Menu

Female issue: Waiting to miscarry

I announced that we were expecting number six a couple weeks ago, but now it seems that isn't meant to be. :(

I had a tiny bit of spotting two days ago along with one sharp pain in my ovary area. The Dr. wasn't concerned about the spotting so much as he was the pain. So they fit me in to do an ultrasound.

The spotting had never returned after that one incident the day before so I wasn't overly concerned. I hadn't been having any cramping.

Unfortunately the ultrasound showed a tiny baby, about a week less then I should be. Although I know that ultrasound machines can been +/- 5 days off which would still put me in an acceptable range for okay. However the Dr. said he still would have expected a heartbeat. According to my dates (I was charting my cycles so I know when I ovulated and when I got my first positive preg. test) I should be just over 7 weeks (like 7 weeks and 1 or 2 days). The u/s showed a little embryo just under 6 weeks. The Dr. also said he would have expected to see a heartbeat. Although just under 6 weeks seems like a gray area for seeing a heartbeat or not, its so very early. The Dr. said he wasn't very optimistic.

Then my spotting returned a few hours after my appt. and turned into red bleeding. It still wasn't a great deal - I'd call it light.

This morning the red bleeding has stopped once again and I haven't had any cramping still yet.

Has anyone gone through such a thing and it turned out okay? I found a whole message board of stories like this, and even more bleak, and a week or two later the baby was found with a heartbeat and bigger.

I really don't have much hope that things are okay, and am just waiting to miscarry. But I was just curious if anyone else had experienced such a thing.

*Update posted on fourth page*

Edited by snipsnsnailsx5
Update posted on fourth page

Thanks all :)

The Dr. thought it was ectopic, but the ultrasound showed the baby to be in the "right" place.

I still am having symptoms today, mostly the sore and tingly "ladies". ;) I even woke up twice last night from them hurting.

I've never had much nausea this PG, just some upset stomach after I eat sometimes. I still am getting that too, but its pretty mild.

:grouphug: We lost our 6th baby as well. I am so sorry.

I waited for a while till my body really recognized the loss. Then we went in and got the medical attention I needed. Of course the Dr. was over seeing our decision to wait it out for a while.

I announced that we were expecting number six a couple weeks ago, but now it seems that isn't meant to be. :(

I had a tiny bit of spotting two days ago along with one sharp pain in my ovary area. The Dr. wasn't concerned about the spotting so much as he was the pain. So they fit me in to do an ultrasound.

The spotting had never returned after that one incident the day before so I wasn't overly concerned. I hadn't been having any cramping.

Unfortunately the ultrasound showed a tiny baby, about a week less then I should be. Although I know that ultrasound machines can been +/- 5 days off which would still put me in an acceptable range for okay. However the Dr. said he still would have expected a heartbeat. According to my dates (I was charting my cycles so I know when I ovulated and when I got my first positive preg. test) I should be just over 7 weeks (like 7 weeks and 1 or 2 days). The u/s showed a little embryo just under 6 weeks. The Dr. also said he would have expected to see a heartbeat. Although just under 6 weeks seems like a gray area for seeing a heartbeat or not, its so very early. The Dr. said he wasn't very optimistic.

Then my spotting returned a few hours after my appt. and turned into red bleeding. It still wasn't a great deal - I'd call it light.

This morning the red bleeding has stopped once again and I haven't had any cramping still yet.

Has anyone gone through such a thing and it turned out okay? I found a whole message board of stories like this, and even more bleak, and a week or two later the baby was found with a heartbeat and bigger.

I really don't have much hope that things are okay, and am just waiting to miscarry. But I was just curious if anyone else had experienced such a thing.

I had an ultrasound where they told me my baby never ever developed. No baby and no heart beat. Uterus started growing but no child. He is 11 today. :)

Also with Colton (now 2 months) I did not know I was pregnant. It was my first cycle since Lainey and I bleed for 3 weeks. Went to dr for a check up and they said I was pregnant. I was baffled and got sent to emergency ultrasound. He was nearly 9 weeks along!

:grouphug: Praying for you to have answers either way. Please wait to have a D and C until your body tells you. With ds11 they wanted to do one the same day they did the ultrasound. Had I not waited, he would not be here today. :(

Bethany, based on all your details I wouldn't give up yet! The OB I'm familiar with won't even do an u/s until after 6 weeks because a heartbeat wouldn't show up until then or a bit later (you might have conceived before you thought -- I did once). I've had bright red blood before -- and carried to term. And in both of my early miscarriages, I never had any other pregnancy symptoms -- and you DO.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I know it can be hard to wait and wonder. And I'm sorry if this does end in miscarriage (with both my miscarriages, my body just took care of it itself; I didn't need any medical care. This isn't always the case, I have a dear friend who had to go in for a D&C for hers).

