Menu

S/O book thread: What book did you hate that most others loved?

How could I forget Eat, Pray, Love??? I like the Eat part, couldn't make it past the Pray part, and so never got to the Love part. So boring!!

I read the first couple of Harry Potter books a few years ago, and I didn't get all the hype. But Anna and I are going to read them together this winter, so we will see if I like it more. She loves fantasy, so I am pretty sure she will LOVE them!

As far as children's books, I think the worst book ever written for babies/toddlers is The Rainbow Fish. I HATE THAT BOOK! Yes, I am screaming. It is just yucky.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red tent

Wicked--I kept hoping it would get better but gave up in the middle.

The Giving Tree

Girl with a Pearl Earring

As for Jane Austen, love the movies, but the books are too long/descriptive.

Well, I liked The Red Tent quite a bit, enjoyed Girl with a Pearl Earring, and haven't read Wicked, but I am right there with the :iagree: sign about The Giving Tree.

I have thrown this book away multiple times. Relatives keep buying new copies for different kids. :tongue_smilie:

When I saw this title, the very first book that popped into my mind was The Thornbirds. A LONG time ago (:D ) when it was popular, absolutely everyone thought it was so terrific. I worked in a public library and we couldn't keep the book on the shelves - it went out as fast as it was returned. The reserve list stayed filled for months on end. Some people were staying up most of the night to finish it and returning it within a couple days with such glowing reports. They were stunned that I, the librarian, had not read it.:eek: So I finally *inserted* my name before someone else's (:ohmy: ) and signed it out on a Saturday, figuring if it was THAT good, I would have it done by Sunday and call the next person on the reserve list on Monday morning. It. was. awful. I barely made it to page fifty. The patrons were astounded - flabbergasted - nay --- horrified!!! - that the librarian hadn't finished nor cared for the book! I came to almost dread every time someone returned it because most asked directly if I had read it and if I had liked it. Then word got around (it was a very small town) . . . I tried to sidestep the topic and slither out of answering but it usually didn't work . . .

I absolutely deplored The Great Gatsby and burned our beaten up old copy in the woodstove when I finished it - much to dhs' delight - he also hated the book.

I've read Wuthering Heights three times - once in high school and once about ten years later - and enjoyed it. I re-read it last year and did. not. like. it. at. all. I'll not be reading it ever again.

There are other books I haven't liked, but these are the ones that quickly came to mind . . .

A Passage to India

Woah! Why do you dislike this book?

Lolita by Nabokov. I read this in college. It infuriates me to this DAY that this despicable novel ranks #4 in The Modern Library's top 100 novels of the 20th century. You've GOT to be kidding me!!!! :rant: It has go to be the ONLY book that I've thrown away instead of given away when I was done reading it. I even convinced a teenage girl at Barnes and Noble NOT to read this book for her AP English class. UGH! :ack2: (I NEVER do this sort of thing.)

I would be extremely happy if this is one of those books that, in 100 year's time, is out of print, unacknowledged, unappreciated, lost to the world. :leaving:

OH, and I hated Catcher in the Rye.

Now you have...If I had the chance to punch Holden in the face, I would have...I loathed that book and all arguments trying to convince me it was worth anything at all...:)

Here is the thing with Lolita and Catcher in the Rye. You aren't supposed to like them.

About Lolita: I don't know anyone, ever, who has said "you know, he's not that bad other than liking young girls." He is *supposed* to be detestable. But, he's only detestable to *us*, other people odn't see through his charade. Bad guys don't always *look* or *sound* like bad guys. They don't always believe that they are bad guys. That's why this book is so important.

About Catcher in the Rye: It took me many years to come to terms with this book. I think the saving grace of the book is this: Holden is telling the story. Even the worst, most stupid, most rebellious teenager can come through that period and join society as a fully-functional human being. He wouldn't be able to tell the story if he had not joined society and was not a fully-functional human being when the story is told.

