Menu

Baby names (would like opinions, please)!

I know I have not been actively posting on this board in a while, but I do still visit. I am about to be 31 weeks pregnant and we are still waffling about names. I have never felt convicted on a name before and always let my husband give the kids their first names while I choose their middle names. This time I feel strongly about a certain name, though.

Anyhow...getting around to my question...there are two names below, one of which is my husband's pick and the other is my pick. Which do you like better? Our last name is 2 syllables, starting with a T.

Lorelei Simone T_____

Charlotte Genevieve T_____

I am positively swooning over Charlotte Genevieve.

I'm not sure how to pronounce the other one. Is it Lora LEE or Lora LIE? I think both are pretty but my hands-down fav is Charlotte. Although I'd do Genevieve Charlotte but then I'm not pregnant. :lol:

I vote for whichever is your pick! :D If he's picked the names every other time, he is VERY fortunate, and should be willing to let you have this one if you have a strong opinion about it! Neither of those names are strange or ugly, so it's not at all a matter of "but gee honey, you have terrible taste...." LOL

I vote for whichever is your pick! :D If he's picked the names every other time, he is VERY fortunate, and should be willing to let you have this one if you have a strong opinion about it!
:iagree:

As a mom of a "Charlotte" I can tell you that people we meet love her name. It is so feminine and classic, I just love it.

I know I have not been actively posting on this board in a while, but I do still visit. I am about to be 31 weeks pregnant and we are still waffling about names. I have never felt convicted on a name before and always let my husband give the kids their first names while I choose their middle names. This time I feel strongly about a certain name, though.

Anyhow...getting around to my question...there are two names below, one of which is my husband's pick and the other is my pick. Which do you like better? Our last name is 2 syllables, starting with a T.

Lorelei Simone T_____

They are both VERY cute. If I HAD to pick one, it would be Charlotte. I may be biased though, I have a Charlotte.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Lorelai. But there's nothing wrong with either one of those names so I agree with those who said that it should be your turn, period! :)

:iagree: But I would spell it Lorelei. :)

If it matters at all to you, Charlotte is becoming quite popular. It has been increasing in popularity every year, and in 2010 it rose to the 45th most popular name in the US.

Lorelei has been getting ever so slightly more popular, but it's still sitting in the mid 500s.

Lorelei Simone T_____

I love Lorelei!

As a mom of a "Charlotte" I can tell you that people we meet love her name. It is so feminine and classic, I just love it.

:iagree:I'm a teensy bit biased towards Charlotte because I have one, but I love Lorelei, too. It's unusual and interesting, and I think it goes better with a "T" last name since Charlotte ends with a "t" sound.

Lorelei Simone T_____

My DD2's name is Lorelei so I am partial to that. Also, I know 5 little girls under the age of 3 with the name Charlotte so it is too popular for me.

I vote for whichever is your pick! :D If he's picked the names every other time, he is VERY fortunate, and should be willing to let you have this one if you have a strong opinion about it! Neither of those names are strange or ugly, so it's not at all a matter of "but gee honey, you have terrible taste...." LOL

I like Lorelei though. Especially if your last name is common.

Wow. I really like both names. Lovely names! I would go with Lorelei so that the /t/ sound at the end of Charlotte does not run into the /t/ sound at the beginning of your name. But they are both beautiful names.

Tara

I vote for whichever is your pick! :D If he's picked the names every other time, he is VERY fortunate, and should be willing to let you have this one if you have a strong opinion about it!
:iagree: Go with YOUR choice this time, they're both beautiful names!

I'm not wild about Lorilei. I like the name, but I would suspect that people would call the baby "Lori" which I would not like as much (nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't have the old fashioned, feminine sound I think you want).

Charlotte is pretty but very popular right now.

These are both lovely names and either would be fine, but I really like Simone.

I love both names! I'm thinking that Charlotte maybe goes a little better with you other kids' names, but either would be fine.

As other's have said, it's your turn - whichever one is your pick, go with that one.

Veronica

p.s. We considered both Charlotte and Lorelai with our last baby, but ended up going with Olivia - all were top contenders!

I like Charlotte. Lorelei would get mispronounced and spelled wrong her entire life, unless she moves to Germany!

(written by someone whose name has been said and spelled wrong her entire life, and it's nowhere near as unusual as Lorelei!)

But feel free to ignore me. My dh and I always had to agree on the name. If we both didn't feel it was right, we kept thinking until we found one we did both like.

About popular names:

I think the popularity of classic names is very different from the popularity of a name that suddenly hits the lists because of a celebrity or soap opera character. A "flash-in-the-pan" name that says, "I was born in 2011."

For instance, "Emily" and "Sophia" are in the top 10, but I knew the names from my childhood/college. And I suspect my mother and my grandmother also knew girls with those names.

They may be more popular now, but the names aren't "dated."

Sorry for rambling. Names are some of my very favorite things to think about. Guess I need to get on my Great American Novel so I can use some more of my favorites! :D