Menu

POLL: About posting pics of other people's children on FB

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?  

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

• Agree
    • Disagree (please explain)
    • Neither agree nor disagree (please explain)

Do you agree or disagree with this statement:

You should not post pictures of other people's children on Facebook, tagged or not, without the parent's permission unless the children are member of your immediate family or are on Facebook themselves.

If you do not agree, I'd really like to hear why. :bigear:

Thanks!

I voted that I agree, but I have also posted a few pictures of (very close) friends' children, who are also on fb, who also post pictures of their children. They all know my privacy settings are super tight and if they ever asked that I remove a picture, I would certainly do so & not be offended.

I posted neither because I think you should get permission concerning any child from the parent regardless of whether the child has a FB account or not. My kid has one and I still don't allow posting of picts and I will ask anyone who does so to take it down. IF picts are not on my FB or my kids FB accounts, that alone should be enough of a clue that we don't allow our picts to be posted. BUt permission first.

I wouldn't post pictures of anyone without their and/or their guardian's permission.

However, our church frequently posts group pictures on their website without permissions and it doesn't bother me. I wonder if thoughts would be different in a group setting like that? Should a church on FB post pictures of camp, for example?

I disagree...simply b/c if I want pics of my kids up, I'll post them, but I don't want anyone taking it as free licence to post pics of them too, b/c I can delete them, etc. Its a 'my kids' thing.

Ftr, I don't have my kids pics on facebook, *and* have had to ask my mother to take down labeled pics of my kids from hers.

You should not post pictures of other people's children on Facebook, tagged or not, without the parent's permission unless the children are member of your immediate family or are on Facebook themselves.

Thanks!

Ftr I don't just bc they are family on FB means you should either.

I'm on FB, but would not appreciate my family posting photos of ME much less my kids.

I wouldn't post pictures of anyone without their and/or their guardian's permission.

However, our church frequently posts group pictures on their website without permissions and it doesn't bother me. I wonder if thoughts would be different in a group setting like that? Should a church on FB post pictures of camp, for example?

My boys just attended VBS, and the registration slips specifically asked for permission to post pictures of children (which obviously gives parents a chance to decline if so inclined :001_smile:). I think that is a good way to go for group activities.

I don't have any heat on this, because I haven't posted other people's kids on FB, but I think most people assume that if the families are friends it is OK. It hasn't occurred to me to object when my kids have been posted.

Most of the folks (middle aged like me) I know, if they use FB, they use it for posting pics of their own kids as an efficient way to get family news out. Sometimes those pictures involve other kids. I'm sure they would be taken down if asked. One dad I know is a great photographer and there are a lot of pictures on his FB page of his kids with their friends. It wouldn't occur to me to be offended.

That said, camps, classes, churches should get a permission slip signed and the ones we've used do get that signed. In the ones I've been involved with the paperwork, over 90 percent of parents consent, but of course you want to know who would have a problem. Many people are happy if their kid is on a camp or music school website.

Any organization should have a permission slip for photos and any media usage. And a designated person who is the only one taking photos (or several people easily identified - all people in red or with this tag) for protection both for the church and for the people being photographed. That way one can identify some random person taking snap shots. As a professional photographer, one can only take the picture and use it only as intended by the contract. I take your picts and decide two years later to use your pict for a webiste, I have to find you and get that usage approved. WHile I don't know if churches and such would fall under the same laws, they should at least get permission just to cover their butts.

The only people who would be posting pictures of my children would be people I have as friends. Any of them would take down pictures if I asked, though I wouldn't as I do not mind pictures being up. I would only post pictures of other people's children if my kids were in the picture , and would take them down upon request, even though my setting is friends only. Homeschool group functions that post pictures have given me a chance to see my kids in a light I may not have photographed myself, so I am always thrilled when they are tagged!:)

It doesn't bother me when friends of our post pics of my dd. Especially if they are at events we were present at like cottage weekends, parties or even afternoons of fun together. Now on the other hand my dd's godfather has a level of fame and some young fans have stolen pictures of dd from places they shouldn't have access to and posted them on their own fb site (I guess to pretend they are related or something). This bothered me immensely and it was a lot of steps to get these removed.

