Menu

Do you have hobbies/outside interests that are just for you?

And is it important to you to have an outside interest or hobby, or is it no big deal if you don't/can't?

I'm curious what other moms like to do. My own hobby is photography, with an occassional bit of digital scrapbooking when I get the bug, but I've had other interests come and go through the years.

Yes, I do, and yes, it is important.

I think it's MOST important that SO supports me in these things. Even when I don't make time for myself to actually do them, I know he is fine with me leaving for a few hours for alone time or even for a weekend if I ever wanted to. That's nice.

I do Bikram yoga, sculling (sliding seat rowing), volunteer for political campaigns, staff political fund-raising events, pole dance (lol, I'm serious), and read.

I enjoy scrapbooking, making cards, stamping, etc. I have always tried to squeeze this in, and honestly, I look forward to doing more of it when I am older.

Yes, I am a believer in me time -- at least for me. I also enjoy spending time at night with my husband. Currently, we are streaming old Murder She Wrote episodes on Netflix.

I had a woman challenge us on the need for me time and asked where it was in the Bible. (eye-roll) Sure, I wouldn't deprive my family of needs so I could have me time, but I also refused to enter into the martyr syndrome I saw. This was the same group from which I received the comment, "Gee, you need to have more kids" when she found out I walked for 1.5 to 2 hours a day over the summer.

I felt like saying, "Why? Are you jealous?"

I refuse to feel guilty for taking time for me and for taking care of me.

I play guitar and also like to read. Sometimes I study a foreign language if I'm not too tired. Mostly I like to read non-fiction, self educational type of books to learn something new. :) But whatever I do, I definitely have to have my "down time". :)

Currently I can fit in horseback riding (usually in evenings spring- fall), figure skating (fall- late spring--my lessons are same time as kids and we get a super discount), and reading for info and pleasure on a regular basis.

Gardening I fit in pretty well in spring and summer.

Hobbies I am not able to get to often are writing (fiction), drawing & painting, sewing, and piano. I have decided that these things require so much time that they will need to wait (mostly) until our homeschooling years are over. I still make occasional attempts to include time for them, sometimes even incorporating them into our school day.

Shannon

Yes I do. I can't think of many things more important to me than my sanity.

I suppose most of my reading is just for me. I can't see how those Russian mystery novels I read last week could be for anyone else :D I figure any plant and craft skills I can master will be useful for the rest of my family, but I wouldn't learn those skills if I didn't want to for my own personal development.

I wish I had the time and brain space to study Polish, heraldry, aromatherapy and herbalism, but unfortunately my life isn't only about me! This year I'm working on knitting, grammar, literature, being more well read on politics and am about to start Latin. That's enough to keep me neglecting my housework. :)

Rosie

I sing in a choir. Tuesday nights are sacrosanct in my house-I leave at 6:15 (rehearsal starts at 7, that gives me time to stop at Starbucks and actually walk in, not go through the drive-thru because it takes 15 minutes to get all those people in and out of the child seats). The choir I sing in does tremendous music, it's hard work and concert weeks take quite a lot of time. If dh has something else he has to do on Tuesday, that night it becomes HIS responsibility to find childcare. Same thing with dress rehearsals and concerts. They are on his calendar 3 months in advance and he can just deal. :tongue_smilie:

It's not a year round thing, just August-November, then January-early April. The older kids can come to the concerts now, but again, it's up to dh and HE has to find childcare if he wants to come without them!

And is it important to you to have an outside interest or hobby, or is it no big deal if you don't/can't?

I had a lot when I was childless and only working 30 hours a week. Right now my time of life does not allow it. I'm sure I'll have it again, when kiddo is gone.

Yes, definitely, although homeschooling was my consuming passion for years. I have a strong interest in natural health and medicines, yoga, knitting, sometimes painting /drawing, I have a social group that is spiritually based that I attend fortnightly, and I was in a band for quite a while and have various musical inclinations. I also go through phases of getting into organisation, decluttering, that sort of thing, and love studying new methods for that (no one else shares my interest here :)) Also gardening, reading, and spending time in nature alone.

Homeschooling came first for years but now the other interests are taking up more of my time. The housework is getting done, too.

In the past I have sewn a lot, knitted occasionally (with a machine) machine embroidery, various remodeling projects and lately have moved on to woodworking. Of my former hobbies, knitting and machine embroidery are the ones I am least likely to return to when time allows (too fussy for my temperament). I have also been into photography, but can't seem to get into that mindset lately. My brain is absorbed with other things I guess...

I am into making furniture right now because it's fun, we can use it, and I can do much better than the RTA stuff from Walmart or IKEA for less than furniture store prices.

It's a sanity saver have some kind of creative/productive endeavor.

It's particularly important to me that not too many of my projects are alike or I get bored (and this is the reason future drywall work will likely be outsourced...).

Oh, and I love designing things in SketchUp.

ETA: I have noticed that nothing burns me out on a hobby faster than allowing it to become an obligation. Anyone else notice this? Lately, I'm feeling the urge to sew, but don't want to ever do the mass production (10 sets of pajamas for instance) I've done in the past.

Edited by darlasowders

Yes, I do, and if I didn't I would be a complete wreck. I really need social time. I cross-stitch, knit, and scrapbook, all with other people. In fact, I do all those things significantly less when I can't do them with other people.

I also sing on our praise team at church.

It's funny, I generally get out 2x per week and talk to actual adults, but I find myself feeling very lonely today. I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't get out at all!

yes, i enjoy running and participating in races (i have a half marathon sunday). i like crafts, specifically crocheting. i've really been enjoying learning about raw foods lately & have put a lot of energy into reading, cooking, etc. in regard to that. i also love documentaries & although it isn't really a hobby per se, it is something i enjoy as "me" time. :)

There are many crafts that I enjoy... crochet, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, photography and sewing.

