Menu

Would this comment bother you?

So, my ds7 came up to me yesterday and said that he doesn't like the band KISS anymore. He never really liked the band, persay, and knows nothing of them other than they dress up in makeup and sing one of his favorite songs: "I wanna rock n roll all niiiiight":) So, I asked him why he didn't like them anymore and he said that one of his teachers (he goes to a Christian homeschool tutorial once a week) told him they were bad because they weren't Christians. I have no idea how the subject came up. Now, we are Christians but I still find this comment to be super judgemental. It really bothers me that the teacher took it upon herself to tell my 7 year old that someone is "bad" because they have different beliefs than we do. The members of the band may have done some bad things (really, I have no idea. I know nothing about them, and neither does ds, except that one song), but I don't want ds under the impression that just because someone believes differently than us that they are bad. Would you say something to the teacher or let it slide? I hesitate to say anything because it's might be possible that he took her comments out of context. I don;t know though, that would really be unlike him.......

So, my ds7 came up to me yesterday and said that he doesn't like the band KISS anymore. He never really liked the band, persay, and knows nothing of them other than they dress up in makeup and sing one of his favorite songs: "I wanna rock n roll all niiiiight":) So, I asked him why he didn't like them anymore and he said that one of his teachers (he goes to a Christian homeschool tutorial once a week) told him they were bad because they weren't Christians. I have no idea how the subject came up. Now, we are Christians but I still find this comment to be super judgemental. It really bothers me that the teacher took it upon herself to tell my 7 year old that someone is "bad" because they have different beliefs than we do. The members of the band may have done some bad things (really, I have no idea. I know nothing about them, and neither does ds, except that one song), but I don't want ds under the impression that just because someone believes differently than us that they are bad. Would you say something to the teacher or let it slide? I hesitate to say anything because it's might be possible that he took her comments out of context. I don;t know though, that would really be unlike him.......

I wouldn't say anything to the teacher over this one comment, since you don't know the context.

You could use this opportunity to talk to your son about what YOU believe. (about people doing bad things, but they might not be bad people, that God still loves them, etc. )

I wouldn't say anything to the teacher over this one comment, since you don't know the context.

You could use this opportunity to talk to your son about what YOU believe. (about people doing bad things, but they might not be bad people, that God still loves them, etc. )

:iagree:

If it becomes a pattern, you may want to speak with her and ask her to clarify her comments, but for a one-time thing, I'd let it slide and just tell your ds that your beliefs are different.

Cat

Yes, it would annoy me. No, I wouldn't say anything to the teacher over this one incident. If it became a habit, maybe.

I would use this incident as an opportunity to share *my* values with my child. I would tell him that his father and I are responsible for his spiritual upbringing, and that we take that responsibility very seriously. I would tell him that if his teacher (or anyone else) ever tells him something that sounds contradictory to our values then he should bring that up to one of us so that we can explain our position on the topic.

I'd probably not say anything to the teacher but discuss your viewpoint on the topic with him.

And since the two remaining founding members are Jewish I'm not surprised they aren't Christian. :001_smile: They may not be the most moral people but they don't drink or do drugs (at least Gene Simmons doesn't and he's also well read, knows about 8 different languages and is a pretty good Dad based on what I know about him)

I wonder if it's an old throwback to the KISS stands for..... thing I heard growing up.

I might add that in the 80's many xians went around saying that "KISS stood for Knights In Satan's Service", which is not true. They came up with the name because Gene Simmons first band was named "Lips" and they wanted another one-syllable, easy-to-remember name.

(I was forced to go to one of those Peter's Brothers "Why Rock Music is Bad" seminars when I was a teenager.) :glare:

Oh, and another vote for "talk to teacher". If she is in a position to influence your kid for that many hours a day.....you need to know her biases.

Absolutely it would bother me. Particularly since I'm not a Christian lol.

I would go to the teacher and tell her my son told me she had made X comment, and ask her if that was the way the conversation happened. If she admitted to it, I would tell her that I do not believe in teaching children that it is okay to judge a book by its cover, nor to pass judgment on people for their religious beliefs or lack thereof, that you are Christian but trying to teach your son to have a nonjudgmental attitude, and that you would appreciate her not making comments like that to him in the future.

