Menu

Does it matter to you if a curriculum developer doesn't have a college degree?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the curriculum was recommended by people I respected and it seemed like it would work for us, then I'd probably not even think to check, honestly. But I rarely follow a curriculum exactly as written and my background is in education, so I would feel comfortable adjusting anything I felt iffy about using. In elementary school, I'd assume I could identify any potential problems and make necessary changes.

If we were talking about a high school level course, though, and a subject I'm not particularly knowledgeable (like math or science), then I'd probably be more interested in making sure the curriculum developer had an academic background in the field, and preferably teaching experience in that subject, as well (either as a homeschooling parent or in a traditional classroom). I would be much less confident about my own ability to assess and tweak the material.

There are people with PhDs who I think are total crackpots, and people with little formal education who are experts. And there are people with degrees who use their degree to lend unmerited weight to their personal pet theory.

If I had absolutely no information about the curriculum other than the author's credentials, then their education would be a factor I'd look at.

If the curriculum has been widely positively reviewed by sources that I consider educated and trustworthy, then I'm not likely to pay close attention to the education of the author.

I would definitely not use the author's education as my sole criteria for choosing a curriculum.

I will be bold and say yes. Not only it matters to me that the materials are written by somebody with a degree, but usually by somebody with a degree in that (or at least related) field. That is that fine point between an amateur - even a good one! - and an expert... and while there are, sadly, many lousy experts with fancy credentials, most of the time I still prefer somebody "backed up" with a formal background in what they write about, reviews from people in the field, recommendations by people I know who are tied to the field, etc.

Same thing when it comes to my children's tutors, I want them to be taught their outsourced areas by people with academic degrees in what they teach, usually with positive recommendations from other people too.

I don't know the educational background of any of the curriculum developers I use. I do know that their material is well written and has a good reputation for being accurate.

Ditto. I have NEVER checked to see if any of the curriculum I buy is written by people with degrees. I bet I'm in the overwhelming majority on this.

For higher maths and sciences, yes, I really do prefer someone who has a higher degree. Maybe that is because I feel insecure in those subjects.

The bigger indicator for me than even a degree is how successful the curriculum provider has been at educating their own children and first-hand accounts of how students who have used the curriculum have excelled.

For me that is the bottom line. Does it work?

Edited by Daisy

I don't know the educational background of any of the curriculum developers I use. I do know that their material is well written and has a good reputation for being accurate.

I do look at educational backgrounds, but like Jean, I want a reputation for accuracy and good, solid, grammatically correct writing that hopefully is engaging. There is a particular board member that comes to mind who does not have a college education, yet I am routinely stunned by her creativity, general level of knowledge, and her old-soul wisdom. She is an excellent writer and I would buy curriculum from her in a heartbeat because I suspect she would be able to engage my child in a higher level of thinking. Then there are a couple of folks with their doctorates IRL that couldn't explain how to make a pbj to an 8 yo to save their lives.

For a high school student, I look at the type of teaching done, where it was done, and how long.

I think it depends. *I* don't have a college degree and I feel there are some curriculum I could have written, and some I have considered. I do believe one should be very knowledgeable about what they are writing. In some cases that could happen without a degree.

In the case of languages, maths, and upper level classes, I would expect a higher level of knowledge, probably from a degree in the field.

I know plenty of boneheads with lots of degrees, and I know many brilliant people who have always been autodidacts, and for whom a typical ("college") education would have killed their souls.

As a general group who values education, yet goes about attaining it for our children in unconventional ways, I would think most of us should say no, it doesn't matter. Each piece of curriculum should be judged by its own particular merit.

I don't mind it though, especially in the quirky things I seem to choose, but it is by no means something I think I have ever consciously thought about. I will say this, it makes a BIG difference to me if someone has a PhD in the particular field (ie Quantum Mechanics), but if it is in Education, I think it might make me run away after throwing the book into a storm drain.:D

But really, NO.

If the writing and ideas are bad, it doesn't matter who wrote it. If they are great, the same goes in the opposite direction.