Let's say, for instance, that I have snap shots from a birthday party; and all the kids at the party have FB accounts with pictures splashed all over them. I see no problem with posting those pictures, tagging them, and marking them "friends only." Shrug. It's easy enough to untag pictures if you don't want your name associated with them.

Well, DD is young enough right now that most of her "friends" are children of my friends.

I probably have just as many pictures of DD's friends as I do her! Especially one family, who has a 7 year old girl and a 3 year old girl that are my daughter's "best friends". The girls, and their baby brother, are like family to us, and I've been best friends with their mother for over 10 years. I never asked about putting the pictures on there, but I also know her opinion on it. (That opinion being that she doesn't care!)

I honestly don't understand the problem with posting pictures. Then again, my facebook is all friends only, you can't see anything if you aren't my friend, so it is fairly private. But if I had pictures of someone who I knew would be upset over them being online, I wouldn't post them. If I had any questions, I'd ask. If someone asked me to take down a picture of them, I would, without being upset.

I disagreed. Life has changed. Everyone is photographed many times a day. Their pics will be out there. I just noticed today that two of my dc (11 & 13) not only are pictured on the main website of a community volunteer thing they do, but with their full names. As are all members. Ummm. Well, I'd never have given permission for that. A couple years ago, I'd have had a fit. Up until a year ago, I routinely refused all photo permissions for organizations, with or without names.

Honestly, I think everyone will need to just let it go. Privacy has changed. Like it or not. You can bang your head on the wall and get worked up about it, but it will not help. Their photos will be out there, everywhere, all the time, if you are out and about in the world. I am sure there are hundreds of photos of my dc on the web that I didn't authorize. Hundreds, at least. Everytime they are in a concert, workshop, volunteer event, community event, birthday party, etc. . . there are photographs taken. Many end up on community, business, or facebook pages.

Let it go. You are fighting a losing battle.

Personally, I don't name minor kids anywhere on the web, and generally don't even use my own kids' names (just one initial) on my own fb posts. On fb, I tag no-fb-account/minor kids with their parent's name sometimes. . . and of course the parent can then untag easily enough, tho' I've never had anyone do that to a photo I tagged. I tag fb member kids with their own name, of course.

It's hard to accept this nature of information being so public, but I am trying to adapt. I am trying to teach my own dc etiquette about not posting anything embarrassing about anyone, and not allowing pics to be taken that are embarrassing. . . b/c once a pic is taken, it is forever.

Any organization should have a permission slip for photos and any media usage. And a designated person who is the only one taking photos (or several people easily identified - all people in red or with this tag) for protection both for the church and for the people being photographed. That way one can identify some random person taking snap shots. As a professional photographer, one can only take the picture and use it only as intended by the contract. I take your picts and decide two years later to use your pict for a webiste, I have to find you and get that usage approved. WHile I don't know if churches and such would fall under the same laws, they should at least get permission just to cover their butts.

I believe that permission is only required when photos are used for commercial purposes. I don't know that churches would fall under this rule. I believe that non-commercial photography is generally free of regulation.

I disagreed. Life has changed. Everyone is photographed many times a day. Their pics will be out there.

Honestly, I think everyone will need to just let it go. Privacy has changed. Like it or not. You can bang your head on the wall and get worked up about it, but it will not help. Their photos will be out there, everywhere, all the time, if you are out and about in the world. I am sure there are hundreds of photos of my dc on the web that I didn't authorize. Hundreds, at least. Everytime they are in a concert, workshop, volunteer event, community event, birthday party, etc. . . there are photographs taken. Many end up on community, business, or facebook pages.

It's hard to accept this nature of information being so public, but I am trying to adapt. I am trying to teach my own dc etiquette about not posting anything embarrassing about anyone, and not allowing pics to be taken that are embarrassing. . . b/c once a pic is taken, it is forever.

