Menu

How to make Oatmeal yummy?

So we are trying to cut our grocery bill down and instead of buying boxed cereal, I thought I'd make oatmeal in the mornings (from scratch). Normally we have always used instant oatmeal. Suffice it to say, the oatmeal this morning wasn't exactly gross ... but it sure wasn't yummy.

So what do you do to make your oatmeal good? What do you add to it? How do you cook it? I did mine in the microwave and added brown sugar, raisins, and raw sugar. And I think I overcooked it. yuck. :tongue_smilie:

To start with, get regular oatmeal (not instant) and cook it on the stove (or crockpot overnight if you're not up to cooking at the crack of dawn.) It will be less like mush.

The dc like brown sugar and milk on theirs - added in the bowl. Dh likes raisins cooked in, but no one else does.

I've put apple chunks in a few times (requires longer cooking) which they ate but weren't impressed.

The dc often throw some frozen blueberries in.

ETA. Check out your old instant packages. I bet the dc are used to having salt in it.

I just wanted to throw this out there. Something that TN Mama told me about (that she found out about on this forum) is to take the old fashioned oatmeal and put it in a microwave safe bowl or mug and pour milk over it, enough to cover the oats plus a little more and let it soak overnight. The oats will absorb the milk, which is why you'd need a little more than "just covering the oats". The next morning, pop it in your microwave for about a minute - a minute and a half to heat it up, then add whatever you'd like to add to it (I add brown sugar and butter).

I know this sounds like it takes some planning ahead - and it does - but I have also discovered that if I give the oatmeal at least 10 minutes of soaking, it's still good. I prefer to let it soak 20-30 minutes at a minimum because the oats are a little bit softer, but there have been those rushed mornings where all I have is 10 min.

There are also crock pot recipes for cooking oatmeal overnight so that it's ready first thing without having to break out the pots and pans in the morning.

I microwave it per the box directions and then add brown sugar and a lot of milk, just as a PP.

My kids also like Breakfast Rice, 3/4 c. cooked rice (brown or white), 2/3 c. milk, 1 T. brown sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon. Cook all in a small pan on medium heat for 10 mins., stirring frequently, about 10 mins. until the milk is absorbed. Can top with fresh fruit. (That recipe makes one serving.) I like it because it's inexpensive and healthy.

We use organic quick rolled oats, cooked on the stove top. I often make chocolate oatmeal for the kids, and they gobble it up! I put cocoa powder in the boiling water to disolve, then add the oatmeal. I usually stir in almond meal or almond butter, coconut oil, some chia seeds to add protein and some good fats. I sweeten with honey. It's really good topped with unsweetened shredded coconut. Yum!

I love baked oatmeal. I use this basic recipe, but I cut the sugar waaay down, and I mix in whatever I feel like. I really like apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. If you make a nice size pan of it, you can eat it a couple days in a row. It's also a great snack.

If I'm not baking, my favorite is chocolate covered cherry oatmeal. I mixed it up one morning when I was pregnant and really wanted chocolate for breakfast. ;)

Traditional oatmeal

Brown sugar

Unsweetened cocoa powder

Cut up dried cherries (in a pinch, cherry flavored Crasins)

A little cream on top

I use the quick-cooking, generic brand oatmeal. 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 c water, pinch of salt. Microwave for 4 min at half power. My mom buys regular McCann's oatmeal (in the round tin), and crockpots it overnight.

I usually put walnuts, maple syrup, blueberries, and cinnamon in it. Sometimes I'll use dried cherries.

I cook ours on the stovetop. I use vanilla soy milk (because we're vegan) and some water. I also add a tablespoon or so per serving of toasted wheat germ and of sugar. (We use Florida Crystals organic sugar, mostly.)

I let it boil, then turn it off and cover. After a few minutes, the liquid is mostly absorbed, and it's ready to serve.

Both my kids and my husband like to top the cooked oatmeal with some maple syrup.

That's it. Yummy, cheap, easy and pretty healthy.

My kids also like Breakfast Rice, 3/4 c. cooked rice (brown or white), 2/3 c. milk, 1 T. brown sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon. Cook all in a small pan on medium heat for 10 mins., stirring frequently, about 10 mins. until the milk is absorbed. Can top with fresh fruit. (That recipe makes one serving.) I like it because it's inexpensive and healthy.

Brilliant. This would be perfect for my wheat allergic ds.

We use organic quick rolled oats, cooked on the stove top. I often make chocolate oatmeal for the kids, and they gobble it up! I put cocoa powder in the boiling water to disolve, then add the oatmeal. I usually stir in almond meal or almond butter, coconut oil, some chia seeds to add protein and some good fats. I sweeten with honey. It's really good topped with unsweetened shredded coconut. Yum!

Also brilliant. Why did I never think to put cocoa in it? I guess because I can't have cocoa.

We don't do microwave oatmeal -- I can't make it come out not gummy for some reason, and if it's at all gummy, the texture repels me.

