Menu

Now that we're a couple months past Christmas. . .

What gifts were the biggest hits with your kids? What made it past the two-week honeymoon stage?

For my older, they were the Playmobile take-along castle and all and any books.

For my younger, a color-changing CARS character. (And not the parking garage like I expected!) Oh, and a play sword and shield I got from Rainbow Resource.

Taking notes for next year. . .

:lurk5:

Edited by birchbark

Same as you- Playmobil!!! It gets played with every. single. day. around here. The kids got a TON of Playmobile this year and it all gets dragged out every day.

Klutz books are also still getting a lot of use around here.

Is it bad that I can't remember anything else that my kids got for Christmas? :tongue_smilie::001_huh: It's not so much a reflection of the gifts not being used and appreciated but rather that I apparently have issues with my memory.:glare:

I know what were big flops: The Lego games that they kids got. They've only ever played each one twice (and that was after heavy prompting from me) and never EVER ask to play them on their own accord. That was a lot of money wasted.

My power bathrobe!

My dear mil gave me a cream-colored plush bathrobe that is extremely soft and cuddly. After a difficult day, I am completely rejuvenated by a shower & my bathrobe. No worries or cares can penetrate it. :)

Playmobil and Lego continue to be perennial favorites here, even as the boys get older. Camera accessories and new-favorite books also continue to be well-used.

superhero costumes for DS5 and DS2. The have batman, bumblebee, ironman, spiderman and superman. They wear them every.sinlge.second of every.single.day. Yes, even in public :001_smile:

and board games. We got all the classics and we play all the time. Chutes and ladders, Rat a Tat cat, Uno, Clue jr, Operation and Life.

My DD8 is her American girl dolls. She got Kit and has Samantha and Addy. That and her Snuggie :)

Nightgowns, of all things!!! I have to fight to get those things away from the girls to wash them!

And the American Girl stuff (a new doll each, and lots of clothes and accessories) has been the biggest hit. Though the Playmobil vet clinic from last Christmas recently made a reappearance and was very popular for awhile. Maybe some new Playmobil will be in order this year, we'll have to see.

The "unexpected" gift Santa brought DS7 (the boys get to request one gift and also get a surprise gift). DH picked up the set. I thought it looked, er, dumb. The kind of thing you play with for a day.

Almost every day DS sets up a new little course for his Hex Bugs to run. They have names. Personalities. Homes DS made out of boxes. He used his little bit of Christmas money to buy an extra bug.

Weird.

I see Legos coming up again and again, but I have mixed feelings about them. DS loves them when he first gets them, but after building the thing once, he throws the disassembled pieces into the general Lego box and rarely uses them again. Do I have a bad setup? How do you Lego-lovers do it? Would it be better to keep the kits all in separate boxes? Oh, and the instructions end up in pieces all over the house.

My boys got a ton of matchbox cars they still carry everywhere.

DD got some dolls she plays with pretty regularly.

The Zhu Zhu pets are still pretty popular although I think I need to check the batteries on them.

They would probably use their playdough toys a lot more if I made them some more playdough - they had the shop stuff and it went gross after a few uses. I hate playdough toys as much as my kids love them -all the cleaning they require after use otherwise the playdough hardens and they won't work.:glare:

DS15-Kindle (and I am happy not to be running to the bookstore twice a week.:D)

DS10-iPod Touch-he loves taking pictures with it, so now I think maybe he needs a camera

DD6-Felicity and ladybug pillowpet

DS4-hexbugs, even though he only has the bugs, pig pillowpet

All-my DBIL and his wife brought the kids soccer t-shirts and jerseys from Italy. They wear them all the time.

American Girl stuff for both of mine. 6 yr old got her first doll and my dd8 got some new clothes for hers. My mom made them both some additional outfits and quilts for each.

They also sleep with their pillow pets and use their snuggies to wrap up in for reading each day.

Art supplies, for school and fun, every day!