Menu

Sum it up if you can. THE MAIN reason you

Huh.....mine was for socializing! :tongue_smilie: I sure got a lot of socialization! And that academic stuff sure got in the way of my socializing! :lol:

Then I became a teacher so I could talk all I wanted and I could have a captive audience! :D

Dawn

The only time I ever got detention in school was for reading in class.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want the bother of getting them ready for the school bus.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: This made me laugh, and so true!

I missed my ds. He was in private school k-2, I missed him and he missed us. So now we spend everyday together having fun and learning.

I think I have different reasons for each kid

DS - We realized that he is not willing to stand up for himself and what he knows is right. I am bringing him home so that we can get his foundation shored up. Also, I volunteered in his 2nd grade classroom this year. He had a veteran teacher who had no idea how to deal with the disaster of a class she'd been given. DS couldn't learn because there were SO many behavioral issues going on all the time. (Last week she told them that they were the worst class she's ever had. :001_huh: DS just informed me that his teacher is retiring after this year.)

DD - she is not afraid to stand up for herself and has made me quite proud. I'm bringing her home to spare her from middle school drama and hormones. She's got her head on straight I don't need the other kids screwing her up. ;) I do feel bad that she won't be exposed to some of the wonderful teachers that we have in our school system though.

Well, my pat answer for anyone who asks has always been, "It's what we feel is best for our family right now."

But, after having my oldest in ps for the past year +, I'd say, "I've seen the other side, and I don't like it."

I love so many of the other responses here, too.

School is a waste of time when I can cover the same material with the most important result -- spending these precious, never to return, years with my children.

:iagree: Also, you can cover the same material in less time, leaving you more time with your children.

I spent 3 weeks with my son in his grade 1 class when his facilitator was away! With my eyes as big as saucers at the chaos that was grade 1, I took him home and started homeschooling mid year!:001_smile:

Angela

ds (10) HFA

ds (7) Aspie

Because private schools around here are either too expensive, or too religious, and the arts and sciences (along with other subjects) in local public schools are being ruthlessly carved out by drastic cuts.

Actually, we initially pulled him, due to a medical condition that caused excessive absences. However, we have elected not to return him to public school this fall, because he will be in the third grade, and that means TEKS, TEKS, TEKS. (I take a dim view of test-obsessed curricula.)

To put it simply, though, we want our son to have a liberal, worldly, well-rounded education, and that's just not easily found here in North Texas.

Edited by Aelwydd

Different for each kid.

Initially, support for son who was "failing" at school. That was the underlying motivation for homeschooling him right through to this year when he is at school.

For dd- social reasons. Peer group pressure. We wanted more influence on her peer group, on her- we felt we would lose her to her peers by age 10 if we didn't homeschool. As it was, it took quite a while to bring her heart back home, but eventually, it happened, and she developed a great social network.

Childhood.

That was definitely my main reason. I felt like she and I were both missing out on her childhood while she was in public school. Because of the amount of time she was there, the amount of homework she brought home from the youngest age on (and instead of enjoying my time with her late in the day, I had to play enforcer for the school while were were both tired and just wanted to relax or have fun), how boring and academic even Kindergarten had become, the fact that her K and 1st grade teachers in public school were taking her recess away frequently as punishment for talking too much in the classroom, but expecting her to sit at a desk all day long, the fact that every single day- even our time at home- had to revolve around school- bus schedules and homework and studying and forms and notes and phone calls and school shopping and "go to bed, it's a schoolnight," "no we can't, it's a schoolday" - all of it. I got so sick of it.

This led me to research homeschooling, which led me to also read about all the other benefits- how much better it could be academically and so on. And it has gone very well. And that first year I homeschooled, my mother sent me the newspaper clipping regarding standardized testing in our area and how HORRIBLE all the local schools had done- pretty much below state average across the board- and that was when I REALLY felt like, "Okay, I'm probably NOT going to screw her up because of this... I really don't think I can do worse than these schools are doing."

I've never looked back. I'll never send my son to school the way I did my daughter in those younger years.

And I DO feel like we've taken my kids' childhoods back. :)

It all started with not being able to find a good fit for Calvin in school. He is gifted but also has poor coordination. The school didn't know what to do with a child who was reading five years ahead of his age peers but couldn't form letters. He was an angry little boy who needed help.

Laura

Quirks.

DS has a lot of what we refer to as quirks that would lead to school being a miserable experience for him, IMO. Some may possibly point to atypical autism, some to ADHD, definitely some sensory issues but we just call him quirky. :D

Someone once told me he would be considered 2E - twice exceptional. Somewhat gifted but also has some issues.

I sensed during their 2nd and 3rd grade years they were being too influenced by a way of life that didn't agree with religious views. I also missed them and had a nagging feeling as I watched them walk into school each day. I feel much better now even though there is a whole new king of work and stress.

"It all started with not being able to find a good fit for Calvin in school. He is gifted but also has poor coordination. The school didn't know what to do with a child who was reading five years ahead of his age peers but couldn't form letters. He was an angry little boy who needed help." Laura Corin

What Laura Corin said! Only my son's handwriting was just sloppy and excruciatingly slow. One school refused to place him in the upper level reading group (which was still years behind his reading level) because he had so much trouble filling out the page-long book worksheets (this was 1st grade). They put him in a group that did little writing. The kids in it were emergent readers! Most of them were still sounding out words! When he became frustrated listening to them try to read, he'd tell them the word and loose recess privileges. When I found out and confronted the teacher, she said it was far more important that he learn the life skill of patience than be an advanced reader! Ds was being punished constantly for being a good reader and punished for being a poor writer! He was frustrated and angry all the time. No win situation.

I homeschool because all the teachers we encountered were incapable of seeing the forest for the trees.

The main reason now is because I don't want them to be like everyone else. In other words, I want them to have the time and the space to find out what makes them tick, what inspires them, and who they want to be; free from outside influence. To give them enough quiet to hear their own voices.

I do it because homeschooling kicks @ss?! :tongue_smilie:

On a more serious note, our motivations for homeschooling have evolved over the past 8 years. I would say the number one reason that we continue to homeschool is because our children are receiving a better education at home than they would at any of the schools that are available to us.

Plus...you know...about one hundred other reasons, too.

Because I believed they could get a better education.

I can adjust the curriculum to fit them. If something isn't working, I can find what does. I know what they are supposed to be learning and whether or not they are getting it. We can use materials that give them an interest in a subject instead of killing their joy for learning.

And, after all these years, I still believe it. With homeschooling you can make the education fit the child instead of trying to make the child fit the education.

Religious- I can't afford private school

Health- my son is immunocompromised

Academic- Not a fan of PS in my state (where we started) and another son with severe speech/language disorders but otherwise very bright

We continue because we love it!

We learned our son was ADHD and most of his "problems" are with the classroom environment/situation. Medication was to be our last resort, not our 1st therefore we started scrambling like mad to research HS. Decided it was the best for him. Since his big sister is bored and frustrated in the private school because she is not challenged, we decided to HS the whole family. We are holding are breath as the final days of private school countdown... our HS adventure is about to start.

Because at least in the elementary/middle grades I can do a better job - not only with academics but also with letting them really enjoy childhood. And my city holds endless resources, opportunities, and experiences that are in the real world (and we take advantage of as many of them as we can!). They can't get that walled up in a brick building for 7 hours a day.

Sorry, I just can't smoosh it into one reason. :D