Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week five

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week five in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 books blog - D is for Ted Dekker: Dekker is one of my all time favorite authors. He writes supernatural thrillers which can scare the pants off you, but make you think as well. He also writes fantasy, mystery and horror. If you haven't read anything by him, check him out. He's a christian but doesn't like to label himself a christian writer. However, many of his book revolve around theme of good and evil. Angels versus demons, good versus bad. Chilling, scary, good books.

What are you all reading this week?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a new book - Full Mortality by Sasscer Hill. It is her debut novel and I meet her at Bouchercon. She pointed out her book to me and I bought it and now she's following my blog. The thing is I don't like the book and it has so many typos, I started proofreading instead of reading the story. Going to shelve it for now and go back to it later and maybe I'll be in the mood for it. Hopefully.

Going to read "Finder's Fee" by Alton Gansky instead, then move on to "Green" by Ted Dekker

Edited: changed my mind. Started Forsaken by Shadow by Kait Nolan on Nook when did treadmill today. Good, good, good.

Edited by Mytwoblessings

This week I will be finishing Rilla of Ingleside. I've managed to read the entire Anne of Green Gables series this month.

Also this week, I should be receiving Mere Churchianity by Michael Spencer and Pagan Christianityby Frank Viola. I should get through at least one of these this week.

So far I've been reading at least two books a week! I love my Kindle.

Last week I read One Second After by William Forschten and Escape by Carolyn Jessop. I enjoyed them both....good reading week:)

I started reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie yesterday. I am only about 60 pages it. Please tell me it gets better. I am bored to tears!

I think i'll check out a Ted Dekker book this week as well. I have heard he's really good.

Enough of the post-apocalyptic stuff! I finished Far North and have moved on to a lightweight mystery, Death Before Wicket. I have not read anything by Kerry Greenwood before but the book jackets charmed me.

I also plan on reading another in the series of reissued novels that the Bloomsbury Group is publishing. I have Mrs. Tim of the Regiment in my hands thanks to dear Nan.

On another note, the new National Geographic arrived and every article looks compelling---from feathers to Afghan poppy fields to underground Paris. I look forward to reading it as well.

I finished Watership Down by Adams yesterday and posted a review today.

I tried reading Fresh Food from Small Places by Ruppenthal and gave up. It had lots of ideas but seemed short on practical advice.

I have several books on my stack this week. Most likely I'll read Over Sea, Under Stone by Cooper and In the Hall of the Dragon King by Lawhead first, so I can hopefully hand them off to my 11yo to read. I also have The Three Musketeers by Dumas and several other books on my stack. We'll see how far I get.

I have finished Book #6--'Passionate Minds by David Bodanis (a glimpse of the Age of the Enlightenment through the lens of the affair between Emilie DuChatelet and Voltaire, very good book) and Book #7--Call of the Wild by Jack London.

I am now reading Joanna Trollope's 'Marrying the Mistress' and 'How to Read a French Fry' by Russ Parsons.

My daughter and I are finishing "The Gawgon and The Boy" by Lloyd Alexander today (two chapters to go!), and we intend to start the second book in the Harry Potter series tonight.

I finished reading "Mary, Bloody Mary" last week (young adult historical fiction, part of the Young Royals series by Carolyn Meyer) and started "Beware, Princess Elizabeth," which I should finish this week.

I finished Charles and Emma and I loved it. What a great love story even though it skeeves me out that they were first cousins. The book gives a great look into Darwin's personal and scientific life. He was an amazing man and she an amazing woman.

I should finish Religion Explained today or tomorrow.

I don't know what I will read next. Not sure what I'm in the mood for.

Finished listening to Extraordinary, Ordinary People by Condoleezza Rice. I'm in the middle of When the Brain Can't Hear, about auditory processing disorder. I've also started listening to The Dance of Intimacy. Up next, I'll be reading Saltwater Buddha. I think I need to take a fiction vacation soon!

List for the year so far:

1. I Run, Therefore I’m Nuts

2. Forbidden Nation: A History of Taiwan

3. Pre

4. Extraordinary, Ordinary People

5. When the Brain Can’t Hear

6. The Dance of Intimacy

7. Saltwater Buddha

This week I finished:

#7 - Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard, by Liz Murray. This was a page-turner. Hard to read in terms of what she lived through, yet inspiring because of what she lived through - and overcame. I checked her website after I finished the book and what she is doing with her life is amazing.

I am currently reading light fiction:

#8 - Watch Over Me, by Christa Parrish.

I will likely conclude it today then will follow with one of a couple library reserve books that came in at the same time. First will be Raising the Dead by Chauncey W. Crandall, IV, MD. I am looking forward to his book.