Jane Austen books- don't like victorian style of writing

Jane Austen writes nothing like the Victorians. She was writing in the Ewardian period. The manners, the social norms are quite different. Dracula, Frankenstein, A Christmas Carol, Sherlock Holmes, She, those are all Victorian novels and they are quite different from Austen. Hate Austen if you must, but don't give her the wrong label.

Brave New World. I really did not like this book.

This is my favorite book.

I absolutely deplored The Great Gatsby and burned our beaten up old copy in the woodstove when I finished it - much to dhs' delight - he also hated the book.

The saving grace for Gatsby in my mind? Pretty much everyone gets what they deserve at the end. I love that, I can't help but love it.

Well, I wouldn't use the word 'hate', 'dislike' is a better word to describe how I feel about "Guernsey Literary ... and Potato Peel Society" I don't think that is the right title but it's close. I did not like that book and I don't really know why. I think it was because there was so much hype about it that it didn't reach my expectations.

I hate hate hate the 2nd book of the vampire diaries series :confused: I enjoyed Twilight, loved Dracula and when I saw this book on the return cart at the library I thought I would give it a try. WOW! THAT is teen fiction? It was sordid and ugly and I would never let my any teenager read that trash! Luckily I have two boys and the likelihood of them wanting to read this is pretty low!

I also can't stand the first Stefanie Plum book in the Janet Evanovich series (although I do enjoy the other books in that series).

Dislike intensely the Time Travelers wife. Felt like I had wasted 4 hours of my time and I would never ever get that time back :glare:

Diane

Eat, Pray, Love

Most readers I know recommended it to me. "It's soooooo good!" I made it through the Eat section then I gave it back to the person who'd loaned it to me. (And I always finish books I've started!)

I couldn't stand the me-me-me whining and self-centered "soul-searching". I really wanted to reach into the book, give her a good smack and tell her to get over herself.

OH, THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only person in the world who hated that book. You know, I liked her writing style, but could not get past the wake of devastated lives she left behind her (including her own) on her search for her own happiness.

The first book I EVER hated was The Wind in the Willows. I get nauseous now - 35 years later - just thinking about it.

I tried the Harry Potter series, but couldn't get through the first one. I am an avowed Tolkein and Lewis fan, but I just thought HP was boring. Maybe that's because I was expecting Tolkein or Lewis. Anyway, I've been told that the books get better, so I did just listen to the 1st one on CD with my boys ~ and I didn't hate it.

Frankenstein

I WILL NOT read anything that's a known depressant (so no Jodi Piccoult) or contains harm coming to children (no Shack, no Lovely Bones, no Jodi Piccoult). If I don't like the way a book's headed, I'll read the last chapter. If I don't like the way it ends, I don't finish it. There's not enough time in life to read a bad book.

Did I mention no Jodi Piccoult?

Edited by tenoraddict

The Hobbit - I thought this would be a good way to ease into LoTR, which I've never read. It went on...and on....and on.... and I kept waiting to love it, but I just never could give a flip about any of the characters or their quest, whatever it was. I've forgotten now. I read a few hundred pages and then just gave up. Still haven't tried LoTR & not sure I ever will.

The Horse and His Boy - This is where we stalled out with the Narnia books. We'd enjoyed the first few, and then found this one absolutely coma-inducing. It's my nephew's very favorite book in the series, though. His eyes light up with absolute joy every time it's mentioned. I'm like, seriously?

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma. I kept reading all these posts here about how this book transformed people's approach to teaching math, made them understand math for the first time, made math their kids' favorite subject, etc. etc. It just made me feel even more stupid than I'd felt before I picked it up, which is saying a lot. I still don't like math, understand math, or want to teach math. What transformed MY approach to teaching math is the DIVE CD, thankyouverymuch. :D

SBP

I hear you on The Hobbit. I forced myself through at least the first half of it before it grabbed me and didn't let go until I had finished The Return of the King. You don't have to read The Hobbit to understand and adore TLOTR. So maybe you'll try again??? And The Horse and His Boy...I love EVERYthing Lewis wrote, except this book. It's encouraging, though: even the Greats have a lemon now and then. ;) As for the math book ~ you're a better mom than I for even having attempted it. I think what will transform my approach to teaching math is having my kids graduate or go back to traditional school.

