Menu

At what age would you consider letting your dc ride on the back of a motorcycle?

Let me say that we are a family full of bikers. My dad has always ridden, but I can't remember at what age I started riding with him. Dh took dd on her first official ride today (meaning not just putting around the yard). They actually went on the highway, and although of course I trust my dh, I was a nervous wreck! Thankfully everyone returned safe and sound, but I am not looking forward to this summer, when I'm sure she will be riding with him a lot. Just curious at what age/maturity level you think a child would be ready for this.

Let me say that we are a family full of bikers. My dad has always ridden, but I can't remember at what age I started riding with him. Dh took dd on her first official ride today (meaning not just putting around the yard). They actually went on the highway, and although of course I trust my dh, I was a nervous wreck! Thankfully everyone returned safe and sound, but I am not looking forward to this summer, when I'm sure she will be riding with him a lot. Just curious at what age/maturity level you think a child would be ready for this.

When they are paying their own medical insurance.

Ok, I'll be the first poster who is less, um, resolute.

I grew up with an RN mom and heard "motorcycle" horror stories and adopted her fear (reasonable or not).

And, then, at middle age, I married a man who rides. We have his son's bike (he's serving in Iraq). I've ridden. My kids (ages in my sig line) ride sometimes. Of course they love it.

My DH does not use a helmet; the rest of us do.

I think posting that question here is going to get you a "bad mom" response, honestly. People who don't ride will say "never. Over my dead body," ECT.

We ride. Dh has never taken dd on the highway, but they did longer country rides starting at about 10. I don't know when I'd be ok with highway rides. He does neighborhood rides with our 5yo. Ooh, bad mom! ;-)

Before that, I'd be concerned they wouldn't understand instructions to lean properly during a turn or they would clutch the driver's arms or something unsafe like that. I do think they should learn how to do it safely, just because at some point they probably will ride behind someone else out of necessity. Better to learn how from a mature, safe rider in an instructional setting than spur of the moment from some other teen or young adult that doesn't know how to teach them to do it properly.

well....I hate to say it depends on the kid, but I do think it depends on the kid, on the length of the ride and what kind of roads the ride will be on. DH and I disagree on this, our compromise has been: under 30 miles, familiar lower traffic roads and on sunny mornings. As you may of guessed I'm the one who is no fun, oh well. Luckily dd doesn't request this often and we sidelined biking when she was born. I was stricken w/mommyitis;)

My 17 year old has ridden on the back of dh's motorcycle, but nobody younger than that.

You have to know how to be a passenger on a bike, you have to be able to balance when the bike tilts and such. I just don't think my youngers will really grasp that.

Of course I never get on the thing. He begs. He pleads. I say nope. Not me. I have too many issues for that.

No! I'd never give a bad-mom response for something like this. It freaks me out, but that doesn't make it bad. Just not my thing. I think you've received some sane responses here. Like just about everything, you have to go with what works for you and your family . . . it doesn't have to agree with me to be good.

I am another bad mom, I guess. I don't have a bike now, but love to ride. I was a leather-wearing motorcycle mama who asked men if they rode a bike before I dated them, lol. Never owned a bike, but had my own helmet!

I would be willing to let either of my kids (ages in sig line) ride on the back of a motorcycle with a driver whom I really trusted. I would NOT let them go on the freeway until they had done low speed riding on country roads for awhile; and the driver and I had conferred and we both agreed that the kids were ready. Helmets would be required; leathers, etc. would be encouraged. I do think it is fine for older kids to ride, as long as they are riding with a safe person, but I wouldn't have let my kids ride any younger than they are now, I don't think.

How old is your dd, out of curiosity?

You have to know how to be a passenger on a bike, you have to be able to balance when the bike tilts and such. I just don't think my youngers will really grasp that.

Yup. These are the important things. You have to have the coordination necessary for this. I know there are littles who do ride, but not mine. But mine are bigs now, and could handle it.

Our 13yo dd rides w/ dh -- she has boots, helmet and jacket, as does he. She's been riding with him since she was 10. However, dh doesn't feel our 11yo dd is ready, she's rather small for her age and on the timid side. As someone said previously -- a lot depends on the biker and the kid (and the mom!). :)

My Dad HATED motorcycles, so when one of my dates showed up w/ his motorcycle to take me on our date, my dad quickly was the one to answer the door. "Howdy son, You comin here to take my daughter out?" , the young man answered, "yes sir". My dad, "then go home and get something w/ 4 WHEELS!!! and the young man came back w/ his car! :auto:HAHaHaHa we still laugh at this!:lol:

kim

Dh rides (a Harley, he is so proud of his Harley) but he doesn't usually take the kids. He takes them sometimes for a treat, up to the shops, here and there. Not long rides yet. But, he knows I am a bit paranoid about it, so that's partly why.

