Menu

Does no one want to hire

a 30 something mom who has been out of work for years? Do they really not?

Dh's hours have been cut to the point that he can't even buy gas to go to work. He's suffering from depression, sleeping all the time, and not applying for jobs like he should. The few he has applied for we haven't heard from. I've been putting in applications everywhere I go. Every shop, grocery store, pharmacy. I've not heard anything yet, and I'm starting to feel really panicky about the situation.

Dh's hours have been cut to the point that he can't even buy gas to go to work. He's suffering from depression, sleeping all the time, and not applying for jobs like he should. The few he has applied for we haven't heard from. I've been putting in applications everywhere I go. Every shop, grocery store, pharmacy. I've not heard anything yet, and I'm starting to feel really panicky about the situation.

I'd suggest taking your dh to the doctor, see if there's something they can do for his depression. If he's depressed, he probably doesn't even have the drive to get in the shower, let alone get out there and find a job.

Don't give up-college classes have started back up, maybe that will create some opportunities. I work in a grocery store and love it. Maybe go talk to them and let them know you are still interested. Managers are really busy and have more irons in the fire than they probably should have. Perhaps your application got misplaced.

Also, working as a sub in the school lunch rooms, I never had to want for work. After filling out the paperwork, I went to the cafeterias and introduced myself to the lady in charge and let her know I was available to work any day. That way you become more than a name on a sheet of paper. If you go when they call you, they will call back.

Also check out indeed.com for job leads for you and your dh. Good luck!!

Debbi

We don't have insurance or money, so I don't know how he'd go to the dr.

Isn't there... I don't know what these things are called there (I'm not in the US) -- some kind of free clinic? Something for people who don't have the insurance thing? I mean, lower income families do get healthcare right?

I see more older/retired folks than twenty-somethings. So' date=' I think it's worth a try to apply for something.

I know my dh's boss prefers to hire older and retired people for jobs, especially the ones that involve driving. :auto:

hth

K[/quote']

Are you saying I'm old? :lol: (JK, I needed something to laugh about)

I just want to encourage you to ask everyone you know about any openings they know about. Ask in the businesses you normally frequent, ask at the library. You may find something you hadn't even considered!

As for your dh, has he tried taking vitamin D3? Some depression is caused by deficiency in that, and it's more likely if you live in colder regions. Rectifiying that can make a tremendous difference.

Keep going back. I got a job I really wanted because I filled out several applications and the personnel director kept seeing my name. Some places won't let you fill out an app more than once in a set time period. Ow, it's worth a try. Also, ask to speak to someone if possible. If they see and talk to you, you'll stand out better. Agree you should be networking everyone you know. Good luck!

Keep going back. I got a job I really wanted because I filled out several applications and the personnel director kept seeing my name. Some places won't let you fill out an app more than once in a set time period. Ow, it's worth a try. Also, ask to speak to someone if possible. If they see and talk to you, you'll stand out better. Agree you should be networking everyone you know. Good luck!

:iagree:

Have you tried at a temp agency? They often do skills assessments so they know where they can place you. That would be a foot in the door somewhere.

I agree. And if you feel you have no skills in that area, go out and get a PCs for Dummies book and Office 10 for Dummies. Office 10 can give folks fits, so if you have skills in that area, you can be valuable to a temp agency (at least in this area). FWIW, our library carries all of these editions. I hope yours does too!

Nope. I had one interview where the man told me that he was going to say his reasoning for not hiring me was that he can't prove work history on me (of the two places on my resume that were applicable to the line of work, one had closed down and the other has been so long it most likely has another manager...this was for a WAITRESSING job where they hire teenagers and college kids!). His real reason was that I was a mom and wouldn't work Sunday mornings (basically, you can jerk teenagers around easier than a family person).

I agree. And if you feel you have no skills in that area, go out and get a PCs for Dummies book and Office 10 for Dummies. Office 10 can give folks fits, so if you have skills in that area, you can be valuable to a temp agency (at least in this area). FWIW, our library carries all of these editions. I hope yours does too!