Well, I liked The Red Tent quite a bit, enjoyed Girl with a Pearl Earring, and haven't read Wicked, but I am right there with the :iagree: sign about The Giving Tree.

I have thrown this book away multiple times. Relatives keep buying new copies for different kids. :tongue_smilie:

Me, too! I thought I was the only one who hated it. Could it possibly be more dysfunctional? I could see its codependency/selfishness even as a wee lass.

Oh, and for kids' books--Ginger Pye. Most boring family read aloud we've ever done. I have no idea why that book got a Newbery Medal. It must have been a bad year for children's books.

Argh--yes! I nearly poked my eyes out with this one. And I didn't even read it--we listened to it on audiobook. Blech!

Cinder

As far as children's books, I think the worst book ever written for babies/toddlers is The Rainbow Fish. I HATE THAT BOOK! Yes, I am screaming. It is just yucky.

Oh, gracious. I'd forgotten how much I loathe Rainbow Fish. That awful book nearly got me kicked out of preschool story time at the library because I utterly failed to conceal my horror at poor little fishie having to give away what makes him special in order not to be shunned. I managed to sit through the story, but the children's librarian always looked at me funny after that.

I love Ginger Pye, though!

About Catcher in the Rye: It took me many years to come to terms with this book. I think the saving grace of the book is this: Holden is telling the story. Even the worst, most stupid, most rebellious teenager can come through that period and join society as a fully-functional human being. He wouldn't be able to tell the story if he had not joined society and was not a fully-functional human being when the story is told.

I hear you on this, and I can appreciate a book even if I hate the characters, or the author's perspective...for example, Richard North Patterson writes excellent stories...I loathe his political perspective, but doggone it, the guy can write, and I miss sleep whenever I pick up one of his books.

But I cannot stand the raving about Catcher in the Rye...I don't think it deserves the following, and I personally detested the writing style, the plot, the grim backdrop, the ridiculous profanity, EVERYTHING about it, and I was forced to read it, like so many...JMHO.

I love this thread...I'm racking my brains for more submittals...

Any vampire, pants, big thumb, woman finding herself, feel good yuck yuck books and books where all the women are superior and the men are dumb asses.

LOL THIS!! I totally agree.

So many hated Outlander but I will stand as a dissenter. I Love Outlander with the exception of the fifth book which was the most boring book I have ever read.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Brave New World and Catcher in the Rye.

Edited by LaissezFaire

Thank you. I hated that book also! And no, people- I do not want to go see the movie!

Exactly! I don't care if it has Julia Roberts in it. I don't care if the scenery is beautiful. I don't want to see it. The movie is (almost) never as good as the book, so there is no way I'm paying $10 to sit through that mess. :lol:

I hear you on this, and I can appreciate a book even if I hate the characters, or the author's perspective...for example, Richard North Patterson writes excellent stories...I loathe his political perspective, but doggone it, the guy can write, and I miss sleep whenever I pick up one of his books.

But I cannot stand the raving about Catcher in the Rye...I don't think it deserves the following, and I personally detested the writing style, the plot, the grim backdrop, the ridiculous profanity, EVERYTHING about it, and I was forced to read it, like so many...JMHO.

I love this thread...I'm racking my brains for more submittals...

Well, I wasn't forced to read it. Maybe that makes a difference? ;)I understand what you're saying, I'm not a lover of Catcher in the Rye, I don't go around recommending it to people. In fact, I've been known to call people a phony when they tell me it's their favorite book, lol (sorry, I find that joke endlessly amusing). I just see the redeeming factor in it, where I *don't* see any redeeming value in other books. Does that make sense?

