2 wks but I probably could have. I took walks around the neighborhood with the kids within a wk.