Finished The Red Queen, Phillippa Gregory's fictional account of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII. Enjoyed it. Also read Run by Ann Patchett (Bel Canto) for my book club. Enjoyed that too. Started Three Cups of Tea last night. 2011 so far:

2011 Reading List

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

I read Jane and Prudence and Some Tame Gazelle, both by Barbara Pym. I didn't care for the first one that much, but I liked the second one quite a bit. I also read Agnes Grey - I've read it before but it's been a while. I love that book. Also read The Children of Battleship Row by Joan Zuber Earle, Not Quite a Mom by Kirsten Sawyer and finished Bret Harte's Gold Rush.

I'm still reading Bodies Like Bright Stars and I just started The Best of Clarence Day, which my SIL gave me to read.

So I read 17 books for January, not counting the ones I read with the kids. That doesn't seem like that many to me :confused:

I enjoy seeing what others are reading and I'm putting some on my to-read list.

I started reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie yesterday. I am only about 60 pages it. Please tell me it gets better. I am bored to tears!

I'm with you (in the minority of readers, I guess). I didn't really care for this book, but I did finish it. Flavia was just way too precocious for me.

I read Jane and Prudence and Some Tame Gazelle, both by Barbara Pym. I didn't care for the first one that much, but I liked the second one quite a bit.

I'm about 10 pages into her Excellent Women. If I want more, I'll start with Some Tame Gazelle. :001_smile:

I just finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. There were many great lines, but one of my favorites was "...if the mother has spent in chasing men the years in which she should have been preparing herself to educate her children, so much the worse for the child." :D I really enjoyed the book, even if I don't agree with Scott's political assertions at the end.

I think that makes 8 or 9 books, which is good, because I start The Landmark Herodotus next, and that will take me more than a week.

Last week I finished The Irresistible Henry House and Noah's Compass (I have reviews of both in my blog). I was lukewarm at best on both of those, so I'm hoping for a winner this week.

I started Roseanne Cash's memoir, Composed, but I was having trouble getting into it and someone on here had read it and not liked it, so I think I've pretty much given up on it.

So now I'm reading Howard's End (my first classic of the year and the first EM Forster I've ever read) and Dave Egger's Zeitoun. I'm afraid Zeitoun is proving more riveting than Howard's End at the moment, so I suspect I'm going to finish it first. I'm also listening to David Sedaris' "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary" as an audiobook.

I finished 2 books! I finished Anges Grey by Anne Bronte...the last 10 chapters where the most interesting and I really liked the end.

I also finished the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis...he gives a lot to think about and it was a very interesting though provoking read.

I started The Adventures of Huck Finn while in the car and am reading 321 money something on my phone when I need something to read.

Next up The Color of Water.

I just haven't had much time to read these past few days, so I am still reading book #3, The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. This week's schedule is a bit lighter, so I should have time to finish the remaining 100 pages and then start in on book #4, if all goes as planned.

I have started "Buddha in Your Backpack" and will probably finish it tonight as it is very fast reading.

Next I am going to read The Search for Wondla.

Complete list:

1. Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time

2. Nickel and Dimed

3. Your Child’s Strengths; Dragon’s Egg

4. The Happiness Project; the Jesus Wars; Tales from the Odyssey Part 1

5. Buddha in my Backpack; The Search for Wondla

I had a busy reading week...This past week, I read:

1) Cullum by E. Arnot Robertson: A 1928 novel about an intense and ultimately heartbreaking first love.

2) Just William by Richmal Crompton: A humorous book of short stories about the misadventures of a schoolboy and his friends. This was a fun read & though for children, intelligently written.

3) The Mitchells: Five for Victory by Hilda van Stockum: Another children's book...The book follows the adventures of the five Mitchell children during WWII.

4) How to Run Your Home Without Help by Kay Smallshaw: Written for British housewives in 1949 when "help" was scarce due to the war. I was pleasantly surprised by this book & learned quite a lot from it. I'm sure I'll be referring back to it often.

I started Roseanne Cash's memoir, Composed, but I was having trouble getting into it and someone on here had read it and not liked it, so I think I've pretty much given up on it.

I read it a couple of weeks ago. I thought the last part of the book was better than the first but I don't really understand why she wrote the book. It was a waste of her time and mine.

I just finished an illustrated novel which I'd say is aimed at about ages ten and up; I'm in the "up" category and I enjoyed it very much.

Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deutsch

From Booklist:

"Set in a well-realized contemporary Orthodox Jewish community, this sweet and engaging tale of 11-year-old Mirka’s thirst for a dragon-slaying adventure unfolds in well-integrated images and text. Mirka’s family includes a stepmother who is strict but not evil, a marriage-obsessed older sister, and a little brother for whom Mirka alternately takes responsibility and finds unwontedly cumbersome. Deutsch creates authentic characters spiced with just enough fantasy to surprise: the members of the community use Yiddish and Hebrew expressions, which are translated as they appear in the text, and the arrival of a talking pig in the village presents a challenge for Mirka, as pig and girl compete to outmaneuver each other in arguments as well as actions. And then there’s the space alien who challenges Mirka to knit for her life. Details of Orthodox daily life are well blended into the art and given just the right touches of explanation to keep readers on track. Mirka is a spunky, emotionally realistic, and fun heroine for her peers to discover. --Francisca Goldsmith"

Regards,

Kareni

I have finished Book #6--'Passionate Minds by David Bodanis (a glimpse of the Age of the Enlightenment through the lens of the affair between Emilie DuChatelet and Voltaire, very good book) and Book #7--Call of the Wild by Jack London.