If in a week or so you still haven't miscarried, I'd ask for another ultrasound.

Edited by milovaný

6 weeks is still early for a heartbeat. I'd ask the doctor if they can do one in another week. I have heard of stories of women bleeding and then finding a heartbeat soon after. I went in at 6 weeks and the doc could not find a heartbeat. I thought for sure my dates were right. A week later I went back and they found the heartbeat....I was about a week off. I'm hoping the best for you!

:grouphug:

You never know. My OB's office will not see a patient for a first visit (for pregnancy) until they are after 7 weeks pregnant, as after 7 weeks is when they expect to have no problem with the heartbeat. I'd definitely want to repeat the ultrasound about a week after this one if you haven't miscarried, just in case!

Good luck!

P.S. I did have some bleeding and/or spotting with all three of my pregnancies- once toward the end of the third trimester, once very early on, and once in my second trimester.

As hard as it is to say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

The heart normally starts beating in week 5 and can be seen as early as that in some women - most wait until 6-weeks to do the scan for a heartbeat so that it's established and the pregnancy is progressing. At week 6 however, the ability to see the heartbeat can be hindered by the tilt of your uterus, the quality of the machine being used to do the scan, and a number of other factors, including late implantation.

I lost my second pregnancy with an initial scan that showed no heartbeat, likely blighted ovum....I was six weeks along and the doctor suggested a D&C. I asked to wait and do another scan in a week, Doc agreed, but wasn't very optimistic. The following week, the second scan showed that I had a MOMO Twinning, likely due to a late implantation....it did not look like the pregnancy was going to progress since there were fetal poles, but no embryos to see, no heartbeats. I still wasn't sure what to do, so I asked to wait again....Doc appeased me and the next week, the pregnancy was exactly where it was the week before - the only difference was my beta's were still rising, but no heartbeat, no embryos developing....doc wanted to do a D&C, I opted to wait out the miscarriage since I had no cramps, no bleeding and no symptoms that were scaring me. I miscarried at exactly 12-weeks - each week up to the miscarriage, we were monitoring beta's and it took until week 11 for the start of the decline. I had no complications with the miscarriage happening naturally.

With all the reading I did - I truly hoped for the best, knowing that there are a lot of pregnancies out there that have no heartbeat seen early on (between 6 and up to 8 weeks)....but I also understood that the odds of that, statistically, were still pretty low since up to 25% of all early pregancies are lost before week 8. The symptoms you're having now aren't good ones for the long-term, but you just don't know - only God knows.....I don't think there is anything wrong with waiting and hoping, as long as you're not bleeding heavy or cramping badly to the point where you're in trouble medically.

I had had a few miscarriages before (all early), and with #4 Ds, I had heavy bleeding and cramping at around 8 weeks - so I thought that for sure we were done. Doc did too. After about a week, the bleeding stopped, so we went in for an ultrasound just to see if we needed a D&C or if I had cleared it all naturally - - and low and behold.... there was DS #4 with heartbeat chugging away... :confused: We were all confounded, including the doc.. we think that maybe it was a twin???

Anyway, I wouldn't lose hope yet ... but also, try not to stress too much! :grouphug::grouphug:

At about your stage, with my 3rd child, I had clotting and tons of bright red bleeding. I went to the ER, terrified. It turns out it was just a big implantation bleed and I had her 7 months later. They warned me you very likely won't see the heartbeat so early, but we did. So I agree, pray for the best, and plan for the worst. :grouphug:

I was absolutely sure I was m/c with #3. Lots of spotting that went to a lot of bright red on/off for 2 wks.

My hcg count was low too-though not totally in the loss category.

I told everyone I was m/c and started the grieving process.

Then it all stopped.

He's now 6yrs old and full of energy!

He started with lots of excitement and came out with lots of excitement-he was born in our van LOL

Wishing you all the best!

With Indy, I had terrible bleeding at 12w and we thought for sure we were done, but he fooled us. He's now 8, almost 9.

Han Solo (born 2 days ago!!!) I bled on and off from weeks 6-10 and again, we thought it was over, but I'm sitting next to one of the two cutie pie-est little boys I've ever seen. I'll be hoping it turns out well for you. :grouphug:

My sister had terrible hemorrhaging at 19 weeks, again at 21 weeks and finally at 24 weeks. She lost lots of blood, it appears to have come from the placenta detaching a little. she has been on complete bed rest since 19 weeks. after the 24 week bleed ultrasounds showed a large blood clot behind the placenta. it is still there. She has been admitted to hospital for the last week, and is due in 6 days. earlier ultrasounds and MMI scans showed most of the brain missing, but the latest ultrasounds are showing most of the brain there, and they suspect there was just too much fluid around the brain to see the brain before. She is in the Hospital that deals specifically with brain ( nero?) problems, It is just a matter of wait and see how the baby is, and how much fluid it has around it's brain when it is born.

