Menu

Do you let your children have the day off of school for their birthday?

LOL - same here. Oldest ds is 4th of July, second ds was Labor Day, oldest dd is Thanksgiving, and youngest dd is around Easter. We keep saying Baby #5 will be born on Leap Day, not a holiday, but a weird day. What I have done since they would most likely have that day off anyway, is I made them a coupon for a free day off. They do have to give it to me in advance though for scheduling purposes. This way they still get a free day.:)

Yes, always. It's one of our unspoken homeschool rules - No one does school on any family member's birthday.

Same here, and it includes work as well as school. My dd's birthday was Wed, and ds had to be at the high school for finals. For fun, we figured out that in all our yrs of marriage and then kids, we have been able to celebrate this way on 62 of 66 birthdays.

This has always been very important to dh, as when he was growing up, they were too poor for birthdays. So we do them big here.

Usually the entire family takes the day off for the person's bday, but this year I had to revise it. This week we had two birthdays. If we all took off those days, there wouldn't be much work done, so I changed the rule to only the birthday person gets the day off. I didn't have any problem with carrying this out. We will see how it goes when everyone gets older. :)

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I am surprised that so many do.

Generally, we only observe birthdays on weekends when dh is home and other family members are available.

My kids would just sit around doing nothing anyway, so I don't give them the day. Besides, if we want to be able to travel, which we do a fair bit of, then we need to work while we're home.

There's no fuss here, it's not a big deal.

~Lisa

Mine are all on holidays or very close to them, so we're off. Dh takes off, too.

2 Dd's are born in October. One is on Dh's brother's birthday. One is on my sister's boy's birthday.

1 dd is the usually day before or after Thanksgiving.

1 dd is New Year's day.

Since the 2 are truly on holidays. It would be unfair for the other two if we didn't do the same for them.

We usually do them up big. Last year dd #1 had 30 kiddos there. :eek: We cut back! The year we went concierge during Christmas to Disneyland we had them each invite 1 friend to a movie or sleepover for their birthday. We explained that Disneyland was a lot of their birthday and Christmas combined! I'm not a big fan of "this is for your birthday and Christmas," but have you seen the prices for Concierge over Christmas?!

AND the birthday child gets to pick the meals for the day.

Which can be interesting.

SWB

This is what we do, too.

Imagine my surprise last year when my oldest (turned 8) requested pancakes for breakfast, Chuck E Cheese for lunch, and STEAK for dinner. I don't even get steak for dinner on my birthday :eek:.

This is what we do, too.

Imagine my surprise last year when my oldest (turned 8) requested pancakes for breakfast, Chuck E Cheese for lunch, and STEAK for dinner. I don't even get steak for dinner on my birthday :eek:.

My son handed me a note and said, "Mom you're going to have a busy day." The note said, "For breakfast I want breakfast tacos, lunch out to eat at Logan's and for dinner your Chinese ginger chicken." Kids are so funny!

Any birthday in our immediate family means no school for the day. There are only 5 of us, so that is 5 days off. It's but a mere drop in the bucket and make birthdays really special as they are a pure JOY day. The reason we all take off and not just the birthday child is that we go out and do fun things which would be difficult to do if some of us were working. Then the birthday child would be left with nothing to do on their special day. :)

AND the birthday child gets to pick the meals for the day.

Which can be interesting.

SWB

Same here; no school, birthday child gets to decide on all meals, and what we do for the day. We've had some great field trips as a result.

And if the birthday falls on a weekend then Monday is OFF.