I will be bold and say yes. Not only it matters to me that the materials are written by somebody with a degree, but usually by somebody with a degree in that (or at least related) field. That is that fine point between an amateur - even a good one! - and an expert... and while there are, sadly, many lousy experts with fancy credentials, most of the time I still prefer somebody "backed up" with a formal background in what they write about, reviews from people in the field, recommendations by people I know who are tied to the field, etc.

Same thing when it comes to my children's tutors, I want them to be taught their outsourced areas by people with academic degrees in what they teach, usually with positive recommendations from other people too.

:iagree:

It would depend on a lot of things. The subject, the levels, and the general reputation come to mind. But... if it came down to two I really loved, and one was written by a degreed professional and one was not, or one had a degree in that particular field and the other had a degree, but in an unrelated field, I'd go with the degree.

Doesn't matter to me where the author of any given curriculum learned their material, as long as they know what they're talking about. As a college-educated person myself, I've seen just how many people manage to complete undergraduate and even graduate programs knowing almost nothing about their field.

In college, you memorize what you need for the test, pass the test, then empty your brain for the next chapter. You have to, for the most part, to cover the amount of necessary material in such a limited time frame.

Someone who learns on their own is studying something because they love it, and they're probably going to take their time and really learn the material in depth.

So no, I certainly don't require college degrees from curriculum authors.

Doesn't matter to me where the author of any given curriculum learned their material, as long as they know what they're talking about. As a college-educated person myself, I've seen just how many people manage to complete undergraduate and even graduate programs knowing almost nothing about their field.

In college, you memorize what you need for the test, pass the test, then empty your brain for the next chapter. You have to, for the most part, to cover the amount of necessary material in such a limited time frame.

Someone who learns on their own is studying something because they love it, and they're probably going to take their time and really learn the material in depth.

So no, I certainly don't require college degrees from curriculum authors.

Good point

How would I know if a curriculum developer has a college degree? The Singapore company, for example: I assume it hires people with college degrees to write the books, but maybe it doesn't, I don't know! And I'm not going to bother to investigate.

I think that people who tout themselves as experts tend to mention their degrees (if they have them) in their bio or put "Ph.D." or other initials after their name. This makes it easy to spot the ones that do have degrees. The ones who don't -- well, they probably wouldn't say so, they'd just talk about the fabulous product and present recommendations from happy customers, and would anybody even notice the omission?

I absolutely do not care a whit about their academic credentials if I am picking the curriculum based on info I have gathered, reviews, etc. The one caveat would possibly be science since I am not knowledgeable in science. I would be much more likely to care about a science-literate friend's recommendation, rather than the author's degree.

Personally, I think that is one of the major problems in the American public education system today. The idea that a college degree qualifies a teacher. Grrr

A college degree means you finished something. It is a good indicator of perseverance. That's all.

Lisa j

Would like to hear your thoughts....

:):lurk5:

It doesn't matter to me. I don't think I've ever bothered to look into the credentials of a curriculum developer. I evaluate curriculum for what it is. I've seen very poor curriculum written by Ph.Ds before, so a degree does not weigh much in my decision to purchase or not to purchase any particular homeschool curriculum.

No, it is not important to me. I choose curriculum based on track record of success and recommendations from seasoned homeschoolers with similar goals to my own. I've never really thought about it, but I suppose I make an assumption that most curricula which stand the test of time and flourish in the competitive world of homeschooling are probably written by people with college degrees. I'm sure this is not universally true and wouldn't hinder me using it if this were not the case.

I have to agree with Ester Maria on this one.

I worked on a statewide committee for our state history textbook. I learned a lot as a schoolteacher from that experience.

I confess I do check the bio of the person who creates curriculum. Which is why I found WTM and this site. I have been burned too many times buying curriculum from certain companies that lack credentials and was very disappointed.

I see nothing wrong with having a great idea and sharing it. Or going forth and trying to publish it for the market. But folks like myself will not purchase from a publisher or author that doesn't have some experience or credentials in the field they are saying they know about. Buyer beware.

For high school texts and curr, yes, it matters to me. What matters MORE is that the authors have actually hsed their children, through high school. I won't use a popular curr because of that very thing.