Can't remember that one, but when you mentioned children's books it reminded me of Love You Forever. The part where the mom climbs in his window to comfort the son gives me the heebie-jeebies. (I hope I'm remembering this correctly--it's been so long ago.)

Cinder

Woah! Why do you dislike this book?

Granted, I read "A Passage to India" back in high school, so it's been a looooooong time, but I found it really boring. Later, I even watched the movie to see if I might like the story better (or even find a story) & no dice... the movie was boring too, imo.

Can't remember that one, but when you mentioned children's books it reminded me of Love You Forever. The part where the mom climbs in his window to comfort the son gives me the heebie-jeebies. (I hope I'm remembering this correctly--it's been so long ago.)

Cinder

I actually love that book you are talking about, but I know some moms don't like it for exactly the reason you listed.

The Shack.

I truly, truly despised it.

:iagree: I also HATED Are You There God? It's Me, Margret which was required reading for all 6th grade girls in my ps. I also really didn't care for Lord of the Flies -- aslo required reading...

Edited by LoisLane

:DThis is funny--I love almost all the "real" books listed here (ie. not Jodi Piccoult, Danielle Steele, Dan Brown, etc.), and the only one I really agree with wholeheartedly panning is the Giving Tree. That one made me ill when I was 6, and it's not improved with age... :glare:

The thing for me is that even books I don't like I can see the point in. The major exception to this rule being Catch-22--never could see what the point of that one was...

I have been ROFLOL!!!

I too hate the Rainbow Fish, and the Giving Tree (I really like a lot of Shel's poetry but not that one!), but I cry every time I try to read Love You Forever outloud to my kids. They think I'm nuts! :)

I really tried to read Tolken, but BLECH, and this is from someone who thinks that most great books have to have at LEAST 400 pages...or what's the point?

Edited by LoisLane

Cinder

I agree, I think that book is kind of creepy.

Granted, I read "A Passage to India" back in high school, so it's been a looooooong time, but I found it really boring. Later, I even watched the movie to see if I might like the story better (or even find a story) & no dice... the movie was boring too, imo.

I don't think any book you haven't read since high school should count (insert smiley you find appropriate for fun banter, not snarkiness)! There were lots of books I didn't like in high school, but have since come to love and the reverse is also true.

The thing for me is that even books I don't like I can see the point in. The major exception to this rule being Catch-22--never could see what the point of that one was...

I don't know...I've spent too much of my life associated with the military. I have to agree with some of the book's stances and heartily reject other stances. And then, it's written in such an illogical (to me) manner, that it's hard for me to decide where the book is being serious or ironic. It's a tough book. I do think it has *some* fair points.

There is an interesting symposium on The Giving Tree here.

I actually like the book, I will admit it is somber. I liken the tree to Christ and the boy to us. Christ gives us so much and yet we never seem to be satisfied. Probably not the authors intent but it's the only thing I can really get from the story aside from a selfish boy and an overly submissive tree.

I'll freely admit that there have been many books so overhyped that I refuse to pick them up, like the Twilight books and Harry Potter. Actually, I've picked both of them up and skimmed but didn't find them interesting enough to spend my time on.

I couldn't get through The Lovely Bones. Shudder. Had to get rid of it. I also tried to read a couple of Debbie Macomber books (because they had to do with knitting) and wondered why I was wasting my time on such crap. I just don't like most modern books that are bestsellers/popular.

Have never liked John Steinbeck, HATED Moby Dick, I don't think I made it past the first couple of chapters. I had high hopes for Last of the Mohicans, especially after Daniel Day Lewis, but that was another sleeper. Oh, Call of the Wild. Didn't like that either, but may have to give it another chance--I went to college in Jack London country, but had been so tainted by high school, I just couldn't bring myself to try again then.