:iagree:

Other than my vanity factor....not wanting a BAD picture of me or my child 'out there'....I just can't see the big deal.

For those of you who don't want your kids pics posted....Why? What bothers you about it.

I used your other, though I generally agree with your statement. The only exceptions are if the kids are part of the general environment, not part of the photo. There are times at public events that you just can't avoid getting others in the picture.

I disagreed. Life has changed. Everyone is photographed many times a day. Their pics will be out there. I just noticed today that two of my dc (11 & 13) not only are pictured on the main website of a community volunteer thing they do, but with their full names. As are all members. Ummm. Well, I'd never have given permission for that. A couple years ago, I'd have had a fit. Up until a year ago, I routinely refused all photo permissions for organizations, with or without names.

Personally, I don't name minor kids anywhere on the web, and generally don't even use my own kids' names (just one initial) on my own fb posts. On fb, I tag no-fb-account/minor kids with their parent's name sometimes. . . and of course the parent can then untag easily enough, tho' I've never had anyone do that to a photo I tagged. I tag fb member kids with their own name, of course.

:iagree:Plus, locks only keep honest people out.

I don't think you should post pictures of ANYONE, other than yourself, without first asking and receiving permission from that person. That includes your children, who, someday, just might resent that you put them out there in the public sphere for all the world to see.

I used to be a lot more wary of this than I am now. Our theatre organization did permission forms, never used last names outside on showcase... but then decided we would just make people aware and exclude those photos if they objected. After all they know we take photos for the local paper which lists last names with them as well as show information. We haven't had any issues arise.

For my personal pages I do take them and everyone whose photo I take knows that. If anyone ever asked I didn't post a picture of their child I would absolutely remove it with no question asked. We take them at field trips and kids parties and email links to the album to those without FB to see. My privacy settings are tight, but I think it is a great tool, when used with caution.

I think it is about using it responsibly -my friends and I are all "friends " of each other's kids, it is a huge help to have so many people monitoring kids photos and comments that if anything inappropriate ever made its way to their page I think I would have 30 phone called within a few minutes. Some of the photos the teens put up they don't realize how they come across, it's nice they hear from someone other than mom if something doesn't look as it should.

It's just never been an issue- my dd16 constantly posts pictures of herself and her friends, and her brother, and is frequntly tagged in her friends' pictures pasted all over FB. It is so far beyond controllable amongst my teen's social groups, it never occurred to me to make a fuss.

However...I guess it never occurred to me to post pictures of other kids, either, and I might think twice before doing so just because I am aware of peoples' privacy issues.

I put disagree because I don't post pictures of other people's children even if they are also on Facebook and are putting up pictures. Mainly because I have a different friend's list and they may not know all my friends. It's not fair for me to make a decision to widen the group of people with access to pictures of their children without permission.

I post pictures of my children on Facebook and my blog so my comfort level is pretty high but I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way. I did have a cousin post a video of my youngest singing on her Facebook and I wasn't real happy about that. I know very few of her friends and she actually posted in with dd's full name (first and last).

Edited to add: this is mainly with little kids. My oldest and her friends are posted all over the place and I wouldn't be as concerned with them. My dd's Sweet 16 party ended up having pictures on about 10 different Facebook pages not counting mine and dd's.

Thanks!

I voted disagree because I both agree and disagree with this. I am hypervigilent about my chldren's photos and actually rarely post any of them myself. If I do, I remove them fairly quickly as well after I feel family has had a chance to see them. So I agree that you should not ever post pictures of other peoples children on facebook without permission, no matter if they are family or not.

However, I also don't think that it is ok to post pictures of the kids even if they have their own pages and are posting pictures of themselves or if the parents are posting pictures. The main reason is control - the parents and those kids know who exactly are seeing the pictures. They know who their friends are. They don't know who all you have befriended. If you posted a picture of my child without my permission, I would not be happy. In fact when my brother did recently I told him to take them off and to never do it again because I do not know all the people he has as friends. It is the right to privacy and the right for perfect strangers to NOT know the names of my children or my family.

I voted that I agree, but I have also posted a few pictures of (very close) friends' children, who are also on fb, who also post pictures of their children. They all know my privacy settings are super tight and if they ever asked that I remove a picture, I would certainly do so & not be offended.

:iagree: There are pictures of my nieces on my facebook, but either they are pictures from their parents' facebook pages or they are pictures I have but they already have plenty on theirs' as well.

I have never posted pictures of other people's children on my FB...unless those children were high school or college friends of mine who had their own FBs. I specifically did not post some cute pictures of the little girl I babysat for a while *anywhere* online because I didn't know if her parents would be ok with it.

I have pictures up on my FB of my siblings, but those photo albums are very protected. Only my family members and close friends can see it. Most of those close friends have met my siblings. I would never post photo albums with my family in them for everyone to see. (The one exception is wedding pictures..and those are definitely friends-only and may exclude some of my FB friends.)

Also, I never tag people unless they have FBs, no matter their age. I may put first names in the description, but that's it.

One of my best friends posted on FB photos of one of my family's birthday parties. She specifically stated in the album description that only my family members that she was friends with could see it, so I didn't mind her posting it at all. We got to see the pictures and we knew no one else could!

Facebook photo privacy is very customizable, so it isn't really safe to assume that everyone on someone's f-list can see the photos just because you can see them.

Except it would be very difficult if you have a group shot (since you said tagged or not). If you were posting a picture of youth camp, etc with your child and others or people in the background. I don't see how you could ever get permission from everyone.

Thanks!

The bolded part I agree with.

To me the blue part means my child since my immediate family is dh, dd and I. Children of extended family are other people's children and fall under the bolded pard.

The orange part doesn't matter a wit. without permission from the parent/guardian I would not post. Some people can be tasteless.

Say someone has a pix of your dd swimming when her top accidentally came undone. With the reasoning that you already post pix of your dd on your FB account, it would be perfectly okay for said someone to post the pix they have.

I do appreciate the RIGHT you parents have to not want your children's pictures on the net...I just don't understand the concern. What can it hurt?

I think it is just part of our culture...

It is a safety issue. If a hacker happened to be a child molester also. Said hacker might like the look of your child and could conceivably hack FB, get your IP addy, then hack your server to get your physical addy, then kidnap your child. It is a long shot, but it is possible.

Then there is the friend of a friend who lives in the same town. F of F could like the look of your child. In a small town it is fairly simple to find people, but a determined person could find your kid even in a big city.

I don't like it that dd's pix is on FB but dh put some of her up on his account. And I'm on FB under a pseudonym and he (under his real name) has relationshiped us as married. So much for privacy. I don't think he would like it if I asked for a cyber divorce.

Edited by Parrothead

Say someone has a pix of your dd swimming when her top accidentally came undone. With the reasoning that you already post pix of your dd on your FB account, it would be perfectly okay for said someone to post the pix they have.

If the pictures were such that dd's top half was showing, depending on her age the pictures would be against FB's terms of service and could be reported and deleted based on that. The person who posted them would probably also get into trouble.

I really hope no one would do that. Whether or not posting embarrassing pictures on FB is ok could be its own thread...*shudder*

I don't think he would like it if I asked for a cyber divorce.

First....

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Hilarious.

It is a safety issue. If a hacker happened to be a child molester also. Said hacker might like the look of your child and could conceivably hack FB, get your IP addy, then hack your server to get your physical addy, then kidnap your child. It is a long shot, but it is possible.

I have a particularly beautiful child. No really, I do....No really I am not saying that just because he is my kid....oh well, anyway, I would worry more about same child molester seeing my child in Wal-Mart and following us home than I would being stalked on FB. So if that is what people are worried about....well, then hey, I'm just not worried AT ALL. Because I think even the Wal-Mart starker scenerio is a VERY long shot...

