Menu

Depressed about Little Women

I never read it as a kid. Saw the movie, but forgot most of it. We are listening to it in the car and I am way into it.

I am totally upset that Jo and Lory do not end up together. It just doesn't make sense to me. All that time they spent together and Jo just sees him like a brother! No way. I just don't buy it! Six years of hanging out and being the best of friends and she doesn't want to marry him! Wrong, wrong, and wrong. It just doesn't fit their characters. Jo should have gone to Europe with him. I feel a bit ripped off!

I never read it as a kid. Saw the movie, but forgot most of it. We are listening to it in the car and I am way into it.

I am totally upset that Jo and Lory do not end up together. It just doesn't make sense to me. All that time they spent together and Jo just sees him like a brother! No way. I just don't buy it! Six years of hanging out and being the best of friends and she doesn't want to marry him! Wrong, wrong, and wrong. It just doesn't fit their characters. Jo should have gone to Europe with him. I feel a bit ripped off!

I felt (and STILL feel) the exact. same. way. about Jo and Laurie not ending up together. And infact, I don't like the Professor all that much either, and I *have* read Little Men. :tongue_smilie:Jo should have married Laurie, Amy should have married some young, dashing man.

*sigh* Me too. However, since I have grown a bit, I watched my younger sister and her childhood best friend come so close to marriage. It ended a lifelong friendship, now they never talk. A few years later, he married another girl and is completely out of my sister's life. At least Laurie and Jo get to enjoy a friendly relationship! And do read Little Men, the previous posters are right, you see the love between the professor and Jo, what a wonderful couple. :)

I've heard people say this exact thing, and I get it, but personally, I think her *not* marrying Laurie is more in character. I think with Laurie she would have had too much pressure to conform to society's standards, even if he tried not to push her in that direction. Part of it was timing, too--she was already feeling like her world was so shaken up with Meg getting married and everything changing. I also think that temperament-wise, Jo and Laurie are too similar. Jo really needs a someone with a level head who will balance her out without squelching her fire and creativity. It's kind of painful, but I really felt like Jo's reasons for rejecting Laurie were sound, and that she did the right thing since she had such serious doubts. Just my opinion, though! :D

Oops--I was going to post a spoiler, but since it sounds like you're not finished, I won't.

Do you really think dear sweet Laurie would have been a satisfying match for Jo intellectually?

I was upset about it too when I was younger but not anymore.

I disagree. Jo was right. She and Laurie would not have made a successful match. He was young and thought that he could easily overlook all her eccentricities, but she was right. In the long run it wouldn't have worked. He would have grown to resent her. Amy was much better suited to Laurie's lifestyle and position in society. And Jo and her professor are PERFECT together.

I first read "Little Women" in third grade and I've loved it ever since!

I disagree. Jo was right. She and Laurie would not have made a successful match. He was young and thought that he could easily overlook all her eccentricities, but she was right. In the long run it wouldn't have worked. He would have grown to resent her. Amy was much better suited to Laurie's lifestyle and position in society. And Jo and her professor are PERFECT together.

I first read "Little Women" in third grade and I've loved it ever since!

:iagree:

I've heard people say this exact thing, and I get it, but personally, I think her *not* marrying Laurie is more in character. I think with Laurie she would have had too much pressure to conform to society's standards, even if he tried not to push her in that direction. Part of it was timing, too--she was already feeling like her world was so shaken up with Meg getting married and everything changing. I also think that temperament-wise, Jo and Laurie are too similar. Jo really needs a someone with a level head who will balance her out without squelching her fire and creativity. It's kind of painful, but I really felt like Jo's reasons for rejecting Laurie were sound, and that she did the right thing since she had such serious doubts. Just my opinion, though! :D

Oops--I was going to post a spoiler, but since it sounds like you're not finished, I won't.

I completely agree. Jo was not a conformer, and even if Laurie had not put those expectations on her, society would have, and that would have made Jo miserable. I think Amy was a perfect match for Laurie.

I felt (and STILL feel) the exact. same. way. about Jo and Laurie not ending up together. And infact, I don't like the Professor all that much either, and I *have* read Little Men. :tongue_smilie:Jo should have married Laurie, Amy should have married some young, dashing man.

