Menu

My rant on IMMIGRATION

Ok, normally I stay away form this topic because, to be honest, I don't know enough to sound educated on it.

HOWEVER

We recently applied for immigrant status for the baby girl we adopted here (our adoption is final on the Malaysian end).

We took in stacks and stacks of documentation about everything you could think of.

We were fingerprinted at the embassy.

We were interviewed by government agents.

We crossed every T.

We dotted every i.

And we received a letter from the United States Customs and Immigration Services that our application for immigrant status for our adopted daughter has been denied.

And yet thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants waltz across the border every day....no problem. I try to follow the rules and do things the right way and get denied. Hmmm....maybe if I brought her in illegally it would be easier... :glare:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

the saga of our immigration is mind boggling. some of the highlights include them granting me a visa but not the girls, then saying, "don't worry, just show up at the border with them". huh???

then after 3 years when we were finally processed for a green card, one of them came with a typo in the last name, and they were furious that we hadn't reported the mistake earlier. hmmmm.... maybe because this is when you made it, not before?

at the very, very end, when i applied for citizenship, it was denied because they said i hadn't paid them. so i sent a copy of the cheque they had cashed. it took six more months for them to say "oops". and then a few more months before i had my interview.

for us, we found the best strategy was to show up in person, with every paper anyone had ever given us, all copied so we could leave copies with the people trying to help us. rinse. repeat.

ironically, at several points in the process, the INS folks we were talking to asked why we hadn't come illegally. sigh.... because we're not those sort of folks? but maaaaannn, did we have new sympathy for folks who make a different choice.

good luck!

ann

un-stinking-real!!! Heather, my goodness, what can you do? Is there an appeal process or something? That is just unfathomable! What would happen if you moved back? Would their answer stay the same if you applied while in the U.S.? Crazy red tape...

Well we are going to appeal and see what happens. Worst case scenario is we wait another year and then apply under a different process where she can't be denied. The problem is that she cannot even come to the U.S. for a VISIT because now that we have applied for immigrant status and been denied, any application for a visitor's visa will be denied on the basis of we are just trying to get her into the country to keep her there. So my mom will not get to see her for another 1. 5 years at minimum!

And to answer your other question..we CAN'T move back until she is approved so it is a good thing we were planning on staying anyways. :glare:

I'm confused. You've legally adopted her in the country of your current residence. You're a US citizen. How can they refuse to acknowledge that? Shouldn't she be granted citizenship based upon you adopting her?

:confused:

You would think but no. Eventually they will let her but it has to be after 2 years of us having legal custody which would be jan of 2012, before we can apply so we are looking at july of 2012 if we are lucky before we can take her to the U.S. even for a visit. :confused:

You would think but no. Eventually they will let her but it has to be after 2 years of us having legal custody which would be jan of 2012, before we can apply so we are looking at july of 2012 if we are lucky before we can take her to the U.S. even for a visit. :confused:

I'm sorry. That's just not right. :(

Sorry it's such a hassle, Heather. It seems unreasonable, but one of the reasons that I've heard for having to wait 2 years like that is to thwart human trafficking. You wouldn't believe what kinds of nefarious folks will adopt children for the purposes of selling them later. The sneakiest will just shuffle the children into countries with less stringent regulations and either sell them from there or use that country as an in-road to somewhere else. So while the process is certainly a pain for honest folks, it does serve a purpose.

Would you be able to take her to the US on a Malaysian passport? Maybe you can get a waiver too to bring her to the uS. Good luck. My cousin had a heck of a time getting entrance to the US many years ago and he's Canadian.:glare: It all worked out in the end though and I'm sure it will with you too.

Sorry it's such a hassle, Heather. It seems unreasonable, but one of the reasons that I've heard for having to wait 2 years like that is to thwart human trafficking. You wouldn't believe what kinds of nefarious folks will adopt children for the purposes of selling them later. The sneakiest will just shuffle the children into countries with less stringent regulations and either sell them from there or use that country as an in-road to somewhere else. So while the process is certainly a pain for honest folks, it does serve a purpose.

:iagree: I have a relative who had citizenship in another country who adopted legally within that country and faced the same problem you are having when they moved back. I can imagine your frustration, but I do know the laws are in place to protect the children.

So how do all those people who adopt from China and wherever bring their babies home? I mean - the parents don't have to go over and live there for two years or anything.

So how do all those people who adopt from China and wherever bring their babies home? I mean - the parents don't have to go over and live there for two years or anything.

Oh, the reams of paperwork and legal hoops that must be followed to the letter for children in China adopted by Americans to get back into the USA. However, during the adoption process and on the way home, the newly adopted children travel on their Chinese passports with a USA visa and if both parents are there for the adoption, the child becomes a USA citizen upon stepping foot on USA soil.

There is actually about a 10 day window during the trip to China to adopt your child where the child is legally yours according to Chinese law, but not recognized nor able to get to the USA according to USA law.

:

the saga of our immigration is mind boggling.

.. because I hadn't turned up for an interview to which they hadn't invited me. I finally cancelled my application anyway - I had no use for it in the end - but the process was tortuous. The San Jose CA office of the INS had no appointment system - you had to turn up at 5am and join a queue.... The reception was piled high with tottering stacks of files. No wonder they lost me.

Laura

That makes a lot of sense.

And we received a letter from the United States Customs and Immigration Services that our application for immigrant status for our adopted daughter has been denied.

Heather, how is this even possible, to deny your daughter legal entry into the US? You've adopted her legally. What are you supposed to do, leave her there? :glare: Will you still be allowed to bring her back to the States, if and when you return?

Can you contact your Congressional representatives? Someone from your home state?

I hope this works out for you soon. :grouphug:

:iagree:

Heather, I vote with Jean in Newcastle that you start really nagging your congressperson. I have seen this work over and over again. Once a congressperson gets on your side, they know how to make heads role.

I know of a woman who went through this with her adoption from Nicaragua. Unfortunately, after three months living in the country trying to get her child out, though the adoption had been finalized and both ends, she ran out of money and had to give up. She' been at this two years and her little girl is stuck in the orphanage. She is completely bankrupt and has given up the fight. So, I am just ever so thankful that you are there with Natalie, have custody of her, and a means of supporting yourselves within the country so that she doesn't have to be returned to an orphange because you MUST come home. That would be so gut-wrenching.

I do really think that you will get somewhere if you can convince a federal politician to take the case. Believe it or not, now is a good time to do it too. After this last election, a lot of politician's are realizing they need to rebuild some trust with their constituents and so they are looking for some "do good" deeds to accomplish. Of course, they'll advertise it to their own ends, but that's okay. As long as it ends with Natalie having her citizenship papers!

Faith

If you finalize the adoption in the US (long-distance, of course), she automatically becomes a citizen. Have you looked into having a lawyer do the finalization for you at home (US)?

Sorry it's so frustrating. When we adopted our son from India, we turned in all of the documentation to the BCIS (as it was called at that time) for a "green card" when we arrived back in the US. The regional BCIS office lost a document, so they didn't send his green card. We didn't worry about not getting the card, though, b/c we finalized the adoption within a couple of months and he became a US citizen. We hadn't needed the card in the meantime, so it was no big deal -- we thought. When we needed to get his passport a year or two later, we found out that had to have that blasted green card -- even though he was a US citizen -- to get a passport!

Federal bureaucracy makes me nuts. Sorry you're dealing with it!

Lisa

Edited by Lisa in Jax

And yet thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants waltz across the border every day....no problem. I try to follow the rules and do things the right way and get denied. Hmmm....maybe if I brought her in illegally it would be easier... :glare:

Just to clarify, you've hit on two entirely separate entities. INS and Border Patrol are different agencies. I can't tell you much about INS policy and how they work things, but I know USBP quite well. Line agents are hobbled by D.C. politics.

A couple of things to try - write your congressman/woman. Tell them what is happening and ask them to help you get this to go through. My brother did this and got very good results.

Find an immigration lawyer. I would try the congressman/woman first, though.

Jean beat me to it, I second calling your congressman. I would think a senator from your home state would have the most clout.

I am also wondering if the US Embassy in Malaysia can help in any way? Or if you've made acquaintance with any influential nationals who might be able to spark some action? (Even though it is a US issue, a Malaysian citizen might be the first domino in a chain, kwim?)

I am sorry for you, Heather, and especially for your mom. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

Heather, how is this even possible, to deny your daughter legal entry into the US? You've adopted her legally. What are you supposed to do, leave her there? :glare:

Apparently Heather adopted her legally on the Malaysian side. That doesn't automatically equate to being able to demand US citizenship for the child. The US has a whole lot of control over its citizens' adoption plans, and it decides which children legally qualify to enter the US and become citizens. Usually, this is all cleared in advance (which is why adoptions tend to take a long time -- the paperwork and processing of it).

