Menu

I'm finally selling all my wedding and Christmas dishes and going completely White!

I got 7 place settings plus a couple of serving pieces of Lenox china when we got married. I can count on one hand the # of times I've used them. (They're not very versatile... off white with a navy and gold trim.) Several years ago, my MIL gave me several boxes with Nikko Christmastime dishes and serving pieces, plus quite a few pieces from another set that used to be sold at Macy's.

In my minimalist pursuits, I've decided to sell them all and use the money to buy things I'll really use all year round, not just once (or less) a year. So I'm wanting to buy white dishes that I can really use. Lots of them. Then, we we have guests with large families, church gatherings, or holidays, I'll have all the white (or maybe clear) dishes I need. One pattern, one color. Easily replaceable.

My question is...what are your favorite (and most economical) white dishes? Crate and Barrel? Pottery Barn? I want something simple and classic that's been around a while and will be easy to replace when one gets broken.

If you prefer clear glass, I'm open to that, too. Give me your best sales pitch!

Lisa

I don't have a sales pitch, but about a year ago I went all white too. SO much easier and looks nice on any table. I chose the cheap and easily replaced Corelle and love it. We have seven kids and they get a lot of use. If I were to start over, I'd consider Ikea's all-white tablewear, or something from a restaurant supply store. Enjoy! (I have clear plates and they're too smudgy. They have to be perfectly shiny to look clean).

I did the same thing last year and went with Williams-Sonoma Everyday Dinnerware: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/everyday-restaurant-porcelain-dinnerware-place-setting/?pkey=

I love it, but the plate sizes are slightly smaller than many other brands. Helps with portion size, however! We went with the 4-piece settings with salad and dinner plates, soup bowls, and mugs then added cereal bowls too.

I found white serving pieces at Target and Pottery Barn.

I've thought about doing this myself, but I so love my Fiestaware in it's many colors!

Which brings me to this: Fiesta has lovely white dishes and that's one color they'll never retire. I've had my Fiesta for 8 years and none of it has chipped yet.

:iagree: This is what I have and love. (White Fiestaware)

Edited by TN Mama

I don't know if you have this where you live but Cost Plus World Market has my white dishes.

I agree. I bought our white dishes at World Market. If you register at the website for email coupons, they sent them regularly. I wait until a new coupon comes in (several have been $10 off $30) and buy a few more settings. They're sold as individual pieces (plate, bowl, etc.), so it's easy to replace a broken dish when it happens.

My only worry/complaint is that ceramic dishes chip. Our old tempered glass plates (from WalMart -- $15 on clearance for 8 - 4 piece plate settings!!) have not cracked or chipped at all in 10 years. If we hadn't lost some of the pieces to drops on hard tile floors, I'd still be happily using them.

I love plain glass dishes, but most of the ones I've seen lately are too thin and aren't tempered. If anyone is de-cluttering and wants to sell some Candlewick dishes, I'd be willing to buy them... ;-)

We have fiestaware and it's nearly indestructible. We've been building our set for 12 years and have literally never broken or chipped anything. And I've dropped the plates from height. They're not the most beautiful plates in the world, but they have a nice basic, solid look to them. And every other kind of dishes I've owned eventually chip and will break if dropped, so they've been more than worth it. I think they'll last forever.

Enjoy your new dishes!

I've thought about doing this myself, but I so love my Fiestaware in it's many colors!

Which brings me to this: Fiesta has lovely white dishes and that's one color they'll never retire. I've had my Fiesta for 8 years and none of it has chipped yet.

Ditto!! Not going minimalist but going Fiestaware now. Getting rid of my dishes from my wedding which was 19 years ago. Now getting RED and NAVY BLUE Fiestaware. :D:D

I do have all white dishes but I rarely use them except for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners when we have the family over. The last time I had family over for a big dinner was 4 years ago so that was the last time I used the white dishes. My fiestaware, we use every day. I just buy the 8' plates for now. I am buying little at a time especially when Kohls have them on sale. Once I get the number of plates I want I will start buying bowls. I am just sticking with plates and bowls for now. Not sure if I want to buy the other stuff. My boys do the dishes so I really need a durable dishes and Fiestaware is taking the beating from the boys very well. My daughter is not doing the dishes yet but will in a few years. I am sure she will be much gentler!!

Holly

I use the all white Corelle. Because they are inexpensive and stack well, I can have a ton of them and never need to use paper plates when we have many guests. I can't imagine the money and waste they have saved me!

