Menu

Do you draw names for Christmas gift exchange with extended family? (A full-on vent!)

Three of my dh's brothers & their families live close by. We've always drawn names for a Christmas gift exchange, with a draw for adults, and a separate draw for kids. The limit in past years has been a source of some confusion--some people thought the limit was $25 for adults & $15 for kids, and some people thought the limit was $40 for adults & 25 for kids. I thought $25/$15 was a generous price range.

This year, two of the sil's got together & drew the names (as usual). They distribute a list that has the results for all of the families. When I received my list, in tiny print at the bottom it says: Adults $50 Kids $25

Do these people not realize that for my family that means $275?? That's almost as much as I'd planned on spending for all of my kids put together. :confused:

Maybe it's because none of their adult children are in college & still dependent? :confused:

Now, I realize that I could rock the boat on this (but I'm not gonna :glare:). I just came here to complain, vent, & move on.

Does anyone else have a family draw that seems outlandishly expensive?

Am I the only one?

(I'm all out of questions now, I promise! :D)

Just get stuff that has a value of 50 bucks but you find on sale for much, much less!

We used to draw names, but now just give the parents (the grandparents) gifts.

There has been a clearly expressed opinion that the actual dollars spent should=$50. In other words, they've made it clear that just because you found it on sale, doesn't mean you don't need to spend the remaining $$. :glare:

Heh...:tongue_smilie: Julie, we draw names in the family and I'm the one who wants the price range higher. I'm not in a complete twist about it, but I think $30 is not enough. If we were just starting this year and had no history in it, I would be suggesting $45-50 each. My rationale is: 1) everyone in the family is in a position to afford this; it's not going to mean going hungry for anybody; and 2) This is far more affordable than if we each had to get a gift for five siblings, six sibs-in-law, and 15 nieces and nephews. We each have two kids to buy for, and those children are also your birthday child the following year. For the adults, we purchase gifts for a gift exchange game, so that could be one or two or none, if you didn't want to participate.

But good luck...it's hard to get everyone on the same page in a big family as I well know.

There has been a clearly expressed opinion that the actual dollars spent should=$50. In other words, they've made it clear that just because you found it on sale, doesn't mean you don't need to spend the remaining $$. :glare:

Too bad, I say. How the heck would someone know how much someone else paid for something, anyway? :confused:

Well my husbands family tried pushing that between the cousin families and we just opted out, much to their annoyance.

Not only do I think $50/25 is outlandish, I think buying for adults is outlandish in general.

And I hate money stipulations. If I see something "perfect" and feel inclined to give it, then that's what I want to do. I truely could not care less if they get us anything at all, much less the dollar amount.

Personally I think these mandated gift exchanges are just a foolish waste of money. Most of the time, someone who barely knows you ends up getting you crap you don't want, need, or like. What a waste of money! And it adds so much stress to the holidays.

We buy for our kids. Maybe two or three times over the years we've bought for each other. My in laws have money and buy absolutely anything you can imagine, so we only buy for them if we can think of some thing. Dern near a Christmas

miracle when that happens.

We buy for other as funds and inspiration allow. Well except for one friend. I love x, but they have a bit of a Sheldon complex. I cannot do anything for x without x feeling a pressing need to return the favor in some way. I hate that. I mean it's nice, but it kind of robs me of the joy of giving knowing that it apparently causes the score clock to start.

Ug.. Yes, I hate these holidays. Have my entire life.

I like Easter, Halloween and fourth of July. No stress, all enjoyment and good food.

Those that express such an opinion can cough up the money.

Sorry, I'd tell those in charge that my gift will be what I spend on it and nothing more. If it isn't liked they can take my name off the list. have they forgotten that gifts are gifts not something mandated?

:grouphug: I hope you can find some good sales.

My sisters and I stopped exchanging gifts years ago. We get something for each of the children (under 18) and gifts for my parents and grandmother.

DH's family is outrageous. MIL thinks that we should get gifts for each person in the family. Last year, MIL suggested $50 per person. We settled on $25 and exchanged names. MIL was not happy. We won't know until Saturday whether we are expected to buy for everyone or are exchanging names again. (MIL has already stated that she has bought gifts for everyone.) There is no way we can afford much more than $25 per person. If we are expected to buy for everyone it will be $25-30 per family.

Not only do I think $50/25 is outlandish, I think buying for adults is outlandish in general.