I tend to be skeptical of popular hsing curriculum that others tell me about. I find that what fits one child will not fit another. Which is probably why I veer away from hsing curriculum for that reason. I tend to use publishers and companies that I have used from my old days of teaching.

One publisher for math aims at the special education market and I love them for elementary and junior high grades -- and they are on the same level like Saxon Math. The school I taught at used Saxon Math. I thought for sure my son would do fine with Saxon (I loved it) but it was not a good fit (he hated it). Fortunately, I remembered that small company I used as a special ed teacher for an individual student book for $13. Son loved the math book! I was happy as it was the same as Saxon Math. But if you ask many homeschoolers, they have NEVER heard of the publisher.

As a general group who values education, yet goes about attaining it for our children in unconventional ways, I would think most of us should say no, it doesn't matter. Each piece of curriculum should be judged by its own particular merit.

I'm quite surprised by a lot of the replies here.

I of course learned a lot in college and I consider myself fairly well educated in my field. However, I have learned SO much since then. I have learned through classes that I took at the community college just because I was interested, and I like taking classes. I have learned through personal research, just reading. I have learned through homeschooling my children. I guess, given how much I have learned on my own after finishing my degree, I would have a problem with someone saying that just because my degree is in X and not Y, that means I obviously know a lot about X but couldn't possibly know just as much about Y. Furthermore, if I felt compelled to write a curriculum on a particular subject about which I had learned after having graduated, I would go out of my way to learn yet more, before doing so and while in the process.

Of course, I can't guarantee that every curriculum writer is careful and thorough, but I just don't think not having a degree in something means you haven't learned much about it.

I'm quite surprised by a lot of the replies here.

I know. I think it is a bit weird. :001_huh:

I think about all the threads where people get their panties in a bunch over a "real/certified/official" High school diploma being the only acceptable form of diploma for XYZ. How is this different? Just curious.

Again, I contend that getting an advanced college degree, while admirable (and absolutely necessary for certain fields), does not have any real bearing on a person's skill, expertise, or knowledge in a certain area. Academia is filled with petty dictators who rule their departments with an iron fist. If you don't agree with the teacher, you don't get a good grade. If you don't kiss the bottom, and stroke the ego, you don't get the support you need to get the thesis/defense finished. You don't get the good spots in programs.

I keep thinking of all the people in history whose interests fueled their work, not their height of academic success.

We are, as homeschoolers, by very definition saying to the educational establishment.... we do not agree with the way you do things. We feel that as parents, we can make better educational choices for our specific children than the "system" can make for general children. We think we can teach our kids in a better way than a person with a degree in teaching, who has jumped through whatever hoops....etc. Why does that thinking stop at a book?

The point I am trying to make is that while we are able to choose our materials individually, by whatever standards we adhere to, I don't understand how someone can dismiss products simply based on the completion of the ultimate "academic establishment" title, by its author.

I don't know why, but this is really rubbing me the wrong way. :tongue_smilie:

However, I do think that as each HSer can have whatever standard and make whatever choices they want. That is the beauty of the whole thing. We are individuals, making decisions only for our tiny home school... they only effect us.

Edited by radiobrain

I not only want training in their field, I want to see experience in teaching as well, and I always look for a passion for the field. It doesn't have to be a college degree, but I want to see evidence of comparable education in the area. "I taught my children this subject once" doesn't cut it for me.

I think many homeschool parents don't know enough about every subject themselves to be able to judge as they go through it whether the material is correct or not. That should be all the more reason to check into the author. The fact that a lot of other homeschoolers use it doesn't persuade me.

Edited by angela in ohio

I tend to be skeptical of popular hsing curriculum that others tell me about. I find that what fits one child will not fit another. Which is probably why I veer away from hsing curriculum for that reason. I tend to use publishers and companies that I have used from my old days of teaching.

One publisher for math aims at the special education market and I love them for elementary and junior high grades -- and they are on the same level like Saxon Math. The school I taught at used Saxon Math. I thought for sure my son would do fine with Saxon (I loved it) but it was not a good fit (he hated it). Fortunately, I remembered that small company I used as a special ed teacher for an individual student book for $13. Son loved the math book! I was happy as it was the same as Saxon Math. But if you ask many homeschoolers, they have NEVER heard of the publisher.

