Menu

S/O book thread: What book did you hate that most others loved?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hated Alice in Wonderland--especially the movies. The book is easier to handle than those horrible movies. (And the book is insane.)

The Handmaid's Tale--or anything by Margaret Atwood. I've tried a couple of her stories, and I feel like my soul is gasping for air after reading her stuff.

Water for Elephants. Came across as smutty to me.

Eat, Pray, Love

Most readers I know recommended it to me. "It's soooooo good!" I made it through the Eat section then I gave it back to the person who'd loaned it to me. (And I always finish books I've started!)

I couldn't stand the me-me-me whining and self-centered "soul-searching". I really wanted to reach into the book, give her a good smack and tell her to get over herself.

I also agree with the Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult and so forth. Not my cuppa.

Cat

Ditto...

The Kite Runner - I felt obligated to read it because everyone went on about it. I was nauseous while reading it and depressed for over a week afterwards. Too bad, too, because I thought his writing style was lovely.

I haven't read that one because I have been concerned about having that reaction. :lol:

I get too emotionally involved. :blushing: