Where is this accent from?

Where is this accent from?  

1. 1. Where is this accent from?

• Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • North Dakota
    • Canada
    • Obligatory Other

My husband works with a surgeon who repeatedly says, "Sorry, sorry." Every day, it's "sorry, sorry." AND, the way he pronounces it rhymes with "lorry" and "Tory." We wonder, where is this guy from? :D

• I say that he's one of the Frozen Chosen from Minnesota or North Dakota. Years ago, I had a friend from North Dakota, and he used to say that if he hit another person's car in North Dakota, that person would get out of the car and start apologizing! :lol:
  • My husband says he's Canadian, but there is this perplexing lack of "eh" and "been/bean" and "about/aboot." ;)

Edited by Sahamamama

My husband works with a surgeon who repeatedly says, "Sorry, sorry." Every day, it's "sorry, sorry." AND, the way he pronounces it rhymes with "lorry" and "Tory." We wonder, where is this guy from? :D

• I say that he's one of the Frozen Chosen from Minnesota or North Dakota. Years ago, I had a friend from North Dakota, and he used to say that if he hit another person's car in North Dakota, that person would get out of the car and start apologizing! :lol:
  • My husband says he's Canadian, but there is this perplexing lack of "eh" and "been/bean" and "about/aboot." ;)

My dh is a cheesehead and says sorry like tory, so I voted WI.

i'm trying to imagine how else you could possibly say it?

it DOES rhyme with lorry/story/dory/tory/etc!

Where are you from? Everyone I know says it saw-ry, except for my family members in England.

canada... and i just sat here trying it out as "saw-ry" and "sar-ry" (like starry) and they sound so weird :laugh:

[i don't know anyone who says it those ways]

I voted Canada. I'm from Ontario and that's how I say it. But it must depend on where in Canada, because my dh, who's from Newfoundland, says "sawry". :) As for been/bean, I will say it both ways, but usually read it "bean". And I say about more like "ow" as in cow, rathar that "oo".

Edited by ariasmommy

I voted Canada. I'm from Ontario and that's how I say it. But it must depend on where in Canada, because my dh, who's from Newfoundland, says "sawry". :)

Well that of course is because he is a Newfie and well, let's be honest Newfie's are a strange bunch.

I vote for Canada, I'm in Alberta and we say sorry the way you mentioned. I don't say aboot either, though I do say been/bean and have been known to say eh.

I would say influenced by Canada, but not necessarily Canadian. A good friend of mine lived about 30 miles from the Canadian border in Washington state and pronounces it this way. She has avoided most of the other stereotypical Canadian pronunciations, but this one stuck!

:iagree: Yes. It does. Sorry/lorry/tory. :D And we say been, which rhmes with tin. A minority say been/bean.

From Canada and voted Canada. Here's a question to ask him: "so, what did you think of the Olympic hockey games?" :lol: If he squirms, he's Canadian. If he beams, he's Canadian. Either response in the company of the US is acceptable. And I bet he'll cap it off with a "sorry". :lol:

Well that of course is because he is a Newfie and well, let's be honest Newfie's are a strange bunch.

I vote for Canada, I'm in Alberta and we say sorry the way you mentioned. I don't say aboot either, though I do say been/bean and have been known to say eh.

ROFL!!!! :lol: One of my best gal pals is from NF and she would agree!

And you know, I've only ever heard my relatives from Michigan say aboot. Never heard aboot in Canada from a Canadian.

Of greater concern to me is the fact that this surgeon is continually apologizing.

Yikes! What's he messing up?

That's exactly what I thought! Did we get an answer to the question yet? Have you considered an Americanised foreign accent? Before I realised this was an American-only question, I thought he could be South African. We like our thank you's and sorry's (and yes, I think a kitten might be dying from the incorrect use of an apostrophe:001_huh:).

Final test for a South African, though - recount a recent disaster that has befallen you, and if he commiserates with a "Shame!" you'll know!

We don't say it that way here. We say 'saw-ree'

ETA: and I'm from Michigan, and never heard "about" pronounced "aboot." "Been" is "ben." "Again" is "ah-gen" or "ay-gen" (depending on your mood) but never "ah/ay-gayn"

Edited by gardening momma

Sounds Canadian to me. We're in Michigan and have plenty of Canadian exposure. 15 years ago, former Detroit Red Wing Kirk Maltby said a very pronounced "sorry" (rhyming with lorry) to me when he was unable to sign an autograph because his pen ran out of ink :001_smile:. Also, Canadians are so dang polite, I could see the "sorry, sorry" thing being something they'd do. No, I'm not stereotyping at all :D.

This is the way I used to say it as a child, but it was the one thing I got teased about in elementary school!! The way I pronounced "sorry" - who would have thought!

My parents were from western NY state - but I don't know if that's how I picked it up.

My DH was born and bred in WI (never left until he was an adult) and he pronounces "sorry" like "starry". Maybe it just depends on the part of WI you're from...

So I voted for the Canadian accent.

I was going to say the same thing. I was from southern Wisconsin and always pronounced it like starry. I can usually pick up if someone is from northern Wisconsin by their speech.

I was going to say the same thing. I was from southern Wisconsin and always pronounced it like starry. I can usually pick up if someone is from northern Wisconsin by their speech.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee (as were both of my parents), and I'm still a "rhymes with lorry girl." It couldn't be that pronounced, however, because my husband didn't notice until I mentioned this thread. As a side note, he grew up in the UP of Michigan, and his sorry rhymes with starry.