Menu

Am I nuts or would you rent from us at these conditions?

After one year, eleven months and 12days of unemployement - or underemployment, dh has gotten a job two hours away, one way. Since it is not feasible to drive 4 hrs in one day, we need to rent out our home and rent something small closer to his work.

We have lived here for 11 yrs and have an elderly horse. He is retired here and deserves to live out his life. Would you rent from us if we gave you the run of the place (7 acres), the option to have chicken, horses, any size dog, let your children do 4-H animal projects (we have plenty of room, ds did a market hog years ago) build tree houses, whatever an active family would want to do, for the going rental rate in the area...BUT beg you to feed the horse twice a day. I am thinking I would have to either decrease the rent by an agreed upon amount so the cost of hay is set off, or ask a neighbor if he would drop off hay and pay him for his trouble.

We just found this out yesterday, my head is still spinning. We are sooo relieved and happy but there are so many things to take care of. Go slow and easy, please. :D

Since you asked: I would definitely not rent your place. It would mean that I would have to be HOME every single day in order to feed the horse, or go to trouble arranging for somebody. This is not a commitment I would want to make.

(This said, I totally see the need for you to keep the horse and find a way for him to live there.)

In case you can't rent out your place: do you all have to move? Can't your DH move and commute on weekends? (We did 8 years of that)

I'd rent from you (your place sounds lovely!), though I'd have to take into consideration the cost of hay. You may need to discount the cost of hay from the rent and make sure it's easy for the renters to get the hay too. (Would frequent trips to get hay be necessary, or a pickup truck? Those might be deal-breakers for some people. Also, what about mowing the lawn -- would that need to be done?) But all of that for a reasonable rental price, just to feed a horse a couple of times a day? Absolutely! (Then again, we have a couple of acres and have an outdoor furnace that needs to be fed twice a day in the winter, so a horse wouldn't be that much of a stretch.)

There are some that will take you up on your terms in a heartbeat. Then some like me that wouldn't touch the place with a ten-foot pole. The only reason we remember to feed the dog and cats is because they do not let us forget. Up underfoot, meowing, scratching, whining, begging. The horse in the barn would get forgotten.

I hope you get someone who knows himself well enough to know what he can/can't handle.

I would totally do it, but when you do find someone get references on them (and check them out).

I used to work in rescue No. CA and the lies I heard were amazing. I learned (sadly) not to trust people and to check out whatever I needed to for the sake of the animal.

I would just hate for your wonderful horse to not get fed properly because the fun wore off for the new residents.

Good luck,

Alley

Since you asked: I would definitely not rent your place. It would mean that I would have to be HOME every single day in order to feed the horse, or go to trouble arranging for somebody. This is not a commitment I would want to make.

(This said, I totally see the need for you to keep the horse and find a way for him to live there.)

In case you can't rent out your place: do you all have to move? Can't your DH move and commute on weekends? (We did 8 years of that)

Yes, this is the rub. It would have to be someone who does not mind being around most of the time.

Dh will live in a Motel near his work for the next 2-3 months or however long it takes us to figure out what to do. Doing this long term would cost too much.

I would just hate for your wonderful horse to not get fed properly because the fun wore off for the new residents.

Good luck,

Alley

Yes, very true. It can all sound great in the moment you consider it, especially if children are gung ho, but as time goes on they develop other interests and then it becomes a chore.

It sounds like a great place to rent as long as the upkeep won't be too much - If I were to sign a lease - I'd want the grounds upkeep to be included in the rent! (And if you have areas that would become too overgrown if not kept up with then you will probably want tot be in control of that anyway!)

We rent our home in Florida, and based on our experience with tenants - I would not trust the upkeep of a family pet to the tenants whatsoever! I would make arrangements for someone to come on sight or try to find other arrangements (any animal refuge centers that might take him for a financial contribution?) If you decide to trust the tenants - definitely have the hay delivered and have someone check periodically to make sure the horse is properly cared for.