I love riding with him sometimes, but a part of me is always nervous that here are *both* parents on a bike.

Older riders tend to be safer though.

I am always nervous when dh is out riding. My mind imagines all sorts of things. But, its his life, and riding is not the worst thing he could be doing, so I accept it.

Edited to say I just put a photo of dh on his Harley on my blog.

Dh rides (a Harley, he is so proud of his Harley) but he doesn't usually take the kids.

Not very helpful to the thread, but I have to say it.......

Me loves me a Harley man, yes me does. My fave bike. :001_tt2:

Jealous I am. I haven't been on the back of a Harley in so long. And just for fun- here is a photo of the last time I was on a bike. Notice the ear to ear grin- very unlike me, lol. :cool:

I love riding with him sometimes, but a part of me is always nervous that here are *both* parents on a bike.

I forgot to say that this is why we don't have a bike right now- one of those "someday" things- once the kids are grown- would be to ride the coast highway with my Dude and a motorcycle with a sidecar. Sigh. Heaven. :Angel_anim:

But a someday heaven.

My ds rode behind his dad at age 10 (with a good helmet, and proper instruction). He's light weight (couldn't tip the bike by leaning wrong), and very strong. I expect they'll be riding more this summer.

My dd is almost 12 and I wouldn't let her ride, even if she wanted to. She's just kind of wet-noodle-like in her upper body. She'd probably stop holding on, and just fall off. Or, she'd be petrified. She's still scared of her bicycle.

My DH has a motorcycle. I'm scared to death of that thing, lol. Irrational I know, but I can't help it. I've ridden on the back a few times, before we moved here (I refuse to ride on it here because of how crazy they drive).

My oldest is 10 and none of them have ever ridden on it. At all. Not even around the block. Maybe someday I'll let them, but not right now (especially not here).

dh doesn't have a bike, but my best friend (a male cousin) does and I rode with him for years (we were roomates when we were younger) and still do sometimes - I love it! :)

My 11 year old was given small rides in a parking lot up until she was big enough to reach the pegs (small for her age but anxious to 'get a ride!' so this was our comprimise) and have her feet firmly planted, holding on properly, etc, then she was allowed to have rides around town....she hasn't yet been on the highway with him, but this summer when he comes home, I'll likely let her - she's grown up around him and his bikes and has learned to be a safe passenger...I trust his riding completely - he's been riding since he was a young boy and he's 39. :)

The best answer though, imo, is really "it depends" -- because it's going to depend on the size & physical ability of the child, whether or not they understand 'the rules' and can follow them, whether or not they're nervous (and therefore likely to forget something or freak out) etc etc, along with the ability of the rider - are they very experienced with passengers? do you trust them with your child? are THEY comfortable with a child passenger? .....but it also depends on the bike --- a kid traveling with dad on the goldwing is a bit diff than the same kid on the back of a sport bike, know what I mean? ;)

I came back to say that g'pa is getting dd(soon to be 8) her own helmet and possibly some leathers to go riding with. I never questioned this, he's always threatening to get the kids some type of motorized bike, which I'm much more afraid of than them riding with him. Both of my parents have owned Harleys, my mom had to sell hers due to unrelated back injuries. My dad always jokes that my mom saved him from joining Hells Angels. Lol!

If my kids ever ride on a motorcycle, I just don't want to know about it.

It does look like so much fun! But I'm a worrier, and I am going to bury my head in the sand over this one. If I had to give an age, I'd say 18. Mine wouldn't be riding with a relative or an older friend, they be riding with another teen--so no way for that. If it were with someone with tons of experience, and if my sons knew how to lean, or whatever, then maybe 18. Maybe. Just don't TALK ABOUT IT!!!

My parents always rode. I remember being young and riding on the gas tank. I think I would feel safer if there were a bi#*% bar. I don't know what they are actually called. I would say 10 for shorter rides but I see kids a round 7 or 8 on the back. If your kid is a sleeper like I was, be careful of the longer rides. Apparently I would fall asleep on the back.

That being said grandma still rides and I don't let the kids ride with her.

We are a biker family also. I was riding off road before I knew how to drive a car. I taught dh how to ride, and he purchased his first bike while we were dating.

I think my daughter was 6 when we began taking her out. We purchased a real DOT-approved helmet in her size. We take her on in town roads or state routes where the speed is 45 mph or less. There is no highway riding, I'm not ready for that yet. I have promised her a dirt bike when she is ready (probably around 12). DS1 rode around the yard last year and this year dh putted down to the end of our ruad and back with him. DS2 is about old enough to ride around the yard this year.

