Menu

What books are you buying your kids for Christmas?

I'm really stumped this year.

I have four kids to buy for:

A nearly fifteen year old daughter who is beginning to enjoy adult books.

A ten year old son who finally got hooked on reading this year - his favourites have been anything by Rick Riordon (Lightning Thief), The Benedictine Society, Narnia, and Harry Potter.

An eight year old son who has not yet learned to love reading, but is slowly reading through The Series of Unfortunate Events.

A five year old son who enjoys picture books.

I'm also open to cool non-fiction books - last year I bought one of them The Dangerous Book for Boys.

What are you buying for your kids?

Do you have the jan brett books for the 5 year old? Here's a link to Fuse #8's Top 100 Picture Books poll that might give more ideas: http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/afuse8production/2009/05/16/top-100-picture-books-poll-results-1-101/

For the ten year old, how about the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins?

--also Sarah.

I'm buying my 3 year old a Fisher Price lift the flaps book, Dr. Seuss, and probably one of the Jan brett books (He's enjoyed being read the Gingerbread Baby book we checked out of the library)

Edited by vonfirmath

The Field Guide to Dinosaurs. They have several others in the series - Rainforest Animals, Ocean Animals, Polar Animals, etc. They have a decent amount to read for a little, and also have pretty cool diorama pieces to play with. They are between $10 & $12 on Amazon.

We are getting the following for our kids and their cousins:

H - 11yog- public school 6th grade - The Maze of Bones (book 1 - 39 Clues)

F - dd9 - The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

T - dd7 - Spiderman Look and Find (her request)

F - 6yog - 1st grade - Step Into Reading Princess Tales

J - ds 5-1/2 - A Treasury of Curious George

A - 4yog - preschool - Princess beginner reader and books on CD (Grammy request)

G - 4yog - no school - Harold and the Purple Crayon

The books for the older girls Maze of Bones and The Lost Hero, would be good for boys also and are 1st books in different series.

D'Aulaires book of Norse Myths

Chess for Children, M Chandler

How to train your dragon #1-3

Amelia Rules # 3-4

More Adventures of the Great Brain, Fitzgerald

Me and My Little Brain, Fitzgerald

Evolution: the Story of Life, D Palmer

The Wright Brothers, Quentin Reynolds

Would your oldest dd like Terry Pratchett books? Or the Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley?

My dc are getting the following books (from us or from others):

Dd 12yo:

assorted horse-related books (braiding manes/tails; Gallop to Freedom; riding exercises)

newest Warriors book

Guardians of Ga'Hoole books

Enchanted Forest Chronicles set by Patricia Wreade

The Ultimate Fantasy Sourcebook & CD

Faeries and Other Fantastical Folk

Prince Caspian (audio version on cd)

mini Unicorns book

maybe Tamora Pierce's 'Song of the Lioness' series

Ds 9yo:

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan

the newest Wimpy Kid book

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1

The Journal of Curious Letters

Finn Family Moomintroll

Lost (Magic Thief, Book 2)

Calvin & Hobbes comic books

Pearls Before Swine comic book

Game guides for video games he is getting

Other books we have gotten to give to friends/relatives:

Exploratopia (6yo boy)

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (8yo girl)

Zits comic book (15yo boy)

Manga drawing book (11yo girl)

Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual (10yo boy)

Fingerprint art book (along w/ inkpad & paper) (5yo girl)

Edited by Stacia

So far I have:

• How to Train Your Dragon
  • Percy Jackson (the second one...I forgot the title)
  • A Magic Treehouse book
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  • The Polar Express
  • A few board books for our toddler
  • Harry Potter (the first one)

A few others. I know I looked at Christmas-themed versions of If You Give a Mouse a..., Llama, Llama..., and Olivia.

We read a LOT of books, but we get them all from the library. We currently have 250 library books checked out. We can keep the books indefinitely until someone else puts it on hold and there are no other copies available, so we have had some library books that we enjoy in our home for over a year!! Each time I'm about to buy a book, I check the library and they always have it! Because of this, we dont spend a lot of money on books, but we definitely consume them.

Having said that, I'm giving my son books that will fill his personal obsession and that I think will be read and looked through over and over again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756622387?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0756622387

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756631122?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0756631122

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756645166?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0756645166

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756636027?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0756636027

He's also getting this lego brickmaster book with lego blocks. We have the castle version and he loves it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756672805?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0756672805

Thank you, thank you! I put in my Amazon order and am making a list of the other recommendations for next time I buy books.