And I hate money stipulations. If I see something "perfect" and feel inclined to give it, then that's what I want to do. I truely could not care less if they get us anything at all, much less the dollar amount.

I agree with Martha. :iagree:

We don't draw names and over the years the exchanges have mostly gone away, too. Long ago when we were young and both working and had no kids and few nieces/nephews we got everyone a gift. I enjoyed the shopping and the giving. Then one year dh moved to a new job. That first year was his probationary year so the pay was very low. That year we were able to do gift cards for just the kids; no adult gifts. A couple years later dh got laid off. Our family (both sides) insisted we not exchange gifts--that we should just do what we could for our own kids.

That was a few years ago and things are better for us now financially. But the no gift thing has stuck. Occasionally we'll get/give a family gift, but it's not expected. It's only if something strikes our fancy.

I'm sorry your situation puts a damper on the holidays for you. :(

Cinder

Heh...:tongue_smilie: Julie, we draw names in the family and I'm the one who wants the price range higher. I'm not in a complete twist about it, but I think $30 is not enough. If we were just starting this year and had no history in it, I would be suggesting $45-50 each.

:D So I take it you're not trying to scrape by and pay for college for multiple dc at once, as well as paying for homeschool materials for the youngers, and trying to buy groceries enough to fill up 5 teenagers? :lol:

I would love to do drawing names. Instead, everybody is supposed to buy for everybody else. I think it's stupid. I'd rather just get together and have fun. Instead, there are mounds of gifts. Several of the people in the extended family do their family Christmas combined with the extended family Christmas. It takes hours to get through it all.

I'd much rather just meet up and talk together without any gift exchange.

It's none of their business whether you spend $50 actual dollars or if you are able to score some good sale items.

It's unbelievably poor manners to dictate to another family what they should spend on gifts or to account for whether those items were sale items or not. Shame!

I have a friend whose in-laws decided one year that everyone should spend $100 per person. My friends are very frugal and are able to give an appearance of financial wealth while living on very little--there really did NOT have this kind of money to spend at Christmas. They simply informed everyone that they would NOT be spending that much money per person, nor did they expect or require that anyone spend that kind of money on them. There was grumbling and drama, but my friend quietly stuck to her guns. There has been no further fussing about it in the years since.

ugh,, We have had this issue the past few years in my family too. We have one aunt in particular who is crazy about this stuff. The rest of us want to tone things down, so we suggested the drawing of the names and the $50 per couple rule. She didn't like that. She thought that my grandmother needed to continue to be buying for her grown children, because they still bought for me and my siblings when we were their age.

The family has become so big, and my grandmother too old to shop, that we were all trying to make things simpler. To think that she would come out and say that someone 'owed" her family material items is beyond me.

The rest of the family was happy with this arrangement. The next year we tried a dirty santa instead, and she really had a fit. She even left the gift that she received (which I had brought...) I mean how rude. I don't understand this mindset, and it is pretty much ruining the yearly holiday atmosphere.

If I were in your family I would just want one of your fabulous desserts! :D

:001_smile: That's nice of you to say! That's what I'll be doing for my sisters & their families--lovely cheesecakes for all.

My dh's family doesn't even usually assign me to bring dessert to family gatherings. :001_huh::sad:

But...does it mean you have to spend $50.00 on adults? Could it not be less? A nice little basket of soaps/lotions for the ladies would not amount to $50.00. Some small hand tool/chocolate/whatever for the guys would also be well within that range. Will they expect to see the receipt and check to see if you came as close to $50.00 as possible? I would perhaps say nothing openly but just buy something for less.

Will they ask for the receipts? :glare:

Guest Dulcimeramy

It is 2010. Are they out of their ever-loving minds?

No way would I go along with this. No way.

And, Quill, if I were that greedy I wouldn't tell everybody.

We used to draw names, but... it's just kind of dumb. I mean, no one really needs anything and it got to be a pain. The kids draw names, but each family unit brings something for every other family unit that they made. For example, last year I made bread and jam, one sil made a platter of mini-bundts for each family, another sil made a tin of cookies. I liked that so much better. Fortunately, my family all agrees this is a good thing. Some families.... not so much.

Don't participate. When our families did that you chose whether you wanted your name in the pot or not. I'd just say, "We are not participating this year." Eventually we stopped all that dumb stuff anyway. Why should I spend $50 buying you junk when you can take your own $50 and buy yourself what you want.

I think the whole thing is silly and a waste of time and money. Families should just get together and enjoy fellowship without it being all about junk no one needs.