I too am another who liked Outlander, one of my favorites, but do agree the fifth book was difficult. And I'll even admit that I'm enjoying Love, Pray, Eat. Yes, the Pray part was rather slow going, but Love was right on as far as Italy went and I remember.

ETA: Absolutely REFUSE to read or watch anything that has to do with Twilight.

I'm not a fan of Terry Goodkind OR Robert Jordan. I realize this is practically blasphemy among fantasy fans, but REALLY.

If I wanted to read a list of cliches I'd type "cliche" into google.

The Da Vinci code was lame. I was told "it really makes you think" and when I had the poor manners to ask what it made them think about, they didn't give me a proper answer.

No Stephen King for me either. And I don't get what the big hoo ha about the 'Girl with the Pearl Earring' was either. It was pretty ordinary, I thought. And I thought Angela's Ashes was dull. I should have known better than to read anything my mother recommended. We have never liked the same books!

The Great Gatsby? Argh! How did my high school teachers ever think making us read mind-numbing stuff like that would inspire us to read? Maybe you have to be American to appreciate John Steinbeck's work too. A Tale of Two Cities was horrible. My MIL said I didn't like it because I'm not sentimental, which came as a relief because that won't change so I won't have to read it again.

If one of Charles Dicken's works can't be made into a movie, preferably a musical, I don't think I want to know about it. I also think the BBC does Jane Austen better than Jane herself did. She needed a good editor. Lord of the Rings is better in movie form too. Maybe it would be good as an audio book, but not to read myself. Huck Finn is only good on audio too.

I read a short story by Virginia Woolfe once too. I think I'd prefer to read Dr Seuss for the next five years than read her again. Writers should know about punctuation. Even bad punctuation is better than no punctuation.

I didn't like Lord of the Flies and told my English teacher so. She snarkily told me I was too young to read it (so why was it assigned?) So I told her I'd read Les Miserables and enjoyed it, and she looked impressed. So ner. :tongue_smilie:If she'd been cleverer she'd have said I wasn't supposed to like it. I could recognise it as important literature, but that didn't mean I found it enjoyable. I guess it's not her fault, I didn't look particularly intelligent in my school uniform. I didn't wear glasses back then :tongue_smilie:

The Magic Pudding didn't do it for me. Maybe I should have read it when I was younger. I loved Enid Blyton's books when I was a kid, but to read them now would be nauseating. Wind in the Willows was too dull to finish, but Dh liked it. And I'm with you about Rainbow Fish, Nakia.

And let's not get me started on St Augustine's 'Confessions' :svengo: Or Margery Kempe, for that matter. She needed good drugs for what sounded like a nasty bout of Post Partum Psychosis. Just reading the first description was bordering on terrifying.

Ok, that was fun :D

Rosie

I, too, hated The DaVinci Code. A friend lent me her copy which I lent to another friend whose dog chewed it up. When I told my 1st friend that the 2nd friend offered to pay for a replacement copy, the 1st friend said not to bother, she just felt sorry for the dog!

HATED Moby Dick, I don't think I made it past the first couple of chapters.

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books!

Oh, Call of the Wild. Didn't like that either, but may have to give it another chance--I went to college in Jack London country, but had been so tainted by high school, I just couldn't bring myself to try again then.

Liked Call of the Wild too.

If one of Charles Dicken's works can't be made into a movie, preferably a musical, I don't think I want to know about it. I also think the BBC does Jane Austen better than Jane herself did. She needed a good editor. Lord of the Rings is better in movie form too. Maybe it would be good as an audio book, but not to read myself. Huck Finn is only good on audio too.

Love Dickens, Austen and Lord of the Rings. Liked Huck Finn too. Perhaps I read a loud in my head?