A couple of things to try - write your congressman/woman. Tell them what is happening and ask them to help you get this to go through. My brother did this and got very good results.

Find an immigration lawyer. I would try the congressman/woman first, though.

:iagree:Contacting your congress person was the first thing that I thought of.

:grouphug:Praying that you have favor with God and man.

Apparently Heather adopted her legally on the Malaysian side. That doesn't automatically equate to being able to demand US citizenship for the child. The US has a whole lot of control over its citizens' adoption plans, and it decides which children legally qualify to enter the US and become citizens. Usually, this is all cleared in advance (which is why adoptions tend to take a long time -- the paperwork and processing of it).

Took the words out of my mouth! We adopted our DS from Russia and the paperwork was mountainous, but we had no problems once we were in the US. Our friends looked at adopting from the Czech Republic (he has dual citizenship) but while looking into the laws they discovered that they would have to live there for 2 years before they could bring the baby back to the US. That was several years ago (5? 6?) so apparently that rule has been around for awhile.

Heather, I'm sorry you've encountered this. I hope you're able to get this situation resolved somehow.

We have a missionary couple here going through the same thing. Their stint as missionaries is up, there is no more money coming in for them, and they can't get into the US with their daughter. The husband is going to have to return to the US alone to make money to send back to his wife and daughter so they can live here. It is very sad.

I am so sorry for the situation the OP is in and I hope that somehow you are able to get assistance from your representatives. It must be extremely stressful.

To others reading this thread, though, I think it is important to understand the goal of the state department in these cases is to protect children and their first parents from corruption and child trafficking. It is terrible if a child who truly fits the legal definition of an orphan according to the U.S. govt. is denied a visa, but the recent events in Ethiopia, Vietnam, Guatemala, and Cambodia demonstrate the need for the U.S. to be cautious. It is horrendous that children who really need loving adoptive parents and their adoptive families suffer the consequences of the bad players.

We made the decision to legally adopt our daughter in Vietnam in the midst of a looming shutdown knowing that we might be in a position of having to stay in Vietnam or move to Ireland or Germany for 2 years until she would be able to enter the U.S., so we had to think long and hard before proceeding, and were very fortunate to ultimately receive a visa after 2 months in Vietnam.

I do know that the majority of cases in Vietnam where parents were initially told they would not be able to bring their adopted children into the country were resolved long before 2 years had passed. I hope and pray that the op will have a similar outcome.

S.

wife and daughter of legal u.s. immigrants

Yes there are rules in place to protect the children. It is just frustrating because we did everything according to what they wanted and they still denied based on a lot of silly things (like the wording of a sentence in the home study to name one).

We are appealing. If they deny the appeal you can bet I will contact my congressman. Thank you for the suggestion!

Well we are going to appeal and see what happens. Worst case scenario is we wait another year and then apply under a different process where she can't be denied.

I don't know about children, but I have met several men who have brought over (younger) brides. To a man, they all hired attorneys to get it to happen. It is possibly expected??

And yet thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants waltz across the border every day....no problem.

This line really bothers me Heather. Every year hundreds of people die trying to illegally cross our borders. Some fall victim to criminals who who prey on them during their journeys, or simply die of exposure or dehydration out in the deserts.

A great many of those take great risks to cross and put their lifes and life-saving (or the pooled recourses of an entire family) into paying a guide (a "Coyote") to get them across, but not knowing if they will be abandoned and alone on their crossing.

Illegal crossing though the desert is arduous and dangerous. Hardly a waltz my dear.

You got a baby in a snap. The Government is righly suspicious about such adoptions. Your case maybe 100% kosher, but we can't have people just scooping up babies around the world without knowing the adoptions are legitimate, and not some sort of "trade" in babies.

I hope a Conrgressmen can help you get through a nettlesome bureaucracy. But I also hope you reflect on the lack of empathy you have shown for those whose lives are much harder than yours. Because they are people too.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Eventually they will let her but it has to be after 2 years of us having legal custody which would be jan of 2012, before we can apply so we are looking at july of 2012 if we are lucky before we can take her to the U.S. even for a visit. :confused:

I probably shouldn't even mention our immigration experiences, but suffice it to say that eventually they'll let her in. :glare: I *will* say, however, that it's a lot easier to become a citizen in the Midwest than on the East coast. :tongue_smilie:

You got a baby in a snap. The Government is righly suspicious about such adoptions. Your case maybe 100% kosher, but we can't have people just scooping up babies around the world without knowing the adoptions are legitimate, and not some sort of "trade" in babies.