We do:

2c of water and a tiny amount of salt, bring to a full boil, add 1c oatmeal, turn to simmer, leave sit five minutes, turn off and leave sit 5 more minutes.

To this we usually add canned fruit, but visitors have added cream and brown sugar before.

If we are going to use dried fruit, we plump them overnight. We cut up the fruit (if needed), measure the water and add the dried fruit. This sits on the stove overnight and makes for a quick and easy breakfast while still half-asleep, as everything but the oatmeal is already out and measured and ready to go. Some of our favourites are mixed golden/black raisins and mixed apricots/pineapple.

We cook bulk oats on the stovetop. Add a bit of salt to the water, it will help a lot. I let everyone flavor their own.

Options:

a bit of butter

brown sugar or honey

cinnamon

a drop of vanilla extract

raisins/craisins

fresh or dried berries

chopped nuts

flax seed

I was quite surprised to find that my kids love oatmeal this way.

These replies are all great! Thank you everyone! I will definitely try making it on the stove as that seems to be a common theme in good oatmeal :001_smile: I also am going to try out some of the different toppings you recommend :001_smile: Thanks again!

I make baked oatmeal for the kiddos. They love it and mine that don't like oatmeal will eat this. I have found ways to cut down on the cost by substituting applesauce for the butter, which also makes it healthier.

What is the recipe for baking it? Would you share please?

I make baked oatmeal too, but I use this recipe:

• 3 cups oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and then mix it in with the dry ingredients by hand before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add fresh blueberries after it is cooked.

I make baked oatmeal too, but I use this recipe:

• 3 cups oatmeal

• 3/4 cup brown sugar

• 1/2 cup butter

• 2 eggs

• 2 cups milk

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and then mix it in with the dry ingredients by hand before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add fresh blueberries after it is cooked.

Butterscotchy! My children won't eat it this way, but SO and I love it.

We just eat it straight - no milk, no sugar, no additions. It takes a day or two to get used to, but it's really better this way for us. The milk and sugar just seem to bring out the bitter flavors of the oatmeal.

1/2 cup oatmeal

1 cup water

3 minutes in the microwave (in a big bowl - it will boil out of a regular cereal bowl and make a mess)

Let it sit a couple minutes so the oats can soak up the rest of the water.

I have to do a little less than 3 minutes in the summer because our tap water is warmer then.

The rest of my family prefers the quick cooking oats. They're cut thinner so they cook faster and turn into mush. I prefer the regular cut oats. There's still some bite to them after cooking. There are also thick cut oats available which end up even chewier. We get oats in bulk.

For old fashioned oats cooked on stovetop, I like to add cinnamon, ginger and agave nectar or maple syrup.

For steel cut oats, I cook them overnight in the crockpot with chopped apples and raisins, prunes or other dried fruits. Then I add cinnamon before serving.

My kids like both kinds with a little milk. I add some almond milk to mine.

Oh, I love oatmeal. I used to hate it until I learned the secret to making it creamy and delicious. Never use water! I take 1/2 c. OLD FASHIONED ROLLED oats (not the quick kind) and I take 1/2 c almond milk or regular milk along with 1/2 c. plain yogurt. Mix it up in a bowl. Cover with a plate and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, I stir in a little honey, sucanat or maple syrup and some nuts and strawberries or whatever fruit I have on hand. Nuke it just a minute or so. Just enough to take the chill off and yum! It is so delicious like this. I will never make oatmeal any other way again. Try it!

(this makes one serving)

Edited by Faith
spelling

Use Steel cut oats and cook them this way to make them soft (not crunchy) without tasting like glue: put the oats in the cold salted water, bring the whole thing to a rolling boil. Turn it simmer, give it a few stirs to settle it down so it doesn't boil over, pop a lid on it, walk away for 15 minutes or longer. Perfect texture! Very, very easy. I usually take my shower while it cooks.

Best add ins? Fruit, brown sugar, whole milk or cream, butter. Yummy and very good for you too. :)

We make oatmeal surprise. Basically it's oatmeal made on the stovetop per the directions on the box, then I cut up fruit (usually strawberries or blueberries), add a tiny bit of sugar and a little bit of butter. The oatmeal is then spooned into the bowl on top of the fruit. The surprise is to leave the kids guessing what fruit is hiding under their oatmeal. It's super tasty and my kids love it.

The only way to make oatmeal yummy is to make oatmeal raisin cookies. :lol:

Seriously, I've tried on and off all of my life to like oatmeal. I've finally realized that for me, oatmeal is like liver. I will never like it. Ever. And I'm done trying.

I'm throwing this out there in case you try everything and someone in your household doesn't like it no matter what you do. There is that possibility.

The only way to make oatmeal yummy is to make oatmeal raisin cookies.

LOL That's exactly what I am doing right now :lol:

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure someone in the house will not like it, but I can't really expect them to eat it if I don't even like it! Hence the hunt for a good recipe :001_smile:

For old fashioned oats cooked on stovetop, I like to add cinnamon, ginger and agave nectar or maple syrup.

I will second the agave nectar...it's delicious. We also sometimes add applesauce, mashed bananas and nuts, or even mini chocolate chips and sliced strawberries (when I'm feeling nice :-)

Don't forget to add salt. :-)

We use pure maple syrup, sometimes molasses, and butter. No milk, as dds were lactose intolerant (butter didn't bother them).

We like adding bananas, chopped apples, or raisins. I'll be craisins would be good, too.

If you bring the water to a boil, then add the oatmeal, the consistency is different than when you put the oatmeal in the pan with the water at the same time. We like it both ways. :-)

There are other hot cerals on the market that y'all might like. Just sleuth around the cereal aisle.

I just wanted to throw this out there. Something that TN Mama told me about (that she found out about on this forum) is to take the old fashioned oatmeal and put it in a microwave safe bowl or mug and pour milk over it, enough to cover the oats plus a little more and let it soak overnight. The oats will absorb the milk, which is why you'd need a little more than "just covering the oats". The next morning, pop it in your microwave for about a minute - a minute and a half to heat it up, then add whatever you'd like to add to it (I add brown sugar and butter).

I know this sounds like it takes some planning ahead - and it does - but I have also discovered that if I give the oatmeal at least 10 minutes of soaking, it's still good. I prefer to let it soak 20-30 minutes at a minimum because the oats are a little bit softer, but there have been those rushed mornings where all I have is 10 min.

There are also crock pot recipes for cooking oatmeal overnight so that it's ready first thing without having to break out the pots and pans in the morning.

:iagree: better yet, soak it in plain yoghurt overnight.

If I forget to soak it I make it on the stove top. But I add the oatmeal to the water before it starts to boil. It get a bit more cooked I think and less individual cooked flakes. I do a 2:1 ratio 2 cups water to 1 cup non-instant oatmeal.

I also buy my oat meal in 50lb bags to cut down on costs.

Make some into granola too for a cold cereal. Sprinkle some of this on yoghurt.

My favorite way to eat oatmeal is:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

2 cups water

1/4 cup almonds ground in a food processor

1/4 cup honey

Grind the almonds and gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the water. Add the remaining ingredients and water and microwave about 4-5 minutes. Very tasty!! But since nuts and honey are pricey I'm not sure it will save you much money at the grocery.

Another idea: Make granola! It uses the same ingredients, and is a lot more palatable (I can't stand oatmeal). Then you have something similar to cold cereal, too. Someone once said it's more expensive than oatmeal, but I don't agree. I don't think it's any more expensive when you add in all the toppings (butter, milk, sugar) to the cost of the oatmeal.

I soak my oatmeal over night, but just in water or water with a tsp of yoghurt in it for the healthy bacteria- I don't use quickoats although dh always has them around because he likes to make porridge before bedtime.

I add a tsp of ghee or coconut oil, a pinch of sea salt, and I like either organic sultanas or goji berries, although I leave it out if I am making for the kids- they don't like them. I add milk for cooking in the morning- i dont like microwaves- I cook on the stove but it doesnt take long when its been soaked. A touch of cinnamon and/or cardamon. Maple syrup is a special treat (especially down here) but I might use golden syrup or agave syrup.

Blueberries and/or bananas.

Yum! Autumn here- time to get out the oats.

The key to good oat meal is to use good oats (never instant) and often times bulk bin oats are much better than Quaker Oats (which are only "fair).

Then use way less water than what Quaker suggests. Use too much water and the texture gets gummy and gluey. Cook in a heavy pan that distributes heat well and don't overcook (less water helps here too).

Once you get the texture right you don't need anything else to make it taste good (except maybe milk) and the potential adds like fruit or nuts are just gravy.

Bill

Our favorite oatmeal is baked oatmeal too. My recipe is similar to Mrs. Mungo's, and I grate apples into it as well (I just made a double batch and grated in three apples, probably could have used 1 more). It's awesome. We eat it hot the first morning, then snack on it for as long as it lasts afterward, cold or warm, with fruit, nuts, milk, yogurt, maple syrup, whatever on top (I love it with pecans!).

My MIL makes incredible stovetop oatmeal, and try as we might, we cannot seem to duplicate it. She makes it with milk, over a low flame as someone else suggested. She adds a bit of cinnamon, a bit of grated ginger, and a bit of grated lemon zest. It is heavenly, and I don't really like oatmeal as a rule.

You can also make oatmeal pancakes. These are awesome, and I add chopped apples to these too. I make a huge batch and then freeze the rest. They make great snacks throughout the day as well.

Good luck with your oatmeal experimentation!

I pretty much always make it on the stovetop. Even my oldest knows how to make it if I'm not around. Our got to is just adding in some brown sugar and maple syrup with a little almond milk. We do change it up a bit with brown sugar, peaches and cream. Strawberries and cream. Blueberries and cream. If we're feeling really extravagant (once a year) we do bananas foster with bananas, caramel sauce and cream. Sometimes we'll add in apples and cinnamon. Honestly, anything that is made in the instant packets can be made from scratch and it really is much yummier!