I'm getting dd the first book in the Pern series (I remember reading those a long, long time ago).

I ended up getting ds (10) a historical fiction title about WWII, but now I have the Overlander series on our radar.

I bought The Inkdrinker for ds (8).

I think I have to look for a picture book in person for ds (5). Shopping online for picture books is hard.

For my 2nd grade, good-but reluctant-reader---Shel Silverstein's Light in the Attic. She loves books with humor and I thought the shortness factor would encourage her.

I bought the same book for my 2nd grader. He really enjoyed it when we had it out from the library. I bet she loves it too!

Have you read this? I have it in my Amazon wishlist, but can't remember where I heard about it. It sounds good, but I'm hesitant to buy unknown books.

Yes, we read "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon" earlier this year as a read-aloud. We all enjoyed it; I thought it was a delightful book w/ lovely illustrations. Plus, I love that the story is based on various Chinese folktales.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdu1402lChrznbveJ5PzzzyzKVFviFxN35w4DnDg-u2PfvxqPq1Qimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSinXl3b_pE47H9UM9b5o8rJGZNi_KeZd8TJoX5vhXdlFIY-5LvCQ

Edited by Stacia

I went for major fluff books this year!

For almost 5 yo LLL:

The Princess Primer

- she's been asking for this for over a year

A pop-up book about the Solar System - she saw this at B&N and went bonkers over it

For almost 7 yo PDG:

The DK Doctor Who Visual Dictionary

If You Love a Mermaid Tale - a Mermaid popup/activity book with two mermaid stories. Kind of young for her, but she fell in love with it at an independent book store.

My 17 year old is getting Getting a Grip:Clarity, Creativity and Courage in a World Gone Mad.

My 14 year old is getting the Giver trilogy (not sure if that's what it's called)

11 year old (huge reader; loved the same books as your 10 year old) is getting Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Lionboy trilogy, Cronus Chronicles, and Chronicles of Chrestomanci. I would like to mention that he just finished Peter and the Starcatchers series in a couple of weeks - loved them and Nicholas Flamel. Just more ideas. ;)

My 7 year old is getting the Catwings series, Tashi books (your reluctant reader may really like this), Magic School Bus books, Children of Noisy Village and Happy Times in Noisy Village, Owly and Sticky Burr. Other than board games and stuffed animals, all dd wanted was "lots of books."

For these two younger ones, I will give a basket of books and a reading pillow (a husband pillow).

Have fun!

Edited by lisabees

My just turned 12yo boy loves Mysterious Benedict Society books too! :001_smile:

Your 10yo might like the H.I.V.E (Higher Institue of Villainous Education)book series by Mark Walden. I think 2 have been released in the US, and the rest were released in the UK.

dd9 is getting The Red Pyramid and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan in addition to a box of used paperbacks that I have picked up for her including some of the Series of Unfortunate Events books that she had been reading and a few American Girl cookbooks.

dd7 is also getting a box of some used books and a magazine subscription that she wanted.

My college aged daughter is getting The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It looks intriguing. Plus I may get to read it, too!

"Amazon Best of the Month, August 2009: Mixing the magic of beloved children's fantasy classics (from Narnia and Oz to Harry Potter and Earthsea) with the sex, excess, angst, and anticlimax of life in college and beyond, Lev Grossman's Magicians reimagines modern-day fantasy for grownups. Quentin Coldwater lives in a state of perpetual melancholy, privately obsessed with his childhood books about the enchanted land of Fillory. When he’s admitted to the surreptitious Brakebills Academy for an education in magic, Quentin finds mastering spells is tedious (and love is even more fraught). He also discovers his power has thrilling potential--though it's unclear what he should do with it once he's moved with his new magician cohorts to New York City. Then they discover the magical land of Fillory is real and launch an expedition to use their powers to set things right in the kingdom--which, naturally, turns out to be a much murkier proposition than expected. The Magicians breathes life into a cast of characters you want to know--if the people you want to know are charismatic, brilliant, complex, flawed magicians--and does what Quentin claims books never really manage to do: "get you out, really out, of where you were and into somewhere better. " Or if not better, at least a heck of a lot more interesting. --Mari Malcolm"

Regards,

Kareni

My 25 year old SIL got a Starcraft Official Strategy Guide

The 25 year old dd got HP #s 2 & 4 because she was missing those

The 18 year old is Getting Memior's of a Geisha & Animal Farm/1084

Her SO is getting I am America by Steve Colbert

The 17 year old is getting Luka and the Lake of Fire By Salman Rushdie & a Complete Needleworks Guide.