I hope a Conrgressmen can help you get through a nettlesome bureaucracy. But I also hope you reflect on the lack of empathy you have shown for those whose lives are much harder than yours. Because they are people too.

Bill

While I am sure that people do die trying to illegally cross the border... many, many more cross illegally without issue, live in the U.S. illegally, use U.S. resources illegally, etc. I am trying to bring my daughter in LEGALLY and I get turned down? I feel sympathy for those embroiled in a LEGAL immigration process...who try to follow the rules...and still get turned down.

But then again, I can see how this process would make one WANT to attempt to come here illegally as it seems much easier. I could have just gotten a visitor's visa for her, brought her to the U.S. and then just stayed. But I didn't. I am doing things legally.

As for me getting a baby in snap...it has not been quite THAT easy. It has been piles and piles of paperwork, court dates, trips to the embassy, and LOTS of money and still more to pay. All to give a baby a home. And then they put out commericals about 17 million orphans in the world? Well this is one reason that is still a problem.

While I am sure that people do die trying to illegally cross the border... many, many more cross illegally without issue, live in the U.S. illegally, use U.S. resources illegally, etc. I am trying to bring my daughter in LEGALLY and I get turned down? I feel sympathy for those embroiled in a LEGAL immigration process...who try to follow the rules...and still get turned down.

But then again, I can see how this process would make one WANT to attempt to come here illegally as it seems much easier. I could have just gotten a visitor's visa for her, brought her to the U.S. and then just stayed. But I didn't. I am doing things legally.

As for me getting a baby in snap...it has not been quite THAT easy. It has been piles and piles of paperwork, court dates, trips to the embassy, and LOTS of money and still more to pay. All to give a baby a home. And then they put out commericals about 17 million orphans in the world? Well this is one reason that is still a problem.

Sorry, Heather. I think most Americans have no idea what a nightmare it is to deal with immigration paperwork and procedures. It is really frustrating for those with families from other countries, and I think you've gotten a taste of it. I don't think it's that easy for most illegal immigrants, but it's just sort of standard (unfortunately) for all of this to be a big hassle.

A couple of things to try - write your congressman/woman. Tell them what is happening and ask them to help you get this to go through.

I agree.

Edited by stripe

Heather, I am sorry for your troubles in obtaining your dd citizenship. However, I am surprised that you did not know that this was going to be an issue. It makes me wonder just a tad about the legal advisor that you had in your adoption. This is a very known issue in foreign adoptions. Just adopting a child in another country is not an auto in for citizenship. I cannot imagine your legal advisor in the adoption not pointing this out from the very beginning. As far as your mom being able to meet her new granddaughter, is there some way you can arrange for her to come visit you? That would be the easier, faster option.

As far as the ease of your adoption, it was quick and fast. Sort of seemed to be almost ordained, iykwim. There is no way you could have gotten through all that paperwork and legal tape doing an international adoption from the US that quickly. (I have btdt.)

Just for the benefit of any potential APs out there--the 17 million orphans are generally NOT healthy baby girls as young as possible. They are typically older children or those with special needs.

http://my--fascinating--life.blogspot.com/2010/11/queuing-for-starfish.html

(said as one who did adopt a HBGAYAP--and who would make very different choices if we were to adopt again in the future).

edited to add: I know the link above isn't relevant to the OPs situation, b/c the situation in Malaysia is different from Ethiopia. But b/c there are surely potential APs reading I thought it would provide some food for thought.

Edited by deacongirl

It is great (and the right thing to do) to do things LEGALLY. But you have options many others don't have. You can call a Congressperson, you have means to mount an appeal. And I have faith you will win.

But when you turn your frustration with the immigration process into a rant about illegal immigration I think you lose sight of the humanity of those you rant against. If you think most "illegals" just waltz across the border with no problem then I think you could use some consciousness raising.

Bill

Wow, I cannot believe what I'm reading! (I do believe you, I'm not saying you're lying,) I mean that I can't believe that it's working this way!!!) HOW RIDICULOUS! It feels like it should be an open and shut case. It's not a case of someone marrying someone from another country and hoping for citizenship where the marriage could be fake for citizenship.. wow.

