Menu

What kind of Christmas/Holiday tree do you display?

What kind of Christmas/Holiday tree do you display in your home?  

1. 1. What kind of Christmas/Holiday tree do you display in your home?

• Real tree from a real forest/farm
    • Fake tree from discount/department store
    • Other option, please explain

We went to a prelit fake tree several years ago because we felt they would be safer with young kids. It doesn't tip as easily as the real ones always did, it won't dry out and become a fire hazard, it's much faster and easier to put up. It works for us.

There should probably be more questions on this poll.

We have a fake tree that's made to LOOK like a real tree--it's green and modeled after some tree species or other.

Then there are the fake trees that are all tinsel, or wierd colors like pink or pastel purple. My theory about the latter is that they're for lazy people who can then leave the tree up until Easter, when the color scheme makes sense.

Then there are the fake trees that are all tinsel, or wierd colors like pink or pastel purple. My theory about the latter is that they're for lazy people who can then leave the tree up until Easter, when the color scheme makes sense.

:tongue_smilie:Dd chose a hot pink one for her bedroom, and, no, she doesn't leave it up until Easter. It goes away when our other (gold foil) tree gets packed up (usually New Year's Day).

We used to cut one ourselves from a local tree grower. My dh has nothing to do with "holiday trees", so it always fell to me to put the lights on, and every year I'd get a terrible rash from getting near the tree, no matter how careful I was to wear long sleeves, etc.

Now we use an artificial tree that's pre-lit, and I absolutely love the economic fact that we've been using it for eight years, the convenience factor of having it ready whenever the mood strikes, and the fact that I no longer start the Christmas season with a rash all over me. ;)

We have a real tree - usually a Noble but this year it's a Douglas as there was a bit of a communication error with dh's work. We buy it from the athletics booster at his school as a fund raiser and every year the trees are beautiful.

We do have a fake tree that we used to use, but I didn't like the added chemicals in the house, so now it goes in the front yard and we put white lights all over it.

We used to go out back with the chainsaw to get ours, but then we moved to a great big city in the "lower 48" and had to get a fake one. That was 10 years ago & we still have it. Now we call it the leaning tower of treeza since it stands crooked. We will never send it to a landfill; we'd put it on freecycle if we ever decide to get rid of it.

We go over to my parents' house and cut down a tree from Grandpa's Christmas Tree Farm, otherwise known as the back acre. It's a pretty funny event, as the trees back there are now so tall that we kind of cut the top half off in order to get something that will fit into the house.

Our Christmas tree is a real one from our yard. I voted other because my kids pick them and they often look like the charlie brown christmas tree. I couldnt bring myself to vote real tree from a farm since it looks nothing like a real tree from a farm.:lol:

Ours is usually from our property, too.

And it also looks like Charlie Brown's tree. Sigh.

When I was a child a friend from school died in a house fire from a real tree at Christmas time. For all I know they were smoking or had candles or were careless, but ever since then I have always had a fake tree except one year. DH and I got a real one once after we first married but I spent the whole season completely paranoid that it would burst into flames at any minute. It wasn't worth it. We've had our pretty fake one for over 10 years now and it's still going strong.

We got our artificial tree a few years ago after our last real tree killed the vacuum. Well, technically dh killed the vacuum. It was a good vacuum, and I was proud of it (may it rest in peace). Dh had the job of vacuuming up the pine needles, and he let it go too long. Then the needles jammed in the vacuum, dh fixed it a couple of times, but it finally gave up and went to vacuum heaven, where it will never have to suck up another pine needle ever again.

We have two fake trees (the ones that are supposed to look like real trees, nothing neon here LOL) One in the main living area and one in the rec room that the kids get to decorate on their own. We started doing two this year because we have so many hallmark ornaments now that the kids complained about not having enough room for their funky ornaments (m&m ones, star wars ones etc.)

In our home we call it a Yule Tree, but when we talk to others we call it a christmas tree because last year when my dh posted on facebook about us putting up our Yule tree we got lots of comments wondering what Yule was.

ETA: I forgot to add that we have fake trees because I'm allergic to real ones.

Edited by nukeswife

My childhood memories of Christmas involve my Dad sitting in the living room floor, trying to fit a million color-coded branches into the right slots on our fake tree. I think I was probably 10 or 11 before I even realized people still used real trees.

Despite this nostalgic association I have for fake trees, we always do real ones here. I won't have it any other way. We cut our own locally one year, but I really just don't like the ones that grow around here (mostly Leyland Cypresses, as far as I can tell. though they don't drop their needles, and that's kind of nice). This year the kids fell in love with a Noble fir, so we went ahead and bought it, even though it was $30 more than comparable Frasier firs. I have to admit, it's a really pretty tree.

Here's our first tree since we've been married! It's skinny. We love it. :D

http://www.treetopia.com/classic-artificial-christmas-trees-p/pencil_christmas_tree.htm

In hindsight, I wish we had gotten a skinnier tree (not as skinny as yours, but somewhere in between). Ours just takes up so much space. We couldn't tell in the store how much space it would take up, we just wanted a tall, full tree.

I started with the fake trees in 1997, the year we moved to Florida, because I was afraid I'd bring scary bugs into the house with the tree.

Real trees for us....approximately $30 spent every year at Lowe's Home Improvement Store. Maybe when the kids get a little older, we'll go to the mountains in NC and cut down our own tree...

Some friends of ours just shared with us the other day that their first Christmas tree together was a real one....and it apparently was home to an egg sac of spiders....that hatched inside of their house...Christmas tree horror story!

Only real trees, always and forever, world without end, amen. :D:lol::tongue_smilie:

:iagree::D

We don't contribute to landfills, tho--we put it out in the backyard, which is 20 acres of woods. First we turn it into a bird tree by hanging homemade birdfeeders in it (well, some years, anyway).

Even if we didn't put it in the back, Fairfax County collects them and turns them into mulch for the parks.

We have a fake tree; green with white lights. I have severe allergies.

I saw some strangely colored trees while out and about, including a black one. At first I thought that would be strange, but then I thought it might be really pretty with gold and white ornaments and white lights.

My daughter wanted the light blue tree, but I talked her out of it. She picked the white one with blue lights.

When I found the real trees were all dyed that really bothered me. I suppose there are places were you cut your own, but the tree lots around me all have an extra green look. Also we would normally put the old tree in our 1/2 acre pond after Christmas, so unknown dye is not welcome.

We have lots of evergreens and hollies on our property, so we often get natural decorations for the door or the mantel. But the tree is fake.

Edited by OrganicAnn