I'm horrible at office work, but i"ll try. How do I find a temp agency? The library has PC's for dummies, but not the Office 10 for dummies. There was a few hits for 97 and 2000

Just keep trying. I am a 40 something mom who has been looking for part time work. It is a frustrating experience. I am noticing in my area that most of the part time jobs listed are for 35 hours a week. That is not part time. That is an employer looking for full time work without supplying benefits.

Nope. I had one interview where the man told me that he was going to say his reasoning for not hiring me was that he can't prove work history on me (of the two places on my resume that were applicable to the line of work, one had closed down and the other has been so long it most likely has another manager...this was for a WAITRESSING job where they hire teenagers and college kids!). His real reason was that I was a mom and wouldn't work Sunday mornings (basically, you can jerk teenagers around easier than a family person).

:iagree: Yep. All of this. A few places I worked there is no one there left that knows me, so they can't verify my work history. And I'm getting the impression that teens are more hireable because they have more flexible hours, don't have the same family commitments, and are more trainable.

I just want to encourage you to ask everyone you know about any openings they know about. Ask in the businesses you normally frequent, ask at the library. You may find something you hadn't even considered!

I was going to suggest this, too. If I had to find a job, I would start asking everyone about openings at their place of work. Especially if they are in a hiring position (manager/supervisor/etc).

:iagree: Yep. All of this. A few places I worked there is no one there left that knows me, so they can't verify my work history. And I'm getting the impression that teens are more hireable because they have more flexible hours, don't have the same family commitments, and are more trainable.

Exactly, though I had (mistakenly apparently) thought they would see the plus side of being a matronly adult: mature/responsible (aka, I'm not going to call off to go to a concert or fight with my boyfriend in the lobby), able to multi-task, understand the needs of customers in a family restaurant, etc.

Nope, they only care that they can jerk around your schedule and see a person having kids as "oh, what happens when her kid gets sick" (though in factory work and because my husband is male, they see it as someone that is more likely to work as much as possible and more likely to be a strong and steady, long term worker because he has a family to support).

I'm horrible at office work, but i"ll try. How do I find a temp agency? The library has PC's for dummies, but not the Office 10 for dummies. There was a few hits for 97 and 2000

Guess what -- an adult who's horrible at office work is still a much better temp than a kid who's horrible at office work. I'm serious. :) Also, many temp jobs will be a 1 or 2 day job. Then, if you get into a place and aren't seriously horrible, when the need arises again, they will not call the temp agency and ask for a temp, they'll likely ask if you are available. You, even an imperfect office worker, are a known quantity.

And, like Brigitte said, a decent temp agency will test your skills. So, they will do their best to not put you in over your head. Also, they will willingly retest you as your skills improve.

Also, sometimes a job is simply collating and stapling because the "big copier" is awaiting repair*. Or, packing boxes for giveaways for a company golf outing. So, if you feel you have zero PC skills at the moment, don't be afraid to talk to a temp agency. Ours are generally listed still in the yellow pages.

Good luck! I can tell by your reply that something will break in a good way for you soon. Your willingness to go outside your comfort zone is a winner's attitude. :hurray:

*I had one job where this was the case. I couldn't figure out why they didn't just send the job out to a copier place. Turned out there was no budget for "supplies" but there was for temps!

Edited by nono
eta: verbs are generally good to have in a summary sentence.

I basically have no work history. I got married young, had kids right away, and then went back to school when I had two kids and had no time for even a little part time job. So once I graduated, I went job hunting and kept losing jobs to people who had work experience. I wasn't picky at all either. It can be really hard in this economy. One job I applied for ended up hiring a designer who had lost her job at a local newspaper after seven years. I just can't compete with that.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I hope something to lift your husband's spirits comes his way, soon. There are many, many folks in a similar position, including my brother and his wife. :grouphug: He's gotta hang tough.

We have a different problem here. We're trying to hire a part-time office administration person (strong work ethic, honest and smart are about the only qualifications we seek) as well as an IT support tech and, man, there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for work!