(My dh loves fishing.

I try to enjoy my hobbies while he is out enjoying his.)

And grandchildren...

I LOVE grandchildren... lol

Not really. My lifelong hobby has been reading and I am very happy that ds15 follows that one too. I've had other hobbies that hold my interest for a short time that the kids either ignore or join in depending on what they are and I have no problem with them being interested and learning too. Right now dd and I are crocheting baby blankets for my new niece/nephew and the boys are trying to learn a bit.

Outside interest is that I ran for office and am a trustee for my area. I worked for local gov't before quitting to stay home, so this is right where I want to be. I make enough money to cover school books and I get out of the house 2-3 nights a week to do something that takes brain power.

For home interests, I read voraciously. I also crochet, sew, play violin and guitar and am working on some self education. I just got a math book that I am going to be working through, on top of the history and classical literature reading that I have been doing.

No, I don't. I haven't had time for anything like that in many, many years. That season will return one day. In fact, it is returning a little too quickly. It really doesn't seem to matter to me. My kids ARE my hobby.

:iagree:

Yup. Before I HSed I loved spending time at a "local" (20 minutes away) stable, riding. I don't have time for that right now but that's OK, soon enough the girl will have moved on and I'll have more than enough time, after work, to be "me."

I do enjoy spending time with family, friends and beautifying my home but those are shared joys.

I do think it's important, especially for we moms who pour so much of ourselves into our families.

I do yoga and ballet, sketch, hike, and am a member of a book club. I also meet my friends for dinner, drinks, coffee and movies. Oh, and I come here. :)

We hike, ride horses, participate in 4H and church activities, and tend our farm animals. We all do these things together (DH, DD10 and I) and it's pretty much all we do. I may occasionally go hiking or riding by myself, but it's only because no one was available to go with me. I don't have a second to spare for any other hobbies but then, I don't want to either. When I'm too old to be this active, I want to volunteer at a hospital pediatric ward to play with the kids/ rock the babies, and maybe scrap book all my pictures that have never been organized for 50 years. That should take me awhile. I do keep my blog up. That's something I guess.

Yes. I act in community theatre. For a number of years, I sang in a classical music ensemble.

I think it's very important. I wasn't able to do these things when ds was small, but now that he's older, I'm so glad to be able to do things just for my own enjoyment and enrichment.

My son and husband are very supportive; they volunteer in the concession stand at the theatre.

Wendi

Yup. I'm a seamstress. Most of the things I sew are for my kids, but the creating and act of sewing itself is very relaxing/recharging for me. The little bit of local business I get always makes me smile, too.

I have taught my kids all to sew, but the sewing room is still m.i.n.e., and they won't dig around or mess with anything in there.

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "must have ME time" thing. I've found it far more important to find a way to feel recentered/recharged right where I'm at. That may be survival of the fittest, though; my husband works long hours. :tongue_smilie:

I won't lie. I try to take care of my needs. I am a better mother when I heed the warning signs of burnout & the anxiety that I spew when I forget I have needs. I want my children to know a mother who respects herself. My daughters may someday be mothers, and my sons may someday be the spouses of mothers. I want to set a thoughtful example.

I have lots of interests that I tend do, and I try to make sure my children understand this. I don't think the interests or work particularly matters, just that you have some beyond your children.

I think this is more difficult when children are very, very young, especially when one is attachment parenting and not interested in listening to screaming, needy babies. I really want to tell women who are sitting there reading with one baby sleeping by their side, and another at the breast...to take care of you when you can...but I understand the need to be there for the wee ones. I know doing that brought me great satisfaction and no regrets. I would not change that. But you still have needs. (My dh has always been goood at spelling me some, even with 100% bf nurslings, so I did get some bathroom/shower/regrouping time.)

Just remember you need something as well, and your partner is capable even if balking. :) Child needs can be met, and human needs can be met --if families work together.

Edited by LibraryLover

For 'me' time, I read. I couldn't not read. It would be like not breathing. I get panicky when I'm close to finishing something and there's not another book waiting!

For fun, to get out of the house, and interact with a variety of people, I act in a community theater. When we do a show, it's only 6-8 weeks long, a couple times a year. It's only really crazy the week before the show and the weekend of the show. So, it's very doable.

Dh plays baseball. A Lot. But it's important to him, so we make it work.

I do believe that it's important for the kids to see their parents have outside interests.

I draw, and I mingle.

It's important to me that I'm able to do one, or both, on a regular basis. I do work outside of the home, so that fills my need for something to do, too. My job is one that meshes well with my aforementioned interests.

My hobby is people - watching people, meeting people, discussing people, ... drawing people :D. My kids and I spend several hours a week schooling in random places out in public so I can get my fix. I don't particularly like to keep in touch with people, I just like to meet them. And draw them.

I used to be a serious hobbyist photographer, but I'm not digging the digital thing. The dSLRs just don't have the same je ne sais quoi that the original SLRs did. I still shoot with my SLR, but no longer have a lab setup at home to use so ... it's fewer and farther between. I use a dSLR for snapshots of my kids, but it's not the same as taking pictures as art. That's how I got back into drawing ... it was my default creative outlet LOL.

I read. I used to research my family's geneaology but that has fallen by the wayside somewhat since I am homeschooling both girls. I also used to be heavily involved in theatre (my true love) but there is just no time anymore. I miss it terribly. I don't want to sound like I am feeling sorry for myself because really I am not but everything in my life right now is for my kids and dh. There just isn't time left in the day for me.

I enjoy knitting and reading but don't find much time for either currently. That's not because of my children, though. It's because I'm a full-time student on top of everything else. At this point, if I get a spare moment, I take a nap or watch something on Netflix with The Husband.