Other things to consider - a home warranty contract and sufficient liability insurance. Be sure to check references and wage/salary info. If you can require automatic rent payments - do it - especially since you may not want to drive the round trip to collect the rent each month. (We have yet to get renters that pay on time! - but we have a property manager that handles collections.)

And CONGRATS!!!:party: It feels so great to be out of unemployment, doesn't it?

:iagree: You really need a caretaker of the farm. Not a renter who may (or may not) abide by your requests. But then, you are PAYING the caretaker to keep the property in good condition?

Dh will live in a Motel near his work for the next 2-3 months or however long it takes us to figure out what to do. Doing this long term would cost too much.

Congrats on the job!

My mom has worked away from home and on occasion has rented an apartment - or just a room - when the commute was too far to stay at home. I don't want to be away from my husband for that long, so I don't see it as a long term option for us. But while you're making adjustments, it may be cheaper than a hotel.

Hooray, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! Our unemployment problem has just been solved too; my husband is commuting to Redding.

I can't think of several people who would jump at it if they could, so I'm sure you could find someone. Me, I would not touch it! :D But if you like, I'll spread the word among my acquaintances. PM me if so, and tell me where the new job is.

In case you can't rent out your place: do you all have to move? Can't your DH move and commute on weekends? (We did 8 years of that

I cannot even imagine living this way. I can imagine that the two weekend days would be absolutely miserable as dh adjusted to all the noise again just in time to go back to his during the week house.

I wouldn't rent from you because I wouldn't want the responsibility of the horse. It isn't the feeding it or caring for it that is the problem. The problem is that your old horse is likely to get sick and I'd feel obligated to bring the vet in (because I would not let an animal suffer), or it would likely die on me of its advanced age. I really could not take on that kind of financial or emotional responsibility. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just being honest.

I would suggest that you rent out the house and acreage, minus your horse's paddock and barn, then hire someone else to care for the horse properly. This way you can more clearly detail what the full range of the horse's needs are and what to do in case of emergency, and you can be very selective and get someone who actually knows about horse care (which most people who have not had horses before have no clue -- they think you just feed it and ride it around -- and you know a horse needs more than that). Make it clear to the renters that someone will be caring for the horse. If there are access issues, figure that out before you advertise to rent.

Edited by Audrey

Congrats on the job!

My mom has worked away from home and on occasion has rented an apartment - or just a room - when the commute was too far to stay at home. I don't want to be away from my husband for that long, so I don't see it as a long term option for us. But while you're making adjustments, it may be cheaper than a hotel.

This is what dh will do if he gets a job in NC now - we will stay here until the end of the school year. Short-term, I can handle it (sort of - it is still rough), but not long-term.

Yes, this is the rub. It would have to be someone who does not mind being around most of the time.

My husband lives part time in Louisville, KY. He lives in a seminary students personal home and rents the space for $150 per month. Contact local christian schools or area churches to see if there is someone who is looking to rent to your husband. You could save hundreds or thousands.

.BUT beg you to feed the horse twice a day. I am thinking I would have to either decrease the rent by an agreed upon amount so the cost of hay is set off, or ask a neighbor if he would drop off hay and pay him for his trouble.

Does the horse have to be fed twice a day? In the winter, we just unload a large, round bale into their pasture, and the horses free-feed on it. We usually only need to put a new bale out once a week.

Krista

Edited by kristavws

I would suggest that you rent out the house and acreage, minus your horse's paddock and barn, then hire someone else to care for the horse properly. This way you can more clearly detail what the full range of the horse's needs are and what to do in case of emergency, and you can be very selective and get someone who actually knows about horse care (which most people who have not had horses before have no clue -- they think you just feed it and ride it around -- and you know a horse needs more than that). Make it clear to the renters that someone will be caring for the horse. If there are access issues, figure that out before you advertise to rent.

:iagree:

The problem is that your old horse is likely to get sick and I'd feel obligated to bring the vet in (because I would not let an animal suffer), or it would likely die on me of its advanced age. I really could not take on that kind of financial or emotional responsibility. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just being honest.

I was thinking of this (potential) dilemma. I have a regular vet and I would inform him of the changed circumstances. I would want whoever cares for the old boy call me in case of illness so I can assess if I need to call my vet or run up there myself (2 hours but could be done in an emergency).

I know that it would be terrible if he croaked while someone else was taking care of him even though it would not be their fault. But I totally understand what you are saying since I have taken care of other people's pets and always prayed that nobody would keel over while in my care.

Large, round bales are almost unheard of in CA but I know what you are talking about because I grew up in area where we kids had a lot of fun with them :)

I suppose I could try to free-feed him. It should not really be a problem. He has outlived all other horses and is by himself, so he does not have to compete for food.

I cannot even imagine living this way. I can imagine that the two weekend days would be absolutely miserable as dh adjusted to all the noise again just in time to go back to his during the week house.

Well, our current situation is the first time we have the luxury of both having jobs in the same town. We've done anything from 50 miles to 950 miles apart.

One gets used to it (yes, it was tough when the kids were really little)

Well, I don't think your request is unreasonable, but it may not be easy to find the right renter with a condition like that. I'd be afraid that someone would agree to the condition because they want the house, but not really be serious about looking after the horse properly. Can you rent the house at the going rate and give the renter the option of a decrease on the rent if they want to look after the horse or find a local teen who you could pay to look after the horse?

Maybe someone has already suggested this. I haven't read all the responses. Hope you find something that works for you.

We would LOVE to rent your place, but I don't think Dh would move to CA anytime soon!

My first thought in reading this was, "Gosh I hope she finds some incredibly trustworthy tenants." I would hate for someone to be enchanted by the idea and then neglect your horse. Finding the right family is essential, but I'm sure you've already thought of this. :) Maybe having the neighbor deliver the hay would be one way of determining your horse will get what he needs.

I would first have your dh rent a small apartment near his new job as a place to stay during the week. If the job didn't turn out as planned it would be a terrible if you'd already rented out your home.

Although it will probably bring with it it's own stresses, I'd consider having dh live seperately during the week until he had been in his job for a period of time. At that point, you may find a way to part with your horse in a more managable manner.

We would not rent from you because I am not an animal person and I don't want the responsibility of caring for someone else's animal. That said, I can see that this would be a terrific opportunity for a family that was into that sort of thing. I think you should provide the hay or discount the rent for the cost.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but do check out the options in the area where he'll be. My dad has been able to find great "bed and breakfast" type arrangements in private homes several times when he had extended business trips. So much nicer than a hotel, and cheaper too. Perhaps if you put the word out you can find a family who would be willing to rent him a spare room.

I can imagine trusting a stranger to live in my house. But I cannot imagine trusting a stranger to care for my elderly horse. I just can't imagine it.

I think I'd have to separate the two issues: Somebody to live in the house and something to do with the horse. It might, possibly, maybe, slight-chance work out that the same family would do both; but I wouldn't count on it.

ETA: You'd have to spell out very carefully who was responsible for what, who pays for what, what they can and can't do with the horse (They're almost sure to put kids on him), and who's responsible for damages and injuries. I just can't imagine doing this.

Edited by Cindyg

I agree with Stacy. We have been through several job losses with a few moves attached. In hind sight, I would stay at your home, and rent a small apartment (2 BR) on a short term lease where dh works. Two hours is not a long drive, if you are missing him, you can go and spend a few days. Put fold up chairs and air mattresses in it. And, it will be a much better crowd than the motel!

When you rent your house out, you will have to probably commit to a one year lease. And you will probably have to commit to a one year lease on dh's end. Too long and not flexible enough, BTDT!!

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but do check out the options in the area where he'll be. My dad has been able to find great "bed and breakfast" type arrangements in private homes several times when he had extended business trips. So much nicer than a hotel, and cheaper too. Perhaps if you put the word out you can find a family who would be willing to rent him a spare room.

Thanks for the great advice! We just looked at Craig's List and found something cheaper than the lowest motel rate available. Dh just e-mailed them. Also someone suggested calling churches in the area to see if someone has a room to rent. He may do this as well once he is there and can see it in the evening.

Edited by Liz CA