Menu

How do YOU pronounce "epoch"?

How do you pronounce "epoch"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "epoch"?

• E-poch (like Tupac the rapper)
    • e-poch (very similar to 'epic', w/ a schwa sound for the 'o')

Two choices. No "other."

Dh & I fight about the weirdest things.

(And, yeah, we've looked in the dictionary--answer the poll before you look.)

ETA:

1. EE-pock (long e, pock like stock or flock)

2. e-puck (short e, puck like stuck but...softer like 'e' in "the")

Edited by Aubrey

In the poll, does the capital 'E' mean that the first syllable is accented, and the lowercase 'e' means that it isn't? If so, I don't think I pronounce "epoch" in either of your two ways. :lol:

BUT, if 'E' means that it's a long vowel sound, and 'e' means short vowel sound, then I pronounce it the same as your

2nd choice (which is how I voted). I pronounce it "eh' pək". Accent is on the 1st syllable, with a schwa sound in the 2nd--just like "epic", but with a schwa sound instead of a short 'i' sound.

FWIW, I pronounce Tupac as "two-pack", but that's probably wrong. ;)

Edited by ereks mom

Guest CarolineUK
Neither... I never say the word. :laugh:

The way I've said it in my head doesn't match with your "ac" or "ic" endings... and has a long E... "ee-pock" .. which is probably wrong.

This, "ee-pock" is the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.

Neither... I never say the word. :laugh:

The way I've said it in my head doesn't match with your "ac" or "ic" endings... and has a long E... "ee-pock" .. which is probably wrong.

:iagree:This is how I say it, er, because I say it so often.

But then under it, it says (highlight for spoiler): ep-uhk or, especially Brit., ee-pok :D

Exactly. This is what happens every. time. we. disagree. about something. It's *infuriating.*

We have agreed to the following, however:

1. He will use synonyms or avoid the word (because how often do you really need it anyway, AND because he's so much more tolerant than I).

2. If he insists on using the British pronunciation, he will work on his British accent. :lol:

Updated sound choices on the first post. Sorry for referencing Tupac--what's wrong w/ me? Why do *I* know how his name is pronounced? :confused:

(But I think it comes from making fun of the way dh pronounces 'epoch.' I told him he sounded like a rapper trying to do ancient history.) :001_unsure:

An epoch might reach epic proportions, but I don't pronounce both words the same way.

For me, the only difference in the pronounciation of these two words would be that for epic, I say a clear short i sound and for epoch, a schwa sound. The e is short e and the accent is on the first sylable for both words. I would say epoch just like the dictionary voice did.

wow. I couldn't believe the results of the poll... I've only ever heard it with a short 'e' sound at the beginning, I didn't know anyone ever said it with a long 'E'. Not that I use it much! I was surprised at how many people said it with a long 'E'. Are you keeping track of where these people are from? :001_smile:

So, I'm just completely wrong. I say eh-pock.

Me too.

Okay, now I listened to the earlier link. That is close enough to how I say it that I wouldn't have heard it and thought "Oh my goodness, I've been saying that wrong." You know, like when I realized Colonel was all wrong.

Edited by Meriwether

An epoch might reach epic proportions, but I don't pronounce both words the same way.

:iagree:

Me too.

Okay, now I listened to the earlier link. That is close enough to how I say it that I wouldn't have heard it and thought "Oh my goodness, I've been saying that wrong." You know, like when I realized Colonel was all wrong.

:lol: I think I was in college before I realized the written word Colonel was the same as the military rank.

:iagree:

:lol: I think I was in college before I realized the written word Colonel was the same as the military rank.

Well that makes me feel better. I was about 6th grade. Dad laughed and laughed:glare:. Unfortunately, I learned a lot of my vocab through reading. I've made more than my share of mistakes.

I say it with a short e sound and -pock. I was watching a program on the Green Network on Prehistoric creatures today and that was how they pronounced it as well.

I used to have a lot of problems with pronunciation because a lot of my vocabulary came from reading -we didn't have a television and very rarely went to the movies until after my teens. As I got older and started watching more television, my pronunciations improved. :tongue_smilie: As a teen, I pronounced lingerie phonetically. (sounded like the english work linger - meaning to be slow to leave- with a y at the end)