I am now reading Joanna Trollope's 'Marrying the Mistress' and 'How to Read a French Fry' by Russ Parsons.

We read this also this past week. Ds liked it so much we are now reading White Fang. I just finished Ask the Animals by Bruce Coston, which was Book #8. I haven't yet decided what I'll read myself, but will update once choose.

I read Jane and Prudence and Some Tame Gazelle, both by Barbara Pym. I didn't care for the first one that much, but I liked the second one quite a bit. I also read Agnes Grey - I've read it before but it's been a while. I love that book. Also read The Children of Battleship Row by Joan Zuber Earle, Not Quite a Mom by Kirsten Sawyer and finished Bret Harte's Gold Rush.

I'm still reading Bodies Like Bright Stars and I just started The Best of Clarence Day, which my SIL gave me to read.

So I read 17 books for January, not counting the ones I read with the kids. That doesn't seem like that many to me :confused:

I enjoy seeing what others are reading and I'm putting some on my to-read list.

Am I reading this right? You read 17 books this month? And don't think it seems like much? Wow!

Good for you:)

lisa

I finished Charles and Emma and I loved it.

This looks really good. Added it to my wish list.

2) Just William by Richmal Crompton: A humorous book of short stories about the misadventures of a schoolboy and his friends. This was a fun read & though for children, intelligently written.

3) The Mitchells: Five for Victory by Hilda van Stockum: Another children's book...The book follows the adventures of the five Mitchell children during WWII.

4) How to Run Your Home Without Help by Kay Smallshaw: Written for British housewives in 1949 when "help" was scarce due to the war. I was pleasantly surprised by this book & learned quite a lot from it. I'm sure I'll be referring back to it often.

Just William is on its way to us. I grew up loving the TV show. :)

Would you say that The Mitchells would appeal to older children?

I like the look of How to Run Your Home Without Help. :)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Forgotten Garden. Very good so far. Not the absolute best book ever, but good. :)

6a00e54ed05fc2883301156f18b0aa970c-800wi

This week I read the second book in the Kristin Lavrandsdattar trilogy by Sigrid Undset: The Wife.

Lots of interesting details about life in 14th century Norway.

On to the third----The Cross.

I want to read these this year! How are they? (Off to add to my ever-growing to-read list.)

I finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks this week. It's my 3rd non-fiction so far, and the topics have been quite varied; from the bond market, to cooking, to biology. I was telling dh that I feel like I've been living inside a bubble and I'm finally getting a glimpse outside!

Up next is Strong-Willed Child or Dreamer? by Dana Spears & Ron Braund. While I'm interested in the topic, it's not quite as engaging as the previous books have been. I hope I can keep up the pace and finish it by next weekend.

I want to read these this year! How are they? (Off to add to my ever-growing to-read list.)

Well, the two I've finished have held my interest. I love historical fiction and these didn't disappoint me from a historical standpoint. I really enjoyed reading about the variety of religious beliefs and customs of 14th century Norway. Plus, Undset is a talented story-teller.

The trilogy is a huge, sweeping saga of a story.

I kept hearing about Kristin Lavransdattar on these boards (from Kalamanak and a couple of others) and finally decided to read it this year.

I read a lot this week! I'm on a roll!

I read Kage Baker's Gods and Pawns, and a GREAT YA book on the Civil Rights Movement called Spies of Mississippi. If your teen is learning about MLK Jr or anything like that, this is a really good choice.

I also read So Long A Letter by Mariama Ba, a Senegalese writer. It's a very short novel in the form of a letter from one woman to her best friend; both of them have suffered from their society's polygamous customs.

Now I'm reading Bill Bryson's new book, At Home. Very fun and interesting.

I've got 3 books going:

I'm reading River of Lakes: A Journey on Florida's St. Johns River. It is a wonderful natural history of that stretch of Florida. I live on the other side of the country but have been fascinated by Florida when visiting there this last year -- it is so stinking flat!! And the trees, and the birds, and the precipitation and and the flatness are so different from arid Southen California.

I'm also reading The Atlantic by Simon Winchester because he is such a terrific writer.

And I'm listening when I'm in the car to yet another Terry Pratchett book, The Nightwatch. It is a good one -- a Sam Vimes story and I just love him.

Continuing my Flavia de Luce bent, I am reading The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (did I get that right???) by C. Alan Bradley. Gotta love Flavia.

Reading Call of the Wild (London) to the kids.

And I'm counting my psychology textbook! But I won't be able to put it on my list as complete until probably week twenty-something!