I have a particularly beautiful child. No really, I do....No really I am not saying that just because he is my kid....oh well, anyway, I would worry more about same child molester seeing my child in Wal-Mart and following us home than I would being stalked on FB. So if that is what people are worried about....well, then hey, I'm just not worried AT ALL. Because I think even the Wal-Mart starker scenerio is a VERY long shot...

:iagree:We are always getting stopped at the store, park, doctors office, library... to talk about how pretty and well-behaved DD is. I'd be more worried about one of those people than some random person off the internet.

Besides, short of breaking down my door and ripped DD from my arms, there isn't much someone could do to get her. She is never alone, not even at night, since we still co-sleep. All the precautions I take protect us from random strangers and random internet strangers.

:iagree:We are always getting stopped at the store, park, doctors office, library... to talk about how pretty and well-behaved DD is.

Same here with ds10...I remember once when he was about 4, we passed a couple of elderly ladies in Dillards and I heard one remark to the other, 'that was a particularly beautiful child.' :D So that is how I describe my son now. (it is true btw)

I only post pics of the kids of my friends and family who are on facebook *and* already have pics of their kids on facebook.

:iagree: If they are already posting pics of their kids, and I have no problem "tagging" them, then I'll do it. If they have a problem, they'll let me know ASAP and I'll take them off. It has never happened. It seems that people are very open with facebook pics of their kids, since they are shared with "friends" even though we all know about facebook privacy. :tongue_smilie:

If the pictures were such that dd's top half was showing, depending on her age the pictures would be against FB's terms of service and could be reported and deleted based on that. The person who posted them would probably also get into trouble.

I really hope no one would do that. Whether or not posting embarrassing pictures on FB is ok could be its own thread...*shudder*

I was making the point that someone else could post what a parent thinks of as inappropriate pictures. It was an example.

And really all you could do is ask. Once it is up, if it is not against FB policy, but yet inappropriate the person posting it has no obligation to take it off.

Edited by Parrothead

First....

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Hilarious.

I agree I do think it is a long shot, but it is a preventable long shot. I get flack from an extended family member because I post pix of dd on my blog. A more likely scenario comes to mind, but it is to disgusting to contemplate much less post on a family forum.

Other than my vanity factor....not wanting a BAD picture of me or my child 'out there'....I just can't see the big deal.

For those of you who don't want your kids pics posted....Why? What bothers you about it.

There are much bigger things for me to worry about. A friend of mine just posted a picture of my youngest with her youngest. They were with the Chick Fil A cow. I didn't even know she had taken it. All I thought when I saw it on her FB was how cute they looked. No big deal.

I just checked the FB help to see what it had about photos of minors on FB. This is what I found:

We will remove a photo of your child that you report to us provided that your child is pictured in the photo, is under 13 years old, and you have filled out the appropriate contact form in its entirety.

Please be aware that we are only able to take action on reports that come from a parent or legal guardian of the child pictured in the reported content. If you are not a parent or legal guardian of the child pictured in the content you wish to report, please advise the appropriate parties to view this page and make the request.

The actual report form states that your contact information may easily be given to the person who posted the photo in the first place, though, so that could be a very sticky situation in some cases. :glare: In any case, there is official recourse when it comes to photos of under-13-yo children.

They had another link within that article, for people ages 13 and up. On that help page it states:

If you live in a country where the law does not require the removal of unauthorized photos for privacy reasons, including the United States, we will not remove unauthorized photos at your request. You may want to consider contacting the user who posted the photo in order to request that it be removed.

So, parents can get photos of little ones removed, but once you're old enough to have your own FB you're on your own.

Thanks!

I mostly agree. I take it one step further though--even if the kids are on Facebook, I still ask each and every time I or dd wants to post photos.

I disagreed, but not in all cases. Obviously if you know the person would have an objection, or if it were a picture you thought they would be unhappy about (with them in a ridiculous pose or just not a flattering picture), it wouldn't be a good idea to post it. I don't think it should be tagged with a name (certainly not a last name) for privacy issues. But if someone doesn't know the kids, and it's a group shot, and a decent picture, I don't see the harm in it.