Well, I don't mind the Professor, but reading Little Men did not convince me Jo should have married him.

In fact, if my rusty brain remembers correctly the research I did in college, Little Women was published in two parts. Louisa May Alcott intended for Jo to stay single, like her. Reader outcry at the Jo and Laurie breakup was so great, that she created the Professor in the second half so Jo could marry him.

The trouble isn't that Jo and Laurie would have been a bad match, it is that LMA identified so strongly with her character that she couldn't imagine the character having a dashing romantic partner when she (LMA) didn't. If I were granted the ability to change one fictional decision, this would be it.

In fact, if my rusty brain remembers correctly the research I did in college, Little Women was published in two parts. Louisa May Alcott intended for Jo to stay single, like her. Reader outcry at the Jo and Laurie breakup was so great, that she created the Professor in the second half so Jo could marry him.

This is what I was going to say. LMA didn't intend for Jo to marry at all. She was basing the characters on herself and her sisters, and she never married. She gave in to pressure to have Jo married, but she refused to give in to the pressure to have her marry Laurie.

When I first read LW I was also heartbroken when Jo refused Laurie. However, if Jo chose to marry anyone, the professor was a better choice. He was very well-read, very kind, and as a poor immigrant he was on the outskirts of society. With the professor Jo could be her quirky self, and he helped her mature and grow. Jo and the professor grew closer because they understood each other and had characteristics that complimented each other.

Laurie would not have helped Jo grow as a person. If they had married they would have grown apart. The things that Laurie loved about Jo would have eventually become things he hated. Jo would have been completely miserable as Laurie's wife because she would have detested her role as a socialite. Amy was far better suited to play that role.

I understand what others have said, but I am still disappointed. I just thought that Laurie was choosing Jo over that high society life. Jo was well read, imaginative, and independent, but she wasn't necessarily an intellectual equal to Laurie (he was academically brighter). I don't think intellectual equality is necessary for love. Amy wasn't the brightest, but did want money and to live in high society. She was the exact opposite of her sister - they were the one's who got along the least. So, how could a guy go from one extreme to the other. Why would Laurie have fallen in love with Jo at all? I just don't think it fit well. It is what it is, but I don't like it! It's still a great book!

All that time they spent together and Jo just sees him like a brother! No way. I just don't buy it! Six years of hanging out and being the best of friends and she doesn't want to marry him! Wrong, wrong, and wrong. It just doesn't fit their characters.

I htink it completely fits with their characters. Laurie is somewhat rash and impulsive and is looking for a big family to be part of and someone to have adventures with. Jo is looking for love and intellectual stimulation, and she knows that life with Laurie would be a huge series of them clashing repeatedly because they both have strong wills. All the years of youthful companionship with Laurie have led her to see him as a playmate, not a lover.

Tara

Well, I don't mind the Professor, but reading Little Men did not convince me Jo should have married him.

The trouble isn't that Jo and Laurie would have been a bad match, it is that LMA identified so strongly with her character that she couldn't imagine the character having a dashing romantic partner when she (LMA) didn't. If I were granted the ability to change one fictional decision, this would be it.

So glad to read this. It makes so much sense now. I was also very upset when I read the book and she refused Laurie. Then, when I saw the version with

....:svengo:well, it brought it all back. I mean, who on earth would refuse Christian Bale?

Margaret

Laurie just wanted to insert himself into the March family. He was more in love with the idea of being in love than with Jo. Remember when he was going to compose that great opera and he initially was going to have the protagonist be Jo? This was pretty soon after he was spurned by her, and even then, even though he was still purportedly in love with her, he couldn't see her good qualities to model in the protagonist. I remember it saying something like, "He thought he loved her eccentricities, but putting those qualities on paper made him realize that they were not so lovable and admirable as he imagined in his mind." To me, that speaks volumes about how he would have changed had Jo married him. The quirks that he found endearing within the privacy of the March home would have been humiliating for him in society. If a guy who is supposedly in the throws of love can't even model a fictional heroine after her without thinking about her flaws, that's indicative that he's not half as in love as he thinks he is.

I was disappointed when they didn't get together, but as I got older I realized that Jo had a depth of character that Lauri didn't have and couldn't understand. Lauri finally matured into a fine man, but he would never be able to understand Jo. Amy was much more suited to his lifestyle. I wasn't thrilled about Jo marrying the professor, but he was more her equal intellectually, or at least would challenge her intellectually. Plus, when I saw the Winona Ryder version of LW, I thought Gabriel Byrne was a pretty good match for her.:D

I could have written this. My daughter thinks it is so odd that I feel so strongly about two characters in a book.

My dd was angry when Jo and Laurie didn't get married, and was furious when she married "that old professor guy who is way too old for Jo". She was so mad that she didn't want to read Little Men or any of the rest. My ds did read Little Men and liked it, but he wasn't so upset about Jo marrying the professor. As far as I know, dd still has not read more of the series, and she is in college now.

"I was disappointed when they didn't get together, but as I got older I realized that Jo had a depth of character that Lauri didn't have and couldn't understand. Lauri finally matured into a fine man, but he would never be able to understand Jo. Amy was much more suited to his lifestyle. I wasn't thrilled about Jo marrying the professor, but he was more her equal intellectually, or at least would challenge her intellectually. Plus, when I saw the Winona Ryder version of LW, I thought Gabriel Byrne was a pretty good match for her.:D"

"Laurie just wanted to insert himself into the March family. He was more in love with the idea of being in love than with Jo. Remember when he was going to compose that great opera and he initially was going to have the protagonist be Jo? This was pretty soon after he was spurned by her, and even then, even though he was still purportedly in love with her, he couldn't see her good qualities to model in the protagonist. I remember it saying something like, "He thought he loved her eccentricities, but putting those qualities on paper made him realize that they were not so lovable and admirable as he imagined in his mind." To me, that speaks volumes about how he would have changed had Jo married him. The quirks that he found endearing within the privacy of the March home would have been humiliating for him in society. If a guy who is supposedly in the throws of love can't even model a fictional heroine after her without thinking about her flaws, that's indicative that he's not half as in love as he thinks he is."

(sorry I don't know how to do the multi-quote thing, but I really agree with all of the above!)

I really admired Jo for having the strength to say no. Reminded me of Anne when she turns down (can't remember the guy's name).

I have come to imagine the professor as more Alan Rickman like and so I feel very comfortable with her decision. (yes, I give up some of the physical description but I think AR could pull it off) When I was young the Professor was looked like Tom Selleck so I was pretty happy for her then too...:D

But why did LMA have to make the Professor old??? I would have liked him better if he hadn't been so much older than her. The first time I read LW I hated that Jo and Laurie didn't wind up together. hmm.. I might have to read it again now.

Don't even get me started about Matthew and Green Gables. I may start crying right now thinking about it.

My daughter thinks it is so odd that I feel so strongly about two characters in a book.

I lived overseas with my then-boyfriend the first time I read The Lord of the Rings. We lived in this tiny, one-room attic apartment, and our furniture consisted of a bed, a table, and one chair. Boyfriend came home one night to find me sitting in the one chair, at the one table, in front of a lit candle, sobbing my heart out over the fact that Frodo had gone away. I still keep in touch with then-boyfriend (in fact, he visited us in November), and he still teases me about this.

Tara

I really admired Jo for having the strength to say no. Reminded me of Anne when she turns down (can't remember the guy's name).

Gilbert. Not the same at all. Jo should have turned down Laurie. Anne was crazy wicked insane to turn down Gilbert. Any woman who would turn down Gilbert is crazy wicked insane. ;) Of course, later on Anne comes to her senses and marries him! :D

Gilbert. Not the same at all. Jo should have turned down Laurie. Anne was crazy wicked insane to turn down Gilbert. Any woman who would turn down Gilbert is crazy wicked insane. ;) Of course, later on Anne comes to her senses and marries him! :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Why would you turn down Gilbert Blythe? Thank GOODNESS she come to her senses.

However, I believe the PP is referring not to Gilbert, but to Roy Gardner, that paragon of Anne's imagination who falls rather flat on closer acquaintance. ;)

However, I believe the PP is referring not to Gilbert, but to Roy Gardner, that paragon of Anne's imagination who falls rather flat on closer acquaintance. ;)

Oh, gosh, I don't think Laurie and Royal compare at all ... even though I agree that Jo should have turned down Laurie (much as I love him), I don't think Jo/Laurie and Anne/Royal are in any way comparable.