I can't help but think to my husband's HORRIFIC co-worker, who isn't a citizen, but is allowed to stay in the US for work... Yesterday, he announced that Germany was very advanced and should've won WWII and then ranted on for an hour how he liked to get in fist fights- a real positive for our country, let me tell ya! I'd GLADLY nominate to kick him out and let your little girl in- if it only worked that way!

I do hope you find a way sooner, your family deserves a visit with grandma. Hugs and prayers, I'd be very unhappy too:grouphug:.

Well we are going to appeal and see what happens. Worst case scenario is we wait another year and then apply under a different process where she can't be denied. The problem is that she cannot even come to the U.S. for a VISIT because now that we have applied for immigrant status and been denied, any application for a visitor's visa will be denied on the basis of we are just trying to get her into the country to keep her there. So my mom will not get to see her for another 1. 5 years at minimum!

And to answer your other question..we CAN'T move back until she is approved so it is a good thing we were planning on staying anyways. :glare:

Edited by Tammyla

I hope your appeal is successful. I'm glad she's in your home - her legal status means nothing to her and as long as she is with you, she's probably happy as a clam. But I know you want your Mom to see her, and I hope this will be resolved quickly. Rant away. It's got to be a frustrating process.

It is great (and the right thing to do) to do things LEGALLY. But you have options many others don't have. You can call a Congressperson, you have means to mount an appeal. And I have faith you will win.

But when you turn your frustration with the immigration process into a rant about illegal immigration I think you lose sight of the humanity of those you rant against. If you think most "illegals" just waltz across the border with no problem then I think you could use some consciousness raising.

Bill

That, and where they have to stay to wait is not nearly as nice.

I do think we put crazy restrictions on attempted emigration, but :shrug: at the rate we're going, I guess they should just feel blessed they don't have to undergo exploratory surgery and reeducation first.

Bill

This is true. "Illegals" don't have it easy, even if they get across the border unscathed. However, they keep doing it because life here, even at the bottom rung of the social ladder, is far superior to where they came from. Most of the people who come here illegally would *never* be allowed in legally because they lack education and money. They are just people like you and me who want the best for their families, both here and in their home country.

One more try at evoking some compassion :

Suppose that your circumstances were to change in Malaysia: you and your husband lose your jobs and he can find only a job that barely keeps you alive and you cannot afford to live in a safe area. Something happens: a crime perhaps almost perpetrated against one of your children. Perhaps local organized crime becomes aware of your plight and begins to demand some of the little money you have to keep your family "safe." You know you need to get out, but you have no legal way to do so and bring your daughter. Are you certain that you wouldn't use that visa even though it would be illegal?

That is the true life scenario of most of those "waltzing" across the border. One pregnant woman whom I know personally had a waltz that included being held for ransom and threatened with having gasoline poured on her and set afire. Our immigration policy is not commensurate with the reality of the US economy, which absorbs (because it needs) a great number of workers willing to work at unskilled jobs--yet our immigration policies favor professionals immigrating. Go figure. Right now, in my state, the unemployment rate is high for skilled labor. Unskilled labor, willing to work hard, can be come by fairly easily. The demand on the US side combined with the supply on the Mexican side draws people in. (This works a lot like Prohibition did--as long as there is a demand, there will be a supply, but when the law restricts something that Americans actually want, you'll end up with organized crime.) As soon as that is fixed, you'll have legal immigration. As long as the demand exists, we will not be able to secure our borders--which I would support--but it won't work until we have an immigration policy that is honest. We say, "Go home" out of one side of our mouth and "Come on over and work for us" out of the other side. Right now, keeping these folks "illegal" serves the selfish interests of certain segments of the US population and for the most part, government turns a blind eye--AZ is an exception in that they went after the demand side as well as the supply side.

Many illegal immigrants are parents who want to be able to provide something more for their children. Homeschooling was also once illegal in the US.

The people I know who have immigrated illegally do everything else as legally as they are allowed in the US. They pay into our tax system ( we will give them a tax identification number ) and they work very hard--many starting their own businesses. They are also the victims of the organized crime that flourishes because of the situation.

You are living in safety and comfort while facing US immigration policies. The families of others are in danger when they decide to survive by risking a border crossing.