But...does it mean you have to spend $50.00 on adults? Could it not be less? A nice little basket of soaps/lotions for the ladies would not amount to $50.00. Some small hand tool/chocolate/whatever for the guys would also be well within that range. Will they expect to see the receipt and check to see if you came as close to $50.00 as possible? I would perhaps say nothing openly but just buy something for less.

It means that the *minimum* is $50 per adult. There will be mental calculations amongst the sil assessing whether the gift-givers actually spent the full $50. Because my dh is ever so much sweeter, nicer, more generous, and less *budget aware* than I am, he will definitely insist that we comply (bless his heart!! ;))

And, Quill, if I were that greedy I wouldn't tell everybody.

Surprisingly, it's because I think it's not enough for what I want to give, not because I am concerned about what we'll get. I want my "assigned" kids to be totally thrilled with their gifts. I want the recipient of my santa-tree gift to be ecstatic that they picked that one.

Don't participate. When our families did that you chose whether you wanted your name in the pot or not. I'd just say, "We are not participating this year." Eventually we stopped all that dumb stuff anyway. Why should I spend $50 buying you junk when you can take your own $50 and buy yourself what you want.

I think the whole thing is silly and a waste of time and money. Families should just get together and enjoy fellowship without it being all about junk no one needs.

:iagree:

So I take it you're not trying to scrape by and pay for college for multiple dc at once, as well as paying for homeschool materials for the youngers, and trying to buy groceries enough to fill up 5 teenagers?

True, I don't have any kids in college (although I am in college) and I don't have five teenagers to feed. ;) But there are other family members who do have kids in college; the one with four kids was the one who, years ago, would get in a fight every year with another SIL because the one with 4 kids thought it should be more. And it's been $30 for like 16 years! I just think it's time to move it up.

Personally, I would be fine with exchanging no gifts; I suggested that one year on my side of the family and my mother thought it was an outrage. I wish my side of the family would do anything systematic. It's gobs of chintzy gifts to get for everybody and gobs of chintzy gifts to bring home at the end of the night. It gives me a headache. I far, far prefer the in-laws with the gift exchange and gift game.

My parents and aunts/uncles began exchanging names years ago, then we kids (6 cousins) joined the pool as we got older. I don't remember there being a specific price range, but we usually kept it around $20-30, which was a manageable $40-60 for dh and I together.

A couple of years ago, we quit that tradition, and it's been a partial relief, because I never have any idea what to get for a weird aunt or a picky cousin!

True, I don't have any kids in college (although I am in college) and I don't have five teenagers to feed. ;)

Sorry, I definitely didn't mean to be insulting in any way. I was just trying to explain why it's personally such a big deal this year, where it might not be for people in other situations. :001_smile:

We draw names, but the limit is $20.00 for kids and adults. It adds up quickly with just $20.00. Why are the adult gifts so pricey? I'd rather spend more on the kids and less on the adults. Plus, if your adult kids are college aged and still dependent, I think they should count as kids, not adults.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

With all due respect, I think your family is freakin nuts! My brothers, sister, and I, along with our spouses, exchanged names for a couple of years, and then we just decided to stop that and buy for the kids only. Our limit was $25, and I thought that was plenty. You can get some nice and thoughtful stuff for $25; books, gift cards, small appliances/tools, etc. It was really nice. I kinda wish we still did that, but with both of my brothers being in the military, it just doesn't work out. We don't exchange with extended family. There is no way we could afford it. I love having a short and sweet Christmas list.

I think I would honestly just opt out of the gift exchange. Actually I know I would. We couldn't afford it.

Sorry, I definitely didn't mean to be insulting in any way. I was just trying to explain why it's personally such a big deal this year, where it might not be for people in other situations.

No offense taken.

I know how it is in big families. We share a lot of things this way and it is hard with different financial constraints. We also all co-own a beach house and discrepancies come up with this, too.

We have the opposite problem: gift max of $5. Every find something for an adult for $5 that doesn't look cheap. Oh, one more thing: none of them want books!!!!!!! I HATE the Christmas gift exchange.

Yes, might as well say buy trash or junk. In fact,the worst concept ever IMHO was to purposely buy white elephant junk gifts. Worst one or supposedly most unique "wins".

I'm all for drawing names and such... But to set a minimum price limit? Why not just have everybody exchange cash and be done with it?!? I thought the idea of the price limit was to make sure that everyone got something within a similar value range. So Aunt Myrtle doesn't get a sweater while Cousin Jason gets a flat screen tv.

I'd be sorely tempted to say, "I'm so sorry, but this is infeasible for our family. We will have to opt out this year." And then give each of the other family units a pretty basket with some of your lovely desserts and call it a holiday. If they don't give your family anything, well, perhaps it's for the best in the end anyway.

Yeah, but how will they know how much you actually spent? If they outright ask you if you spent $50 on it, that's pretty rude & I'd come out and say that. If you go out or online this weekend you can easily find something that goes for $50 that is on sale for half or less.

Opt out of the drawing. That's what we do.

:iagree:

When my girls were young our financial situation was dramatically different than others in the family, yet we were put into drawings, some with cousins we'd barely met due to someone marrying, or living with, etc. It made me nuts to be told I had to spend $25 per person and shop off some random list for some random person.

To be fair, I opted out the following year before the drawing, not after people were already buying gifts, but I did call an end to it for us. Now, with more children, I'm really glad. More kids already means I'm buying more presents for them. I don't need to also buy more for cousins too than the other cousins.

Dh has a sister and two brothers, each of whom has a spouse and 2-3 dc. Dh & I also have 2 dc. So at MIL & FIL's house each New Year's Eve (that's when we exchange gifts), there are 10 adults and 10 dc. We used to all give each person a gift, but there are just too many of us now. So we decided to exchange names.

One BIL & SIL spend much more on Christmas gifts than the rest of us do. We've asked them to keep to a limit, but they've always refused, saying they "just enjoy buying gifts so much"... :rolleyes: They make a LOT more money than the rest of us. Dh & I are the ones who have the least amount of money. Another BIL & SIL are generally the cheapskates of the family. There, I said it. :ohmy: They could spend more, but they just don't. The Big Spenders probably spend $40+ per gift; the Cheapskates probably spend <$15, and the rest of us fall somewhere in between, around $20-$25.

Everyone, young and old, makes a Christmas list, complete with preferred colors, sizes, etc. so the rest of the crew will have some idea of what to give. All the kids spend a fair amount of time making out their lists, and hoping that they get some of the "fun" items they put on it, and not too many "necessities" like pajamas and socks and t-shirts. (My kid have NEVER wanted clothes as a gift. I agree. IMO, clothes are necessities; gifts should be splurges.) Anyway...

There was one year when all the dc were pretty little, and the two dc that are closest in age to mine received gifts from the Big Spenders: the nephew who is a few months younger than my ER opened a HUGE box containing an air hockey table, and his sister who is a few months older than my EK opened another big box containing a big, lovely wooden jewelry box, with a real diamond birthstone ring in a smaller wrapped box inside. Guess what my dc received from the Cheapskates? Each received a fleece sweater-vest--which I had seen on sale at Walmart earlier that week for $7. I remember thinking that surely this was only part of each child's gift, and there were surely another package for each of them, but no, that was it.

I was so disappointed for my dc that they didn't get ANY of the items on their lists. It probably wouldn't have mattered so much if they'd been older, but they were pretty young at the time (6 & 10, maybe), and I'm sure it's hard for kids that age to understand the inequity. Heck, it's hard for ME to understand it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by ereks mom

There was one year when all the dc were pretty little, and the two dc that are closest in age to mine received gifts from the Big Spenders: the nephew who is a few months younger than my ER opened a HUGE box containing an air hockey table, and his sister who is a few months older than my EK opened another big box containing a big, lovely wooden jewelry box, with a real diamond birthstone ring in a smaller wrapped box inside. Guess what my dc received from the Cheapskates? Each received a fleece sweater-vest--which I had seen on sale at Walmart earlier that week for $7.

This is exactly why I do agree with having a price range, although I would call it a value range and not a specific number of dollars like the OP was saying.

Dh has a sister and two brothers, each of whom has a spouse and 2-3 dc. Dh & I also have 2 dc. So at MIL & FIL's house each New Year's Eve (that's when we exchange gifts), there are 10 adults and 10 dc. We used to all give each person a gift, but there are just too many of us now. So we decided to exchange names.

One BIL & SIL spend much more on Christmas gifts than the rest of us do. We've asked them to keep to a limit, but they've always refused, saying they "just enjoy buying gifts so much"... :rolleyes: They make a LOT more money than the rest of us. Dh & I are the ones who have the least amount of money. Another BIL & SIL are generally the cheapskates of the family. There, I said it. :ohmy: They could spend more, but they just don't. The Big Spenders probably spend $40+ per gift; the Cheapskates probably spend <$15, and the rest of us fall somewhere in between, around $20-$25.