Her SO is getting two SK books and the next year's calander.

The 14 year old get the Land of Elyon series

The 11 Year old is getting the latest Diary of a Wimp & Diary of a Dorky Girl.

Ayden gets a collection of Curious Georgre board books.

My brother has sent us some of the books off of our Amazon wish list

Edited by KidsHappen

DD 10, is getting 2 sequels from the book The Doll People--

The Meanest Doll in the World

Runaway Dolls

Garfield Treasury comic book

Loom Knitting Book

DS 9,

1st Harry Potter

1st How to Train Your Dragon

Garfield Treasury comic book

There are sequels to The Doll People?????

My dd9 listens to that on mp3 over and over. I had never heard of it and checked it out as that way and it was a BIG hit with her. I can't wait to tell her about the sequels!

All "bubblegum" books this year. :) Lost Hero, the first book in Ranger's Apprentice and the second book in Magic Thief. I haven't picked out a few books for the 4 yr old yet. I'm thinking he might enjoy Frog And Toad and a few others. Unfortunately the 14yr old still doesn't love to read. I'm not going to bang my head on that wall this year. Come to think of it, I might get him Tony Hawk's new book. He might like that. Here's hoping. :)

So far we have:

for 9 y/o:

2000 Guitars - The Ultimate Collection

100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Ripley's Believe It or Not 2010

Magic Treehouse - books 36-40

Hardy Boys - books 3-6

Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor

Sports Illustrated: The Baseball Book

Everything You Need to Become the World's Best Baseball Player

for 7 y/o

Raggedy Andy Stories

The New Adventures of Curious George

Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy picture books I found at a used bookstore

The collection of Roald Dahl books from Costco (has 10 books or so)

We are fortunate to have an amazing library here but my boys still want books of their own. :001_smile:

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate - - Kelly

Winnie the Pooh - - Milne, of course

Ariminta Spookie 1 - - Sage

Christmas Trolls - - Brett

A Christmas Memory - - Capote

Christmas Tapestry - Polacco

Pearl S. Buck's Book of Christmas

The Beautiful Christmas Tree - - Rylant

Harry Potter Film Wizardry

I am thankful to Better World Books' bargain bin, to Paperback Swap, and to Barnes and Noble for holding an educator's sale during prime Christmas shopping time.

I may be a bad mom. The only book I've bought is the DK Lego Star Wars Dictionary. They just have so many books already! Our house overflows with books and the kid books have to be rotated in and out as it is.

OTOH, somebody sent ME a B&N gift card and I spent it yesterday! I confess that 2 out of 4 things I got are books I want to share with the girls, though they are mine.

Ds 16 is getting The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol. 2 and GK Chesterton Complete Works

dd 12 is getting The Hunger Games trilogy

Ds 8 is getting Diary of a Wimpy Kid Box set

Ds 6 is getting How to Train Your Dragon

My older kids are getting Gift cards for their school bookshop for textbooks...sigh

Faithe

I am trying not to look at these lists as we are done!

6yo boy:

The New How Things Work Book

Drawing with Children

Chronicles of Narnia- LWW- Illustrated

Adventures of TinTin- Vol 1

3.5y.o.

Madeline Collection

3 different Max and Ruby books

1yo

Mother Goose for Children illustrated by Rosemary Wells- forget the author

i got 'people' by peter spier for 4 and 6 year olds

he has another picture book, 'noah's ark', which is all pictures. my favorite is after the ark has been emptied there is a picture of the inside of the ark all dirty from the animals.

richard scarry books are great too.

ds14- Xmen comic compendium, Spiderman book

ds9- Star Wars Clone wars adventures (easy Graphic novels way below his reading level, but most superhero comics scare him so these let him feel big without the scare factor).

ds4- Star Wars sticker book

dd11-hmm Ds14 got her a craft book, She is very picky about books. Most of the ones she likes now, I already own from when I was little.

My choices probably won't be of any help. :)

For 16yo ds: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls

For 14yo dd: The Space Child's Mother Goose

Ds is really into zombies and I thought the space rhyme book would be quirky for dd. I like to give them something different and unexpected sometimes.