Menu

If you are a healthy weight by yr own definition, would you say

I would say yes...and when I stop the below pattern I see the pounds creep on. I have about 7 on me right now that I want OFF and I will pretty much go 'No-S'.

That your eating habits/patterns are similar to the "No-S" eating plan?

If you are not familiar with it, it's:

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

Except on special days or days that start with S (Sat & Sun).

What do you think?

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

What do you think?

No. We eat when we are hungry and stop when we are no longer hungry every day of the week. We start with serving sizes and have seconds if our tummies are still growly. We have snacks sometimes and sweets sometimes. I try to make sure the choices available are healthy.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

Absolutely not.

All my family members have a healthy weight. We all eat sweets, have seconds, snack. In moderation, but without artificial limits. We love to eat good food. But we are also physically active.

So when do you eat them?

What is your definition of an artificial limit? IOW, how do you decide the limits?

No. We eat when we are hungry and stop when we are no longer hungry every day of the week. We start with serving sizes and have seconds it our tummies are still growly. We have snacks sometimes and sweets sometimes. I try to make sure the choices available are healthy.

How do you decide when to have them?

I just control the total number of calories. I don't specifically calorie count, but I do know that if I eat something high in calories that I'll need to cut back when eating other meals. I do need to be mindful of calories and activity level because if I don't I do tend to gain.

I'm 5'5" and weigh between 130 and 125 pounds.

So when do you eat them?

When I am hungry and feel like eating.

What is your definition of an artificial limit? IOW, how do you decide the limits?

An artificial limit would be set times for snacks, certain weekdays for sweets, certain amounts of foods I can eat - anything outside my body telling me what it wants.

My body decides. I eat when I am hungry, I stop when I am not hungry anymore. That's how it is supposed to work.

I did Weight Watchers to get the rest of my baby fat off after having my fourth child. It was then that I saw what a normal portion size was and how many calories I was actually consuming. I was so used to being able to eat a lot because I was always pregnant or nursing!!! It only took about a month of actual counting for me to "get" it. Now, I just eat that way. I don't limit what I eat - just the amount. If I'm hungry, I make good choices for snacks. Mealtimes, I take small portions of the main dish and LOTS of veggies (we always have at least two veggies plus a salad with dinner). If, after 10 minutes or so, I'm still hungry, I'll have more of the veggies.

It's worked for me. I weigh what I did in high school!!

Edited by Jennifer in MI

I personally do better with smaller meals and snacks. What I also find really helpful is the Sonoma Diet dividing the plate thing: 50% non-starchy vegetables, 30% lean protein, 20% whole grains. Finally, limiting fruit servings to 2 per day and always with a bit of protein & a bit of fat. Alcohol only if we've got company or are going out to dinner.

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

What do you think?

The "No-S" Eating Plan -- I like that! But no, I've never heard of it.

I'm 5'7" and about 135lbs. I've been doing "no Seconds" by habit for a few years, but I have an insatiable sweet tooth -- so I'm all about the "yes - Sweets." :thumbup: I tend to snack mostly on days when we have the most subjects for school work.

I would say having a green "Salad";) with almost every meal and heart-pumping exercise even a little bit (most weeks I only get 2 - 30min workouts in) have helped me to keep "fit."

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

What do you think?

I recently lost weight by following a low calorie diet and exercising.

I try hard not to have seconds and eat smaller portions.

I do eat sweets, although I don't eat many. I try to stay away from things with sugar. I generally find most sweet foods too sweet for my tastes. I might eat a bite of cake or have one cookie on occasion, but definitely limit sweets.

I always plan for snacks. I eat three meals and one or two snacks a day. Snacks though are small and usually just enough to take the edge off until meal time.

I have found exercise to be the key for me. It increases my metabolism and keeps my appetite under control. When I don't exercise, I find myself wanting to eat constantly.

ETA: I still have about five pounds to go. I am 5'5" and about 128 pounds.

Just wondering what's the reasoning behind having a bit of protein & a bit of fat with fruit??? Never heard that before, so I'm curious.

That comes from one of the low-carb diets (forget which one as I have a shelf full of diet books). The thinking is that protein and fat help to moderate the blood sugar/insulin response to fruit.

I always eat seconds (and often thirds), I have sweets a few times a week, I have snacks every day (snacks = raisins, nuts, fruit, hummus/salsa, lunch meat, leftovers of meals). I have a very high metabolism and even with eating in the above way I am still on the low range of 'healthy' weight-wise for my height/frame. I rarely tell people my weight b/c I don't want others to aim that low. What can I say...nursing is the biggest calorie burner in the world for me (plus, I am dairy-free which automatically eliminates many fat/calorie-rich foods).

I am a healthy weight. I eat sweets and snacks and seconds. I am moderately active.

We do not eat a lot of processed foods, and we eat a lot of vegetables. This is what makes the biggest difference for me, IMO.

Body/metabolism has a lot to do with it. My dh and I eat the same foods, same activity level. He struggles with weight; I do not. This is also true for our daughters from our first marriages, raised together from a very young age, with the same diet and activity levels. One struggles with weight; the other does not.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

All I know is I lost a ton of weight going no S and when I stopped, I gained a lot back.

What I like about the no s diet is I didn't feel deprived all the time. If I made a nice meal or went out to eat, I could eat whatever was there, I just didn't go back for seconds. The first two weeks were hell. Really, really hard especially at my typical gotta eat time - between dinner and bedtime. But I noticed it was significantly easier after that. And after the forth week, I noticed I wasn't able to finish my portion, much less get seconds.

Really sweets daily IS too much for anyone, IMHO. A couple days a week or on a special occasion should be enough of something that has nearly zero health value.

I can't do the calorie counting. It's stressful and time consuming. And really we do eat fairly healthy, it just how much I was eating.

I busted up both my ankles several months ago and I'm still working on pt for my hips and pelvis, so my physical activity is WAY down from normal. It is hard to suddenly curtail calorie intake for reduced activity. That combined with the holidays and totally leaving my no s diet as contributed to a serious weight gain the last four months.

So I'll be going back on a modified no S diet in January. Modified bc I get really sick if I don't have a couple snacks while pregnant. I'll just try to make them extra healthy.

I also think it gets way harder as we get older. I was always eating and always below normal weight for my height until about 5 years ago. Seems the closer I'm getting to 40, the less natural that thinner body is.

And in February I am going to start seeing a chiropractor in the hopes of getting my wacked body back in order so it is easier to be more active.

If we can afford it, after baby is born I'm going to look into getting a personal trainer. I don't mind exercising, but I'm terrified of doing it wrong and needing more physical therapy from doing myself harm.

The "No-S" Eating Plan -- I like that! But no, I've never heard of it.

I'm 5'7" and about 135lbs. I've been doing "no Seconds" by habit for a few years, but I have an insatiable sweet tooth -- so I'm all about the "yes - Sweets." :thumbup: I tend to snack mostly on days when we have the most subjects for school work.

I would say having a green "Salad";) with almost every meal and heart-pumping exercise even a little bit (most weeks I only get 2 - 30min workouts in) have helped me to keep "fit."

Vanna,

Here is the website:

http://www.nosdiet.com/

Plus there is a book...it is nice but not necessary. He has a bunch of interesting statistics about the rise in sugar and snack foods in the US.

All I know is I lost a ton of weight going no S and when I stopped, I gained a lot back.

What I like about the no s diet is I didn't feel deprived all the time. If I made a nice meal or went out to eat, I could eat whatever was there, I just didn't go back for seconds. The first two weeks were hell. Really, really hard especially at my typical gotta eat time - between dinner and bedtime. But I noticed it was significantly easier after that. And after the forth week, I noticed I wasn't able to finish my portion, much less get seconds.

Really sweets daily IS too much for anyone, IMHO. A couple days a week or on a special occasion should be enough of something that has nearly zero health value.

I can't do the calorie counting. It's stressful and time consuming. And really we do eat fairly healthy, it just how much I was eating.

I busted up both my ankles several months ago and I'm still working on pt for my hips and pelvis, so my physical activity is WAY down from normal. It is hard to suddenly curtail calorie intake for reduced activity. That combined with the holidays and totally leaving my no s diet as contributed to a serious weight gain the last four months.

So I'll be going back on a modified no S diet in January. Modified bc I get really sick if I don't have a couple snacks while pregnant. I'll just try to make them extra healthy.

I also think it gets way harder as we get older. I was always eating and always below normal weight for my height until about 5 years ago. Seems the closer I'm getting to 40, the less natural that thinner body is.

And in February I am going to start seeing a chiropractor in the hopes of getting my wacked body back in order so it is easier to be more active.

If we can afford it, after baby is born I'm going to look into getting a personal trainer. I don't mind exercising, but I'm terrified of doing it wrong and needing more physical therapy from doing myself harm.

Gosh,

I am so sorry about your ankles!

And congrats about Baby # 10! Double digits! :lol:

No processed foods.

No pre-packaged foods.

no meat or dairy.

I snack throughout the day on fruits and veggies. I have a planned snack of tomato juice and almonds.

I eat 1 ounce of dark chocolate (70% caco or more) for dessert.

Very similar diet here except I do eat meat, but not gluten. The main thing is lots and lots of fruits and vegetables. And more raw than cooked. I weigh what I did in high school now (120 lbs, 5'5") after I lost 13 lbs about 5 months ago just following the no prepackaged foods rule and no dairy.

Margaret

Gosh,

I am so sorry about your ankles!

And congrats about Baby # 10! Double digits! :lol:

The dumb dog and rabbit conspired to near killed me and tho I didn't break bones, I tore two tendons in my left ankle. Three weeks later as I was hobbling out of a restaurant, I tripped and sprained my right ankle. Yes, just call me Grace.:tongue_smilie: it took about two months to be able to walk without any pain on that left ankle, but I still can't do anything too strenuous on it and I might never be able to run on it. (A real pain with lots of little ones let me tell you!)

Yep. Double digits. Can't believe it. I have no idea how we went from being two younger and dumber teens to a couple in their late thirties having their 10th kid.

I would say yes. I rarely eat sweets, almost no bread, and little meat. I mostly eat eggs, salads and vegs, and fish (by choice; I just love those things.) Wine is my nemesis, but I have cut back because of stomach issues. I have a strong will, and if the pounds creep on I cut the calories. I probably don't eat more than 1200 calories on a given day.

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

What do you think?

No Seconds - Yes this is true for me

No Sweets - Most of the time this is true, but I do have a cup of hot tea w/ sugar every day.

No Snacks - Not true, I plan snacks into my day, but my meals are VERY small. I usually just eat one thing for a meal with no sides. Like I just finished an egg salad sandwich and I am full.

Not for me. I eat until I am full if that means that I eat everything on my plate or twice as much. I eat sweets but that means fruits and good dark chocolate unless it is a special occasion. I snack a pretty fair amount on whole foods- again- fruit, veggies, nuts.

- I do eat whole foods- the kind that have no label for most all of my 'diet'

- I do eat lots of meat, eggs, veggies and FAT

- I don't eat gluten, dairy, or soy generally do not eat grains either

- I don't stuff myself - I eat until just full

-I don't eat lots of starches and sugar as I feel better w/ more consistent energy and I tend to get a blood sugar crash with too much starch/sugar even if it is natural things like honey and such

- I don't do a lot of formal exercise these days

- I do take lots of walks/hikes w/ the kids(several hrs a week in good weather), biking, running together- bodyweight exercises and sprints here and there.

-

Edited by soror

I'm in the middle of my weight range and in my late 30s.

I don't stay away from Ss.

I:

eat small, healthy snacks daily (almonds, yogurt, fruit/veggies).

eat sweets a few times a week (or a square of dark chocolate daily).

eat seconds of protein and vegetables.

I also:

drink 15oz of water before every meal/snack. Drink hot tea first when I think I'm hungry.

severely limit packaged foods.

severely limit eating out (fast food or otherwise).

limit my favorite carbs such as homemade bread. :glare: I keep a stash in the garage freezer and heat a homemade roll up once a day.

make a list of low calorie breakfast/lunches/snacks and keep the ingredients handy, so when I'm hungry I don't have to search.

eat moderately at dinner.

stop eating before 7pm.

We eat when we are hungry. A growly stomach is usually a good indication of hunger.

Not really. Not for everyone anyways.

My stomach never grumbles before 4:00. Then all of the sudden i'm ravenous! And of course, ravenous people grab the nearest, easiest quick food, which is often the heaviest in calories and lightest in nutritional value.

Then I eat until I'm not hungry.

Then I want a small snack at about 7ish

And then I'm ready for "lunch" at bedtime.

I eat a lot less when I force myself to have eggs or something similar by 10am. But I have to really think about it and make the effort bc I am not even remotely hungry or craving at that time. I could happily have nothing other than a single mug of coffee until at least 2:00.

The no S diet really helped me retrain my stomach to a better and healthier eating regimen.

People who don't need that to maintain a decent weight - Wish I was still one of you.:)

No Seconds

No Sweets

No Snacks

What do you think?

No. I'm a fan of the "No-D" plan: no deprivation!

If I'm really hungry and I liked the food, I have seconds. If there is a special treat around and I want it, I have some. Sometimes I even snack just because a snack exists and I want some! :D

I exercise regularly and don't eat excessively or a lot of junk. I drink water most of the time. I don't eat restaurant or take out food much. And I'm lactose intolerant, so I find that right there cuts down on a lot of the fattening things I would eat otherwise. I weigh myself most days. If my weight creeps up, I exercise more, give more attention to my food, or both.

That is my plan in a nutshell. Most people would describe me as thin. :)

Thanks, ladies.

You've given me a bunch of non-caloric food for thought.

I thought (and still think) this plan might be a good way to at least BEGIN to eat in a healthier way.

I like it because it is a almost mindless structure. Does that make sense?

I did WW and it "worked" until I stopped doing it. I lost 25 (which is only a portion of what I need to lose), gained back about 35. Then I stopped drinking diet beverages and replaced them with regular. I knew I'd gain more weight but I figured I deal with that after I dealt with the 20+ year reliance on artificial sweetners.

So in other words, I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Again, thanks!

:grouphug: I've found having healthy things around to eat, avoiding all sodas, caffeine, and eating what I want when I'm hungry works for my body. If I'm not hungry, or don't want anything but a dessert...Well then that's what I eat. I don't make myself eat a balanced meal...I go more for a balanced weekly diet. And this is strange, but since I've given up all caffeine and replaced it with good old milk, (not skim) I've lost weight. Enough to have to change sizes.

People call me a grazer or say I eat like a bird, but a little bit of a satisfying treat or meal goes a long way for me.

I hope you find your balance.

Thanks, ladies.

You've given me a bunch of non-caloric food for thought.

I thought (and still think) this plan might be a good way to at least BEGIN to eat in a healthier way.

I like it because it is a almost mindless structure. Does that make sense?

I did WW and it "worked" until I stopped doing it. I lost 25 (which is only a portion of what I need to lose), gained back about 35. Then I stopped drinking diet beverages and replaced them with regular. I knew I'd gain more weight but I figured I deal with that after I dealt with the 20+ year reliance on artificial sweetners.

So in other words, I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Again, thanks!

I eat 1 ounce of dark chocolate (70% caco or more) for dessert.

This^^^ It's even better with a few almonds and dried cranberries. Yum!

As far as eating patterns, I eat what I want and don't deprive myself of snacks or sweets if I want them. (For example, I had two small pieces of baklava yesterday :D) My weight has stayed relatively the same since high school, give or take 5 - 8 lbs. (well, except during pregnancy of course). I exercise by doing yard work and walking. I naturally seem to know when to stop myself and not take an extra snack or whatever. If I feel a pound creep on, I get busy with extra walking and cut back. The chocolate dessert I quoted above is my go-to every day when I am trying to be good and not eat other things.

No Sweets

I would die! LOL!:lol:

But when it comes down to any sort of "plan", I would just stick to the good old fashioned (original) FOOD PYRAMID! The key to the food pyramid is to know what an actual portion/serving is.

Edited by MissKNG

:smilielol5:

I have horrible eating habits. I always have. There were a few years that I cut back on white sugar and exercised.

I have good genes and a decent metabolism to thank for my weight/body style. I don't look my age, and I thank my genes for that too, because it's certainly not due to my diet.