Menu

Advice please on Sienna or Odyssey

I'm about to buy either a 1999 Toyota Sienna or a 1999 Honda Odyssey. I haven't decided which. Both have about 160-170k miles and I've been researching these 2 vehicles for hours and hours.

Here are the vehicles:

99 Sienna: brand new transmission, new tires, new water pump, service shop bought it to resell

99 Odyssey: One owner, all service records, seller selling to upgrade

These are the problems I've read about on the models:

Sienna: engine sludge aka "gelling", goes through tires fast, alignment issues, brake problems

Odyssey: notorious for bad transmission, door sticking problems, brake problems

Which would be better to buy? They're both the same $$$.

Edited by jadedone80

Odyssey.

We were in pretty much the same position and the Odyssey edged Sienna out [older models that is] for comfort and ride.

Plus, my dsil was in an accident that left her Oddysey completely totaled, but no injuries.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. :D

Okay, so here I am with my story.

My dd32 and her dh have a brand new Odyssey -- I have driven it alot and I really like it. So much so, that we had decided to get a brand new Odyssey within the next few weeks as we are down to one vehicle since the lease on the Hummer was up and with the price of gas, we decided to turn it in rather than purchase it. :crying:

We are renting a Sienna for the past four days (it gets returned tomorrow) as we had to drive to new york city and we needed enough seating to return with my mom as a passenger in addition to the three kids and we were fortunate that the rental agency had a mini-van.

It is a 2011 -- I drove it from Va to nyc. I loved it. I found it to be 'heavier' and more stable than the Odyssey. And, I loved driving my daughter's Odyssey, but the Sienna felt more substantial.

We will likely buy a pre-owned one. For me, it would come down to which drove better (and for me that would be ease of handling, and the feeling of weight without being draggy) and the reliability records.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Reading the history of the two vehicles you are looking at, I would choose the Odyssey.

I'm about to buy either a 1999 Toyota Sienna or a 1999 Honda Odyssey. I haven't decided which. Both have about 160-170k miles and I've been researching these 2 vehicles for hours and hours.

Here are the vehicles:

99 Sienna: brand new transmission, new tires, new water pump, service shop bought it to resell

99 Odyssey: One owner, all service records, seller selling to upgrade

These are the problems I've read about on the models:

Sienna: engine sludge aka "gelling", goes through tires fast, alignment issues, brake problems

Odyssey: notorious for bad transmission, door sticking problems, brake problems

Which would be better to buy? They're both the same $$$.

Loved my 2000 Odyssey but we went through 4 transmissions! Just traded it for a Toyota Highlander.

I recently upgraded my 2000 Sienna for a 2011 Sienna. It was a very reliable vehicle. It had 165,000 miles on it and the only thing we had to replace over six years of ownership was the battery. My old Sienna was not as roomy as Siennas are now, but our family of 7 was still able to take it on week-long vacations with all the luggage fitting in the "trunk" space (I purposely packed to fit). I'm sure our 2000 Sienna will run for years yet. I gave it to a friend who had no car at all. So far so good. :)

ETA: I guess we did replace the tires once, too.

We compared both a few years ago and the Odyssey won hands down. It had a much better turning radius, was easier to park, a more comfortable ride, and better dealer support.

Our Odyssey is still going strong and we still love that van. We like it so much, we've even discussed replacing it with a new model in a year or so.

For that year, I would vote Odyssey hands down. If you were looking at 2004 or newer, after the new Toyota model came out, I'd be leaning the other way but IME the Odysseys are roomier and a nicer ride than the older Toyotas. Even with it being a bit more money, I'd get the Odyssey, especially with the histories you shared.

We have a 2004 Sienna that we've only had for 2 months, so I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it. What we thought was minor accident damage to our old van (2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette) ended up with the insurance company totaling it. We knew the features we wanted, knew what our price range was, and knew what car makers we didn't want. We found the Sienna after a full weekend of car shopping. It's loaded with features (not a requirement in our search, but a bonus).

