• Rod and Staff
    • Abeka
    • Horizons
    • Other (please post)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used and liked Saxon (1-3)...I was able to adapt it to my VERY different dds.

We also used Saxon for 6/5 through 8/7...but not sure if I would ever use them again... mixed results...

For highschool maths I really like the Lial series--beginning with Basic College Math (BCM) for Pre-Algebra. Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are my favs for Algebra 1 and 2. I've had great success with students of very different learning styles with this traditional text. I'm also impressed with the depth of material--definatley college prep (but then again they are college texts!).

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! Looks like you'll have a houseful of girls. :)

We've always used Singapore for grades 1 - 6, and now my 7th graders are using NEM 1. I anticipate they'll move on to NEM 2 next year.

I've occasionally toyed with other curricula: when my oldest two were young they did a little Miquon and I bought a Horizons book last year for my then-4th grader. I ran across that book today, with only 4 or 5 pages worked in it. And I bought RightStart A and Geometry but sold them pretty promptly. Once I look at something else, I'm always reminded why we use Singapore.

We do add in facts drill, most recently with Math Shark which seems to be a big hit. :)

Saxon! I started with it, but somehow got convinced that it wasn't the best. I've tried 2 other programs and now come back to Saxon. I should have stuck with it all along. I know I didn't do my ds any favours by switching around like that. :(

3rd grader uses Singapore

5th grader uses Mastering Mathematics

9th grader uses Math-U-See

10th grader uses Teaching Textbooks

Each is happy with the program that they are using. The 5th grader used Singapore before and the 9th grader used Mastering Mathemetics before and they both liked their previous programs as well. I can't remember what the 10th grader used before Teaching Textbooks.

We use MCP math (The new version) with Singapore Math as a supplement.

We've used MCP for 6 years now, but we only added SM in last year. The kids enjoy the word problems.

I'm kind of sad that this will be the last year for MCP for my oldest. He'll start BCM next year. He's going to miss the MCP format.

For grades K - 6th I used Singapore almost exclusively. There was once when we added R&S math in for one term but I soon dropped it. And we use calculadders and other drill sheets I make up. Sometimes I'll add in Key to series.

For 7th - 9th grade we use Singapore's New Elementary Math Levels 1-3; AND, Key to Algebra; AND Dolciani Algebra 1 and 2 with Trig; Dolciani is my favorite of all of these though.

For 10th - 12th grade we moved on to Foerster's Pre-Calc and plan to use his Calc book after that.

He finished the 8th grade class today, though. So, we're going to play around with Painless Algebra for the rest of this academic year while I figure out where to go from here. (I'm unenthusiastic about moving him directly into the FLVS high school sequence.)

The other day, I was looking at the UCCP Open Access Algebra 1 course, and I'm thinking that might work for him for next year. Once he's got Algebra I under his belt, we'll probably go back to FLVS for Geometry and then figure it out from there.

--Jenny

• 2 weeks later...

I put other because we use a variety and so couldn't put down one. Singapore and MUS have been big for my younger 2, although my 9 yo is finally tired of Mr. Demme, and after the one she's on will move on. She loved his approach for a long time, and that plus SM worked well. My eldest did Saxon 54, 65 & 76. We've tried 4 Algebra programmes. Gelfand's is my favourite, and we're going back to it as soon as she's 13. We're looking into Chalk Dust or VideoText as part of this for days when she's too hormonal to sit and do Gelfand's with me. Plus, for her to get used to hearing a lecture format.

We also have Miquon, which ds has used sometimes, but not regularly. He really needs to talk about math with me, so doing all that on his own doesn't always work for him. If we'd known about it sooner, my 9 yo might have done really well with it.

Hi,

We're using Shiller Math (Kit 1 for ds 5yo & Kit 2 for dd 7yo) and using Accelerated Christian Education's (A.C.E.) Math for ds 10yo. We were using Saxon for my oldest child until recently when I felt we needed a change and he needed something he could do independently (it was hard to find time to teach him and I can't use the DIVE CDs on my old computer).