Menu

Really irritated about tonight's youth group...

Ds goes to our youth group on Wednesdays and a friends on Fridays (HUGE number of kids at that one). He came home tonight and I'm irritated. He was chosen for a game where he and a friend had to "chug" a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew. He said he felt jittery afterwards which annoyed me enough. Then I found out that he meant that he and the friend chugged the SAME bottle. When I questioned this, he said they were asked if they cared about germs (of course they said no). I just read on FB that the friend's sister has been very sick for 3 days with bronchitis. Great! What are these people thinking when they think up these activities anyway?

Thanks for listening to me vent! :mad:

Ds goes to our youth group on Wednesdays and a friends on Fridays (HUGE number of kids at that one). He came home tonight and I'm irritated. He was chosen for a game where he and a friend had to "chug" a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew. He said he felt jittery afterwards which annoyed me enough. Then I found out that he meant that he and the friend chugged the SAME bottle. When I questioned this, he said they were asked if they cared about germs (of course they said no). I just read on FB that the friend's sister has been very sick for 3 days with bronchitis. Great! What are these people thinking when they think up these activities anyway?

Thanks for listening to me vent! :mad:

I know how you feel. My dd caught whooping cough once by sharing a water bottle with a girl who said she "wasn't contagious".

That's better than the guys at my university who had milk fest, where they all chugged a gallon of milk (each). Only one guy ever kept it down (he became legendary). Chug and spew. I dunno. They thought it was awesome. Boys. :lol:

Sorry they weren't smart about germs though; I hope your son doesn't get sick.

The game was not a good idea, and I would chalk it up to immaturity of the leaders. Many youth leaders are college age and don't consider possible ramifications that adults and parents think about. They are not trying to do harm, but they are immature. They get an idea, it sounds like fun, and they run with it. I have had to stop some youth leaders from doing things like this. They didn't understand why I objected to the game until I spelled out the possible health problems. You just don't have 5 people chugging a gallon of eggnog from the same carton when many of the students had been dealing with illnesses. Once I pointed out the problem the youth director understood and said he never considered that. The problem was easily solved by pouring the eggnog into lots of cups so the game could go on that way without sharing of germs. But in this case I was able to stop it before it happened. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

It might be eye opening for the youth leaders to have you share your concerns with them. They probably never considered that there could be negative consequences from the game.

Ok I'll be the dissenting voice. I'm the youth minister at my church.

Students love games like this, and they're fun. If he felt forced to play; that's an entirely different matter and that should be addressed.

Bringing youth together is mostly about building and modeling Christian community. Not all the activities serve an obvious purpose.

If you were asked, how would you justify coffe hour? How are donuts about church?

Youth group should be fun. You want kids to come back.

Students love games like this, and they're fun. If he felt forced to play; that's an entirely different matter and that should be addressed.

Bringing youth together is mostly about building and modeling Christian community. Not all the activities serve an obvious purpose.

If you were asked, how would you justify coffe hour? How are donuts about church?

I have to agree.

I remember attending youth group and youth camp as a teen. I had an absolute BLAST and I was closer with the Lord then than I am now. To be "successful" with teens, you have to do fun things. Usually things like that are an intro and then they move into the lesson. I remember at youth camp they did the nastiest skit where there was like 5 people up on stage and it had something to do with eating an oreo, swishing their mouth, and spitting it back in the cup....the next person did the same...with the same cup. :ack2: It was the counselors who did this and maybe a few of the 12th grade guys. It was so gross, but boy did it get a reaction from the audience and was talked about for the whole next year.

I think it was harmless fun....maybe not the best choice of beverage, but youth groups do things like this. I think it is fine.

It's fairly common, as I've heard the kids talking about doing things like this. I guess they are old enough to say no if they don't want to do it. I remember doing silly things in youth group that had nothing to do with a lesson. I went back week after week, largely because I had fun at youth group. My friend is a youth leader, and she is constantly on the lookout for activities that the kids will find fun so they'll keep coming back.

A bit off topic, but the Mountain Dew craze is huge! My son told me that a get-together isn't good if there is no Dew. I don't like it at all, but he and his friends love it. Bleh.

I mean this with all humility, but statements like these are why my kids don't attend church youth groups. There is plenty of Bible for eating (donuts) and drinking (things like coffee) together as a major part of Christian fellowship. But, there really isn't any Bible verse I can think of that supports games and silliness as a part of outreach or fellowship. Not that I don't think Christians shouldn't have fun together, because I know that has its place, too.

However, the activities (even fun ones) should have a purpose, shouldn't they? Then, it's just another social outing, right?

Just one more opinion, in a long line of them! Hopefully, everyone at the OP's youth group can communicate and come to an agreement. :) And, hopefully, no one will get sick!

The game was not a good idea, and I would chalk it up to immaturity of the leaders. Many youth leaders are college age and don't consider possible ramifications that adults and parents think about. They are not trying to do harm, but they are immature.

Exactly! Immaturity is the cause of many of the poor decisions in youth groups. I am so thankful that our church has a youth leader that is a little over 30 AND most of the assistants are way older than that. I can only think of 1 assistant under 30. I really appreciate that the older members are willing to work with the youth. Hmm, I think I need to write some thank you notes.

The issue of directing kids into an activity that is hazardous to one's health is an subquestion of the question about whether youth groups should be run by younger and less mature people, and whether the emphasis should be on the fun, etc. This activity was clearly dangerous in several ways - vomiting, etc and spreading germs. Even more serious diseases than those mentioned could be spread - a young man at my son's college just died of meningitis. Would you have wanted your child to have drunk after him before he knew he had a serious disease?

Guest Dulcimeramy

As long as youth groups are run by foolish young people, the teens will be at risk.

Parents, please know who is supervising your kids at youth group. It might be a young person without a lick of sense, and I don't care what title they may hold in your church, if they are stupid they should not be in charge.

I've never been urged to chug gallons of coffee.

How pathetic that these people can't figure out how a better way to "have fun."

I lived in a town where a woman died from drinking too much water. She was trying to win some kind of video game and the -- excuse me -- idiot radio guys kept encouraging (note: not forcing) her on.

She died a few hours later. And had young kids.

Sometimes these people just don't realize what they're dealing with. And, by the teen years, all of them should get how germs transfer. My seven year old boys will tell you all about it.

Alley

It's a youth group. If there is a "game" that the majority think is fun there will be those who feel "forced" to go along. Many of these kids don't have the maturity, skills or self-esteem to stand up and say, "No." Most parents are relying on those in charge at such events to know what is acceptable behavior. I think the op thought such was the case and is now angry that it wasn't.

I'm trying to think of a "nice" way to put this. When we were youth pastors, and a parent would bring up these issues...I would think, "Great, here we are doing everything we know how to engage, educate, encourage, uplift and provide an atmosphere where your kids can make relationships with other teens (of similar faith), and your upset with ONE little game. Please, if you want my job and think you can do it better...it's yours."

I can understand if you want a different enviroment for your child. That is fine and completely your call (said with no snark at all :D) But, we are doing the best we can to set up an atmosphere that makes ministry possible to a very diverse group of teens.

That said, I would have split the soda between to containers...unless there was a specific reason they had to share. ;)

I understand the need to draw in the youth with irreverant and silly games. Not exactly my cup of tea. ;)

But the point most of us are upset over from a health POV is what you are overlooking as a Youth Leader. The idea of sharing or drinking from that bottle. Saliva can be the ideal mode of sharing any form of virus or Hepatitis, for example. In this day and age, that is absolutely unacceptable for an adult to allow youngsters to do this under their supervision. Boils right down to dumb manuevers and plain stupidity. The same idea applies to a church's coffee hour if the person in charge didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom and handled the donuts from box to platter with their hands. :ack2: Disgusting.

I'm trying to think of a "nice" way to put this. When we were youth pastors, and a parent would bring up these issues...I would think, "Great, here we are doing everything we know how to engage, educate, encourage, uplift and provide an atmosphere where your kids can make relationships with other teens (of similar faith), and your upset with ONE little game. Please, if you want my job and think you can do it better...it's yours."

I can understand if you want a different enviroment for your child. That is fine and completely your call (said with no snark at all :D) But, we are doing the best we can to set up an atmosphere that makes ministry possible to a very diverse group of teens.