I like the feel of the Sienna. It feels sturdy. It has a great turning radius. It's very comfortable (the longest ride we've taken it on so far is a 3 hour drive to the other coast of Florida). But...and there's always a but, right? 2004 is apparently the year they changed some things about the Sienna. If you're looking at a 1999, it could be an almost different vehicle than the one I have, so I'm not sure my vote for the Sienna will help you.

all things being equal, pick the one with the better ride. our 2005 ody has a turning radius so tight that it is better than our small car, it's just incredible how nimble it is. in test rides, the sienna and dodge did not come close. not sure about 1999. however I would be leary of anything owned and repaired by a shop for resale though, unless you really trust the guys.

We have a 99 Sienna, and it's been a good vehicle for us. My only complaint is that the door and rear hatch handles are very poorly made, and we had to replace two of them because they broke during normal use. I've heard similar complaints from other older-model Sienna owners.

For that year, I would vote Odyssey hands down. If you were looking at 2004 or newer, after the new Toyota model came out, I'd be leaning the other way but IME the Odysseys are roomier and a nicer ride than the older Toyotas. Even with it being a bit more money, I'd get the Odyssey, especially with the histories you shared.

I agree with this. 1999 is before the Sienna was remade to be bigger, so the older Siennas are so much smaller than the Ody of the same era (and I believe 1999 was the first year of the bigger Ody). We have a 2000 Ody, which has almost 170,000 miles on it and is still going strong. We also have a 2007 Sienna, which I love, but like I said before, it is redesigned and bigger than the old-style Sienna.

With our Sienna... we use the premium (best one) gas... because of problems right around the one year mark... with chugging. It's really not much price difference gas wise, because it runs better on higher octane... (That's what it's called, right??) We got Sienna over Odyssey because... I wanted 8 seats and I liked the toyota guy better. If I had to do it again.. for that model... (2004??) I would purchase an Odyssey. So, I guess it's all about years..

We have a 99 Sienna, and it's been a good vehicle for us. My only complaint is that the door and rear hatch handles are very poorly made, and we had to replace two of them because they broke during normal use. I've heard similar complaints from other older-model Sienna owners.

Another 99 Sienna, and both of our passenger door handles have fallen off. But aside from that, we have no complaints. Nearly 190,000 miles, and no really major problems (a couple of leaks. Oh, and we've replaced the starter twice, but I suspect it wasn't done properly the first time we replaced it). I plan to buy another Sienna whenever this one finally gives out on us.

Our 2006 Sienna is the best vehicle we've ever owned. It was a year old when we bought it. We have never had any issues with it . . . the only money we've spent was regular maintenance . . . i.e. oil change. We often travel long distances with 3 teens and two dogs (now three). And, it handles great in snow (important in my neck of the woods).

I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples with what you're describing but that's been our experience with Toyota.

I never followed up with my Odyssey question I had back in Sept. We ended up buying the 2004 Odyssey which now has over 90,000 miles on it. It really is a nice vehicle, but it helps that it had great care before we got it. The power doors do sometimes not close. I think the sensor might be dirty. The biggest problem we've had is that the cruise control quit working. I am hoping it just blew a fuse.

Unfortunately, we don't have a garage so it just had its first hard winter of snow and mud. That's why we don't buy newer vehicles (plus we just cannot afford them).

The power doors do sometimes not close. I think the sensor might be dirty.

We used to have this problem sometimes, back when we drove the Ody all the time, and there were sticky little hands all over the sensors! I read on some forum to rub an eraser (like on the end of a pencil--nothing special) over the sensor parts to clean them. I would do this, and the door would work fine again (for awhile anyway, LOL). Now that my dh primarily drives the Ody, we never have that problem anymore! Hmmmm . . .

I haven't read all the replies, but I'm going to vote sienna. We were in the same boat last summer and looked at SO many 00-02 Odesseys and 00-02 Siennas. From what I learned from research and reviews is that during those years, the sienna edges out the Odesseys. By 2003, the odyssey started taking the lead. We've had our 01 sienna for 8 months, and I love it! No problems, only routine maintenance.

We have a 2003 Sienna and love it. I'd buy it again. The only time I'm unhappy with it is when it is dirty and needs to be vacuumed. Otherwise, it is an awesome car. We were trying to choose between the Odessey and the Sienna when we were car shopping and chose the Sienna because the seats were much more comfortable. Softer and more lumbar support.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I had an 01 Oddessey. I loved it. There was nothing fancy about it, but it was comfy. When we first got it (used) we had to have the transmission replaced but it was luckily still under warrenty. Once replaced, we didn't have any other problems. Our doors did stick. We snapped off several handles beause of it and we learned to just open the front door and use the side doors inside handles to open it.

I was in an accident in Feb. Slid off the highway when I hit a patch of ice and hit a tree. I had 3 of my 4 children in the car with me and we hit the tree on the driver side, side door where my infant sits. It shattered the glass but that was all and we all walked away without even a scratch. Our van was totalled though. We looked high and low fsor another Odyssey but there were absolutely none in our area (or Sienna's for that matter) and as much as I would have loved to stick with Honda (due to the safety fact), the only thing available was a Sienna (which I know is also a very safe van).

Our Sienna is an 05 and so I don't think it is fair to compare it to a 99 Sienna. But we did love our Honda. If you are stuck between the 2, I would go for the one that is mechanically best. Doors sticking are a moot point to me. Unconvenient yes, but if it is dependable I can deal with that!

We researched vans last April. It seems that the general consensus was six one way, half dozen the other. They are both well made vans.

I would chose the one with the best known history and that felt comfortable to me and my family. Pay close attention to interior space and remember that your kids will be growing. :)

When all was said and done we bought a 2007 Odyssey and love it. But I bet I would've love the Sienna too.

Happy Hunting!

Back in 2001 we we purchasing new. My husband did the test driving and I rode in the back seat (we had very young kids and knew that on long trips I would end up there.) My husband thought either drove fine but I found the back seat on the Sienna to be extremely uncomfortable for an adult (they were probably fine for kids) because no matter how I adjusted the middle row of seats my knees kept banging them and it seemed there was no where for my feet. So we got the Odyssey. We have been very happy with it. We had a belt break within the 1st month and they replaced it under warranty and we've never had another problem with it since. We'd love to upgrade our Odyssey to the 8 passenger one but we can't afford it right now. We also own a Town and Country but we don't like it very much. Replacement of either one will be an Odyssey when the time comes.

I have owned a 2000 Sienna, and a 2006 Odyssey. Both wonderful and you can research all day and night, my favorites at Edmunds, and Consumer Reports.

After huge, long research, I came down to simple differences: Odysseys are supposed to be a better driving experience and more responsive, and the Sienna is looser steering and less cool/fun of a driving experience. The other way to read this is that the Odyssey is a little bumpier with more road noise, and the Sienna smoother ride, quieter cabin. I love, love that model of Sienna, its on a Camry platform and is comfy and wonderfully versatile. Even without the fold-flat seat. Then I shopped for a newer redesign of Sienna or Odyssey. I could get more car in the Odyssey, because it was a bit less popular, and its been an incredible vehicle. My kids are very tall, and this model of Odyssey has a bit more room in the thirdr row, than any other....Edmunds seems to often like Odyssey better, and CR seems to usually love Siennas. Maybe Odysseys are more yuppy in the southern town I'm from? Maybe the Toyotas are a cooler thing where I'm from now. I like Toyotas better, usually, cause I think their instrumentation makes sense to me, or maybe I'm just used to it.

Either way both vehicles are great ones. Flip a coin?

Before buying any car, I take it to a mechanic. My husband is really good with cars, but a pro going over it, is worth the $50-$100. I go to a dealership for this. They have never steered me wrong.

Good luck.

I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey. I love it. It has 146k miles on it. Recently it has had some maintenance required, but all routine stuff. One problem: the door motors have failed on one side and the other door won't close completely on its own so I have to give it a bump with my hip to close it completely. But, that is a completely random thing that I think my kids caused by trying to open the door too many times at the same time I was already pushing the button to open the door...long story. My Honda runs like it's new and still has lots of life. The service manager at the place we take our van to be serviced says it is one of the most reliable model years of the Odyssey. I have been looking for another vehicle recently because I am ready to not drive a van anymore and I really would like something that gets better mileage, but for a van, it is the best thing going in my opinion.

I have driven a Toyota Sienna (a few years ago when I had to have the front end of my van fixed after an accident) and I didn't like it.

Jennifer

I agree with this. 1999 is before the Sienna was remade to be bigger, so the older Siennas are so much smaller than the Ody of the same era (and I believe 1999 was the first year of the bigger Ody). We have a 2000 Ody, which has almost 170,000 miles on it and is still going strong. We also have a 2007 Sienna, which I love, but like I said before, it is redesigned and bigger than the old-style Sienna.

:iagree:I agree with every word of this. We just bought an '07 Sienna to replace our '01 Sienna, and by comparison, it is HUGE! A friend has an Odyssey of a similar age, and there is more space in the Sienna, especially in the middle row.

I have to redeem our Odyssey's reputation. I said our cruise control quit working. Well, this thread reminded me that we needed to get that checked out before we go on vacation next month. I am soooo glad I googled for ideas before we took it somewhere. Come to find out, there is a master cruise control switch on the dashboard that must have been accidentally pushed to off. So whatever you get, make sure you look at the operators manual. I cannot believe how long I have been driving without it.

Control-wise, everything in this Odyssey is opposite to our old Town and Country. Even after 7 months, I still keep turning on the window spray when I go to adjust the high beams.

I never followed up with my Odyssey question I had back in Sept. We ended up buying the 2004 Odyssey which now has over 90' date='000 miles on it. It really is a nice vehicle, but it helps that it had great care before we got it. The power doors do sometimes not close. I think the sensor might be dirty. The biggest problem we've had is that the cruise control quit working. I am hoping it just blew a fuse.

Unfortunately, we don't have a garage so it just had its first hard winter of snow and mud. That's why we don't buy newer vehicles (plus we just cannot afford them).[/quote']

We just bought an '07 Sienna to replace our '01 Sienna, and by comparison, it is HUGE! A friend has an Odyssey of a similar age, and there is more space in the Sienna, especially in the middle row.
:iagree: We bought a 98 Sienna new. There was less room, but GREAT gas mileage! That may be something to consider these days! My brother was saying how great his car was (don't remember what it was now), and said (teasingly) he pitied me for having a van, so therefore bad gas mileage! WRONG! Our van got the same gas mileage as his car, and he was shocked to hear that! :001_smile: Also, we NEVER had problems with the van, other than routine maintenance. I LOVED that van!

We were in a fender bender 2 years ago that messed up the front end pretty badly. None of the 4 of us inside our van at that time were injured at all! We were thankful for that! The damage was enough that, since the van was 11 years old, the insurance totalled the vehicle. :001_huh: I actually cried cuz I loved it so much!

There was absolutely no question when we had to look for another vehicle, we knew we would get a Sienna, since our other one had been so reliable! We ended up with a 2007 Sieanna, and love it too! It's huge compared to the 98, but it has the fold down seats and holds 8. Therefore it's wider and heavier, and we no longer get such great gas mileage! But we still love it! :001_smile: I vote Sienna! :D

Really, I am quite sure Odysseys are great too. It seems that once you have one of them, you love it and want to stick with it. Both have good records (I didn't know that about Ody's transmissions! We never had problems with the 97 Sienna!) overall, very minor problems, it seems. So, I agree with what the others said---- Have a mechanic check them out, then go with the one that is in the best shape!

Best wishes! Let us know what you decide!