My husband called one candidate whose resume he'd found on the internet, the guy has been unemployed for nearly 2 years. After the first question, the guy said, "Is this going to lead anywhere?" DH answered, "Well, we're hiring, I guess it depends on your answers to the questions." The candidate hung up.

Not hungry enough, I guess. On the bright side, the stunted interview probably saved us a bad hire.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I hope something to lift your husband's spirits comes his way, soon. There are many, many folks in a similar position, including my brother and his wife. :grouphug: He's gotta hang tough.

We have a different problem here. We're trying to hire a part-time office administration person (strong work ethic, honest and smart are about the only qualifications we seek) as well as an IT support tech and, man, there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for work!

My husband called one candidate whose resume he'd found on the internet, the guy has been unemployed for nearly 2 years. After the first question, the guy said, "Is this going to lead anywhere?" DH answered, "Well, we're hiring, I guess it depends on your answers to the questions." The candidate hung up.

Not hungry enough, I guess. On the bright side, the stunted interview probably saved us a bad hire.

Well, gosh. If we lived in central TX, my Dh could be your IT guy. And I meet your qualifications for an office worker. :D We just live a few hundred miles too far away.

Many temp agencies specialize in office workers but Manpower is one that deals with all kinds of skilled and unskilled workers. They are located all over the US and Canada so you can see if you have one local. They will ask very detailed questions to see every area of strength and knowledge you may have (even ones you may not have thought of) and test you on anything testable (typing, word processing, software programs, etc.). They are very popular around here among both employees and employers.

Many temp agencies specialize in office workers but Manpower is one that deals with all kinds of skilled and unskilled workers. They are located all over the US and Canada so you can see if you have one local. They will ask very detailed questions to see every area of strength and knowledge you may have (even ones you may not have thought of) and test you on anything testable (typing, word processing, software programs, etc.). They are very popular around here among both employees and employers.

Also "Labor Ready" is another. Both temp services fill office, factory, and other positions. Many times these can lead to permanent employment offers (I know many companies that will only hire through temp services...it's a way of "test driving" employees).

We don't have insurance or money, so I don't know how he'd go to the dr.

Have you applied for medicaid and food stamps? If you're living on your DH's unemployment, there's a good chance you qualify.

As for where you've been applying, a lot of places aren't hiring this time of year. It tends to be lean season in retail.

I'd try call centers. Not fun, but many of them hire "no experience necessary", have fixed hours, and train you completely in what they want you to do.

Isn't there... I don't know what these things are called there (I'm not in the US) -- some kind of free clinic? Something for people who don't have the insurance thing? I mean, lower income families do get healthcare right?

No. Lower income CHILDREN get healthcare. Lower income ADULTS get nothing. Hence, the historic "job-killing" healthcare reform legislation our President signed last year which is supposed to provide some form of health insurance for EVERY American, and which some legislators are trying to repeal AS I TYPE THIS.

Unemployed? Too bad. A trip to the doctor will cost you an arm and a leg. But really, it's the unemployed person's fault, right? They made bad decisions that got them where they are, right? At least that's what I read in a different thread here a while back...

:lol: :glare: No.

Low income w/o insurance Pregnant women and children do in every state.

Men don't get Jack in most states.

There are a few free clinics. Be prepared to sit for the entire day in hopes of getting in, and you might not. And clinics don't fill rx. Still have to find the money for that. None that I am aware of have mental health services. They refer you out to a long wait list for that.

To OP, if dh is really that bad off, I'd hock or sell something and get him into the dr.

Otherwise, all you can go is constantly encourage and prod him until he manages to land a job.:grouphug: BTDT. It is hard.

There are a few free clinics. Be prepared to sit for the entire day in hopes of getting in, and you might not. And clinics don't fill rx. Still have to find the money for that. None that I am aware of have mental health services. They refer you out to a long wait list for that.

To OP, if dh is really that bad off, I'd hock or sell something and get him into the dr.