So I told her I'd read Les Miserables and enjoyed it, and she looked impressed. So ner. :tongue_smilie:If she'd been cleverer she'd have said I wasn't supposed to like it. I could recognise it as important literature, but that didn't mean I found it enjoyable. I guess it's not her fault, I didn't look particularly intelligent in my school uniform. I didn't wear glasses back then :tongue_smilie:

Les Miserables is one of my favorite books too!

The Magic Pudding didn't do it for me. Maybe I should have read it when I was younger. I loved Enid Blyton's books when I was a kid, but to read them now would be nauseating. Wind in the Willows was too dull to finish, but Dh liked it.

I'm with you on The Magic Pudding and Wind in the Willows. I didn't like either of them.

I'm with you on The Magic Pudding and Wind in the Willows. I didn't like either of them.
These are two of our all-time family read aloud faves. :D

I didn't like Lord of the Flies and told my English teacher so. She snarkily told me I was too young to read it (so why was it assigned?) So I told her I'd read Les Miserables and enjoyed it, and she looked impressed. So ner. :tongue_smilie:If she'd been cleverer she'd have said I wasn't supposed to like it. I could recognise it as important literature, but that didn't mean I found it enjoyable.

Rosie

I've taken pride in having gotten through high school not having read Lord of the Flies. ewww.

Love, Love, LOVE Les Miserables, unabridged too.:D that's one I've been meaning to read again soon.

Little House in the Big Woods...there's no plot so what's the point.

:iagree: That's how my youngest feels about those books.

My two oldest children loved those books. I think they just liked knowing what kinds of things the characters did in their daily lives.

But my youngest dd had no interest in the Little House books. She needs there to be some kind of plot with some mystery or action or something else more intellectually stimulating than the Little House books have to offer.

Yes, I had forgotten about that one! This is exactly why I haven't finished the Narnia series. I enjoyed the first two books, but could not get through this one.

Another children's book that we couldn't finish, but most people really like, was Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. None of us could get into it.

I really didn't care for the entire Chronicles of Narnia series. I also found the Lord of the Ring series to boring.

The Amber Spyglass. The Golden Compass was ok -- just so long as no one thinks it's a children's book. The second one in the series was obviously just there to make it a trilogy. But the last one I never got through.

Me too and I really wanted to like it but I didn't finish the last book. There is still a book mark about halfway through. I left it there thinking maybe some day I would feel compelled to go back and finish it but it hasn't happened yet.

Cinder

I don't get why people on this board detest this book. Every single time I read it I have to cry. I just so get it (and I wasn't even loved that way, but that is exactly how I love my kids). My oldest is 19 and while I am not hovering over her, then the urge to keep her all hugged up is there.....

THere are books that I read with book clubs that I didn't like at all- The Time Traveler's Wife, THe Thirteenth Tale, some Jodi Picoult book, etc.

I like many of the books others hate- Jane Austen, THe Great Gatsby, THe Grapes of Wrath, Stephen King.

I really stay away from whole genres I don't like- sappy, sad stories a la Picoult or Sparks; or most of the stories told from the point of a deranged madman or about some deranged madman (Lovely Bones, etc). I also don't read vampire books.

So I will choose a book that I recently read and really didn't like- Postmodern Times by Gene Veith. It isn't a novel but rather a worldviews/philosophy book. And that is my other confession= I really don't like philosophy. I like it less now than I did when I was younger. My oldest is majoring in philosophy and sometimes reading his papers hasn't made me any fonder.

I don't think any book you haven't read since high school should count (insert smiley you find appropriate for fun banter, not snarkiness)! There were lots of books I didn't like in high school, but have since come to love and the reverse is also true.

:D

Well, it is the only book from high school times that I remember really, really disliking (even if it was ages ago). I guess it will probably remain on my dislike list forever because I certainly don't have it on my 'to read' list just to see if I like it any better now that I'm older & wiser. ;) (I'd rather try books I haven't read yet, some of which may turn out to be boring, rather than re-reading old books that I already know are boring.) :tongue_smilie: