Menu

Help settle a minor disagreement

Do you know who Oscar Wilde is?  

1. 1. Do you know who Oscar Wilde is?

• Yes
    • No

I have heard of him. I know he wrote The Importance of Being Earnest, but I've never seen it performed or read it, and I have no plans to do so. That's it; I don't know anything else, or want to correct this deficiency.

Hmmm. I looked him up on Wikipedia. His hairstyle must be in style again today, because I've seen plenty of kids who have it during the last few years.

Edited by RoughCollie

(Please wait for poll.)

After you answer the poll, I'd also be interested into what details you know about him.

He also wrote The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Since I was young I've known: that he was in trouble with the law, for "crimes against nature." He had some connection with the Marqui De Sade or the Marquis of Queensbury's son, or both. He lived around that time of the little ice age when Mary Shelley, Lord Byron, and a few others I can't remember off hand were churning out morbid and original works.

This is all that came to my sluggish brain this morning, without looking him up.

A funny: for years, I would mix up Oscar Wilde & Oliver Wendell Holmes. I have no idea why!

The Importance of Being Ernest is a wonderful play. And, as others mentioned, he was arrested and charged with whatever the phrase at the time was for homosexuality. An intriguing character. :)

Well I know he was considered Anglo-Irish. He was born in the 19th century and maybe died in the 20th. He died fairly young. He wrote the play The Importance of Being Earnest, which I have seen, and the short novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray. He was a very strange person. I do know he was arrested for something like perversion.

(Please wait for poll.)

After you answer the poll, I'd also be interested into what details you know about him.

British writer (Irish?) Wrote the Importance of Being Earnest and Picture of Dorian Grey. Went to prison for something involving male prostitutes (I think .... Some kind of "indecency" charge). Died exiled and in poverty.

That's what I know about him.

Thanks for all of the responses, even though you proved me wrong. :tongue_smilie:

(DH and I were arguing over the percentage of readers who would understand a reference to Oscar Wilde. I appear to have underestimated the reading public.)

Well, this is the Hive. I would expect (hope) us to be rather more literate than an average cross-section of readers. :)

I know who he is because of A Picture of Dorian Gray and Our Town. I also know that he was Irish, lived during the late 1800s, was likely gay, served time in prison, and died of meningitis. However, I didn't always know that - my dc did an author bio on him.

Our Town was written by Thornton Wilder. I've gotten them mixed up before too. :001_smile:

He was an author and playwright; The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest are his best known works. He was flamboyant and heavily involved in the aesthetic movement, but he also boxed. He was married and had two sons, but was imprisoned for 2 years or so due to his homosexual activities. He died young and the reasons for his death were under contention.

eta: After looking over the thread, I have to agree with LibraryLover, that this board (and the self-selected people who answered) are not necessarily a cross-section of the reading public.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Have not read thread and nervous about looking like a complete fool, but . . .

Isn't he the late 19th c playwright [sp?] who wrote The Importance of Being Earnest, and struggled with life b/c he was gay? Maybe even committed suicide.

I'm pretty sure that's who he was. Can't remember the plot of the play, but do remember enjoying it immensely. :tongue_smilie:

(Without looking at previous posts)

He was an author--don't know exact dates, but I'm thinking early 1900's? He wrote The Importance of Being Earnest, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and more. His lifestyle lived up to his (Wilde) name, and I believe he was prosecuted for being gay and I'm thinking he was even in jail for a while? Now I'm going to have to go look that up!

Oh--he was British (or Irish or Scottish--not exactly sure which).

Ds16 and I were just (in the last few weeks) reading about him on Wikipedia because ds was remembering how he read The Picture of Dorian Gray years before and it scared the heck out of him. Oops, that was a big mom slip-up. It was a Junior Illustrated Classics when he was 9 or 10, and I didn't realize a Jr book would still be so creepy.

He was rather flamboyant all his life, wore his hair long, etc. at a time when others didn't. He alluded to Greek love (homosexual love) in his writings. He was initially involved with women (and married), but became involved in a homosexual relationship later on. He was destitute when he died..... I'm not sure what you're looking for here....