Otherwise, all you can go is constantly encourage and prod him until he manages to land a job.:grouphug: BTDT. It is hard.

And this is upsetting, because there are men that need to stay well to just provide the basics for their families.

I am in the exact same situation as you. Dh is looking for a job after his moved- and yes my dh is getting depressed about this because this happened last year as well so he is feeling like a failure. I actually got a job at a Family Dollar store :blush: Its not so bad. Just put your app in everywhere. Do not limit where you do it at. You would be surprised. :grouphug: It WILL get better.

I see more older/retired folks than twenty-somethings. So' date=' I think it's worth a try to apply for something.

I know my dh's boss prefers to hire older and retired people for jobs, especially the ones that involve driving. :auto:

hth

K[/quote']

Everyone on my husband's team is "older" except the boss who hired them. He says he wants a team of wisdom and hard work and not a bunch of prima donnas. Which is a pretty wise thing for a youngster to say. He's all of . . . oh, mid 30s.

We went through a period of my husband being like that. He had a job but I cannot tell you how much he hated it. He was so listless and slept every minute he wasn't at work and even went out to his car to nap during lunch. It was sooo hard on my daughter and me.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Even if he gets mad at you you really have to drag him by the nose hairs and get him in the shower, into the lawn to rake or even just stand there at first, just drive him to Quick Trip for a cup of coffee or something, anything to just get him out of the house. YOu have to stand over him and make him. Send out the resumes yourself for yourself and him and dont' tell him about the neg responses. If something comes, tell him that.

I'm so sorry. It's really hard.

:grouphug:

And this is upsetting, because there are men that need to stay well to just provide the basics for their families.

Yes. I remember dh being a young 21 year old between jobs and w/o insurance and we really really struggled to get him his type 1 diabetes needs met. It is pretty much impossible to get a job, much less keep it while either throwing up or passing out from needing to change insulin, but having no access to a dr to get the script change. That isn't even getting into how insane expansive the medications are.

No. Lower income CHILDREN get healthcare. Lower income ADULTS get nothing. Hence, the historic "job-killing" healthcare reform legislation our President signed last year which is supposed to provide some form of health insurance for EVERY American, and which some legislators are trying to repeal AS I TYPE THIS.

Unemployed? Too bad. A trip to the doctor will cost you an arm and a leg. But really, it's the unemployed person's fault, right? They made bad decisions that got them where they are, right? At least that's what I read in a different thread here a while back...

That varies by State and City. The City of Austin has (or had in recent years) a health clinic that was open to both children and adults who couldn't pay.

Do you live close to one of the cities that craigslist covers? Perhaps you could try posting an ad there or searching there.

I live in Bay Area (California), and when I was looking for childcare (I worked part-time), I would have loved to find a homeschooling/homeschooling-friendly mom. One of the main places I looked was CL - fast replies, and it allows an applicant to post a good, (reasonably) detailed description about her skills.

Hang in there, I do hope your DH will find something soon!

Every county has a county mental health clinic. They are sliding scale fee payment based. If you have the ability to pay $2, that is what you pay. Call your county hospital.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the President, healthcare reform, or anything else: it has been around for decades.

asta

YES. This is the best way! I needed to get a job and I got hired right away by the warehouse where my *mother* works PT! It's a great job, gives us a little extra money, and doesn't cut into family time too much.

I realize you need more than just 5 hours on a Saturday as I'm doing, BUT when I think back to almost every single one of the jobs that dh has ever gotten, it's been as a result of someone he knew or who they knew. Put it out there that you *need* to find work and are willing to do what's available. People usually respond and many companies like to hire people that their own employees can vouch for!

Last year I applied at a grocery store. The manager was willing to hire me to stack produce but not as a cashier because he saves those jobs for the 16 year olds who don't know how to do much else. :001_huh:

I have a classmate who is 21 years old and she has been searching high and low for a job. No one is hiring.

No advice, just :grouphug:

Do you live close to one of the cities that craigslist covers? Perhaps you could try posting an ad there or searching there.

I live in Bay Area (California), and when I was looking for childcare (I worked part-time), I would have loved to find a homeschooling/homeschooling-friendly mom. One of the main places I looked was CL - fast replies, and it allows an applicant to post a good, (reasonably) detailed description about her skills.

Hang in there, I do hope your DH will find something soon!

I don't live close to a city of any kind. I live out in hte county in a rural area. There's very little around here. That's part of the problem-- there's just nothing here to start with.

FWIW, from a small employers perspective, I run a business. The business has various needs for certain types of staff for certain hours. As a business owner, to a large extent, I can't control when my business needs people. If I don't provide the services our CLIENTS want when they want them, then I no longer have a business for myself, our patients, our clients, or for our STAFF! Noone will have a job if the clients don't choose us!

So, yes, I could choose to open our vet hospital only from 10-4 weekdays. But, our clients would no longer choose US! So, we are open into the evenings, Sat mornings, staying late to handle urgent cases, coming in for emergencies overnight, and someone has to handle the boarders or hospitalized cases all weekend including Sundays, Christmas Day, etc.

Similarly, I could choose to pay our staff double to market wage, but then I'd need to charge clients double the market price. Would you still choose YOUR vet if he doubled prices this month? Yah, right, lol.

So, the hours & wages of jobs are largely (not entirely) dictated by the needs of the business itself. If you have a need for set hours (not staying late) or no Sundays, or whatever, choose places to apply that don't need you those hours. Choose a weekday only business, not somewhere that is open when you can't work. . .

Here, IME, are the pros & cons of hiring a mature adult (25/30ish & up) vs a very young adult (teen-25ish):

(I'd suggest reading these over & trying to impress the positives and counteract/eliminate any negatives in your application/resume/cover letter.)

Pros Mature Adult:

+ May be more mature in dealing with conflict, difficult situations, etc

+ May have more skills (technical or people)

+ May have longer work history

Cons:

- May be more difficult to train or supervise, especially as her supervisors may be much younger or less educated than she. **

** This has been a consistent problem for us when we have hired folks over 30. One of our very best hires has been a woman over 30, who is my age, and who we trained/promoted all the way to Office Mgr over the years. EVERY SINGLE OTHER HIRE over 30 (5 or more over the years) has been a disaster due to their resistance to being trained & supervised by 'kids' who are many years younger. Total attitude disasters. I'd advise you to emphasize your comfort/willingness/eagerness to learn from others, esp. those younger than you.

- May expect or require more $$ or benefits

- May have been out of the workforce & thus have little/no workhistory to demonstrate reliability

- May be unable or unwilling to work the schedule we need. (Weekends, Sundays, overnight emergencies on call, staying as late as needed every shift to deal with the afterhours urgent cases that come in at day's end, etc.)

- May not be able or willing to be reliable. (Childcare for sickness, snowdays, etc?)

- May not be committed. Might quit readily for summer, family, change in spouse's job, etc.

- Will definitely cost our business a LOT more when it comes time to renew our health insurance policy. If she or her dependents have any serious healthy issues, it may make it completely impractical to cover her on our policy, but we cannot legally exclude any FT employee. If she or a dependent were seriously ill, adding her to our insurance may cost us $1000 or more per month instead of the $200 - $300 we expect. We have no way of knowing whether this is the case until it is a done deed. Her insurance is likely to cost us 3 to 4 times that of our young healthy staff. In fact, it might make it so we have to drop our entire group policy on which all our FT staff as well as our OWN family depend. (** This is primarily only an issue for FT staff.)

- Might think they 'know-it-all' and be less accepting of following strict protocols set by the employer. *

* This is another biggie. I don't have time to, or interest in, explaining to a new hire the rationale behind every rule & policy. . . They are vast & endless & carefully chosen to protect patient health, follow laws, protect staff & the business. . . and must be accepted readily 'just because'. Youngsters readily accept our senior staff as 'the boss' and follow us happily with little explanation. Would you?

- Might be technology averse. Might not be comfortable/confident with computers, social media, etc.