I'd use it as a conversation starter with ds, but not worry about the teacher unless it comes up more. With my own dc, I'd assume something was taken out of context or misunderstood or a basic statement was made and my child ran with it much farther than the teacher ever meant it to be taken.

My son will come up with some strange twists and ideas sometimes and I'm his teacher! lol! I'm not sure where things get spun around in his head. I'm so glad that I can be home for these conversations so that I can help him relax a bit and help him better understand things.

That would bother the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't go to the teacher because I'd probably be do dadblame angry I'd say things I probably shouldn't say. I'd write a letter, keeping a copy, asking for clarification. Then depending on what the teacher's reply is, I'd either drop it or take it to the headmaster.

In the meantime I'd be discussing with dh about the need to request a different teacher, put dc in a different school or homeschooling because I would not want my child in an environment that condones such statements. I'd also be speaking to my child about how so very wrong the teacher's comment was.

You live in the Bible belt, right? I live in the Bible belt....any music that isn't Christian will be deemed wrong. I would let it slide. If you are in a Christian group, these things will come up. I think it best that you talk with your son and tell him that not everyone views music in the same light. If other more important issues pop up with this teacher or group, I'd address those with the powers that be. Otherwise, it's really a matter of opinion and I'd let it go. However, it would annoy the heck out of me too!!:tongue_smilie:

I would talk to the teacher because this is the first incident that you know of. There could have been others, or with other children.

:iagree:

That kind of judgment and the habit of expressing those sort of opinions doesn't tend to be a one-time thing, in my experience.

In answer to the OP - I would be livid that somebody said that to my kid, and would probably jump right to trying to switch teachers or pulling my child from the class. Call me excessive, but that's in no way the sort of attitude I'd want as an influence on my young children.

I am a Christian. It would not bother me at all.

If I were paying for my kid to go to a Christian school - I would expect that the faculty and teachers would possess and share a Biblical world view. I am not saying that means "Christian good - other bad" (particularly with music - some "Christian" music is awful). I am saying that if they are asked if they "like" something or approve of something - that their opinion would be made in light of Scripture. "I don't care for Kiss because they do not .... which God's Word tells us we should". Or conversely, "I do like X band because they encourage ... which Scripture says we should embrace." If it's a gray area - I would expect they know both sides of the argument and be able to speak intelligently about their position. I would not pay for my child to attend a "Christian" school or program without their being a strong stand for Biblical principles.

So - in light of what your child said - it may be just that. "I don't care for Kiss because..." and a child would here "I don't like Kiss."

So, I asked him why he didn't like them anymore and he said that one of his teachers (he goes to a Christian homeschool tutorial once a week) told him they were bad because they weren't Christians. I have no idea how the subject came up.

I am the first person to be offended when someone tries to push their beliefs on my ds. I have dealt with some moms who viewed themselves as Super Christians whose sole purpose in life was to correct the rest of us, because it was clear we would never be good enough.:glare:

Maybe this teacher is one of those women (probably well-meaning, yet incredibly intrusive and judgmental.)

But maybe she isn't.

We don't know exactly what she said, and it doesn't sound like this sort of thing has come up in her class in the past, so I think some of us are a little too quick to vilify her.

She may have said exactly what hsbaby's ds7 said that she said. Or maybe she said that some of their music (lyrics) wasn't Christian and that it could be a negative influence on kids, or something even milder.

I guess we could object to either intention, but I have to wonder how the subject even came up. Before going off the deep end about it, I would certainly question her ds to ask what the teacher was talking about before she started talking to the kids about KISS.

Also, this child is attending a Christian co-op, and some co-ops are pretty strict, and their views can be quite extreme. And that's not a bad thing if all of the families are in agreement. If it's that kind of co-op, and hsbaby starts to hear about other comments from teachers that go against her family's beliefs, it may be time to make a polite exit. Even in a relaxed Christian co-op, I don't think heavy metal would be the music of choice for many of the families, so an occasional comment wouldn't shock me. The teacher has a right to her opinion, and if she made a one-time, offhand comment about KISS, I don't think it's that big a deal if it's not a pattern. And even then, if the other parents are fine with it, hsbaby's only real recourse is to leave the co-op.