Me, too. Mine are called Enhancements. Here's a link:

http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=61&pId=44

I love white because you can dress it up or down however you want. I've put it with checkered napkins for barbeques and red and gold for Christmas. Gee, I sound like Martha Stewart. :)

Edited by Mejane

I have a LOT of plain white Corelle and they are my ONLY dish set!

The nice thing is that they never go out of style and you can add to them anytime you need to.

I got a large set when we got married and have added things through the years.

I have:

12 large plates (10")

12 bowls

12 salad plates (8")

12 dessert plates (6")

4 large oval serving platters

12 pasta bowls- LOVE THESE!

4 large serving bowls

I have one large soup bowl that is about the size of take out rice bowls and I want more of those....we like that bowl a lot.

I no longer have any mugs as they all broke, but I much prefer a missmash of mugs from places I have visited, etc....

Dawn

I use the all white Corelle. Because they are inexpensive and stack well, I can have a ton of them and never need to use paper plates when we have many guests. I can't imagine the money and waste they have saved me!

We have fiestaware and it's nearly indestructible. We've been building our set for 12 years and have literally never broken or chipped anything. And I've dropped the plates from height. They're not the most beautiful plates in the world, but they have a nice basic, solid look to them. And every other kind of dishes I've owned eventually chip and will break if dropped, so they've been more than worth it. I think they'll last forever.

Enjoy your new dishes!

Blasphemer! Fiestaware is gorgeous. :)

We went white a couple years ago, but dh (who is a chef and believes food tastes better when it is pretty) wanted a variety of white dishes to suit different meals. So instead of a set, we have bought 4-6 of this or that we saw and liked. We have round, square, rectangular, and square with rounded corners. Some have come from places like Crate and Barrel, some have come from Walmart. I even found some at the Dollar Tree once. They all look nice together because we have been careful to get the same shade of white (I keep several pics on my phone for guidance) and the different shapes lend a sort of organic look to the table.

I have Pfaltzgraff. I have both Heritage and Filigree, and then inherited my Aunt's set of Heritage, and I adore them.

http://www.pfaltzgraff.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Pfaltzgraff-Site/default/Search-ShowCategories?cgid=patterns

I dunno, I've done the minimalist thing. I'm collecting, now. How much do you want for your Lenox? :P

Edited by justamouse

So many great suggestions. Thanks ladies! I found out there's a Fiestaware outlet in Canton, TX, not too terribly far from me. I might just collect one white plate apiece from several different stores and use them as a trial until I decide which one to buy more of. I was originally leaning toward Crate and Barrel, but now I'm not sure. You've all given me great leads to follow.

As for the Lenox, since several of you asked, I have Lenox Liberty. Was planning to sell them on ebay, one 5 piece place setting at a time, with extra auctions for the 2 additional serving pieces I have.

Thanks again everyone. This has been very helpful!

Lisa

Here it is for $200 for service for 8. Still pricey' date=' but it is pretty. :)[/quote']

Ah, yes. I love Mikasa. My original "everyday" dishes for our wedding were English Countryside. Mine have not weathered the years very well, though. My serving pieces all look great, but my dinner plates and bowls have so many gray marks and crazing/crackling in them. They just haven't stayed looking as nice as I thought they would. I really like English, French, and Italian Countryside patterns, though.

I did the same thing last year and went with Williams-Sonoma Everyday Dinnerware: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/everyday-restaurant-porcelain-dinnerware-place-setting/?pkey=

I love it, but the plate sizes are slightly smaller than many other brands. Helps with portion size, however! We went with the 4-piece settings with salad and dinner plates, soup bowls, and mugs then added cereal bowls too.

I found white serving pieces at Target and Pottery Barn.

Yes, I saw these yesterday. I'm very tempted by them, but the plate size was a bit of a concern. With a hubby and 5 boys, appetites run large around here. Not sure if they'll appreciate the smaller size.:tongue_smilie:

Yes, I do have several of the plain white Corelle (Winter Frost, I think they're called.) My kids use these every day for breakfast and lunch. My guys all do the dishes, and even though we've broken a couple (into a million pieces on the tile floor!), they're great. I do like that they stack together so compactly. I'm hooked on Corelle for everyday at home. But something about Corelle just doesn't seem upscale enough for holiday dinners, special events, etc... I'm wanting to keep it very basic and white, but want something a notch up from the Corelle.

Did you have a link for this because I couldn't find an service for 8 set at my BBB link?

Oh no - I forgot to paste the link! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Countryside-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5OTYK

You can see why it didn't come up in the search as it's listed including the serving pieces and the price is 11 cents short of $200. Sorry! :tongue_smilie:

Just noticed it's also eligible for 4 for 3 promotion. I never even knew Amazon had that!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I have Pfaltzgraff Heritage. They have been very easy to replace when needed. I really want Fiestaware though. After 12 years, I am bored with the white. I want some color in there now.

I have had these same dishes for 14 years now. Someday I'll do something different. We have only lost one bowl in all of that time, so they have been very good for a family with three boys.

Ditto!! Not going minimalist but going Fiestaware now. Getting rid of my dishes from my wedding which was 19 years ago. Now getting RED and NAVY BLUE Fiestaware. :D:D

I do have all white dishes but I rarely use them except for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners when we have the family over. The last time I had family over for a big dinner was 4 years ago so that was the last time I used the white dishes. My fiestaware, we use every day. I just buy the 8' plates for now. I am buying little at a time especially when Kohls have them on sale. Once I get the number of plates I want I will start buying bowls. I am just sticking with plates and bowls for now. Not sure if I want to buy the other stuff. My boys do the dishes so I really need a durable dishes and Fiestaware is taking the beating from the boys very well. My daughter is not doing the dishes yet but will in a few years. I am sure she will be much gentler!!

Holly

This is basically what I'm doing. Not all white, but completely mix and match. I have these and I *love* them. I've got burgandy, white, blue, green, and gold. I don't even match place settings - you may have a red plate and green salad plate and blue soup bowl.

I saw them when I was visiting dh's grandparents about 12 years ago and I fell in love with them then.

One of my relatives has Fiestaware that they display but never use! It's all so gorgeous, so brilliantly colored, and they have so many pieces and full sets, so many colors, and large bowls and platters. They have displayed in the dinning room, in a gorgeous antique cabinet. I want to use the stuff and play with it and fondle it... I am nowhere near close enough (cousin) to even get one single bowl. Wah!!!!! I would use those things day and night and wake up for a midnight snack to use them again. lol

LL - sounds like you and I have the same love for dishes. It drives dh batty - really, how many plates can a person use? But I love having and using beautiful things! It makes me smile to see people who've never even touched antique china eating their dinner off of them. My kids love, love, love tea parties with real cups and saucers with gold on the rims. Poor Grandma would have a heart attack if she could see the 4 yo boy using her china, but he hasn't broken anything yet (knock on wood).

Oh no - I forgot to paste the link! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Countryside-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5OTYK

You can see why it didn't come up in the search as it's listed including the serving pieces and the price is 11 cents short of $200. Sorry! :tongue_smilie:

Just noticed it's also eligible for 4 for 3 promotion. I never even knew Amazon had that!

Awesome! This would be significantly cheaper than 8 sets times $40. Thanks so much.

:iagree: This is exactly what I did a couple of years ago, except I didn't choose all white. I chose white with a scrolling black pattern around the edge. I love Corelle because they hardly ever break or chip and I don't plan to buy any more dishes for 20 or more years. I wanted to have enough that when I have extended family dinners, I do not need to use paper plates, but I can throw everything in the dishwasher. So far that plan is excellent!

I did something similar, though I kept all the china for that extra special occasion I'm sure will come up -- maybe the Queen will visit or something. Now company dinners are on Mikasa Italian Countryside. I got the buffet sets (no bowls, fine for me since I never serve soup to company) on Housewares Daily Deals before Christmas. It was my gift from dh. I love them!

• 1 month later...

Just an update:

After going back and forth btwn. Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, and White Fiestaware (what's the point in that, right?) I started reading some online reviews of the Canopy dishes by Walmart. Never thought I'd consider the WM dishes, but reviewers (who had owned Williams Sonoma, Potter Barn, and the like) said they were every bit as nice if not better. The reviews were fabulous. And a 16 pc. set is only around $32 including tax. I have found some minor flaws upon opening some of the sets, but have bought enough to repackage the flawed pieces and cobble together complete sets without blemishes. I return the flawed sets to WM. I have 16 complete sets right now, but would like to get a total of 24-30 complete settings.

The plates are nice and large. The Pottery Barn ones are smaller, as I understand it. The mugs are large, too. With 5 boys doing the dishes, I don't have to worry about breakage. Each piece averages out to about $2, so what's to worry about? I'm so happy with my new white dishes! Here's a link:

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/7942615/canopy-round-white-porcelain-16-piece-dinnerware-set-reviews/reviews.htm

Thanks to all who weighed in!