You might notice the lengthy list of CONs. This is just reality IME. Our screwed up health insurance system is completely and utterly out of the control of the small employer.

If I were in the place of looking for an entry level job as a mature adult, I'd study this list, and make sure to do all I could to overcome the innate CONs and emphasize the PROs (as well as any specific PROs I brought to the table.)

In your application & cover letter/resume, emphasize how you love to learn, love working with people, especially smart-young-folks who can teach you things, are strong/healthy/reliable, committed to finding a position for the foreseeable future (3 years or more, for sure), etc, etc. If you can overcome those CONs, you'll have a much better chance of getting in the door.

Again, my very best hire was/is a woman my age (40). She applied twice before we interviewed her for a PT reception position. She is a rock star and is now my office manager, allowing me to work very little (used to work FT). We treat her like gold (pay, hours, flexibility, etc) and she is an angel to us on all levels. We also have professional staff (vets) who are our age, and they are great. But, during our 6 yrs of business ownership, the other 5-10 entry level folks we've hired over 30 have all been unmitigated disasters for the various reasons above. I am VERY wary now.

HTH

I just want to tell you that if you are able to get someone to prescribe something for your husband, drug companies will often give you the meds for free or very low cost if you can't afford them. I know someone who needed a bunch of meds while in college (no insurance) and they gave this person coupons or a card, I think, to use for payment at the drugstore. It was not difficult to get, I think the doc signed a form and they sent it in. Hope things get better soon!!

Actually, the income limit they gave for DH is actually higher than for DD--that is, for DD to be on medicaid we'd have to make less than for DH to be on it. We're still just a bit over the limits...but won't be once the baby is born, from what the caseworker said.

It's worth a try to apply for benefits.

Many temp agencies specialize in office workers but Manpower is one that deals with all kinds of skilled and unskilled workers. T

I just tried this one. I couldn't find anything in MS.

On call centers, I'm having the same trouble, Nothing in MS. I did check into Arise, someone on this board does it. But I can't afford all the fees so we decided not to try to get into it.

FWIW, from a small employers perspective, I run a business. The business has various needs for certain types of staff for certain hours. As a business owner, to a large extent, I can't control when my business needs people. If I don't provide the services our CLIENTS want when they want them, then I no longer have a business for myself, our patients, our clients, or for our STAFF! Noone will have a job if the clients don't choose us!

So, yes, I could choose to open our vet hospital only from 10-4 weekdays. But, our clients would no longer choose US! So, we are open into the evenings, Sat mornings, staying late to handle urgent cases, coming in for emergencies overnight, and someone has to handle the boarders or hospitalized cases all weekend including Sundays, Christmas Day, etc.

Similarly, I could choose to pay our staff double to market wage, but then I'd need to charge clients double the market price. Would you still choose YOUR vet if he doubled prices this month? Yah, right, lol.

So, the hours & wages of jobs are largely (not entirely) dictated by the needs of the business itself. If you have a need for set hours (not staying late) or no Sundays, or whatever, choose places to apply that don't need you those hours. Choose a weekday only business, not somewhere that is open when you can't work. . .

Here, IME, are the pros & cons of hiring a mature adult (25/30ish & up) vs a very young adult (teen-25ish):

(I'd suggest reading these over & trying to impress the positives and counteract/eliminate any negatives in your application/resume/cover letter.)

Pros Mature Adult:

+ May be more mature in dealing with conflict, difficult situations, etc

+ May have more skills (technical or people)

+ May have longer work history

Cons:

- May be more difficult to train or supervise, especially as her supervisors may be much younger or less educated than she. **

** This has been a consistent problem for us when we have hired folks over 30. One of our very best hires has been a woman over 30, who is my age, and who we trained/promoted all the way to Office Mgr over the years. EVERY SINGLE OTHER HIRE over 30 (5 or more over the years) has been a disaster due to their resistance to being trained & supervised by 'kids' who are many years younger. Total attitude disasters. I'd advise you to emphasize your comfort/willingness/eagerness to learn from others, esp. those younger than you.

