Menu

What do you think about the term "blessed"?

"I'm so blessed." "God blessed me again."

What does this mean to you?

I'm not being nasty here. I'm interested in hearing a perspective other than my own.

My impression is that "blessed" means something like "singled out by God for special treatment." So, I wouldn't tell others that I've been "blessed."

But I know lots of people who do. I sort of cringe when I hear it. Maybe you can convince me not to cringe.

If you refer to yourself as "blessed" do you mean "lucky"? Or do you mean you've gotten preferential treatment from God? Or something else?

I am completely blessed every day. To me it is a way of acknowledging the graces and gifts that are showered on me every day (although I might express it after a particularly beautiful and as Jean says, undeserved blessing). It is an expression of acknowledgement and gratitude. I love the word and don't feel it singles me out as special- nor do I use it in a Christian context.

I take the word blessed to mean that I've received a grace (ie. undeserved and unearned) gift from God. I am blessed everyday.

I figured it was usually Christianese for "Yay! Life is good at the moment!"

:)

Rosie

I agree with Jean's definition. But I'd like to contrast it with Rosie's. Until dh was unemployed for over a year, I used it interchangeably between the above two definitions. Now, I don't believe it has much at all to do with the good things going on in my life, but everything to do with the fact that God has saved my soul and given me eternal life. Because, even when things are not going well - I am still blessed simply because I've received God's grace and he has saved me.

I am completely blessed every day. To me it is a way of acknowledging the graces and gifts that are showered on me every day (although I might express it after a particularly beautiful and as Jean says, undeserved blessing). It is an expression of acknowledgement and gratitude. I love the word and don't feel it singles me out as special- nor do I use it in a Christian context.

:iagree: This is pretty much how I use and understand it.

I say that I've been blessed a lot. What I mean by that is basically that I'm very thankful for what I have. I definitely don't think that God singles ME out. Rather I use it in place of "I'm very thankful for..."

:iagree: That's how I see it too. I am so thankful for the beautiful family I have. I'm blessed beyond my deserving.

(I wouldn't however use the term "blessed" after purchasing a large screen tv or something like that. I use it more in the context of non material possessions if that makes sense)

Guest CarolineUK

If I say "I'm blessed" I mean "I'm fortunate, I'm lucky", with maybe a hint of divine involvement, but not necessarily, and certainly not inevitably in the Christian context.

The word "bless" is used in other contexts which don't always imply a heavily religious meaning. For example, in the part of England I live at the moment if a child does something funny or cute it's very common for someone to say "Ah, bless!". Also, there's "bless you!" after someone has sneezed - I assume Americans say that too?

I agree with Jean's definition. But I'd like to contrast it with Rosie's. Until dh was unemployed for over a year, I used it interchangeably between the above two definitions. Now, I don't believe it has much at all to do with the good things going on in my life, but everything to do with the fact that God has saved my soul and given me eternal life. Because, even when things are not going well - I am still blessed simply because I've received God's grace and he has saved me.

You are exactly right Brenda. I never knew truly blessed I was until I went through a great deal of tribulation.

This is what Jesus taught blessed means:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are the meek,

for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are they who mourn,

for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,

for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,

for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,

for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake,

Blessed are you when men reproach you,

and persecute you,

and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake.

I take the word blessed to mean that I've received a grace (ie. undeserved and unearned) gift from God. I am blessed everyday.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Even when I'm in the midst of trials or major issues, I can fully say that "I'm blessed" because God still loves me. It is "underserved and unearned". He chooses to love me and that makes me "blessed" no matter what the circumstances are! I love the term, though I don't use it as much as I should sometimes! ;)

I sort of cringe when I hear it. Maybe you can convince me not to cringe.

If you refer to yourself as "blessed" do you mean "lucky"? Or do you mean you've gotten preferential treatment from God? Or something else?

That term can irritate me, too. I am bugged when I take it that the speaker is implying, "Wow, look what special favor God conferred on me, rather than someone else!" I'm not bugged by the general well-wish of, "May good fortune be yours," as in "God bless you," or "God bless America."

Once, when a friend came to see my new home that dh and I built with a lot of blood, sweat and tears, she remarked, "God has really blessed you!" I found that very annoying. While I acknowledge that we have been fortunate insofar as we are in able-bodied condition, we didn't suffer a calamity that made building a house unlikely, dh was raised by a father who taught him handywork skills, etc., at the same time a fully-formed house didn't drop out of the sky for our good pleasure. It took a lot of work and good choices and sacrifices for that home to become a reality and the statement that "God blessed [us]" by "giving" us that house both denies our involvement and is somewhat of an insult to those who never have a nice house.

That term can irritate me, too. I am bugged when I take it that the speaker is implying, "Wow, look what special favor God conferred on me, rather than someone else!" I'm not bugged by the general well-wish of, "May good fortune be yours," as in "God bless you," or "God bless America."

Once, when a friend came to see my new home that dh and I built with a lot of blood, sweat and tears, she remarked, "God has really blessed you!" I found that very annoying. While I acknowledge that we have been fortunate insofar as we are in able-bodied condition, we didn't suffer a calamity that made building a house unlikely, dh was raised by a father who taught him handywork skills, etc., at the same time a fully-formed house didn't drop out of the sky for our good pleasure. It took a lot of work and good choices and sacrifices for that home to become a reality and the statement that "God blessed [us]" by "giving" us that house both denies our involvement and is somewhat of an insult to those who never have a nice house.

:iagree:

I believed I have been blessed - just as everyone else on the planet - with God's gift of the world...

I don't mind the term - but I do think it is overused and misused.

:iagree::iagree:

To say I'm "lucky" implies that it's rather random; to say I'm "blessed" acknowledges God in my life. I understand what the OP is saying - in the right tone or context I could see how some people might be implying they were singled out for favor but I don't think that is how most people use the word blessed.

To say I'm "lucky" implies that it's rather random; to say I'm "blessed" acknowledges God in my life.

:iagree: That's why I use the word. Actually I don't really say I was blessed, usually I'll say that something was such a blessing.

Like last night I was driving into Seattle and traffic can be a bear. It was POURING so I really thought traffic would be terrible, and of course I was running a few minutes late. But I was pleasantly surprised that traffic didn't get too bad until I got into the heart of the city. When I picked up dh he asked about traffic and I told him it wasn't too bad which was a blessing. Did I think that God made the traffic light just so I wouldn't be late to pick up dh? Not at all! But for whatever reason, traffic was moving well and I felt blessed.

I don't know if the person you're referring means it like this or not, but that's where I'm coming from. I never realized it might bug someone.

To say I'm "lucky" implies that it's rather random; to say I'm "blessed" acknowledges God in my life. I understand what the OP is saying - in the right tone or context I could see how some people might be implying they were singled out for favor but I don't think that is how most people use the word blessed.

I think this is why it makes me cringe. Because as I look around me, blessings/good things DO seem to be distributed rather randomly. The homeless woman addicted to crack who gets pregnant again and again while married women with stable lives yearn for children. Health disasters the strike the same family repeatedly, despite healthy living habits, while others with risky habits seemingly escape all natural consequences.

If we acknowledge God as the author of the good, don't we also have to blame him for the bad? And since we don't like to blame God, that usually translates into feeling that we somehow deserve what we get and the people who are less blessed must deserve that as well. So why don't we look and see just why they don't deserve to be blessed like we are . . .

I feel very, very lucky in my life. I think it is spiritually healthier (for me) to view it as lucky than to attribute it to God.

In Hebrew, the word for blessing is "bracha" which is related to the words for lightning, hail, and pool. :) A bracha is something that comes down from the heavenly world of G-d and helps us in the material world. G-d can send it down to us, or we can draw it down by "making a bracha." There are hundreds of actions over which a bracha is regularly made. :)

So... I wouldn't say Jews normally say things like "I feel so blessed." But they do constantly say "Baruch Hashem" which means that G-d is the source of all brachas.

:iagree:

I believed I have been blessed - just as everyone else on the planet - with God's gift of the world...

I don't mind the term - but I do think it is overused and misused.

:iagree:I've heard people say, "Look how blessed I am. So-and-So gifted me with _____" I do cringe and then add an eye roll for the "gifted". In my experience "gifted" follows "blessed" rather soon. What ever happened to "gave"? Does it sound too greedy for folks? Does "gifted" make it more special?

Edited by Parrothead

I think this is why it makes me cringe. Because as I look around me, blessings/good things DO seem to be distributed rather randomly. The homeless woman addicted to crack who gets pregnant again and again while married women with stable lives yearn for children. Health disasters the strike the same family repeatedly, despite healthy living habits, while others with risky habits seemingly escape all natural consequences.

If we acknowledge God as the author of the good, don't we also have to blame him for the bad? And since we don't like to blame God, that usually translates into feeling that we somehow deserve what we get and the people who are less blessed must deserve that as well. So why don't we look and see just why they don't deserve to be blessed like we are . . .

I feel very, very lucky in my life. I think it is spiritually healthier (for me) to view it as lucky than to attribute it to God.

Often, what looks bad is for the good, and we are also very limited in our understanding of how things in the spiritual realm work. In Judaism, we receive rewards (and punishments) in this world or the next. So, if someone appears to be getting away with murder, either they are innocent or they will face their punishment in the world to come.

For me (not having read the other replies), for someone to say that she is blessed means "I attribute this to God". I don't believe in "luck" really. I believe in God's blessing and mercy combined with good choices and hard work (as much as people are capable of). I don't cringe when I hear it, though it can sting when you are in a position of want/need and someone is "blessed" with something that you long for. Infertility would be one example versus people being "blessed" with many children. Although it is not a term which bothers me, I completely understand how it might hurt/offend/bother someone else. I try to use it judiciously and only with people who share similar worldviews/spiritual beliefs since it is, to me, a work with a very spiritual connotation. That said, I have said that I am "blessed" with thick hair. I didn't do anything to earn it, and it is a result of genetics. God didn't single me out for special treatment. I am no more special with my thick hair than anyone else. I could lose it any day.

"I'm so blessed." "God blessed me again."

What does this mean to you?

My impression is that "blessed" means something like "singled out by God for special treatment." So, I wouldn't tell others that I've been "blessed."

I agree with Jean's definition of what 'blessed' means. It means that God has given me grace that I don't deserve. Serving others is a blessing, I don't deserve it, I'm not good enough for it, yet God puts me there for it anyway, it's amazing. Having a roof over my head, living in this country, having my dh and dc, I don't deserve any of this. I'm not good enough for any of it, but God gave it to me anyway. That's blessed, imo.

If blessed does mean singled out by God for special treatment, then it would be a lot like saying, "You're unique, just like everyone else." Sure, I'm special and singled out by God... just like everyone else :D I wouldn't hide that, if only because it would be like I didn't want it. I don't think it's embarrassing or wrong to acknowledge God's blessings to me. I think it's very right.

We've all gotten preferential treatment, iykwIm.

Amen.

In a Christian context, we may even count our suffering as blessings, as Romans 5:3-4 says:

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope...."

Jean said, and many seem to believe, that blessings are undeserved, which only leads us back to that point-and-shoot god who randomly plays with lives. One child lives through a car wreck - "We're so blessed!" - and another dies. I much prefer to believe it's random than believe in such a being, so I choose lucky over blessed.

I feel this way, too. Dh and I have recently had some very, very good things happen to us. I feel almost guilty about it because better people than we are are struggling. The "blessing" was the result of some very hard work we put in six years ago, but the timing was just amazingly fortunate. Maybe I can look more at the timing as a blessing from God. It was certainly an answer to prayer. Hmm.

Anyway, this recent experience leaves me feeling moved to share more of what I have with those who don't have what I do. It pains me that so many people are suffering. If my good circumstances are a blessing from God, I think it means I need to do more for others. Maybe that's why not everyone gets everything they need. Maybe He wants the rest of us to step up to the plate and help others.

In general I avoid using "blessed" because it does feel like it implies "and you are not blessed/God loved me more". Sorry for the rambling.

That's how I see it too. I am so thankful for the beautiful family I have. I'm blessed beyond my deserving.

(I wouldn't however use the term "blessed" after purchasing a large screen tv or something like that. I use it more in the context of non material possessions if that makes sense)

:iagree::iagree:

God has a plan for every one of us, but our understanding is limited by our humanity. Moves early in a chess game by an expert player may seem random at the time but later on it becomes clear what the purpose of those moves were. If we have such difficulty just following a game with only 32 pieces and limited moves, imagine how much more complex God's plan is for the multitude of humans past, present, and future.

I figured it was usually Christianese for "Yay! Life is good at the moment!"

:)

Rosie

I was actually taught long ago that "blessed" meant anything that draws you closer to God. Usually difficult circumstances do that better than "Life is good." does, so I think of it as the opposite of what Rosie and I think many others think of it.

I don't like it when the word is overused and becomes meaningless.

I live in the Bible Belt and am frequently told to "Have a blessed day," which I translate in my head to, "Have a nice day."

I don't bless people when they sneeze; I gesundheit them. :)

My father once told us we should never say, "Bless you" when strangers sneezed in public, because we couldn't know for sure that they were *really* Christians (ie that they might not say they were Christian or that, even if they said they were, they might not really be *true* Christians). That meant you were at risk of telling God to bless someone He wouldn't bless so it was close to blasphemy:001_huh:. He also thought that it was a pagan (little p ;)) practice that Christians shouldn't use. That particular quirk of theology (which may well be unique to him) never did make sense to me, even as a child in elementary school. He also briefly forbade "gesundheit" because he thought it meant the same thing, until I researched and pointed out that it didn't, or at least not exactly ;).

To throw something different into the mix, "blessed be" is a common phrase among the Neopagan community--primarily the Wiccan-influenced portions, and Wicca is the largest of the religions under the general descriptive term, "Neopagan" or "Pagan." It's a multipurpose phrase usually used similarly to the way other religious groups might use "shalom," "amen," "in Jesus's name," "have a blessed day," etc, --- to convey a hope for good things to happen to you, a response to the end of a prayer, as a way to end a note/email, and as a sort of "code phrase" to let the other person know you are part of their group. I've also only heard this usage pronounced "bless-ed," not "bless-d," and I don't think that's necessarily regional in this particular context ;).

Frankly, I don't tend to use the word myself very often. In the area in which I live, it would tend to make people assume I was a fundamentalist, probably evangelical Christian (most of the other mainline Christians here don't seem to use it in conversation on a regular basis). In the circles in which I often associate, it would tend to make people assume I was Wiccan. Neither of those would be correct :001_smile:.

To be honest, I consider myself blessed, but I do also cringe upon hearing it.

God has blessed my family financially...does that mean he has not blessed the folks who are having a really hard time with money?

I don't know how else to answer when people say things like, you have a lovely farm. Of course it is not our doing; it is all a gift from God...but saying I am blessed....it really feels funny to me.

My impression of "blessed" is the same. But I guess I have a different take on it. I do feel that God singles out His children for special treatment and when He does I am happy for them. I think it is great that they are giving God the glory.

God has blessed my family financially...does that mean he has not blessed the folks who are having a really hard time with money?

I don't know how else to answer when people say things like, you have a lovely farm. Of course it is not our doing; it is all a gift from God...but saying I am blessed....it really feels funny to me.

Is it not your doing? You have a lovely farm, but I'm sure it doesn't stay that way without some hard work on your part. :) Though I agree that all good things come from God, I think there's no shame in taking pride in our stewardship of those good things. And I mean pride not in a boastful way, but rather as in being accountable for the care of the gifts God has granted.

When I use the word, it is meant to give glory to God - but NOT in a way that implies I've been singled out or receive more of His love than someone who has less. Just in a "I am thankful for this undeserved kindness" way. I don't use it with regards to material possessions or lucky happenstances. I use it to say things like I was blessed by a friend's encouragement, or I am blessed in my family's love, or I was blessed by my spiritual father's wisdom, things like that. I guess I tend to think of blessings as God's love expressed through people. Because when we act in loving ways to help others, we are acting in accordance with God's will. I pray that I, by God's grace, may bring blessings to others.

And I think that Teachin'Mine made a beautiful and noteworthy point:

This is what Jesus taught blessed means:

Blessed are the poor in spirit' date='

Blessed are the meek,

for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are they who mourn,

for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,

for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,

for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,

for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they shall be called children of[u'][/u] God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake,

Blessed are you when men reproach you,

and persecute you,

and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake.

I think to tend to agree with the above more, but perhaps it's because of the way I hear the word 'blessed' used constantly around me. As in "you're so blessed to have been born in America" where the poor starving child in Africa wasn't blessed, and since blessing are connected with something God gave you, it leaves me feeling very uncomfortable. If I do say blessed I'm probably think more along the lines of count your lucky stars you were in the right place at the right time. And I very much relate to the bolded part.

Originally Posted by Melinda in VT

God has a plan for every one of us, but our understanding is limited by our humanity. Moves early in a chess game by an expert player may seem random at the time but later on it becomes clear what the purpose of those moves were. If we have such difficulty just following a game with only 32 pieces and limited moves, imagine how much more complex God's plan is for the multitude of humans past, present, and future.

I thought this way, too, until my daughter died at birth. If that was calculated by God for some Greater Purpose that I'm just not privy too, then God is not good. If I am His child, then that would be child abuse. It is because of this that I am more likely to say "lucky" or "fortunate", because to me, a lot of things are random. It's easier for me to believe that in the randomness of biology, a crack addict may have baby after baby, while a loving family remains childless than for me to think this is by design, a design we just can't figure out for now. And when people consider themselves blessed with many children, it stings me to the core...how else could I view that but that I am "less-blessed"?

How about a simple "Thank you."

I find that we tend to be wordy when we don't need to be. I blame it on TV - sitcoms and drama shows mostly.

Well you could mean "lucky" if you believed in luck. But if you don't believe in luck and instead believe that the joy we experience and the time and gifts we are given from God, then you consider yourself "blessed." :D

I consider being blessed a recognition of a gift given - either a child, or even just a moment of quiet, or a beautifuly day, or just the conviction to STOP for a moment and REALIZE I've been given this moment, this breath.

I thought this way, too, until my daughter died at birth. If that was calculated by God for some Greater Purpose that I'm just not privy too, then God is not good.

Mama,

I want to say I'm sorry for your loss. Our third child, our daughter Hannah died twelve days after her birth.

In our lives we consider death wretched... Bad, horrible, a disgusting twist that ended something lovely.

What if our perception is wrong? What if death is only the beginning to something beautiful, lovely, and amazing that we only get sips of, tiny glimpses in our worldly lives? Our lives are fraught with worry & concern. Your daughter now has nothing but pure and complete joy.

C.S. Lewis wrote a lot on our fear of death and how it was wrong after watching his wife suffer & die of cancer.

It doesn't make our pain or our grief less. We celebrated Hannah's 10th birthday yesterday with cake and love. But, our perception isn't always reality. Blessings are not random. God is wholly good. It is our perception that sees other than what true is.

I thought this way, too, until my daughter died at birth. If that was calculated by God for some Greater Purpose that I'm just not privy too, then God is not good. If I am His child, then that would be child abuse.

God had to watch His Son suffer and die as well. His original intention was for a world without suffering and death. We humans mucked it up by giving in to temptation. God does not "calculate" bad things but He does use those that happen as part of His grander plan.