What publisher is this? I am always looking for curriculum for my special needs dd!!!

fyi-no coffee yet this AM.;).....

i have thoroughly enjoyed the varied and thoughtful replies here!

reading each one, I found myself agreeing with those that have said yes *and* no.:)

honestly, this question came to mind when-

1) i was comparing the *very* different opinions of(Dr.) Ruth Beechick and the Mennonite publishers (that so many of us use ) when it comes to learning LA.

2)a veteran hsing mom- dc ranging in age of 8-23, said she would never use a curriculum that had not been tested in an educational setting other than hsing.

thanks for the replies-and do keep them coming!:grouphug:

eta-obviously this mom hasn't read the story of the Colfaxes(sp?) (?) or just doesn't feel comfortable going about hsing in such a different way...

Edited by smilesonly

It matters to me because I know that I learned so much more about my field in graduate school. Whereas I wrote a few major research papers as a junior/senior in college, I was expected to write 3-4 much more extensive papers each semester while I was in coursework--so my research skills and my knowledge of scholarship in the field dramatically improved. The exams I had to pass in my doctoral program were much, much more demanding than any comprehensive exams I took as an undergrad, and I a) filled in gaps from my undergrad education and b) went more in-depth in a lot of areas where I might have just gotten a lecture or two in college. You need this kind of knowledge to formulate a dissertation--several hundred pages of original research (at least in the humanities, where I was). And, seriously, it takes reading a ton to specialize in an area and really know it.

Does it mean that someone with a PhD can write well for a younger audience? Not necessarily, but at the very least, I have a sense that the person knows the field well. Can one attain this kind of knowledge without an advanced degree? It's certainly possible, but most people do not have university libraries (comparatively speaking, public libraries have very few academic volumes) or the guidance of professors, who help you approach scholarly material more critically. Of course, I don't think very highly of some degrees (Ed. doctorates hold much less weight for me than PhDs), and there are certainly people with PhDs who are idiots, not to mention that some currently popular research areas are ones that I consider a total waste of time.

Of course, this probably explains why none of the curricula in my area measure up to my expectations (and I'll probably end up doing something on my own).

I like degrees (I've got one), but I also like experience in the field. I used to follow a homeschool philosophy outlined by "Dr." So-and-so. I abandoned the method due to the lackluster results I was seeing in my own and other people's children. Later I discovered that only his bachelor's degree was valid. His masters and PhD were both from diploma mills. He still claims them, though, and people believe his false credentials. When he wrote his book, his children were not very old. Lack of education and lack of experience really aren't a good combination when you're suggesting some pretty radical and untested educational ideas....

Anyway. I love that SWB has a real PhD from a real (and respected) institution AND she has real life experience. :)

I

Does it mean that someone with a PhD can write well for a younger audience? Not necessarily, but at the very least, I have a sense that the person knows the field well. Can one attain this kind of knowledge without an advanced degree? It's certainly possible, but most people do not have university libraries (comparatively speaking, public libraries have very few academic volumes) or the guidance of professors, who help you approach scholarly material more critically.

After being a high school dropout with no Alg II or Trig at all, I decided to face my math phobia and take Alg I at the local JuCo. The teacher came right out and told us he was only going to use the text for examples, we were to take notes and learn from the lectures/meet with him in his office. He also said he did not have anything past a Bac in Math, but, he added, "I am not a mathematician, I am a math teacher." And man, was he. He was SO clear, SO paced, really picked up on his audience's level of understanding, etc. etc. After the class was finished, I asked him about how he ended up at this little JuCo doing this, and he said he'd rather be a big fish in a little pond than vice versa. His class was full every quarter.

Think of what I'd have missed if I seen that lack of a Master's and passed him over.

I fail to see how a lack of an advanced degree is going to significantly hobble an intelligent, diligent text-writer for 10 year olds, and in fact, the "distance" between the heavily-degreed and little old mum here trying to implement might just be great enough to cause misunderstanding. Call me a Liping Ma-drone, who sees the benefit of "profound understanding" of the basics over the advanced degree. :)