I originally voted to let it go this time and speak with the teacher if it happens again, because it sounds like this was the first time she said anything like that, and it's already December, so if the co-op classes started in September, hsbaby's ds has been seeing that same teacher every week for a few months. If she only made one comment in 3 months, she's probably not the villain that some people are making her out to be.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I would consistently drive into the parking lot blaring "Heaven's on Fire". ;)

Nah, I'd just have a conversation with my child and let it go, and only address the teacher if it she were consistently showing a really judgemental attitude. I wouldn't mind her saying she doesn't listen to them because she prefers Christian music or something like that, but don't think I'd want my kids frequently hearing that certain people are "bad". (I'm a Christain as well)

Thanks for all of your input. I just wanted to get it off my chest and see if maybe I was overreacting. The teacher is a really sweet lady, I certainly don't want to villify her. I just thought the comment was completely out if line. Even for a Christian tutorial. I have no problem with them saying they don't approve of the music for whatever reason, I just don't like the attitude that people are bad just because they are not Christian. I don't even think that is a very Christian attitude so, no, I wouldn't expect ds to hear such things at tutorial just because it's Christian. I talked to ds about it and he understands that we certainly do not believe this way. I'm going to hold off on approaching the teacher, but will definitely be keeping the conversations about what goes on at school open between ds and me!

Thanks for all of your input. I just wanted to get it off my chest and see if maybe I was overreacting. The teacher is a really sweet lady, I certainly don't want to villify her. I just thought the comment was completely out if line. Even for a Christian tutorial. I have no problem with them saying they don't approve of the music for whatever reason, I just don't like the attitude that people are bad just because they are not Christian. I don't even think that is a very Christian attitude so, no, I wouldn't expect ds to hear such things at tutorial just because it's Christian. I talked to ds about it and he understands that we certainly do not believe this way. I'm going to hold off on approaching the teacher, but will definitely be keeping the conversations about what goes on at school open between ds and me!

I think you're doing the right thing. There's a potential red flag here, and you're going to keep a close eye on what's going on at the co-op.

I would absolutely not approve of anyone telling my ds that people are bad if they're not Christian, but are you absolutely sure that was what the teacher said? There's a difference between the teacher saying that the music isn't Christian and that the musicians are bad people because they are not Christian. Also, has your ds told you how the topic came up in class?

Cat

Also, this child is attending a Christian co-op, and some co-ops are pretty strict, and their views can be quite extreme. And that's not a bad thing if all of the families are in agreement. If it's that kind of co-op, and hsbaby starts to hear about other comments from teachers that go against her family's beliefs, it may be time to make a polite exit. Even in a relaxed Christian co-op, I don't think heavy metal would be the music of choice for many of the families, so an occasional comment wouldn't shock me. The teacher has a right to her opinion, and if she made a one-time, offhand comment about KISS, I don't think it's that big a deal if it's not a pattern. And even then, if the other parents are fine with it, hsbaby's only real recourse is to leave the co-op.

Cat

I'd hardly expect the teacher of a Christian co-op to be a big KISS fan either, and everybody has a right to their opinions. An 'I prefer Christian music' or a 'we don't think KISS sets a good example because...' comment wouldn't bug me at all.

'They are bad BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS', on the other hand, is an extremely bigoted comment and an attitude worth vilifying, in my opinion.

Assuming that IS exactly what she said. I'd take the time to find out first. ;)

ETA: We posted at the same time...I see we're pretty much in agreement here.

Edited by WarriorMama

I think you did the right thing. Children are going to experience all kinds of people who say all kinds of things that you agree and don't agree with. It's good that your child can talk to you about them and that you can then explain your own thinking process and beliefs. It's also good that your child learns that disagreeing with your beliefs doesn't make somebody a bad person. I consider these kinds of things good opportunities to teach children how to function in the world. That said, if the teacher where saying or doing things that I felt endangered my child, either physically, emotionally or spiritually, I would definitely take action.

This would be my gut with my kids. I have frequently heard my children repeat something back to me a couple days later only to realize that they didn't understand what I was getting at at all. Even my older kids don't "get" things at times and I would think that a 7yo would be quite prone to misinterpreting comments. My kids have come to me telling me something wacky another grown-up has said. If I trust the grown-up and don't have any evidence to think that they would have said such a comment then I explain what I believe to be true to my kiddo and say that I'm sure this is what so & so must have meant and "you probably misunderstood."

I imagine that there would be some comments that would be so troubling that I might want to investigate further...as in go to the adult and say "I think my child misunderstood you but claimed you said...." I've not had that experience yet. And the rock band thing wouldn't be one of those things for me.

I'd hardly expect the teacher of a Christian co-op to be a big KISS fan either, and everybody has a right to their opinions. An 'I prefer Christian music' or a 'we don't think KISS sets a good example because...' comment wouldn't bug me at all.

'They are bad BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS', on the other hand, is an extremely bigoted comment and an attitude worth vilifying, in my opinion.

Assuming that IS exactly what she said. I'd take the time to find out first. ;)

ETA: We posted at the same time...I see we're pretty much in agreement here.

:iagree: that we are in agreement! :D:)

Cat

I am the first person to be offended when someone tries to push their beliefs on my ds. I have dealt with some moms who viewed themselves as Super Christians whose sole purpose in life was to correct the rest of us, because it was clear we would never be good enough.:glare:

Maybe this teacher is one of those women (probably well-meaning, yet incredibly intrusive and judgmental.)

But maybe she isn't.

We don't know exactly what she said, and it doesn't sound like this sort of thing has come up in her class in the past, so I think some of us are a little too quick to vilify her.

She may have said exactly what hsbaby's ds7 said that she said. Or maybe she said that some of their music (lyrics) wasn't Christian and that it could be a negative influence on kids, or something even milder.

I guess we could object to either intention, but I have to wonder how the subject even came up. Before going off the deep end about it, I would certainly question her ds to ask what the teacher was talking about before she started talking to the kids about KISS.

I originally voted to let it go this time and speak with the teacher if it happens again, because it sounds like this was the first time she said anything like that, and it's already December, so if the co-op classes started in September, hsbaby's ds has been seeing that same teacher every week for a few months. If she only made one comment in 3 months, she's probably not the villain that some people are making her out to be.

Cat

Thank you for this post. I was beginning to be worried that I should never speak to another person's child ever again for fear of being misunderstood and start having to confront momma's with big panty twists.

When I was 10 or 11 I told my dad that the preacher said I didn't have to obey him because he wasn't a Christian.

Now preacher did NOT say this. I misunderstood what preacher had said and my mom and dad and preacher all took me to task over it. And it is permanently etched in my memory. It was a to-do and I was quite embarrassed. Anyway, I'm quite shocked that the majority of responses would not assume that the child had misunderstood. That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, imo, especially since there is no known pattern of wonky comments from this lady and was trusted enough to teach the child in the first place.

Thank you for this post. I was beginning to be worried that I should never speak to another person's child ever again for fear of being misunderstood and start having to confront momma's with big panty twists.

When I was 10 or 11 I told my dad that the preacher said I didn't have to obey him because he wasn't a Christian.

Now preacher did NOT say this. I misunderstood what preacher had said and my mom and dad and preacher all took me to task over it. And it is permanently etched in my memory. It was a to-do and I was quite embarrassed. Anyway, I'm quite shocked that the majority of responses would not assume that the child had misunderstood. That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, imo, especially since there is no known pattern of wonky comments from this lady and was trusted enough to teach the child in the first place.

Haha! I promise not to go screaming to the school with my panties in a twist:lol: I realize he could have misinterpreted what was said. That is why I am going to choose to ignore this incident while keeping my ears open for anything else that sounds "off". I have no idea how or why this was brought up and no idea why they don't like the group. According to ds she doesn't like them because they are not Christians. Not sure exactly how she worded it.....If nothing else it was a good opportunity to talk to ds about our beliefs and where he should go to with questions that relate to the beliefs and values we hope to instill in him.

I have to say that one of the big reasons I like my homeschool group is that for classes with kids under the age of 12 we do not discuss theology or anything like that. To be sure things are taught from a Christian worldview, but if a question such as what the OP had, as tutors we are told to refer them back to their parents. I LOVE THAT!

It is only after the kids are older that conversations about theology are allowed and even then, in the situation of the OP, the tutor would have probably referred the child back to their parent.

As for the original question, I would be annoyed and if it happened again let the teacher know.

DISCLAIMER: I am a director of the national program I belong to, but do not/will not receive any money from this post or any of you joining. :D

My guess is this teacher grew up with the backward masking drama of the early 80's. I'd explain to my son a little bit about that time period and the fears behind it.

I'd probably also use the opportunity to reiterate that we are all sinners and it is Christ's atoning death on the cross that affords us righteousness. Throwing around words like good and bad are really worthless because in my faith tradition we are all essentially sinners which is why we needed a Savior. There is no us and them.

I'd go on to tell my child that music should be evaluated based on whether it is God-honoring or not. If it degrades women, promotes violent, blasphemes God, etc. we don't listen to it.

I probably wouldn't bother talking to the teacher but mostly because this is a very common attitude in my social circle. I wouldn't be sure if that was my child's interpretation or the teacher's actual words and my only concern would be making sure my child understand our family's position on the matter.

I would have assumed she meant the music was bad, not the people. I don't think anyone would argue that Kiss has Christian lyrics :p

So... the comment would not have bothered me, but then I would not have assumed she meant the members of the band were bad.

Wonder what she would think if she knew my ringtone for my husband is "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC? :lol:

:D

I wish I was phone savvy enough to have different ring tones for different people.

Cause it sure would induce me to make sure the cell phone ringer was turned off before the service.

DH would want his to be 'Ina Gadda Davida'. Which, ironically enough, was supposed to be 'In the Garden of Eden'.

I haven't read all of the replies.

However, I think I'm one of the most conservative around here, and I wouldn't listen to that band for a million dollars, but I'm very disturbed by the teacher's comment.

No one can dismiss a person or people, made in God's image, as "bad." How incredibly arrogant. As if that person making that snap judgment were God himself!

I might say, "I do not believe that KISS's music passes the Phil 4:8 test for me and so I do not listen to it, but that's neither here nor there for school's purposes. Each family has to make their own decisions about music. Now, let's focus on our . . . reading . . . math . . . (whatever subject is being taught)."

Period.

No speculations about the people.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would address this with the teacher, but I'd sure keep a sharp eye out to see if these kinds of comments are a habit. If so, THEN I would say something. In the meantime I would tell my son that none of us as imperfect people have the right to label anyone as "bad." If someone commits an obvious sin, then their actions can be labeled, but people should never be labeled like that.

I haven't read all of the replies.

However, I think I'm one of the most conservative around here, and I wouldn't listen to that band for a million dollars, but I'm very disturbed by the teacher's comment.

No one can dismiss a person or people, made in God's image, as "bad." How incredibly arrogant. As if that person making that snap judgment were God himself!

I might say, "I do not believe that KISS's music passes the Phil 4:8 test for me and so I do not listen to it, but that's neither here nor there for school's purposes. Each family has to make their own decisions about music. Now, let's focus on our . . . reading . . . math . . . (whatever subject is being taught)."

Period.

No speculations about the people.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would address this with the teacher, but I'd sure keep a sharp eye out to see if these kinds of comments are a habit. If so, THEN I would say something. In the meantime I would tell my son that none of us as imperfect people have the right to label anyone as "bad." If someone commits an obvious sin, then their actions can be labeled, but people should never be labeled like that.

:iagree: Wonderfully put.

Agreeing with others. I wouldn't bring it up with the teacher. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and assume my child misunderstood.

However, I would tell my child that this is not what we (the parents) believe. We do NOT believe that religion determines the "goodness" of a person.

Then, I would probably hop on Google and find something good KISS has done, like raising awareness or donating money to a worthy cause. I'd share that info with my child.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I would go ahead and talk to the teacher, but I would do it gently and just looking for clarification. If the teacher confirms she actually thinks they're bad people because they're not christian and she said that to your son, I'd start looking for a new teacher. But as many others have pointed out, that might not be what she thinks/said/meant at all.

Is it possible that your child is creating a conversation that didn't exactly happen? That is to say, maybe the teacher didn't specifically say "KISS is bad because they're not Christian." If the teacher was talking about KISS being a secular band, or said that she didn't like their style of music, etc., is it possible that your child inferred the "they're bad" message? I don't put it past my 7-year-old to come up with her own analysis of a conversation even if it's not correct.

I had this situation come up with my daughter's dance teacher. DD (7) "repeated" what the teacher said and it didn't sound quite right to me. After about three times, I called the teacher to find out what was going on. A simple, "I have a question about x. My daughter said... Can you clarify?" It turns out that my daughter wasn't relaying the messages quite right. It helped immensely to talk to the teacher to get both perspectives and figure out exactly what was said.

In our case, it was about shoes. We had bought cheap Payless ballet shoes, and the teacher told her they weren't made appropriately and made dancing more difficult and the next time we buy shoes, we should go to a X store and have her fitted for proper ballet shoes. What my daughter heard and relayed to me was "My teacher said these shoes are bad and we need to to X store and buy new ones." It sounds to me like this could have happened with your child and the teacher's comment about KISS

ETA: I just read previous posts and realized others have brought up the same idea that the child misunderstood. So, everyone, ignore my post, :tongue_smilie: except for mothers of dancers who should take away the following message: don't buy your daughter's ballet shoes at Payless!:D

Edited by KristenD

So, I asked him why he didn't like them anymore and he said that one of his teachers (he goes to a Christian homeschool tutorial once a week) told him they were bad because they weren't Christians.

Yes, it would bother me, because it does not line up with our beliefs. A person/band does not have to be Christian for us to listen to them, and we won't listen to many Christian bands. (We are Christian, btw). This is an issue that is not expressly in the Bible and is a matter of Christian liberty. The teacher should keep her opinions to herself.

I have resolved to avoid most extracurriculiars and classes prefaced with the word "Christian"

It is usually code for:

But not really

Crappy lessons, but it's okay bc they are in a Christian atmosphere

Bible thumping ignorance, often not even related to the subject at hand

An us vs them mentality

An opportunity for a group of self rightous hens to gather and cluck over all those they view at any given moment as less Christian than themselves

I'm catholic. I'm fairly conservative by most standards, tho I'm certain to burn in hell by someone's if you ask enough people.

But the "atmosphere" of many Christian whatever has soured me on those labeled businesses and associations.

I have resolved to avoid most extracurriculiars and classes prefaced with the word "Christian"

It is usually code for:

But not really

Crappy lessons, but it's okay bc they are in a Christian atmosphere

Bible thumping ignorance, often not even related to the subject at hand

An us vs them mentality

An opportunity for a group of self rightous hens to gather and cluck over all those they view at any given moment as less Christian than themselves

I'm catholic. I'm fairly conservative by most standards, tho I'm certain to burn in hell by someone's if you ask enough people.

But the "atmosphere" of many Christian whatever has soured me on those labeled businesses and associations.

Well, since you said it, I'll :iagree:

I really think that most people who would say this really don't know any other way to express why or why not something should be accetable for a Christian. They probably grew up in a church that disdained all things non-Christian. Their parents probably differentiated between Christian music and secular music. Rather than evaluating something through a Biblical lense, the dogmatic "those people are bad because they aren't CHristians" is the only way they know how to determine what is acceptable. Biblically thinking Christians are not a dime a dozen these days.

I would consistently drive into the parking lot blaring "Heaven's on Fire". ;)

not me... I'd crank up the speakers with the ApologetiX parody of Rock n Roll all nite and see if the teachers faint. ;)

(so, get the KISS song in your head and sing it with these lyrics if you aren't familiar with ApologetiX)

I love the Lord

with all my might...

my heart and everything

:lol:

seriously, I'd use it as a talking opportunity with my child about music selections, and other things.

-crystal