Menu

"God doesn't give you more than you can handle"

or other similar sentiments. I get these comments a lot from my Christian friends and I hear it said a lot in every day life. I've never really known or understood where this comes from- is it in the Bible? Elsewhere? What are the origins of this statement?

I hope this isn't a controversial question, I'm just genuinely curious. :)

Edited by plain jane
spelling

I think that from Christians it generally traces back to 1 Corinthians 10:13:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Thus far my experience has shown this to be true, however He has certainly allowed me to face things greater than I thought I could bear.

I think it references this verse particularly:

1 Corinthians 10:13 (New American Standard Bible)

13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Probably from 1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

This doesn't really speak to trials per se except if the trial was tempting you to despair or give up your faith or something like that.

Yes, there is a verse that says that God will not allow you to have more temptation than you can bear:

I Corinthians 10:13 (New International Version, ©2010)

13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

or other similar sentiments. I get these comments a lot from my Christian friends and I hear it said a lot in every day life. I've never really known or understood where this comes from- is it in the Bible? Elsewhere? What are the origins of this statement?

I think that from Christians it generally traces back to 1 Corinthians 10:13:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Is that talking about burdens to be borne or temptations to be faced only?

I'm curious because I think sometimes we *do* receive more burdens than we can handle alone. That's when we lean upon God.

"God doesn't give you more than you can handle" is NOT in the Bible. God does not give you more temptations (as referenced in the other threads), but burdens and temptations are two different things.

Similar to "money is the root of all evil," enough people repeat these statements as Biblical, but they are not. ("Love of money is the root of all evil.") They aren't even misinterpretations; they are just not there.

There's also verses like, I can do all things thru Christ, who strengthens me. And the one in Psalms about the waters not overwhelming me. And Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

But I totally agree, when people say that God doesn't give you burdens to break you, they really mean give your burdens to him. We are never alone, and we can always depend on God to give us peace, even when our hearts are screaming that we can't go on. Oh, and there's the other verse, I am your God and I will help you.

Sorry I don't have the actual citations. I don't have time to look them up right now, but google and you'll see them. There are tons more.

That "misquotation" is wrongly and hurtfully used. It's used frequently to refer to burdens or suffering. The biblical standard with regard to suffering is that we are to share each other's suffering. Sometimes, there is no way a person could "handle" the suffering that comes their way without the support and help of the community.

I've never heard it used re: temptation, though I Cor10:13 is the likely source of the misquote.

This is actually a Christian quote that infuriates me because people would tell me it all.the.time. When someone now says that to me, I reply that it's not even Biblical and yes, it sometimes seems like there is more than I can handle. God is faithful and doesn't let me fall.

Beth

I don't think it's true AT ALL. Plenty of people have been given far more than they can handle and it literally crushes them :shrug.

Instead, I think that a truer statement is that there is no trial you will experience in this life that the Holy Spirit/God cannot walk with you through and give you the strength to endure/survive/heal. It's not about our ability and power, it's about God's power and support working through us.

I think people say that sometimes b/c they're looking for words of comfort and 'you're strong enough to do this' (the basic sense of that phrase) is their go-to. But it's not comforting, it's infuriating, b/c in the midst of a struggle like that you don't feel like you can handle it and it feels like a huge cosmic joke to say 'you're strong - so i'm going to pile you with misery and pain b/c i know you can handle it.'

Relationally and spiritually, understanding God as our support and strength in trial is a much better focus and a better 'word of comfort' would be "I am so sorry, how can I pray for you? What can I do to support you?"

I don't believe this.

I think it is a trite platitude. What about people with mental illness? What about people who commit suicide? Alcoholics, drug addicts?

:iagree: It actually makes me angry because it implies that if you don't handle something (while leaning on God or not), that you're somehow less worthy. I've seen strong people, including those with plenty of religion, come completely apart. I guess God wasn't paying attention when he doled out that particular burden.

I'm curious because I think sometimes we *do* receive more burdens than we can handle alone. That's when we lean upon God.

I read the verse as speaking of temptations, though I suppose one could make a case for being tempted to commit suicide in the face of overwhelming loss or depression.

