Menu

Please tell me I am not the only mom who...

My dd would choose this every day. We let her do it a lot. I felt guilt about it for a while, until I realized that WOW, she is learning a ton. And learning to spell also. I mean she knows how to spell words we've never taught her in spelling "lessons".

On the other hand, we are becoming more unschool-y as we go along, so I'm getting more and more okay with just letting her read. We also have lots of fiction and non-fiction.

Um, yeah...for the last 2 hours, my kids have been researching "Extinct Animals", specifically extinct tigers. :glare: I am so tired of hearing about them right now. :tongue_smilie: You would think the 7 yro was working on his dissertation.

We're "supposed" to be doing grammar right now.

Why don't we all just have a cup of coffee? :D

Um, yeah...for the last 2 hours, my kids have been researching "Extinct Animals", specifically extinct tigers. :glare: I am so tired of hearing about them right now. :tongue_smilie: You would think the 7 yro was working on his dissertation.

We're "supposed" to be doing grammar right now.

Why don't we all just have a cup of coffee? :D

:lol::lol::lol: Hilarious!

Reading is fundamental!

I would be ecstatic if my daughter wanted to read all day.

My son on the other hand often needs to have the book extracted from his hand and led to his schoolwork by the ear. He's currently reading the Redwall Series. He read Eragon right before that.

Don't worry, it counts as school work; Reading silently. It's listed in the World Book Scope and Sequence.

Ds read the Hobbit today. That's pretty much it. He wanted to see if he could read it in one day (he's read it before.) The girls and I are busy on some contest prep stuff, so he is sort of wandering this week. And we were in the car or waiting places a lot. So that was his day. :001_smile:

Edited by angela in ohio

let's their dc read their book the whole day instead of doing school work?

I have allowed my ds to do this today and yesterday, because he is so in to "Eragon" and wants to finish it in two days. Just wondering if I am a super bad hs mom? :glare:

WOW! I love this idea. We are going to steal this. :thumbup:

You are a super cool HS mom. Reading Eragon in 2 days is a great idea. My son loved that one too a while back.

I've initiated it sometimes. :tongue_smilie: My oldest dd and I were reading Ch. 10 of The Story of Science (Aristotle) and she was confused about how you wouldn't have up/down in space. I put The Story of Science Away and got out Ender's Game because there is an excellent explanation of this very concept. We spent the rest of the day reading. :)

I have allowed my ds to do this today and yesterday, because he is so in to "Eragon" and wants to finish it in two days. Just wondering if I am a super bad hs mom? :glare:

I did that today. I am miserable with a cold, and kiddo read all afternoon.

Give it a fancy name and you'll feel better. The schools call it Sustained Silent Reading and it's all the rage.

I agree with the fancy name and you'll feel better. There were days that my kids wanted to read, especially when we came back from the library, or a cold, snow day and I'd call it at DEAR day (Drop Everything And Read). And that's exactly what we did.

But, I wonder if maybe there wasn't something wrong with me as a mom....because I never felt guilty for having a DEAR day!

Dd8 has been curled up on the couch with her Plutarch's Lives for Boys and Girls all morning. I was feeling vaguely guilty and negligent until I saw this thread, and thought, Like I should go pull her away from Coriolanus so she can do spelling? Maybe ring a bell on the hour so she can move on to the next subject?

It's just too cold to do anything but snuggle under a blanket and read. I know it's nothing compared to the Northeast, but somehow it's unjust to know that we'll hit 110 degrees in the summer and have to have sub-freezing daytime temperatures too. Pick one.

We have Silent Sustained Reading once a week, and for about 2 hours a day. It is my son's favorite lesson. It is also his number one reason for why he is happy to be a home schooled child. When he was in Private School he did not have enough time to read, only about 20 min a day. I would much rather he was exploring Narnia then doing a couple hours of busy work everyday. Once a month or so we have educational DVD day. He is currently watching Colonial House, Liberty Kids, and Mathtacular!

I would love be able to do this without feeling guilty. My two oldest have to be dragged away from their books constantly to do school (or chores). My oldest would read 24/7 if allowed, so I have to be the bad guy and tell her to put the book down so we can do math, etc. I'm going to keep rereading this thread, in hopes I may eventually feel absolved of the guilt and feel okay with sometime just letting them read. As it is, I constantly feel we're not getting enough done each day this year (baby in the house), but we do always at least get math done, and then they read a ton, so maybe, maybe I should relax a bit about that on those days and not beat myself up over them only getting math done sometimes.

We do it as a once-in-a-while treat, but on the average day, I help them learn to manage reading time along with everything else they have to do. Don't feel like the bad guy! :001_smile: I would love to read all day every day, but I have a family to raise and people counting on me; so I teach dc that it's fun, but it can't be used to avoid other responsibilities. It's usually a treat for the end of a productive day.

You're a superfantastic HS mom. How many of us would have loved this opportunity as kids and would have learned so much more than we did in a school day? So, I say, Go It, Mama!

P.S. I do this all the time. :tongue_smilie:

I would love be able to do this without feeling guilty. My two oldest have to be dragged away from their books constantly to do school (or chores). My oldest would read 24/7 if allowed, so I have to be the bad guy and tell her to put the book down so we can do math, etc. I'm going to keep rereading this thread, in hopes I may eventually feel absolved of the guilt and feel okay with sometime just letting them read. As it is, I constantly feel we're not getting enough done each day this year (baby in the house), but we do always at least get math done, and then they read a ton, so maybe, maybe I should relax a bit about that on those days and not beat myself up over them only getting math done sometimes.

IMHO, having a baby in the house is the perfect reason for letting them read all day! Take heart!

Yes it happens every time Mommy gets a new book:D.

:lol::lol::lol:

Here too! My kids are following the pattern. Nature or nurture, they will sit and read/look at books for hours!

I have many wonderful memories of Christmas afternoons when everyone in our entire family would be snuggled up on a sofa or sprawled in front of the fire with his or her first book from the morning's treasure....reading the day away with an occasional catnap or seconds on pie!

My idea of vacation is a beach, no housework and a stack of books! :D

I'm sure listening is not as good as reading, but DD has been sick yesterday and today and has listened to Despereaux and LWW on audiobook instead of doing school. So perhaps sustained listening can count for something too?!;)

Perk is that DS, 3.5 yo, has listened a lot too, while building legos or tying lacing in knots or whirling stuffed animals around his head or just being upside-down on the bed...