Tara

Read Little Men. It will make you feel much better about Jo and Laurie.

I agree! Jo ends up with her true love and the right man for her vision and life work.

I did feel the same way about Laurie and Jo until I kept reading and then saw that L & J are a shortsighted match. The ending is great. Alcott knew what she was doing.

I understand what others have said, but I am still disappointed. I just thought that Laurie was choosing Jo over that high society life. Jo was well read, imaginative, and independent, but she wasn't necessarily an intellectual equal to Laurie (he was academically brighter). I don't think intellectual equality is necessary for love. Amy wasn't the brightest, but did want money and to live in high society. She was the exact opposite of her sister - they were the one's who got along the least. So, how could a guy go from one extreme to the other. Why would Laurie have fallen in love with Jo at all? I just don't think it fit well. It is what it is, but I don't like it! It's still a great book!

I completely disagree about Jo not being intellectually up to par with Laurie. In fact I think it was she who was more intellectual. He may have seemed so because his position in society forced him to receive his education while Jo desired it with her whole heart even though life didn't hand it to her on a silver platter.

I don't think intellectual equality is necessary for "love" but I do think it is hard for a woman to respect and follow a husband who is less intellectual than she is. It is frustrating for both parties and can create a lot of friction. There is lots of compatibility and shared vision with Jo and the Professor and not a lot of friction. It's the kind of home I wished I could grow up in AND grow old in. I think it's brilliant!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Why would you turn down Gilbert Blythe? Thank GOODNESS she come to her senses.

Of course Anne and Gilbert belong together! I was referring to her previous boyfriend from college, who I guess would have been Royal Gardner? Too lazy to look it up. The rich guy who was perfectly nice--but Anne was strong enough, like Jo, to say no because she knew herself well enough to know it wasn't the right choice.

I thought Jo and Laurie could have been a good match...if Laurie grew up first. There was no way they were a good match for each other at that time.

They were alike, but Jo knew what she wanted out of her life (writing). Laurie did not (he always flitting about), and unlike the Professor he hadn't found his calling nor was he responsible for anything or anyone. If they married Jo would have been like a Mother to him (notice how often she steered him during their friendship). Laurie would not have wanted that.

In the end Laurie wanted to follow his Grandfather and live a normal life for his class. Amy perfectly fulfilled that desire and direction of his life. Jo would not have. When he proposed to Jo he did not yet know he wanted.

And Jo needed time to know that she did want someone. When she did realize this then the Professor was there for her, someone much like her father. In the end she wanted a marriage like her parents, not what we consider the 'right' romantic marriage.

I think in some universe of possibility Jo and Laurie could have been together, with some growing up (and in the same direction), but the timing never worked out in Little Women. That happens more often then people think. Sometimes one thing works but the others just don't match up.

I have come to imagine the professor as more Alan Rickman like and so I feel very comfortable with her decision. (yes, I give up some of the physical description but I think AR could pull it off) When I was young the Professor was looked like Tom Selleck so I was pretty happy for her then too...:D

:D:lol::lol:

Of course Anne and Gilbert belong together! I was referring to her previous boyfriend from college, who I guess would have been Royal Gardner? Too lazy to look it up. The rich guy who was perfectly nice--but Anne was strong enough, like Jo, to say no because she knew herself well enough to know it wasn't the right choice.

The other story with a similar plot arc is Witch of Blackbird Pond. Kit thinks she's going to marry William (sorta); realizes she can't in conscience do it; realizes that her dream about standing on board ship is not just about freedom, but about love, "and love was Nat." One of my favorite lines--I reread that chapter over and over as a kid. ;)

Sophia Loren and Cary Grant. Sophia and Cary had a very passionate relationship, but then Cary asks Sophia to marry him. Sophia says no, and instead marries Carlo Ponti. Cary is heartbroken.

Years later, Sophia reveals the reason why she said no to Cary. They were so very different in temperaments. True story.

Claire in NM