I had a miscarriage, but the events from your experience to mine are quite different. I didn't bleed or spot at all, but had a unbearable amount of pain so bad that I couldn't even stand. I went to the ER and was advised to wait to miscarry. It was a horrible experience and I'm sorry your going through this. I hope yours turns out okay.

My sister had terrible hemorrhaging at 19 weeks, again at 21 weeks and finally at 24 weeks. She lost lots of blood, it appears to have come from the placenta detaching a little. she has been on complete bed rest since 19 weeks. after the 24 week bleed ultrasounds showed a large blood clot behind the placenta. it is still there. She has been admitted to hospital for the last week, and is due in 6 days. earlier ultrasounds and MMI scans showed most of the brain missing, but the latest ultrasounds are showing most of the brain there, and they suspect there was just too much fluid around the brain to see the brain before. She is in the Hospital that deals specifically with brain ( nero?) problems, It is just a matter of wait and see how the baby is, and how much fluid it has around it's brain when it is born.

Praying for your sister. What a remarkable woman! :grouphug:

We lost our second around 8 weeks or so. I had just gone in for my first visit. They did an ultrasound and the dr. couldn't "see" the baby. He sent me to the ultrasound tech and she not only saw the baby, but the heartbeat as well. That was on a Wed. Saturday morning I started bleeding and it never stopped. We went to the er for an ultrasound that same day, and just like that... no baby.

I was thankful that my body took care of things without having to have a DNC. Then, less than a month later, without even having another period I was pregnant with #3. I was scared at first because they told me to wait at least 3 cycles, but oops. I'm glad we didn't "wait".

Hugs to you! I think what everyone has said it right...prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

I feel that I have a little one in heaven now. Its name is Jordan :)

:grouphug: I'll pray for you!!!

I lost three babies between #3 and #4. My only symptoms were cramping and then a VERY heavy "period." All were lost around 6 − 8 weeks.

I got pregnant with child #4 and bled at 6 weeks. I FREAKED. I just knew she was supposed to be with us. I KNEW it!!!! I went in for an u/s at 7 weeks and there was a heartbeat!!! I continued to bleed - bright red blood - for the next 8 weeks or so. My midwife was wonderful and gave me a quick u/s each time. She was fine!!! She was born at home at 38 weeks. She is now 5 yo. I still cry when I think of her early pregnancy. Gotta say - her pregnancy and the stress because of it is why I don't want another baby.

I pray yours is still there and you'll get to meet him or her in 7.5 months!!!!!

:grouphug::grouphug:You know, it really is too early to tell. It is possible, very possible, that you could see/hear a heartbeat in a week or so. 7 weeks is on the early side. I would wait it out, see if you can have another u/s next week.

But prepare for the worst. Your body will know what to do when the time comes, and sometimes it takes its time. In my case I knew I was going to have a m/c about 3 weeks before it finally happened. I wanted it to happen "naturally" and avoid the D&C if I could. Those were some very long weeks. :(

Either way, I know this is so very hard and I am so sorry you are going through this. Take care of yourself. :grouphug::grouphug:

I had a similar experience my last pregnancy. I made myself sick over all the researching while waiting. I found no definite answer, half the women who had experienced it had a miscarriage, half were fine. :grouphug: to you as you wait. In my case, I waited a week (stressing and freaked!) went back and there was a heartbeat. She turned one in Feb :) Hoping for you!

An update...

The Dr.'s office called back and moved my appt up to last Friday. So rather then waiting a week between ultrasounds now, I only had three days difference. I really wish I could have waited that week or longer. I think if things have not changed or had shown that there was no longer a sac a week or two later then I would feel most assured that everything was ended.

However, they did the ultrasound just three days later. The sac was still there, still the same size (the OB didn't measure the sac though- he just said it looked to be the same size). It looked nice and round and clear, with no blood in it, etc. There was a lot of blood and some clots in my uterus however.

Also the ultrasound this time didn't pick up on anything in the sac at all where three days before it showed a clear yoke and fetal pole measuring under 6 weeks.

I went to misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com, which I don't think I ever should have. Because so many women on that page have had early ultrasounds that only found a sac and nothing else and ended up to have healthy babies in later ultrasounds. The most usual reason is because of a tilted or retroverted (?) uterus that makes ultrasound detection hard when its so early. Even under 8 weeks is considered too early to diagnose a blighted ovum, or empty sac if you have a tilted uterus supposedly.