Everyone, young and old, makes a Christmas list, complete with preferred colors, sizes, etc. so the rest of the crew will have some idea of what to give. All the kids spend a fair amount of time making out their lists, and hoping that they get some of the "fun" items they put on it, and not too many "necessities" like pajamas and socks and t-shirts. (My kid have NEVER wanted clothes as a gift. I agree. IMO, clothes are necessities; gifts should be splurges.) Anyway...

There was one year when all the dc were pretty little, and the two dc that are closest in age to mine received gifts from the Big Spenders: the nephew who is a few months younger than my ER opened a HUGE box containing an air hockey table, and his sister who is a few months older than my EK opened another big box containing a big, lovely wooden jewelry box, with a real diamond birthstone ring in a smaller wrapped box inside. Guess what my dc received from the Cheapskates? Each received a fleece sweater-vest--which I had seen on sale at Walmart earlier that week for $7. I remember thinking that surely this was only part of each child's gift, and there were surely another package for each of them, but no, that was it.

I was so disappointed for my dc that they didn't get ANY of the items on their lists. It probably wouldn't have mattered so much if they'd been older, but they were pretty young at the time (6 & 10, maybe), and I'm sure it's hard for kids that age to understand the inequity. Heck, it's hard for ME to understand it. :tongue_smilie:

Are you one of my aunts? :lol: This sounds like our family Christmas growing up. We didn't have anyone go nuts splurging (sometimes someone would go over the $25 limit, but not by too much) but we did have the cheap-o relatives. And before anyone jumps on me, they have more money than anyone else in the family, but they don't like to spend it. I remember one year my mom had their daughter and we bought her some completely awesome toy. They had me and I got the ugliest sweater with sequins all over it that couldn't have cost more than $6-$7 at the discount store. I think my mom & my favorite aunt eventually rigged it so they almost always managed to get each others kids.

Unless they're going to check your receipts, they won't know. Buy stuff on sale and don't worry about it! :grouphug:

It means that the *minimum* is $50 per adult. There will be mental calculations amongst the sil assessing whether the gift-givers actually spent the full $50. Because my dh is ever so much sweeter, nicer, more generous, and less *budget aware* than I am, he will definitely insist that we comply (bless his heart!! ;))

:lol:

Cinder

We have an exchange and each CHILD draws the name of another CHILD. There is no $$ expectation attached to it. IMNSHO, Christmas is for little kids to enjoy the excitement of a new gift. Adults who A) insist they need presents too B) insist that certain price demands be met or C) all of the above, need to grow up and get over themselves already. :glare:

We used to draw names, but... it's just kind of dumb. I mean, no one really needs anything and it got to be a pain. The kids draw names, but each family unit brings something for every other family unit that they made. For example, last year I made bread and jam, one sil made a platter of mini-bundts for each family, another sil made a tin of cookies. I liked that so much better. Fortunately, my family all agrees this is a good thing. Some families.... not so much.

I know someone whose extended family does this.They buy new reusable shopping bags--one for each family. Then as the families arrive, they put one gift in each bag so each family gets the same thing. I think she said they prefer homemade items as well. Last year she and her dd's were crocheting potholders. Love it--such a great idea!

Cinder

If we're going to be at Christmas with DH's family, then the adults do a name draw. We've only joined in once, so I have no idea what it's like on normal years.

The last time we did travel hockey the parents did a mystery gift exchange that involved trading of gifts (aka I can open a new one or take something that someone else already opened). The most hotly traded items were travel mugs. Two of us had brought those (a two pack from target for $10! score!) and there were adult that went home sad they hadn't ended up with the mugs. There were some more "fun" rather than "functional" gifts but it was the useful stuff that everyone wanted.

I'm really sorry your relatives are being so insane. I also think the bit about how getting something on sale doesn't exempt you from the minimum is wacko. So, if you bought something last week you'd be fine with one thing, but if you buy it this weekend during the sales you'll have to supplement?? It doesn't change the basic value of the item. Ugh.

Why don't you give everyone a card that says you donated something to Heifer? You could give an ornament in the shape of the animal.

If they complain, it makes THEM look cheap and Scrooge-like. :001_smile:

Love this idea!!!!!! Have done similar things in the past!