I have never liked that saying and it has not ever rung true to me, even though I am a Bible believing Christian. I think that people have misunderstood the Bible in making this statement, which is often offered as a platitude to people who have undergone much loss or pain. I don't ever personally say this to people. If someone states this in reference to themselves, I don't argue with them because they are obviously drawing some comfort from it. But I don't use this to prop up folks who are feeling down, either. Just my own half a cent.:001_smile:

Phil. 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

That's what I think of when people use this phrase. Although it isn't terribly comfortable when you think about it. If all things are possible, I should be able to do anything that is presented to me and I'm not sure I can. Which means I must not be looking to Christ for the strength, which I know I'm probably not and then I feel guilty and have to start all over.

Going out on a limb to reply before reading the other replies... My thoughts on the statement in your title.

At best, it is used out of context. It should always include "when we call on Him." I mean really, would God want us to be totally self sufficient? That would keep us in a place where we are in danger of feeling like we don't need Him.

I really dislike the way this statement is often used. I personally believe that the Lord does give us more challenge than we could conquer on our own, if merely for the purpose of keeping us on our knees and humble before Him.

That's my pair of pennies.

Agreeing with others here and adding that I HATE Christianese trite sayings. It really is a way for Christians not to have to get their hands dirty and give grace and love and support and maybe even *gulp* TIME to the person hurting.

I had a Christian say to me once, "Well, I don't know why you are upset, God knew this was going to happen."

I wanted to SLAP her!

I don't know, but I can tell you I am SICK of hearing it! I feel like God has given me and my family more than we can handle and hearing that saying doesn't help one bit.

:grouphug: It is a catch all phrase by Christians when they really want to comfort but have no answers. I try not to use it because honestly as Christian I truly believe that the devil is real and does wreck pain and destruction on us, he wants us to doubt our faith, he wants us sad, and without comfort. I tell patients that God knows everything that happens and we will never know his ways this side of heaven I don't really try to "fix" them but I pray for them to find, peace, and understanding. I listen and pray over each question, anger, pain they may be filling. I guess the best I say to others is can I pray with you and pray that God's loving present and piece is felt by the one hurting.

I hope that you know that we as Christian really do love you and want to comfort. I can only imagine the pain and loss you are still feeling and the holiday season seems to emphasize the void.

Kari God loves you, I love you, and I am sure others on this board and real life will continue to keep you in our prayers

Oh, I think that verse is just talking about temptations. And that's what I meant when I said it was true so far in my life. I think temptations often associate closely with our burdens, but I don't think they're the same thing, and I think this verse says temptations because it means temptations.

Some other things I notice about it are that it says God "allows" the temptation (or suffers it to happen), but it does NOT say that God GIVES you the temptation. It DOES say that God provides the way OUT of the temptation.

And I agree that sometimes He does allow more than we can handle alone, and that's when we turn to God and to other people around us for help. Learning to ask for help has been hard for me. I think I am too proud sometimes.

The "God won't give you more than you can bear" bit is, for me, right up there with "God gave you handicapped children because you're such an amazing mother and you could handle it." Gag.

Agreeing with others here and adding that I HATE Christianese trite sayings. It really is a way for Christians not to have to get their hands dirty and give grace and love and support and maybe even *gulp* TIME to the person hurting.

!

This! And boy, it is difficult to be on the receiving end of this kind of Christian society. I've been through this and I can tell you, it weeded out the authentic, engaged believers from the "churchies." Those willing to wade into the mire to help me out of it - those are my true friends.

I have an older family member who is good at dishing out platitudes, and frankly, I have learned to shield my children from this person when they are feeling low about something.

There have been a lot of hurts on this board, seems like more in this last year than ever before. I am so sorry that many do not feel warmly embraced by fellow believers in a local church body (myself included!). As I transition out of my home school teaching career (next year will be our last), I am praying for God to open doors for me to serve those who aren't feeling embraced by the traditional church. I don't yet know what this will look like or exactly where it will lead, but I expect to roll up my sleeves and get messy.

Going out on a limb to reply before reading the other replies... My thoughts on the statement in your title.

At best, it is used out of context. It should always include "when we call on Him." I mean really, would God want us to be totally self sufficient? That would keep us in a place where we are in danger of feeling like we don't need Him.

I really dislike the way this statement is often used. I personally believe that the Lord does give us more challenge than we could conquer on our own, if merely for the purpose of keeping us on our knees and humble before Him.

That's my pair of pennies.

:iagree:

I dont think there is anyway a person can "handle" losing a child or other tragedies. You just can't "handle" some things.

I am a Christian and I do not like that line at all.

I agree. Some things in life you just cannot handle without the help of God. I have never lost a child but I can say right now that I would not be able to handle it without God.