I do know that a few pregnancies ago my OB told me that my uterus was tilted. I don't know if that's just something you're born with or if it changes with time and pregnancies.

Anyway, I've had (TMI) lots of bleeding that alternates from heavy flow for a couple hours to moderate or even light flow the rest of the time. One day where I had lots of cramping for a couple hours. And (more TMI) a few blood clots, which the OB examined in the Dr. office and said I was indeed seeing just blood clots.

I don't know what to think. Well I mean I know its 99% likely over. I just keep hanging on to these rare, uncommon stories of situations just like mine that somehow turned out fine to the Dr's surprise and disbelief.

My pregnancy symptoms are the same. The "bOOks" (I assume that's Hive talk for "lady lumps" lol) are still sore and tingly throughout the day and I've had more nauseousness this weekend then I did before all of this happened.

Anyway, that's my update. I'm just waiting to finish m/c so that we can TTC again soon, hopefully next month.

An update...

The Dr.'s office called back and moved my appt up to last Friday. So rather then waiting a week between ultrasounds now, I only had three days difference. I really wish I could have waited that week or longer. I think if things have not changed or had shown that there was no longer a sac a week or two later then I would feel most assured that everything was ended.

However, they did the ultrasound just three days later. The sac was still there, still the same size (the OB didn't measure the sac though- he just said it looked to be the same size). It looked nice and round and clear, with no blood in it, etc. There was a lot of blood and some clots in my uterus however.

Also the ultrasound this time didn't pick up on anything in the sac at all where three days before it showed a clear yoke and fetal pole measuring under 6 weeks.

I went to misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com, which I don't think I ever should have. Because so many women on that page have had early ultrasounds that only found a sac and nothing else and ended up to have healthy babies in later ultrasounds. The most usual reason is because of a tilted or retroverted (?) uterus that makes ultrasound detection hard when its so early. Even under 8 weeks is considered too early to diagnose a blighted ovum, or empty sac if you have a tilted uterus supposedly.

I do know that a few pregnancies ago my OB told me that my uterus was tilted. I don't know if that's just something you're born with or if it changes with time and pregnancies.

Anyway, I've had (TMI) lots of bleeding that alternates from heavy flow for a couple hours to moderate or even light flow the rest of the time. One day where I had lots of cramping for a couple hours. And (more TMI) a few blood clots, which the OB examined in the Dr. office and said I was indeed seeing just blood clots.

I don't know what to think. Well I mean I know its 99% likely over. I just keep hanging on to these rare, uncommon stories of situations just like mine that somehow turned out fine to the Dr's surprise and disbelief.

My pregnancy symptoms are the same. The "bOOks" (I assume that's Hive talk for "lady lumps" lol) are still sore and tingly throughout the day and I've had more nauseousness this weekend then I did before all of this happened.

Anyway, that's my update. I'm just waiting to finish m/c so that we can TTC again soon, hopefully next month.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Many, many hugs for you. This sounds like what happened to me with my first m/c. Now, I do believe in a powerful God who can (and does) perform miracles. This could still end positively. However, that was not the case for me. I say let your body take care of things. It knows what to do. It seems like your body is handling things. Take some time to yourself to get through this. Again, many, many hugs.

Pregnancy symptoms are a good sign! The waiting to know part is hard, but there are things you can do that may help. Be sure to rest and lay down as much as possible. When getting up, walk the body up with your arms and don't strain the tummy muscles. Commune with the baby and your body and try to pray and hope instead of worry. Visualize the healing of the place of bleeding.

Try to avoid any foods that could complicate the situation, nothing spicy or bitter, Italian seasonings, papayas, and anything too strong for a little baby. Be sure to get lots of natural iron from greens and tea and drink lots of fluids.

Asparagus (Shatavari) is recommended in ayurveda to effectively stop a threatened miscarriage. Eat lots if you can!

Shepherd's Purse can stop a hemmorage within minutes, so it is good to have around. Angelicas (aka Dong Quai) helps to naturally clean out the womb afterwards. If miscarriage becomes official, these herbs can help to miscarry naturally, but they should NOT be taken during pregnancy. Be sure to read more about these herbs before using them to make sure they are safe for you.

Stay hopeful and rest well. Best wishes and big hugs for you!

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this:grouphug:. It happened between number 5 & 6 and I felt so betrayed by my body. I thought of it this way. If there was something wrong then nature was intervening. You deserve that happy, bouncing bundle of joy and not months of stress and heartbreak. Just stay strong and know that things are going to work out. :)