- May expect or require more $$ or benefits

- May have been out of the workforce & thus have little/no workhistory to demonstrate reliability

- May be unable or unwilling to work the schedule we need. (Weekends, Sundays, overnight emergencies on call, staying as late as needed every shift to deal with the afterhours urgent cases that come in at day's end, etc.)

- May not be able or willing to be reliable. (Childcare for sickness, snowdays, etc?)

- May not be committed. Might quit readily for summer, family, change in spouse's job, etc.

- Will definitely cost our business a LOT more when it comes time to renew our health insurance policy. If she or her dependents have any serious healthy issues, it may make it completely impractical to cover her on our policy, but we cannot legally exclude any FT employee. If she or a dependent were seriously ill, adding her to our insurance may cost us $1000 or more per month instead of the $200 - $300 we expect. We have no way of knowing whether this is the case until it is a done deed. Her insurance is likely to cost us 3 to 4 times that of our young healthy staff. In fact, it might make it so we have to drop our entire group policy on which all our FT staff as well as our OWN family depend. (** This is primarily only an issue for FT staff.)

- Might think they 'know-it-all' and be less accepting of following strict protocols set by the employer. *

* This is another biggie. I don't have time to, or interest in, explaining to a new hire the rationale behind every rule & policy. . . They are vast & endless & carefully chosen to protect patient health, follow laws, protect staff & the business. . . and must be accepted readily 'just because'. Youngsters readily accept our senior staff as 'the boss' and follow us happily with little explanation. Would you?

- Might be technology averse. Might not be comfortable/confident with computers, social media, etc.

You might notice the lengthy list of CONs. This is just reality IME. Our screwed up health insurance system is completely and utterly out of the control of the small employer.

If I were in the place of looking for an entry level job as a mature adult, I'd study this list, and make sure to do all I could to overcome the innate CONs and emphasize the PROs (as well as any specific PROs I brought to the table.)

In your application & cover letter/resume, emphasize how you love to learn, love working with people, especially smart-young-folks who can teach you things, are strong/healthy/reliable, committed to finding a position for the foreseeable future (3 years or more, for sure), etc, etc. If you can overcome those CONs, you'll have a much better chance of getting in the door.

Again, my very best hire was/is a woman my age (40). She applied twice before we interviewed her for a PT reception position. She is a rock star and is now my office manager, allowing me to work very little (used to work FT). We treat her like gold (pay, hours, flexibility, etc) and she is an angel to us on all levels. We also have professional staff (vets) who are our age, and they are great. But, during our 6 yrs of business ownership, the other 5-10 entry level folks we've hired over 30 have all been unmitigated disasters for the various reasons above. I am VERY wary now.

HTH

IMHO a relatively small group of older employees who turned out to be disastrous for you does not mean all older employees would be bad at all.

I have worked with many young employees who fit your description to a tee of the older workers except for health care needs. I think poor workers can be found in any age group. As for health care, this is why I believe in the Health Care reform act passed last year or medicare for all to ease employers' expenses. I think it is sad that many so called older workers in their 40s experience age discrimination:(

I just want to tell you that if you are able to get someone to prescribe something for your husband, drug companies will often give you the meds for free or very low cost if you can't afford them. I know someone who needed a bunch of meds while in college (no insurance) and they gave this person coupons or a card, I think, to use for payment at the drugstore. It was not difficult to get, I think the doc signed a form and they sent it in. Hope things get better soon!!

We've tried to do this with dh's insulin. The thing is, it has to be sent thru the dr's office, and they don't want to deal with it. They will tell you at the desk that they will not accept any new patients. Dh went once and got the dr's approval to get his anyhow. But they would tell him it never came in, or that someone else got it or..... endless reasons for him to not be able to get his insulin. He would have to keep going back and getting the dr's approval, reapplying with the comany, and then not getting anything for it. It wasn't easy at all and he's not willing to try that again.

I do thank you for the suggestion tho, I need all the ideas I can get right now.