That said, I would have split the soda between to containers...unless there was a specific reason they had to share. ;)

Trust me, I understand. I used to be a public school teacher. :D I understand having parents upset when you blew it with their kid or did something idiotic. However, I don't think anyone is complaining of the Youth Group in general -- but we are asking for common sense.

In my family's case, I have a 15 yr old who has both Asperger's Syndrome (i.e. immaturity and not able to communicate) and a rare liver disease. If he was in that youth group game, he would not be able to tell the leader this is a bad idea. He is a kid and wants to fit in. He'd share the bottle in the game. But the idea of my son getting flu or a simple cold can land him in the hospital ASAP due to his liver disease and compromised immune system. You'd have one ticked off Mama Bear on your case if it were my kid.

Edited by tex-mex

Trust me, I understand. I used to be a public school teacher. :D I understand having parents upset when you blew it with their kid or did something idiotic. However, I don't think anyone is complaining of the Youth Group in general -- but we are asking for common sense.

In my family's case, I have a 15 yr old who has both Asperger's Syndrome (i.e. immaturity and not able to communicate) and a rare liver disease. If he was in that youth group game, he would not be able to tell the leader this is a bad idea. He is a kid and wants to fit in. He'd share the bottle in the game. But the idea of my son getting flu or a simple cold can land him in the hospital ASAP due to his liver disease and compromised immune system. You'd have one ticked off Mama Bear on your case if it were my kid.

Question, kinda off subject. Would you have let the Youth leadership know of his situation? I have had many parents do that, so I could quietly intervene if needed ;).

Question, kinda off subject. Would you have let the Youth leadership know of his situation? I have had many parents do that, so I could quietly intervene if needed ;).

Oh yes. Upon first meeting.

But in the years with our disease, I have found many teachers, leaders, or friends get so confused with what sonny boy can or cannot eat. LOL So I am used to the panicked phone call asking what it is he can or cannot do. Or eat. Or participate in if it is vigorous exercise. And yes, many times we get someone who forgets the situation for my son's health and allows another student (or their child) who is showing symptoms of a viral infection, runny nose, cough, fever, etc to work with him on a project or play with him. Then my son gets dangerously ill and we go to the ER for blood ammonia levels. It happens.

When I was teaching full time, I would have certain students with severe allergies or health conditions in the classroom. I'd have to remember what they could do or not do also. Class parties were tricky. Often for my sanity, I'd have the parent of that child send in a special treat they could eat in place of what the room mom offered.

Oh yes. Upon first meeting.

But in the years with our disease, I have found many teachers, leaders, or friends get so confused with what sonny boy can or cannot eat. LOL So I am used to the panicked phone call asking what it is he can or cannot do. Or eat. Or participate in if it is vigorous exercise. And yes, many times we get someone who forgets the situation for my son's health and allows another student (or their child) who is showing symptoms of a viral infection, runny nose, cough, fever, etc to work with him on a project or play with him. Then my son gets dangerously ill and we go to the ER for blood ammonia levels. It happens.

When I was teaching full time, I would have certain students with severe allergies or health conditions in the classroom. I'd have to remember what they could do or not do also. Class parties were tricky. Often for my sanity, I'd have the parent of that child send in a special treat they could eat in place of what the room mom offered.

Yup! I've made quite a few of those phone calls myself!!! :D

Many of these kids don't have the maturity, skills or self-esteem to stand up and say, "No." Most parents are relying on those in charge at such events to know what is acceptable behavior. I think the op thought such was the case and is now angry that it wasn't.

That is my point with my earlier post. I agree.

Dd and I are reading this, she said they use individual soda cans at her youth group! And use the person next to them's sock over the can....... gotta love it!

Another one: eat a whole can of spam!

Another: a smoothie made of hamburger, french fries, soda, caramel sauce, etc.

And: Baby food.

Wow, I learned something tonight!

The germs are one thing, but the caffeine and sugar is what would get my goat. If my kid drank a liter of Mountain Dew in the evening, he would be totally wired, and would not be able to sleep until at least 2:00 am. Not only that, but the sugar would send him into an ultimate sugar crash. It could even put him in shock.

I would hope my kid would use better judgment, as he understands the consequences. But, in the pressure of the moment, I'm not sure he would. I would hope the leaders had better judgment.

Wouldn't that game technically be a form of gluttony?

I understand from a youth leader's point of view that complaints from the parents about game choices/etc can be grating especially when those parents that are complaining rarely step up to volunteer.....but.....in this instance, I'd have to agree that chugging is just not setting a good example.

Dd and I are reading this, she said they use individual soda cans at her youth group! And use the person next to them's sock over the can....... gotta love it!

Please explain the above (and please let it NOT be drinking through a sock) :eek:

Wouldn't that game technically be a form of gluttony?

I understand from a youth leader's point of view that complaints from the parents about game choices/etc can be grating especially when those parents that are complaining rarely step up to volunteer.....but.....in this instance, I'd have to agree that chugging is just not setting a good example.

:iagree: Well said!

I think the game was stupid--and probably showed a lack of maturity on the leaders' parts for picking it.. Honestly, the germy part doesn't faze me. But I'd talk to the leadership about the game, because it involved chugging and MD. Not a good precedent.

As far as games being not connected to the lesson, I am much more laid back. Silly games don't comprise the main part of a good youth group--in fact, I've never heard of a youth group that did only that. They are used to help kids get to know each other, develop trust (because if you can be silly with someone, you might be able to share something close to your heart later--risking looking like a fool on one level can open up the ability to risk looking like a fool on a deeper level), and provide the bonding that comes with that.

I'd be more unhappy about this being a large quantity of a soft drink (caffeinated?) than about a few germs. The immune system deals with that- it's not that you know these are kids with highly contagious diseases such as tuberculosis.

We have always been sharing drinks from the same bottles when hiking and backpacking and consider it normal.

"a few germs???"

Ugh. You guys haven't spent as much time as I have looking at the inside of our potty.

When my twins were tiny, if one didn't pick up the germ, the other one did. Or dh brought it home from work.

We had a cold or were vomiting at least once a month for the first year or more.

And, no, they weren't in day care.

Through the years, I've gotten really, really tired of the vomit thing. Sure. . . you lose weight but it's not a fun way!! :)

I think some people's bodies throw off germs better than others. So some people become germ phobic and others are more nonchalant. '

You should be aware that there's a difference and for families who DO easily get sick, a youth minister like this would have some splaining to do.

Alley

I mean this with all humility, but statements like these are why my kids don't attend church youth groups. There is plenty of Bible for eating (donuts) and drinking (things like coffee) together as a major part of Christian fellowship. But, there really isn't any Bible verse I can think of that supports games and silliness as a part of outreach or fellowship. Not that I don't think Christians shouldn't have fun together, because I know that has its place, too.

However, the activities (even fun ones) should have a purpose, shouldn't they? Then, it's just another social outing, right?

Just one more opinion, in a long line of them! Hopefully, everyone at the OP's youth group can communicate and come to an agreement. :) And, hopefully, no one will get sick!

:iagree: I don't like the idea of having to make church "fun" and "entertaining" in order to attract kids. We don't attend church for entertainment but for worship. I've also never been comfortable with the idea of young kids just out of college guiding teens. (They seem younger all the time the older I get! :)) I much prefer older adults who have more wisdom and maturity. Our church is more family-integrated than others we have attended but we do have a youth group at our church. They hold get-togethers outside of church and sometimes include silly activities--nothing involving food and chugging though. Mostly they do things like bowling or skiing. The main purpose for that is a social outing. On Sunday mornings the youth group gets together for a Bible study during the Sunday School hour. What the OP stated would make me very uncomfortable. I spend most of my time trying to train my children out of their childishness. I'd rather not have it reinforced somewhere else! :)

The germs are one thing, but the caffeine and sugar is what would get my goat. If my kid drank a liter of Mountain Dew in the evening, he would be totally wired, and would not be able to sleep until at least 2:00 am. Not only that, but the sugar would send him into an ultimate sugar crash. It could even put him in shock.

I would hope my kid would use better judgment, as he understands the consequences. But, in the pressure of the moment, I'm not sure he would. I would hope the leaders had better judgment.

:iagree:As much as I adore my Mt. Dew, chugging it seems a bit extreme.

I don't get the need to play what amounts to drinking games with soft drinks or water. The kids are chugging Dew this weekend. Are they playing Quarters next weekend? Maybe they are using dimes instead of quarters. Just to start them off slowly. Let's break out the candy cigarettes too.

Surly there are better ways to engage teens in fun activities.

I guess they are old enough to say no if they don't want to do it.

I'm always so negative about things like this because I just didn't have good experiences as a teenager. No, the above statemetn is not always true. As a teenager, I never said a direct 'no' to anyone because I didn't want them to not like me anymore. So either I was doing stuff I didn't want to do or I was lying to get out of it. I'm not the only person like that. I'm sad for the teens who go through it. It's not a good way to build trust at all.

I'd be interested in a very secret survey that asks all the teenagers how they personally feel about stunts like that. It could be an eye opening experience to the youth leaders.

I'd be irritated, too. I'd be irritated right from the start because of the game. Really? The youth leader thought chugging a 2-litre bottle of *anything* was a good game? Really? And chugging from the same bottle...no, that is just not ok.:glare:

chugging, at church? really?

:iagree: This is what would bother me. Youth group lets out at what 9pm. So now you have a child on an elevated sugar rush that won't go to bed, who has school the next day. In our case I'd be dealing with a child with the equivalent of a hangover the next day, which is not what I'd expect him to learn at youth group. That would make me a super happy teacher/mom, not.

We even allow Mountain Dew, we even do fun once in a while, but a liter of Mountain Dew on a weeknight. Seriously?

Oh but come on! How else are they going to be ready for beer bongs in college? :glare:

We have found that many youth groups are just training for future frat activities. The one at our last church included swallowing gold fish, teens driving fast and recklessly for scavenger hunt type activities, food fights, seeing who could stand barefoot in the snow the longest, boys and girls dressing each other, etc. (And those were just the things we were told about when others recommended it to us. :001_huh:)

We are not keen on wasting food (kind of the opposite of the point of Christian churches, imho) or of giving teens the impression that they must "blow off steam" and act stupid to have a good time. That would have made me more upset than the germ thing.

Oh but come on! How else are they going to be ready for beer bongs in college? :glare:

That's exactly what I was thinking! :001_huh:

Sooo irritating when groups have these activities that are clearly smoothing the path to other behaviors. Ds got a pingpong ball in cup game for his birthday, obviously getting ready for dorm room games of beer pong. woohoo. :lol: :glare:

I'm thinking you would anyone who was in charge of your kiddo since this is the case. Am I wrong there?

I understand the need to draw in the youth with irreverant and silly games. Not exactly my cup of tea. ;)

But the point most of us are upset over from a health POV is what you are overlooking as a Youth Leader. The idea of sharing or drinking from that bottle. Saliva can be the ideal mode of sharing any form of virus or Hepatitis, for example. In this day and age, that is absolutely unacceptable for an adult to allow youngsters to do this under their supervision. Boils right down to dumb manuevers and plain stupidity. The same idea applies to a church's coffee hour if the person in charge didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom and handled the donuts from box to platter with their hands. :ack2: Disgusting.

What about churches with a common cup? They just wipe off saliva--that doesn't wipe off germs.

Yes. Because obviously teens are too stupid and lazy to do more and better with their life and we wouldn't want to suggest otherwise for fear of them going off to party elsewhere.

What an insult to today's youth.

Youth group can be fun AND serve a better purpose than promoting stupidity and foolishness.

And this attitude is why my kids aren't in youth group.

Youth are usually in seeking mode. They are seeking meaning and purpose and truth. Giving them mostly junk and foolish games is a sad statement of what it means to live a life of faith.

I most fervently pray our youth is seeking more than junk food and foolishness in their lives in general and most certainly in their spiritual lives.

I wonder if so many leave when older bc they feel christianity bait and switched them. Lure them in that being Christian is all sweets and fun and then as adults they find they weren't equipped to deal with the harsh reality of spiritual struggles and moral decisions that can be very hard to make.

For me, this seems like a mountain out of a molehill.

Does your child like youth group? Are they growing spiritually? Are they making good quality relationships with other believers? Are they growing in their individual relationship with the Lord?

If so, then maybe this is one of those things where you roll your eyes and say "Teenagers/Youth Groups are weird" and move on.