I have jokingly mentioned to dh that when we get our second bike we should include a sidecar, but the truth is I think I would be more comfortable with my kids on the bike holding on to me than beside me so close to the road...

After the accidents I have seen, NEVER. Most of these accidents were not the fault of the motorcyclist, but of the driver of a car or truck. Once I saw one man fly past my window and didn't make it, another had a leg broken in several places (and it was grossly obvious to me in my car.) On our cul de sac, a young man was riding when he lost control of the bike. He fell off and nearly knocked himself out. Meanwhile, his bike slid under our car and punctured the gas tank. Good thing my dad was not having a smoke break at the time or there could have been a large KaBoom!

I'd want to know that the child was strong enough to hold on tightly and also had a sense of how to lean around corners.

My girls have not been on a motorbike yet, but my father still rides and my sisters and I started riding 50cc motorbikes when we were tall enough for our feet to reach the gears.

Note that I did not say the ground as in one of my sister's case she used to park the bike next to a step to get on - and she'd call out to anyone around that she was about to stop so that they could catch her when she got off! We rode on a farm.

Never. Over my dead body. The age 110. Because of my critical care nursing experience in the surgical/trauma/neuro ICU at the level 4 Trauma (teaching) hospital in our area where *all* the worst case scenarios were brought, I became convinced (different from fear) that highway motorcycle riding is simply not. worth. the. risk. Seriously. Even with helmets. :-{

Now, that said, dh (a physician who happens to feel the same way that I do for the same reasons cited above) and I LOVE to ride. :-) We enjoy the times when we've been able to borrow a friend's bike and ride briefly in the neighborhood or off road somewhere. But, on the highway, never. Cars, trucks, other drivers, etc, etc, make it a risk we're not willing to take.

FWIW,

Sharon

My DH has a motorcycle. I'm scared to death of that thing, lol. Irrational I know.....

I disagree that "fear" of motorcycle riding is "irrational". Personally and based upon firsthand experience with the potential consequences of highway motorcycle riding (see my response post to the OP), I view any reservations against this particular hobby/sport as healthy respect.

There won't be an age, in my home, that any of my dc will be permitted to drive or ride on the back of a motorcycle. Through numerous deaths and injuries of friends in the past years, my decision has proven to have much evidence to back it. It's hard to see a dear friend with two small children whose husband just died on a motorcycle, through no fault of his own, and think it anything I'd ever allow or encourage my dc to do. I figure they could be perfect drivers, have the perfect driving record, but they are still so very much at the mercy of any nut who might happen to be out that day. It's too much of a gamble.

Teresa

I posted this question last night, figuring I'd have to dig to find it this morning. I didn't expect 4 pages of responses! Frankly, I expected a lot more negative responses than I got.

It's good to know that I'm not the only "bad mommy" out there. Actually, this is one of the few things dh and I disagree on. I say she's not big enough yet, he says she is. Usually dh defers to my opinion (he lets me make most of the decisions where the kids are concerned), but in this case, he overrules me.

For those of you who asked, dd is 6. She is tall enough to reach the foot pegs, and really, she is so light it wouldn't make any difference if she leaned the wrong way anyway. But it's true, you can't help but lean the right way. She has a DOT-approved helmet, boots, and leather. No riding in shorts or without the leather, no matter how hot it is. I do wish we had a backrest though.

Thanks for all the great responses, from all points of view!

I just got some pictures from my dd(14) who is doing 7th grade in Switzerland. She spent the weekend with her godfather in Germany and one of the pictures is her behind him on a motorcycle! Oh well.

I guess the year abroad really is widening her horizons.:001_smile:

Frankly, I'll lose more sleep over an unaccompanied young girl taking a train from one end of the country to the other than I will over this.

I disagree that "fear" of motorcycle riding is "irrational". Personally and based upon firsthand experience with the potential consequences of highway motorcycle riding (see my response post to the OP), I view any reservations against this particular hobby/sport as healthy respect.

I don't think it is irrational at all. If you have weighed the risks and made a thoughtful decision that motorcycle riding is not for you, I can respect that.

We have 2 neighbors who were involved in car/motercycle accidents in the past 6 months--on COUNTRY roads...they were both seriously injured.

This past Saturday we drove past a FATAL motorcycle/car accident the car was barely damaged--the motorcycle was in pieces (and so was the rider). My older girls saw this and both swore to NEVER ride on a motorcycle.

My DH has a HUGE scar on his shoulder from a motorcycle accident. He was 16 and riding on the back of an adult friend's bike... He has not ridden since.

My MIL was a very 'social' person--you know the 'prim and proper' kind --her DH always had a suit on--except on the weekends when she and her DH would change into their leather and ride off on their Harleys! They stopped riding when a close friend of theirs was seriously injured.