We are really great at mishandling everything. I've come to put this sentiment down with "God helps those who help themselves." Misleading, it turns us from depending upon God to depending upon ourselves.

It isn't even true is it? In the end, in some sense, we are all given more than we can handle.

Life is more than we can handle :p

There's also verses like, I can do all things thru Christ, who strengthens me. And the one in Psalms about the waters not overwhelming me. And Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

But I totally agree, when people say that God doesn't give you burdens to break you, they really mean give your burdens to him. We are never alone, and we can always depend on God to give us peace, even when our hearts are screaming that we can't go on. Oh, and there's the other verse, I am your God and I will help you.

Sorry I don't have the actual citations. I don't have time to look them up right now, but google and you'll see them. There are tons more.

If one suffers, the entire body suffers; if one is honored, the entire body rejoices... We suffer together so that we can take consolation together... and many more ;)

==========================

Interesting side note: Shepherd in those days who had problems with sheep that would wander would break their leg. Then, the sheep would have to submit to being carried everywhere, depending completely upon the shepherd to bring it to the food and water and carry it along the path. By the time the leg healed, that sheep would stick to the shepherd like glue, because it learned it could trust the shepherd to care for its needs.

There are people who have been given more than they can handle.

Of course some will argue that is because their faith is not strong enough. I do not share this view of God as one who gives unbearable burdens as a punishment.

I hadn't read your post before I posted the bit about shepherds. I saw your post after I posted and thought 'woops! She's going to think I'm answering her.' The leg breaking wasn't a punishment, so much at it was creating a situation wherein the sheep had to rely on the shepherd. It was a consequence of wandering, but not a punishment, iykwIm.

You know, the more I think about this, as regards temptation, I think God does always provide a way out, as the scripture says, but I think it's equally clear from scripture that He understands that we will not always see it, or take it. Isn't that the whole point of Christ's atonement? To save us from sin because we aren't perfect and we can't always get it right?

And as far as how we feel about the struggles and burdens we face, keep in mind that even Jesus, in the garden of Gethsemane pleaded with the Father to take the cup from him if there was any other way, and wept. Why would anyone expect us to face our troubles without tears or trepidation when even Christ could not? Surely they do not expect us to be greater than Christ.

AMEN!

September 12, 2004, I heard a great sermon on how God sometimes does give us more than we can handle but not more than He can handle. Five days later, on September 17th, I gave birth to a beautiful daughter with a heart defect. We had no idea that she would not be healthy.

We spent the next six weeks with her in the hospital until she stepped into eternity with us at her side.

I guarantee you that was way more than we could ever handle but it wasn't more than He could handle.

I hadn't read your post before I posted the bit about shepherds. I saw your post after I posted and thought 'woops! She's going to think I'm answering her.' The leg breaking wasn't a punishment, so much at it was creating a situation wherein the sheep had to rely on the shepherd. It was a consequence of wandering, but not a punishment, iykwIm.

I have no problem with your story about the sheep, but it is really not the same thing: here, we are talking about God giving more than the person can handle- so it is implied that God puts the burden on the person. That would be the equivalent of the shepherd breaking the sheep's leg to force it to rely on him. Which is not a natural consequence of wandering, but a pretty cruel deliberate action.

I don't think we can have it both ways. Either we believe that God assigns a person his burden, and then yes, in some cases it IS more than the person can handle - or the burden just happens, through no deliberate act by God, and he can help carry it.

You know, the more I think about this, as regards temptation, I think God does always provide a way out, as the scripture says, but I think it's equally clear from scripture that He understands that we will not always see it, or take it. Isn't that the whole point of Christ's atonement? To save us from sin because we aren't perfect and we can't always get it right?

And as far as how we feel about the struggles and burdens we face, keep in mind that even Jesus, in the garden of Gethsemane pleaded with the Father to take the cup from him if there was any other way, and wept. Why would anyone expect us to face our troubles without tears or trepidation when even Christ could not? Surely they do not expect us to be greater than Christ.

Right. We're "allowed" to get angry and we're allowed to grieve. We should always remember that God is with us, so there should be an aspect to our grief and anger and confusion that is lacking for those walking without God, but we are definitely "allowed" to feel those things.

AMEN!

September 12, 2004, I heard a great sermon on how God sometimes does give us more than we can handle but not more than He can handle. Five days later, on September 17th, I gave birth to a beautiful daughter with a heart defect. We had no idea that she would not be healthy.

We spent the next six weeks with her in the hospital until she stepped into eternity with us at her side.

I guarantee you that was way more than we could ever handle but it wasn't more than He could handle.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your little one. You're right, we can't be expected to handle those things on our own. :grouphug: Thank God we don't have to.

(to the bolded) Praise God. Now that was a great sermon :D Last week our pastor taught on... When there is no way, God makes a way. When it's impossible, God makes it possible. It was boosted by the situation of a brother from church.

The Sunday before my friend had fallen in a driveway and smacked the orbital bone above his right eye on the running board (or step thingy, iykwIm) of a truck. He had a hematoma in his brain, shattered his sinuses, and split his brow. He's 86 years old. They told his wife he had very little chance of surviving the night. Monday, he was in an induced coma. Tuesday, the removed the coma inducing drugs. Wednesday he was waking up, but still very drugged (it was also the first time he used the bathroom, he'd held it all that time :p). Thursday they took off the ventilator. Friday he was alert and hummed "I'll be home for Christmas" to his wife, it was the first time she had cried. Saturday they moved him from the ICU. Sunday, we were praising the Lord and he was watching the football game :lol:

Monday, he was telling stories to my kids when we went to visit. Tuesday they removed the stitches and could not find the original wound. Wednesday he was moved from the hospital to a rehabilitation center. Yesterday we went to see him and he showed me how he can stand and walk (although he does enjoy scooting around in a wheelchair, that's new for him). Today, he's heading home :hurray:

Okay, that went long, but I've been praising God since the first Monday. Sorry, I needed to sing that from the roof tops :D

I have no problem with your story about the sheep, but it is really not the same thing: here, we are talking about God giving more than the person can handle- so it is implied that God puts the burden on the person. That would be the equivalent of the shepherd breaking the sheep's leg to force it to rely on him. Which is not a natural consequence of wandering, but a pretty cruel deliberate action.

I don't think we can have it both ways. Either we believe that God assigns a person his burden, and then yes, in some cases it IS more than the person can handle - or the burden just happens, through no deliberate act by God, and he can help carry it.

I dunno....I think it can be both ways sometimes. I think sometimes God does give us challenges to help us grow and learn in ways we wouldn't without the challenge. Not to punish us, but short-term discomfort for a long-term benefit (and I think short-term can include life-long when you're looking at things from an eternal perspective). On the other hand, I don't think that ALL of the hard things that are in our lives come about that way. Some are consequences of our own actions, and some are concequences of the choices of other people. And I think He does allow people to make choices--and also holds them accountable for ALL the consequences (unless they come to Christ for forgiveness, in which case Christ pays for all the consequences...which is humbling to think about). I think God is there for us and WITH us through ALL these things.

But I don't think there is a one-size fits all reason for all the pain in the world. I think it HAS to be "both ways".

Edited by MamaSheep

The thing that really bothers me about this statement is that it implies that God is up there heaping burdens upon us. Things happen to us because we live in a fallen world. Illness, accidents, etc. aren't necessarily "caused" by God saying, "hmmm...there is Cynthia just having a grand ole time. I think I'll mix it up for her a bit". In my reading of scripture, this is not God's nature. But through trials, we recognize our weaknesses - that is a blessing. When we respond correctly to situations we grow and become better people and God is glorified in that.

But He knows we live in a fallen world, and he is there for us to lean upon when the going gets rough. And, with God, we can face our afflictions even if we have no idea where they came from. It really isn't up to us to determine where the burdens came from - whether from a fallen world or from heavenly intervention; it is up to us to determine how we will face them.

I hate platitudes of this sort because there is just so much more to the problem/situation than the statement says. People continue to say these things because they don't really think through the statement and analyze it. They've taken parts of scripture out of context and put it all together in a lump platitude in the hope that it is comforting. It also alleviates the need to really address the person's issues to whom they are speaking. I think they mean well, though.

:lol: I keep missing your posts until I post. I'm so sorry. I'm not trying to be rude.

I'm not sure if we agree. I do think that God will give us more than we can handle without Him. I think the gift of life itself is more than we can handle without Him. I also think that if we stray too far that He will allow things to happen to bring us back to Him. Then, I always take comfort in, "all things work together for good to them that love God, and are called according to his purpose."

:grouphug: It is a catch all phrase by Christians when they really want to comfort but have no answers. I try not to use it because honestly as Christian I truly believe that the devil is real and does wreck pain and destruction on us, he wants us to doubt our faith, he wants us sad, and without comfort. I tell patients that God knows everything that happens and we will never know his ways this side of heaven I don't really try to "fix" them but I pray for them to find, peace, and understanding. I listen and pray over each question, anger, pain they may be filling. I guess the best I say to others is can I pray with you and pray that God's loving present and piece is felt by the one hurting.

I hope that you know that we as Christian really do love you and want to comfort. I can only imagine the pain and loss you are still feeling and the holiday season seems to emphasize the void.

Kari God loves you, I love you, and I am sure others on this board and real life will continue to keep you in our prayers

Awww... thank you! I have felt so much love from this board that it has helped get me through! Forever grateful!

The thing that really bothers me about this statement is that it implies that God is up there heaping burdens upon us. Things happen to us because we live in a fallen world. Illness, accidents, etc. aren't necessarily "caused" by God saying, "hmmm...there is Cynthia just having a grand ole time. I think I'll mix it up for her a bit". In my reading of scripture, this is not God's nature. But through trials, we recognize our weaknesses - that is a blessing. When we respond correctly to situations we grow and become better people and God is glorified in that.

But He knows we live in a fallen world, and he is there for us to lean upon when the going gets rough. And, with God, we can face our afflictions even if we have no idea where they came from. It really isn't up to us to determine where the burdens came from - whether from a fallen world or from heavenly intervention; it is up to us to determine how we will face them.

:iagree:Yes, that too.

You know, I like to think of it more like NOT the God doesn't give you more than you can handle but that instead he gives you whatevet you need to handle whatever it is you need to handle. :001_smile:

:iagree::iagree:

He will give your strength, desire to lean on him, support from other people around you, His own leading, to help you through the difficult times. You are not expected to lean ONLY on your own limited strength, knowledge, and will power to go through this.

In fact, believer or not, everyone needs support and encouragement from others to survive, not only hard times, but also just plain everyday life. God wants us to bear each other's burden.

For people who only say, "God will not give you more than you can bear" and then walk away without trying to see what they could do to help bear the burden of those they say this to, it is insensitive and unloving. We are the ones God wants to use to build others up and help them through difficult times.

Sometimes I think well-meaning people say things like this because they WANT to help, but can't figure out how. They feel helpless, but want to at least try to be of comfort to the suffering person, and just go about it in an awkward way because it's all they can think of. Often if we take it as a kindly intended offering, we will find that they are the first to step up when they see something they can actually do to help.

I think it is a trite platitude.

I'm not even Christian, and I'm told this. I think it tells us more about the speaker than any deity. All in all, people are often uncomfortable and at a loss with what to say when bad things happen.

Add that to the list of things to teach your kids, along with how to start a fire and make dinner. "I'm so sorry" sounds weak and trite, but everyone here knows how much it means that others comprehend your suffering, even if they can do nothing about it.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (New American Standard Bible)

13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

This statement shows not a removal of the problem, or an escape, but rather help to endure it, but not on our own.

Phillipians 1:13 For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me.

“Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, and he himself will sustain you.†Psalm 55:22

“Do not be afraid,†said Jehovah to Israel, “for I am with you. . . . I will really help you. . . . For I, Jehovah your God, am grasping your right hand, the One saying to you, ‘Do not be afraid. I myself will help you.’â€â€”Isaiah 41:10, 13.

We are required to lean on God rather than our own understanding and to pray for the Holy Spirit. Also to repeatedly ask for help.

“If any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep on asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching; and it will be given him.†(Jas. 1:5)

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding

“The helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you.â€â€”John 14:26.

Luke 11:5 Further, he said to them: “Who of YOU will have a friend and will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, loan me three loaves, 6 because a friend of mine has just come to me on a journey and I have nothing to set before him’? 7 And that one from inside says in reply, ‘Quit making me trouble. The door is already locked, and my young children are with me in bed; I cannot rise up and give you anything.’ 8 I tell YOU, Although he will not rise up and give him anything because of being his friend, certainly because of his bold persistence he will get up and give him what things he needs. 9 Accordingly I say to YOU, Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU. 10 For everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking it will be opened. 11 Indeed, which father is there among YOU who, if his son asks for a fish, will perhaps hand him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he also asks for an egg, will hand him a scorpion? 13 Therefore, if YOU, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to YOUR children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!â€

“The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.†(1 John 5:19)

“Do not be misled, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, for it comes down from the Father of the celestial lights, and with him there is not a variation of the turning of the shadow.â€â€”Jas. 1:16, 17.

Edited by Lovedtodeath